Rex Ryan...where do you stand?

Jetlag

This is for future bumping/"I told you so" purposes.

I'm going on record and saying he has accomplished nothing yet and needs to earn any respect. I'm not sold on him being the right choice.

Exactly. He hasn't proven anything. I still don't understand why people wouldn't want a proven winner over an untapped coach for their teams HC. Doesn't make sense to me. For all we know he could be as bad a HC as Kotite.

Would rather have gone after Gruden

Me too.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am totally in favor. No old tired retreads, a guy that is aggressive, creative and really wants to be here. I've heard nothing but good things about this guy. Will he succeed, who knows? We shoud all be rooting like hell for him to become a HOF coach though.

Wow. Sounds just like Eric Mangini three years ago.

Begin? When does it end?

I'm "cautiously optimistic". ;) I understand the guy is unproven and I have been on record as saying that being a good/great DC doesn't even guarantee you a competent D, but I actually like the Ryans. That's something new for me in a Jets coach.

Exactly. I like that he and his brother and dad have always run tough defenses that try to dictate the game rather tahn read and react.

Exactly. I like that he and his brother and dad have always run tough defenses that try to dictate the game rather tahn read and react.

We have Bingo !!!!

The biggest challenge Ryan is going to have in my opinion is just changing the image of the Jets.

Since Parcells and Groh left the Jets (in my eyes at least) have been a team that relies more on tricking you then going out there then just flat out punching you in the mouth.

Now granted it may take some time to get some guys to replace dogs like Bryan Thomas, but the defense should be alot better with Ryan in place.

Hopefully he builds a team that is defense heavy and has an offense that won't turn the ball over on a regular basis.

We have Bingo !!!!

The biggest challenge Ryan is going to have in my opinion is just changing the image of the Jets.

Since Parcells and Groh left the Jets (in my eyes at least) have been a team that relies more on tricking you then going out there then just flat out punching you in the mouth.

Now granted it may take some time to get some guys to replace dogs like Bryan Thomas, but the defense should be alot better with Ryan in place.

Hopefully he builds a team that is defense heavy and has an offense that won't turn the ball over on a regular basis.

Excellent post. I cant wait to see the Jets in a one Gap 3-4. I live to see Sunday's where we impose our will on a team with our defense!

I Think Kerry Rhoads has real ball skills he is not Ed Reid (who is) but you will see him but put in a position where he can use them. Not just playing center field.

This year we will see why we spent the money on Pace my gut say he will have a pro bowl year. And I finally think we are going to get to see why we got Vernon. When he does not have to "read & React" and we can just unleash him.

We will see pre snap movement. and creative blitz schemes. It the nature of the one gap you have no idea where the pressure is coming from so finally we see us hit a QB in the mouth.

100% on board with Ryan

Wow. Sounds just like Eric Mangini three years ago.

The difference here is that we were happy to get rid of Herm and fell in love with the whole idea of the Belichick tree. We were sold a false bill of goods because if we really looked at it, Mangini had only one year of DC experience. Ryan has 4 straight years of leading a top 10 D, which is not bad to have on your resume.

Huge fan of this move. I have much more faith in Ryan than either Hermy and Mangini.

As you should. He has accomplished something. Edwards and Mangini did NOTHING before they were hired as HCs. It is insane to compare Ryan to Edwards/Mangini. Now, if people want to believe it was all Balt's talent, and Ryan had little to do with it. Fine. Let's see if the Ravens have the #2 defense next year without him. If people want to say being a great DC does not automatically equate into becoming a great HC, they are right. But he has a lot more of a chance than the coffee getters did.

The difference here is that we were happy to get rid of Herm and fell in love with the whole idea of the Belichick tree. We were sold a false bill of goods because if we really looked at it, Mangini had only one year of DC experience. Ryan has 4 straight years of leading a top 10 D, which is not bad to have on your resume.

And it wasn't a good one.

As you should. He has accomplished something. Edwards and Mangini did NOTHING before they were hired as HCs. It is insane to compare Ryan to Edwards/Mangini. Now, if people want to believe it was all Balt's talent, and Ryan had little to do with it. Fine. Let's see if the Ravens have the #2 defense next year without him. If people want to say being a great DC does not automatically equate into becoming a great HC, they are right. But he has a lot more of a chance than the coffee getters did.

And it wasn't a good one.

I've read it was really only half a season after Beli took away the headset from him for general ineptitude.

Begin? When does it end?

I'm "cautiously optimistic". ;) I understand the guy is unproven and I have been on record as saying that being a good/great DC doesn't even guarantee you a competent D, but I actually like the Ryans. That's something new for me in a Jets coach.

GO REX

:)

When you don't even call Bill Cowher, you've lost all my respect and optimism.

LOL. I get ya.

By the way, they did call Bill Cowher. People have grossly misinterpreted what Cowher said in the Boomer & Carton interview. Tannenbaum contacted Cowher's agent (which is standard NFL protocal--teams don't contact coaches or players directly). Cowher said he never spoke to Tannebaum, meaning he didn't speak to him directly. But his "people" talked to the Jets' "people."

Regardless, this is ancient history

For the first time since Groh (Hated that hiring as well) I am just waiting for the Fail, just like the short Groh Era was a Fail.

We have been in the Fail Era, Dom.

Rex Ryan will bring the EPIC Fail Era. ;)

I'm so tired of these people talking about his defense. Hey guess what everyone, he isn't going to be coaching the Defense anymore. He is the Head Coach now. Totally different ballgame.

So you were more confident in Mangini? An underaged go-fer that never played, was a DC for one season and had the calls pulled by BB? Edwards? He wasn't even the DC. The only reason most of has a soft spot for him was the Miracle at Meadowlands. Al Groh was Bill Walsh compared to those two.

I guess you are just talking silly so that you don't jinx it, but it's still silly.

At this point it no longer matters what's done is done. THat being said I could reall care less who we got. If he brings the same intensity to our defence (and we do have most of the tools in place IMO) as with the Ravens then I am all for it - Keep Schotty and pray.

GO JETS

So you were more confident in Mangini? An underaged go-fer that never played, was a DC for one season and had the calls pulled by BB? Edwards? He wasn't even the DC. The only reason most of has a soft spot for him was the Miracle at Meadowlands. Al Groh was Bill Walsh compared to those two.

I guess you are just talking silly so that you don't jinx it, but it's still silly.

Lets see Dom, maybe I can make it simple for you:

Mangini: Belichick's staff

Herm: Tampa 2 / Dungy's staff

Not too hard to think why I'd be confident in them.

1. Eric Mangini will do well in Cleveland

2. Rex Ryan will get us to the playoffs and be a hero in 2009

I thought Mangini was inexperienced, needed better coordinators and had to "EAT" Favre.

Rex will do fine, defense will improve the question is who can run the offense?

BZ

1. Eric Mangini will do well in Cleveland

2. Rex Ryan will get us to the playoffs and be a hero in 2009

I thought Mangini was inexperienced, needed better coordinators and had to "EAT" Favre.

Rex will do fine, defense will improve the question is who can run the offense?

BZ

I have to disagree on Mangini by the simple fact he is in an impossible division.

When people say "Mangini will do well" I have to believe that they're saying so without taking the AFC North into account. The Browns play the Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals 6 times. It's easy to predict that the Browns would be 1-5 or 2-4 in the division. That's putting Mangini behind the 8-ball to begin with.

Mangini may "learn" to get better somehow (I don't believe he will since the Browns rewarded his methods by hiring him), it will be an extremely tough task to overcome that division.

Archived