Buyer Beware: Jets Should Not Pursue Ray Lewis

Maxman

Sorry Tyson, I disagree.

The impact Ray could have on this team seriously could last for years even when he's gone.

His leadership and intensity is unrivaled by anyone that I have seen in decades. The guy demands accountability from his teamates and the passion he exudes is infectious.

This team has lacked identity, emotion and intensity for...well...ever. Ray still has a couple of very good years left and everything he provides extra is worth the money.

IMHO

Very well written and a great read...just respectfully disagree.

I don't want him either, and it has nothing to do with him being an accessory after the fact in a murder investigation. No big money for old guys, including, I might add, one Brett Favre.

I agree. No more free agent splurges on older guys. If they can get a Scott or a Leonhard, fine. We took our shot with Favre last year, now get back to basics - sound drafting. If they don't think either Clemens or Ratliff can be the guy, draft a QB. We can get another couple of years out of vets like Jones, Jenkins, Pace, Ellis, Baker, etc. Maybe with a couple of additions and some sound coaching (for a change), the Jets can do something now. But I don't think they are a win now only team. They have a solid nucleus of younger players like Revis, Rhodes, Harris, maybe Gholston, Mangold, D'Brick, Moore, Keller, Cotchery, Washington, Stuckey, maybe Clowney, maybe Clemens/Ratliff.

Hold on to those draft picks and use them well. Forget Favre, Ray Lewis, Garcia, etc.

Sorry Tyson, I disagree.

The impact Ray could have on this team seriously could last for years even when he's gone.

His leadership and intensity is unrivaled by anyone that I have seen in decades. The guy demands accountability from his teamates and the passion he exudes is infectious.

This team has lacked identity, emotion and intensity for...well...ever. Ray still has a couple of very good years left and everything he provides extra is worth the money.

IMHO

That's the main reason I would be in favor of such a move. Ray Lewis would bring leadership, intensity, passion, and most importantly, accountability, of which is the perfect match for Rex Ryan's schemes. Even if his statpage production does eventually decline, I think a year or two of Ray Lewis could really help transform this Defense into that nasty, aggressive scheme that fans want to see.

Plus, you cite Team Needs as one of your arguments against him, well, I disagree there. One of our biggest Free Agents this offseason is Eric Barton, a man who happens to play the exact same position as Ray Lewis, and we don't appear to have any qualified replacements in-house. I would say a playmaking ILB is a need for this Defense. The pass defense problems were greatly exaggerated because of our lack of a consistant pass rush. It's only a matter of time until someone breaks free when you're only rushing 3 men. Improving the Front 7 (Not just scheme-wise, but personnel-wise) has a similar effect as improving the Secondary.

That's the main reason I would be in favor of such a move. Ray Lewis would bring leadership, intensity, passion, and most importantly, accountability, of which is the perfect match for Rex Ryan's schemes. Even if his statpage production does eventually decline, I think a year or two of Ray Lewis could really help transform this Defense into that nasty, aggressive scheme that fans want to see.

Plus, you cite Team Needs as one of your arguments against him, well, I disagree there. One of our biggest Free Agents this offseason is Eric Barton, a man who happens to play the exact same position as Ray Lewis, and we don't appear to have any qualified replacements in-house. I would say a playmaking ILB is a need for this Defense. The pass defense problems were greatly exaggerated because of our lack of a consistant pass rush. It's only a matter of time until someone breaks free when you're only rushing 3 men. Improving the Front 7 (Not just scheme-wise, but personnel-wise) has a similar effect as improving the Secondary.

Agreed. The 3 areas we need improvement is WR, CB and ILB.

I argued harder then anyone against bringing in Favre last year, but for these reasons I would love to see Ray Lewis lead our defense.

Sorry Tyson, I disagree.

IMHO

It'll be a great day when the Jets can consistently draft and develop their own passionate leaders, instead of having to borrow them from other teams.

It'll be a great day when the Jets can consistently draft and develop their own passionate leaders, instead of having to borrow them from other teams.

Yeah. A player who represents the Jets' core values. :lol:

Ray Lewis is too $$$ pricey to be seriously considered. Jets ILB needs would be much better served by acquiring the other Raven FA ILB, Bart Scott. Harris and Scott can play inside for years together. IMO...that makes more sense then a one or two year flyer with 34 y.o. Ray.

Bart Scott being younger and on the rise will probably cost more than Ray Lewis.

No doubt.

But at this point, we need to take how we can get it.

