Espn just reported Ryan to be named Jets HC tomorrow.

JetsFanNick12

If the Jets have even average QB play over the last two years, no one is questioning whether or not Rex is a good coach.

Yeah, Sanchez is largely on Rex. He had a major hand in drafting him, and sticking with him. But he also hasn't had any alternatives for his entire tenure here. If the GM reluctantly went along with Sanchez, then the GM should've made sure he had a solid backup in place.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Jets have even average QB play over the last two years, no one is questioning whether or not Rex is a good coach.

Yeah, Sanchez is largely on Rex. He had a major hand in drafting him, and sticking with him. But he also hasn't had any alternatives for his entire tenure here. If the GM reluctantly went along with Sanchez, then the GM should've made sure he had a solid backup in place.

Wait, after every horrible Sanchez performance Rex said he saw ''a lot of positives in Sanchez'' <---If Rex cant see the problem he is part of the problem.

Wait, after every horrible Sanchez performance Rex said he saw ''a lot of positives in Sanchez'' <---If Rex cant see the problem he is part of the problem.

He tried benching him, too. Big problem there is that the bench also stinks.

I don't put a lot of credence in the stuff he says. He's a glass half full kinda guy. He talks his guys up. It's part of who he is. I don't think his attempts to keep his weak-willed QB's spirits up necessarily means that he doesn't understand that he needs better play from the position. I just don't.

When have you ever heard a head coach rip his starting QB to the media? You want to talk about a surefire way to "lose the team."

Im sorry, I forgot, youre really smart and one of the best posters on this site.

Sorry for criticizing a coach during a sh*tty season, my bad.

I don't put a lot of credence in the stuff he says. He's a glass half full kinda guy. He talks his guys up. It's part of who he is. I don't think his attempts to keep his weak-willed QB's spirits up necessarily means that he doesn't understand that he needs better play from the position. I just don't.

The offensive line was a joke too. they couldnt block a blits before the bye, and did nothing after the bye to fix it. that is complete and utter incompotence on the o libne coach and OC. and Rex has a responsability to do something about that, not look the other way.

I think Rex is good for the Jets, but he has to be reeled in by some people. and what I mean by reeled in is his big mouth. now that theyre losing nobody cares what he has to say, and it makes the Jets look like a joke for the first time since 1996.

Just coach and win and stfu or get out.. its that simple.

100% agreed. The act has worn thin, Hopefully they can get him an OC that could produce enough offense to let his defense do what they do. Competent would do.

The offensive line was a joke too. they couldnt block a blits before the bye, and did nothing after the bye to fix it. that is complete and utter incompotence on the o libne coach and OC. and Rex has a responsability to do something about that, not look the other way.

No no no.

Around here, all Rex is responsible for is having a decent defense.

As long as his defense is not terrible, he is doing a great job.

Offense and everything else that a HC is usually responsible for, other than defense, is someone else's fault, not Rex.

And now all is fixed because we got the Iz guy!

I'm feeling it, champs next year!

He lost the team the last two years. after the Giants game in 2011 and lol last year after the Patriots game where he played for a tie in regulation. when a coach loses the team that is not good, and is bleak for the future.

Technically, he didnt lose in 2011. He was .500 and had the team primed for the playoffs again at 8-5 until Sanchez imploded. I dont really remember too many games this season, I've tried to erase them from my memory but I dont recall how he played for the tie vs. NE. Didnt they kick a FG to take the lead with only like a minute left and the D couldnt make a stop to win the game? I assume he didnt want them to kick that FG but I guess its all about your perspective.

I dont believe Rex has lost the team. They play hard for him even when they dont have a shot at anything. With a decent QB, the Jets dont miss the playoffs the last 2 seasons. Some blame him for the QB and thats fine but I still think Rex is a good coach and look forward to seeing if he can turn it around. He's shown he can win despite having the one of the worst QB's in the league. Hard to find a coach that can do that.

My company has ties to the Ravens since their owner, owns my company. They've got this team psychologist that does a ton of team building events for our company, Dr. Joe Currier. He works the with the Ravens and knows Rex personally, I've asked him about Rex and his exact words were - "The most upbeat, sincere, optimistic person you'll ever meet".

Its just his personality. He's an eternal optimist.

I think the OL problems are way overstated. The real problem, IMHO, is the QB and RBs. A QB who didn't fold under the slightest bit of pressure, and/or a RB capable of attacking the hole would've made all the difference in the world.

