Espn just reported Ryan to be named Jets HC tomorrow.

JetsFanNick12

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mangini had the Browns job within a week. Herm had the Chiefs job before he quit. You're being revisionist.

Neither Mangini nor Herm was qualified to even be a coordinator in the NFL. If/when Rex moves on from the Jets, he'll find work in the league at a level no lower than DC for as long as he wants.

Whose fault is it that Rex didn't have a viable back-up QB? Tannenbaum sucked, but he does his coaches' bidding. Jim Harbaugh walked into a job with the first overall pick at QB and the first thing he did was draft his replacement, then had the balls to switch to that replacement in the middle of a Super Bowl run. I'll venture a guess that Mrs. Harbaugh doesn't have an Alex Smith tattoo.

I don't absolve Rex for the lack of a respectable backup, but the organization who allowed too many personnel decisions to fall to him is also to blame. Not many coaches can wear every hat in an organization. Rex, IMHO, is better served strictly coaching.

You're saying here that if everybody rallies around to do what the head coach refuses or cannot do, even though it's the head coach's job, then Rex can be the defensive coordinator who gets to pretend he's a head coach.

I'm saying most head coaches have GMs who are competent enough to put together a decent roster, and have coordinators who they delegate responsibility to. Rex is an undisciplined guy. I think he can be successful in a structured environment, though. He needs to be focused. Hopefully Idzik turns out to be a good hire, and really does have the authority as the head of the franchise.

I think Rex is a superior DC, and that's something worth holding onto. I think he's capable as a head coach, and I like the Mornhinweg hire. Maybe he's wisening up?

I'm willing to hope and root for that being that the reality is that Rex is gonna be here for at least one more season.

Rex titled the phrase "ground and pound". We would have to believe that it is his mantra. The problem is, today's NFL favors a different approach. Rex has failed to see that (unless he is now miraculously seen the light). The apple does not fall far from the tree, and the same malady that Rex's daddy had (focusing energies on defense, expecting offense to take care of itself) may force him out of his job.

Have you heard any of his recent interviews about that? He said that what was necessary for the team at the time because it fit their personnel. Probably had something to do with inheriting - Kellen Clemens, Jerricho Cotchery, Chansi Stuckey, Thomas Jones and Dustin Keller for his offense.

So when Rex told us he was going to start "sitting in on offensive meetings", he was just throwing words out there?

Not sure what that has to do with anything. Most coaches know one side of the ball (or none at all - see John Harbaugh) and thats what they stick with.

Hes in denial, dont even waste your time or give him more attention.

What am in denial about, my dear friend?

Have you heard any of his recent interviews about that? He said that what was necessary for the team at the time because it fit their personnel. Probably had something to do with inheriting - Kellen Clemens, Jerricho Cotchery, Chansi Stuckey, Thomas Jones and Dustin Keller for his offense.

If that is true, how can he commit to "a more open attack" with the personnel he has today.

Rex said himself "I need to spend more time with the offense". That tells me he was ignoring it. Head coaches oversee ALL aspects of the coaching functions. Not just the ones they like to coach. Otherwise, they are only equipped to be coordinators

If that is true, how can he commit to "a more open attack" with the personnel he has today.

Dont know...maybe they put a strong emphasis on stocking up on offense this offseason. The new OC is definitely a step in that direction.

Rex said himself "I need to spend more time with the offense". That tells me he was ignoring it. Head coaches oversee ALL aspects of the coaching functions. Not just the ones they like to coach. Otherwise, they are only equipped to be coordinators

Meh, he focused on what he's was comfortable with. He clearly isnt an offensive guy so what value would he bring in an offensive meeting anyway? I dont think thats uncommon, at all. I highly doubt John Harbaugh (and I could site many other examples), a career ST's coach has a lot of input in either offensive or defensive meetings but they still have success. Besides, HC's cant be in numerous meetings at the same time.

FWIW, I never was a Mornhinweg guy, but I appreciate the attempt. As a defensive coach, Rex should be able to gameplan against offense and see what he can't stop. This seems more to that end. I hated the Sparano hire, but it fit what he was saying. Thing is, I don't put much stock in what Rex says. I'm not worried about the defense going south without Pettine. It seemed things got better whenever Rex was involved. OTOH, I am worried about losing whatever discipline they had. Pettine seemed like the notetaker and Rex the rah rah guy. I would hope he can still keep them together. It's going to be an interesting year and I expect to continue fighting with everybody on the subject because as I've said before a good coaching job with this squad might not correlate to a playoff appearance.