I'm with Fishooked. I'm tired of taking in other teams' over-the-hill leftovers. (Remember how Favre was supposed to invigorate our entire team with passion and confidence and child-like enthusiasm for the game?)

Bring in Bart Scott or a draftee.

I'm with Fishooked. I'm tired of taking in other teams' over-the-hill leftovers. (Remember how Favre was supposed to invigorate our entire team with passion and confidence and child-like enthusiasm for the game?)

Bring in Bart Scott or a draftee.

Its a good point.

I must say that I thought that way about Favre, but I think its even more the case with Lewis. And the reports are saying that he was kind of discontected from the team. I guarantee you that Lewis wouldnt be that way.

If we got Bart Scott, I would be happy as well.

I must say that I thought that way about Favre, but I think its even more the case with Lewis. And the reports are saying that he was kind of discontected from the team. I guarantee you that Lewis wouldnt be that way.

Very true.

I just tend to be biased against older players, and FA signings in general. My dream is that one day the Jets can be like the Steelers--a few hole-plugging FAs here and there, but mainly build through a constant stream of good drafts.

I agree. No more free agent splurges on older guys. If they can get a Scott or a Leonhard, fine. We took our shot with Favre last year, now get back to basics - sound drafting. If they don't think either Clemens or Ratliff can be the guy, draft a QB. We can get another couple of years out of vets like Jones, Jenkins, Pace, Ellis, Baker, etc. Maybe with a couple of additions and some sound coaching (for a change), the Jets can do something now. But I don't think they are a win now only team. They have a solid nucleus of younger players like Revis, Rhodes, Harris, maybe Gholston, Mangold, D'Brick, Moore, Keller, Cotchery, Washington, Stuckey, maybe Clowney, maybe Clemens/Ratliff.

Hold on to those draft picks and use them well. Forget Favre, Ray Lewis, Garcia, etc.

I aqgree. lewis is certainly past his prime and looking for a big score $$ . Let him get it somewhere else.

Very true.

I just tend to be biased against older players, and FA signings in general. My dream is that one day the Jets can be like the Steelers--a few hole-plugging FAs here and there, but mainly build through a constant stream of good drafts.

I'm not against FA signings but , like you've said, not with older players. The proven formula has been to sign players on their way up, not older players on the decline.

Are you seriously comparing the leadership ability of Kimo Vanoelhoffen to that of Ray Lewis???

So you're now comparing von Oelhoffen to Ray Lewis?

You guys are forgetting that Kimo was a HUGE leader in Pitt and also a HUGE part of their previous SB win...

He might not be as good as Lewis but both of them are older guys on the decline who once were leaders on their team that went to and won a superbowl...

Ray Lewis would certainly work out better for us than Kimo did I would hope... still doesnt change the fact that you cant lead a team if you cant perform at a high level consistently and lead by example...

The Jets have shown themselves entirely capable of drafting and developing passionate leaders. Take the recent examples of Chad and Vilma. The problem is that neither management nor fans fully appreciate the value of leadership, particularly when the player's performance slips from career highs.

You guys are forgetting that Kimo was a HUGE leader in Pitt and also a HUGE part of their previous SB win...

He might not be as good as Lewis but both of them are older guys on the decline who once were leaders on their team that went to and won a superbowl...

Ray Lewis would certainly work out better for us than Kimo did I would hope... still doesnt change the fact that you cant lead a team if you cant perform at a high level consistently and lead by example...

Ray Lewis is still 5x the player than Kimo ever was.

If you can get one of the Top 3 34 ILB to ever play the game, still playing GOOD, not great, who knows what Rex Ryan wants to do and can help form David Harris into a great 34 ILB, you do it.

You're losing it. Ray Lewis is a once every 20 years player/leader.

You're losing it. Ray Lewis is a once every 20 years player/leader.

He will not help the JETS for more than one season... they need a young leader not an old guy who is looking for his last big payday... think about how much and how long they paid Cmart after he was done/gone...

He will not help the JETS for more than one season... they need a young leader not an old guy who is looking for his last big payday... think about how much and how long they paid Cmart after he was done/gone...

Couldn't have said it any better. +1

Ray Lewis is still 5x the player than Kimo ever was.

If you can get one of the Top 3 34 ILB to ever play the game, still playing GOOD, not great, who knows what Rex Ryan wants to do and can help form David Harris into a great 34 ILB, you do it.

And how much do you pay this guy? the money does not match the talent at this point. Bart Scott makes sense Lewis does not

Archived