I'm looking forward to Idzik being a real GM, and taking responsibility for the roster. Drafting smart, spending smart, collecting picks, etc. The big problems on the Jets are the overpaid, ineffective starters and the corresponding complete lack of depth. Be tough for any coach to have much success with the roster Rex had to work with last year. Does Rex share responsibility for that roster? Absolutely. I'm hoping that's come to an end with the hiring of a new GM.

FWIW:

My company has ties to the Ravens since their owner, owns my company. They've got this team psychologist that does a ton of team building events for our company, Dr. Joe Currier. He works the with the Ravens and knows Rex personally, I've asked him about Rex and his exact words were - "The most upbeat, sincere, optimistic person you'll ever meet".

Its just his personality. He's an internal optimist.

I feel so much better now about Rex, thanks for this!

As long as he is positive, and sincere, and some other good things, we won't need any offense, or any leadership.

Woohoo!

Rex!

Was Mangini a good coach when Favre's arm exploded? Was Herm a good coach when Pennington's shoulder collapsed? When you're making The QB Excuse for your coach, it's because you're in denial about your coach.

Was Mangini a good coach when Favre's arm exploded? Was Herm a good coach when Pennington's shoulder collapsed? When you're making The QB Excuse for your coach, it's because you're in denial about your coach.

Amen! Ecspecially when your coach drafted him, and developed him

I think Rex is good for the Jets, but he has to be reeled in by some people. and what I mean by reeled in is his big mouth. now that theyre losing nobody cares what he has to say, and it makes the Jets look like a joke for the first time since 1996.

Just coach and win and stfu or get out.. its that simple.

I think Rex knows he is on the short leash with this new GM. Rex has been pretty quiet and the only drama thats happened is the car wrecks :eusa_angel: since the new GM took over. I do not believe normalcy will last though.

BTW, welcome back. Nice avi.

I agree to a point. The difference is, Rex had a team good to great with Sanchez at the helm. Mangini and Herm never had as many as 11 wins no matter who the QB was and even in the Favre year the best they were was 8-3. Judging by the team he had Rex had 2 very good years, one bad year and one "eh" year. I can see guys wanting to blame him for not having a better team. With Idzik in place we should see a little better where the fault lay.

Favre and Pennington >>>>>> Sanchez

I suppose Pete Carroll is all of a sudden a great HC?

Rex is a significantly better coach than either of those guys. If/when Rex gets fired, he'll have DC jobs lined up, and probably some HC opportunities, too. No comparison. He's certainly imperfect, but he's nowhere near that level.

Mangini should've turned to Kellen Clemens. Rex didn't even have a QB of that caliber on his roster.

Your boy Tannenbaum got fired because he sucked at his job. His job of putting together an NFL quality roster. I don't think there's a coach in the league who could've coached up last year's team, especially once Holmes and Revis were done for the year.

By all accounts, this Idzik character is a smart dude. Hopefully he's a good hire. He's got a year to determine whether he wants to retain Rex or not. I'll be fine with either decision. But if Idzik can rebuild the roster, and Mornhinweg can coach the offense, I think Rex can be a very effective head coach.

Im sorry, I forgot, youre really smart and one of the best posters on this site.

Sorry for criticizing a coach during a sh*tty season, my bad.

I don't know who you have me confused with, but I have no problem with legitimate criticism. Complaining that a coach didn't do what no coach has ever done for obvious reasons is nitpicking and I'll call that out whenever I see fit.

So it made me laugh how back in 2009 a couple posters were talking about having a fat coach = team winning, while not a fat coach = losing.

Fat Rex = Two AFCC games, not fat Rex = losing record.

Just saying

As for all we needed was a QB and a RB this past season, well maybe not having the worst WR core in the league might have help just a bit also.

If the Jets have even average QB play over the last two years

Well, he didn't. And that lays on the doorstep of Rex too. He had a great investment himself in Sanchez. He did not do such a terrific job of providing him with great caching, either.

That the Jet offense has been terrible is also part in parcel in that Rex ignored it and allowed it to rot on the vine.

He can't be given a pass for that.

Well, he didn't. And that lays on the doorstep of Rex too. He had a great investment himself in Sanchez. He did not do such a terrific job of providing him with great caching, either.

That the Jet offense has been terrible is also part in parcel in that Rex ignored it and allowed it to rot on the vine.

The roster should be the GM's domain. If it wasn't, that was largely because Tannenbaum was weak and ineffective. Hopefully that changes with the new GM.

