Espn just reported Ryan to be named Jets HC tomorrow.

JetsFanNick12

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked Mangini.

He implemented a system that held players accountable. He instituted a moral fabric into our player selection. He turned a football field into a classroom, and turned players into students of the game. As a teacher he found effective ways to make players pay better attention to what he wanted them to learn (names, assignments,etc.) But in the end, he struggled.

Perhaps the time that was obviously poured into teaching players the "company line" and playing hush-hush games could have been better spent.

Rex, on the other hand...

I think he wants to win football games by playing football. Instead of making players into students, I think he's going to make players into better players.... Believe-it-or-not, but not all jocks are great students. By coaching-up their athleticism (field IQ) I think the team is better served than making them better prepared for pop-quizzes.

Perhaps teaching a player how to be a responsible teammate is useful, but teaching a player killer-instinct will get you a sack on 3rd and 12.

Mangini would make for an awesome college coach. He would shape the lives of young men and make this world a better place.

This is the NFL though, I want a coach that will teach players to break legs if it means another "W". Rex strikes me as that type of guy.

I was just refuting your statement that Mangini was a successful D-Coordinator.

Agreed. Mangini was a coordinator for what one season? The Patriots rankings weren't that good then either. He was hired based on the thinking that he was Belly's boy. I think Mangini will be a good coach and that he did good things here.

Clearly though he has to mature and he would have benefited from a year off to re-think how he handles some things.

Rex Ryan? Time will tell, I thought Spags was a better fit but they are both unknown quantities at this point. So I will do what I always do as a Jets fan, hope for the best.

You're very well informed for a woman..

There really isn't much of a difference between Ryan and Mangini. Both were successful d coordinators on defenses with boatloads of talent.

What got me banned on JI was comparing Rex Ryan to Dick Lebeau.

Lebeau's defense failed big time with the Bengals because he didn't have the pass rushers to get to the QB. You can dial up as many blitzes as you want, but if you can't get to the QB you will get burned.

Ryan's defense makes a lot of big plays, but also gives up its fair share.

Give me Gruden.

When was Mangini a successful defensive coordinator?

Agreed. Mangini was a coordinator for what one season? The Patriots rankings weren't that good then either. He was hired based on the thinking that he was Belly's boy. I think Mangini will be a good coach and that he did good things here.

Clearly though he has to mature and he would have benefited from a year off to re-think how he handles some things.

Rex Ryan? Time will tell, I thought Spags was a better fit but they are both unknown quantities at this point. So I will do what I always do as a Jets fan, hope for the best.

you really thought spags was a better fit? why? you like the 4-3 better? personally i don't care 3-4 or 4-3. except for the fact that we have alot more 3-4 people in place already. just stop the damn run and get some ****ing pressure on the quarterback please. btw, i read somewhere that julius peppers wants to leave and play in a 3-4......would be a great addition. rex ryan is very well respected in defensive circles....might be able to lure peppers here.

I'm glad he'll be our coach but one of the things that I worry about with him is that he seems to have some Sutton in him in that he goes into prevent mode at times when he gets a solid lead. I've heard it from Ravens fans and we witnessed some of that first hand last year when he let up on Clemens to an extent. I can't wait to see some people here freaking out cause they were expecting him to go 100mph for the whole game.

You're very well informed for a woman..

There really isn't much of a difference between Ryan and Mangini. Both were successful d coordinators on defenses with boatloads of talent.

1st off, you don't have to be a tough guy to make a name for yourself here. Most of us learned very quickly this is not JI.

2nd, Mangini coached 1 season as a coordinator and that defense regressed from earlier years. Also, there were rumors that Belichick took over the playcalling midseason.

On the other hand, Rex Ryan, even with boatloads of talent, has had the defense playing at high levels for years.

Does anyone know if he's smart? I don't care about getting along with the players, great motivator, blah blah blah. There's never been a consistenly winning coach who had average or below average intelligence (see: Herman Edwards). If he's got a brain, I'm happy.

Um, Mike Ditka isn't exactly a mensa scholar.

We're keeping little Martyball so the offense won't be any better. I hope I'm wrong and Mangini held him back but I don't really think so.

You mean our offense that averaged 25.3 points per game and was ranked ninth in the league in scoring?

That's fine by me. If our defense improves, we win 11-12 games if we average the same points on offense as last year.

On the other hand, Rex Ryan, even with boatloads of talent, has had the defense playing at high levels for years.

And yet never got HC consideration until now. He got interviews, but no serious consideration until now and was even fired after last season only to be rehired once Harbaugh jumped on board. Thats how much the Ravens thought of Rex Ryan and his awesome defensive schemes.

Let the Epic Fail Era begin.

And yet never got HC consideration until now. He got interviews, but no serious consideration until now and was even fired after last season only to be rehired once Harbaugh jumped on board. Thats how much the Ravens thought of Rex Ryan and his awesome defensive schemes.

Read some more books

Let's give him a shot...what do we have to lose? Another HC who failed as a Jets HC...LOL. We are the revolving door of HC's...maybe, his link with his dad (who has a SB III ring) will bring us some luck...hell, we're over due.

I hope he can get something out of Vernon. Biggest question is how do you use him?

That would depend on Vernon. I'll at least give the kid this: he's got a lifetime of riches guaranteed to him even if he sucks. And he's taking it upon himself to work with LT all offseason. He may still suck & fail ultimately, but you have to like that attitude. At least if he fails it won't be because of a lack of effort from another in a long line of lazy punks.

How long before we're on photoshop putting a dunce cap on Rex. LOL If this franchise was dead set on using the "unproven head coach" model that has produced three prior "dunce cap" photos continuing to veer away from the strategy that brought them from 1-15 to 12-4 afcc in two years, which is hiring a SB coach, then Rex is the best of the bunch, I guess.

We ALL guess. NOBODY ON THE PLANET knows if this guy could coach! But at least he Blitzes!!!!

How long before we're on photoshop putting a dunce cap on Rex. LOL If this franchise was dead set on using the "unproven head coach" model that has produced three prior "dunce cap" photos continuing to veer away from the strategy that brought them from 1-15 to 12-4 afcc in two years, which is hiring a SB coach, then Rex is the best of the bunch, I guess.

We ALL guess. NOBODY ON THE PLANET knows if this guy could coach! But at least he Blitzes!!!!

It's also the model that was executed by 9 of the 12 playoff teams this year, including all 4 championship-game teams, both superbowl teams, and the eventual superbowl winner.

Live in the now, man.

That would depend on Vernon. I'll at least give the kid this: he's got a lifetime of riches guaranteed to him even if he sucks. And he's taking it upon himself to work with LT all offseason. He may still suck & fail ultimately, but you have to like that attitude. At least if he fails it won't be because of a lack of effort from another in a long line of lazy punks.

The bottom line, and I truly believe it, is that if VG can be good, this staff will get it from him. I think his development will give us an education in Mangini/Sutton and if they dropped the ball, or if the guy just can't get it done.

Archived