Gotta admit that Harbaugh has some balls and foresight. As great a #1 overall pick as Alex Smith is and was (for some other coach 6 years before JH was hired), Harbaugh's Football Instinct told him that Smith was not a franchise signal caller. You don't get a guy who can make that kind of call everyday.

I highly doubt John Harbaugh (and I could site many other examples), a career ST's coach has a lot of input in either offensive or defensive meetings but they still have success.

John Harbaugh FIRED his offensive coordinator while his team was in a playoff chase. I would say he is involved.

Think Rex would fire a coordinator mid-season based on performance? Heck, he allowed coaches to speak out against him and numerous leaks.

John Harbaugh FIRED his offensive coordinator while his team was in a playoff chase. I would say he is involved.

Think Rex would fire a coordinator mid-season based on performance? Heck, he allowed coaches to speak out against him and numerous leaks.

POTW nomination!

Pure and utter ownage. Good job, Dierk.

Rex took playcalling from Pettine and then went right to his next guy when Pettine left. Defense won't blink on this transition either.

If Rex does not have a good defense, then none of this conversation is taking place. He would have been fired after year 1.

The problem is with Rex being accountable for an entire's team performance.

i wonder, if we went back to 2008 and told the fans on this thread the future.

hey the Jets are gonna make 2 AFC Champ games in the next 2 years, and then people will want Rex fired 2 years after that.

I really dont think its that crazy. Plenty of flash in the pan teams reach the title game.

And Rex Ryan has FIRED 2 offensive coordinators but he isnt involved. Got it.

i wonder, if we went back to 2008 and told the fans on this thread the future.

hey the Jets are gonna make 2 AFC Champ games in the next 2 years, and then people will want Rex fired 2 years after that.

If you told me it would be a fluke both years, followed by a badly downward trending team, after losing the locker room twice, having one of the worst offenses in football, going into the third OC in three years,

He'll yes, I'd have said back then that his ass should be fired.

Dont know...maybe they put a strong emphasis on stocking up on offense this offseason. The new OC is definitely a step in that direction.

Meh, he focused on what he's was comfortable with. He clearly isnt an offensive guy so what value would he bring in an offensive meeting anyway? I dont think thats uncommon, at all. I highly doubt John Harbaugh (and I could site many other examples), a career ST's coach has a lot of input in either offensive or defensive meetings but they still have success. Besides, HC's cant be in numerous meetings at the same time.

agree 100% with the bolded. If he could walk into an offensive meeting and start teaching a winning game plan along with making all of the calls he would be a football genious or any of us could learn to do it. He is a Defensive Genious, he relies on an OC to game plan and play call. he thought that if Sporano could concentrate on the Offesive side of the ball he would have a balanced team with a OC that saw the game as he did. Problem was, Sporano failed and cratered the team.

If you told me it would be a fluke both years, followed by a badly downward trending team, after losing the locker room twice, having one of the worst offenses in football, going into the third OC in three years,

He'll yes, I'd have said back then that his ass should be fired.

patriots and colts probably wouldnt agree that those were 2 fluke years. just sayin

You have just told me that "he isn't focused on what he isn't comfortable with. What value would he bring to the offense anyway".

Which is it with you?

You're too much. You cant handle being sh*t shoved in your face when you're wrong. haha. Its funny.

You said: "he's ignored the offense and let it rot on a vine". So I provide facts that prove you're wrong. FA's, draft, etc.

You said: "he needs to spend more time in offensive meetings" So I said, why? What value is he going to provide. He's not an offensive guy and give examples of other coaches who are similar.

You said: "but John Harbaugh fired his OC". So I said, yeah, Rex has fired 2.

But I'm the one who's not clear? lmfao. Yeah, ok.

You're too much. You cant handle being sh*t shoved in your face when you're wrong. haha. Its funny.

You said: "he's ignored the offense and let it rot on a vine". So I provide facts that prove you're wrong. FA's, draft, etc.

You said: "he needs to spend more time in offensive meetings" So I said, why? What value is he going to provide. He's not an offensive guy and give examples of other coaches who are similar.

You said: "but John Harbaugh fired his OC". So I said, yeah, Rex has fired 2.