Rex was saddled with Schottenheimer, and made a poor choice with Sporano. I'm actually kinda optimistic about Mornhinweg, though. I'm not as down on Hill (not a Rex pick) as a lot of people here, and if Edwards sticks and Holmes returns, it's really not a bad receiving group. The OL is much better than the sky is falling crowd would have you believe, too.

Just because Rex doesn't coach offense well doesn't mean he ignored it. They wouldn't have drafted Sanchez top 5 in the first place, surrounded him with a strong O-line (extending Ferguson and Mangold in the process) and some talented guys like LT, Holmes, and Edwards if he didn't care about offense.

According to many here Rex makes the decisions on offense, so you can't say "oh, it was Tannenbaum's decisions to try to bring in new players and improve the offense (albeit unsuccessfully.)"

The only option this leaves is that Rex DOES care about offense, but sucks at coaching it AND was saddled with a sh*tty QB. None of that is some earth-shattering revelation, considering that most HC's are no more than adequate at coaching the opposite side of the ball that their expertise dictates.

This is ridiculously false. He absolutely didnt "ignore it". You can argue that his moves didnt work out, but ignoring it is flat out wrong.

During his tenure, they (whoever you want to point the finger at, him or Tanny) have signed numerous FA's on offense and through trades and he's selected more offensive players than defensive in his drafts.

Just because Rex doesn't coach offense well doesn't mean he ignored it. They wouldn't have drafted Sanchez top 5 in the first place, surrounded him with a strong O-line (extending Ferguson and Mangold in the process) and some talented guys like LT, Holmes, and Edwards if he didn't care about offense.

According to many here Rex makes the decisions on offense, so you can't say "oh, it was Tannenbaum's decisions to try to bring in new players and improve the offense (albeit unsuccessfully.)"

The only option this leaves is that Rex DOES care about offense, but sucks at coaching it AND was saddled with a sh*tty QB. None of that is some earth-shattering revelation, considering that most HC's are no more than adequate at coaching the opposite side of the ball that their expertise dictates.

Rex titled the phrase "ground and pound". We would have to believe that it is his mantra.

The problem is, today's NFL favors a different approach. Rex has failed to see that (unless he is now miraculously seen the light).

The apple does not fall far from the tree, and the same malady that Rex's daddy had (focusing energies on defense, expecting offense to take care of itself) may force him out of his job.

Rex is a significantly better coach than either of those guys. If/when Rex gets fired, he'll have DC jobs lined up, and probably some HC opportunities, too. No comparison. He's certainly imperfect, but he's nowhere near that level.

Mangini had the Browns job within a week. Herm had the Chiefs job before he quit. You're being revisionist.

Mangini should've turned to Kellen Clemens. Rex didn't even have a QB of that caliber on his roster.

Your boy Tannenbaum got fired because he sucked at his job. His job of putting together an NFL quality roster. I don't think there's a coach in the league who could've coached up last year's team, especially once Holmes and Revis were done for the year.

Whose fault is it that Rex didn't have a viable back-up QB? Tannenbaum sucked, but he does his coaches' bidding. Jim Harbaugh walked into a job with the first overall pick at QB and the first thing he did was draft his replacement, then had the balls to switch to that replacement in the middle of a Super Bowl run. I'll venture a guess that Mrs. Harbaugh doesn't have an Alex Smith tattoo.

By all accounts, this Idzik character is a smart dude. Hopefully he's a good hire. He's got a year to determine whether he wants to retain Rex or not. I'll be fine with either decision. But if Idzik can rebuild the roster, and Mornhinweg can coach the offense, I think Rex can be a very effective head coach.

You're saying here that if everybody rallies around to do what the head coach refuses or cannot do, even though it's the head coach's job, then Rex can be the defensive coordinator who gets to pretend he's a head coach.

This is ridiculously false. He absolutely didnt "ignore it". You can argue that his moves didnt work out, but ignoring it is flat out wrong.

During his tenure, they (whoever you want to point the finger at, him or Tanny) have signed numerous FA's on offense and through trades and he's selected more offensive players than defensive in his drafts.

So when Rex told us he was going to start "sitting in on offensive meetings", he was just throwing words out there?

I don't know who you have me confused with, but I have no problem with legitimate criticism. Complaining that a coach didn't do what no coach has ever done for obvious reasons is nitpicking and I'll call that out whenever I see fit.

Ok, Marshall Klecko, you run this town ;)

Archived