But I'm the one who's not clear? lmfao. Yeah, ok.

2011: I love Mark!

2011: I love Santonio!

2012: Just kidding! I hate Mark!

2012: Just kidding! I hate Santonio!

2012: I love Rex!

2013: ????????

2011: I love Mark!

2011: I love Santonio!

2012: Just kidding! I hate Mark!

2012: Just kidding! I hate Santonio!

2012: I love Rex!

2013: ????????

Mark was tongue and cheek for the lulz. Homles is spot on. I have lost my love for him. Rex, my love has never wavered.

Neither Mangini nor Herm was qualified to even be a coordinator in the NFL. If/when Rex moves on from the Jets, he'll find work in the league at a level no lower than DC for as long as he wants.

Like Rex, Mangini and Herm made the playoffs. Like Rex, Herm started hot and drove his team into the ground--much of which can be attributed to losing the core players from the previous regime. I think it's fine that Rex is a good, if overrated, DC. So is Dom Capers.

I don't absolve Rex for the lack of a respectable backup, but the organization who allowed too many personnel decisions to fall to him is also to blame. Not many coaches can wear every hat in an organization. Rex, IMHO, is better served strictly coaching.

Again, you can keep stripping away the responsibilities that Rex should assume, but that doesn't really inspire confidence that he should be in charge of a team. The HC has to be the CEO. He has to lead. Rex has had two teams quit on him in back-to-back years. He's a lieutenant in need of a general.

I'm saying most head coaches have GMs who are competent enough to put together a decent roster, and have coordinators who they delegate responsibility to. Rex is an undisciplined guy. I think he can be successful in a structured environment, though. He needs to be focused. Hopefully Idzik turns out to be a good hire, and really does have the authority as the head of the franchise.

I think Rex is a superior DC, and that's something worth holding onto. I think he's capable as a head coach, and I like the Mornhinweg hire. Maybe he's wisening up?

I'm willing to hope and root for that being that the reality is that Rex is gonna be here for at least one more season.

This is all moot, anyway. Rex is Dead Man Walking.

Again, you can keep stripping away the responsibilities that Rex should assume, but that doesn't really inspire confidence that he should be in charge of a team. The HC has to be the CEO. He has to lead. Rex has had two teams quit on him in back-to-back years. He's a lieutenant in need of a general.

I don't agree. I think the GM should be the CEO, with the head coach being the president in that analogy. Some organizations run with the head coach in charge of everything, but those are generally guys who've done it already.

I think Rex brought in too many bad apples, actually believing he could coach anybody, and it bit him in the ass. I think last year's quit had everything to do with the obviousness that Mark Sanchez and the offense weren't going anywhere. It's why I'd swallow the cap hit and cut Sanchez. As raw a deal as I believe he got from the Jets, he's better as addition by subtraction at this point.

I think both Rex and Woody are learning on the job.

This is all moot, anyway. Rex is Dead Man Walking.

Maybe. If that's the case, I really hope Idzik was the right guy for the GM job.

Oh my bad. Duh. Dierking wins again.

You are an odd character.

You make this like this is some battle of wills where there is a winner and loser.

These are opinions that we are stating. Neither you nor I have a good handle on what really happens on the Jets. All we see are the results where we can then make guesses.

For you to sit there and chest thump as if your opinions are so much more right is a little said. Some call it small penis syndrome.

Good for you, your opinion is so much more important.

You make this like this is some battle of wills where there is a winner and loser.

These are opinions that we are stating. Neither you nor I have a good handle on what really happens on the Jets. All we see are the results where we can then make guesses.

For you to sit there and chest thump as if your opinions are so much more right is a little said. Some call it small penis syndrome.

He always cries that he cant get a woman. maybe he really does have a small penis.

I think that was more a knock at the BP attaboy post than anything you said.

It was a joke sweetie. I've told you I think you're good peeps. But carry on. It doesnt bother me.

He always cries that he cant get a woman. maybe he really does have a small penis.

I do have a small penis. Its tiny. You need a magnifying glass to see it. When I pee, I use tweezers to hold it. Plus, I've got a forest down there so its completely lost in my monster bush of pubic hair. I've got some insecurities but having good friends like you to support me helps!

Thanks for always being there for me BP. I truly value our friendship and your support. You're an awesome guy!!!

Archived