Spring Training Pictures

Morrissey

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can also choose to ignore entire groups.

Pinstripe goggle group may be an appropriate list to pick for you. ;)

I dont ignore anyone. Its stupid. How lame must you be to ignore someone over a dumb thread like this...

If I was cursing him out or making threats? Sure. But because of this thread? Lame. As lame as the Islanders.

Posada doesn't wear batting gloves, so he actually uses his urine so he doesn't get blisters.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/web/COM1040007/index.htm

Vladimir Guerrero, Angels Rightfielder "I tried to use batting gloves at the beginning of every spring training up until 1999," says Guerrero (currently hitting .309), one of a handful of major leaguers who bat bare-handed. "It just didn't feel good." While other Ungloved Ones may use pickle juice or rubbing alcohol to toughen their hands -- the Giants' Moises Alou sprinkles urine on his -- Guerrero does nothing special. "My hands got tough from pulling ropes tied to cattle when I was a kid [in the Dominican Republic]," he says.

Doug Mirabelli, Red Sox Catcher Mirabelli (.206) first took off the gloves while in Double A in 1996 and says batting bare-handed helps him get a better sense of the way he's hitting. "I can feel exactly where I hit the ball because of the sensitivity with the vibrations coming down the bat," he said. "I like the positive and negative reinforcements that I get from not wearing batting gloves. It lets you know if you hit it good or if you didn't, so you can make adjustments."

Craig Counsell, Diamondbacks Second baseman After seeing teammate Mark Grace bat bare-handed in 2001, Counsell (.295) gave it a try; his knuckles have been naked ever since. "For me, it's more comfortable," said Counsell, who wears gloves during batting practice to prevent calluses. "I'm surprised more guys don't do it; a lot of people are looking for a better feel, and I think it does give you that feel. But I think batting gloves have become such a part of the uniform that [most] guys just never do it anymore."

Doug Mientkiewicz, Mets First baseman Mientkiewicz (.216) recalls a painful at bat during an early-season game at Yankee Stadium when he played for the Twins in 2003.

"It was snowing, and I went out with batting gloves on," he said. "[ Yankees catcher] Jorge Posada, who doesn't wear batting gloves, called me a choice word, and he got in my head. I took the gloves off, and I hit one off the end of the bat. [Posada] was laughing at me when I got to first because he saw how much pain I was in."

Photographs: Robert Beck/SI ( Guerrero); David Bergman/SI (Mirabelli); Jack Dempsey/AP (Counsell); Andy Lyons/ Getty Images (Mientkiewicz)

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/web/COM1040007/index.htm

Vladimir Guerrero, Angels Rightfielder "I tried to use batting gloves at the beginning of every spring training up until 1999," says Guerrero (currently hitting .309), one of a handful of major leaguers who bat bare-handed. "It just didn't feel good." While other Ungloved Ones may use pickle juice or rubbing alcohol to toughen their hands -- the Giants' Moises Alou sprinkles urine on his -- Guerrero does nothing special. "My hands got tough from pulling ropes tied to cattle when I was a kid [in the Dominican Republic]," he says.

Doug Mirabelli, Red Sox Catcher Mirabelli (.206) first took off the gloves while in Double A in 1996 and says batting bare-handed helps him get a better sense of the way he's hitting. "I can feel exactly where I hit the ball because of the sensitivity with the vibrations coming down the bat," he said. "I like the positive and negative reinforcements that I get from not wearing batting gloves. It lets you know if you hit it good or if you didn't, so you can make adjustments."

Craig Counsell, Diamondbacks Second baseman After seeing teammate Mark Grace bat bare-handed in 2001, Counsell (.295) gave it a try; his knuckles have been naked ever since. "For me, it's more comfortable," said Counsell, who wears gloves during batting practice to prevent calluses. "I'm surprised more guys don't do it; a lot of people are looking for a better feel, and I think it does give you that feel. But I think batting gloves have become such a part of the uniform that [most] guys just never do it anymore."

Doug Mientkiewicz, Mets First baseman Mientkiewicz (.216) recalls a painful at bat during an early-season game at Yankee Stadium when he played for the Twins in 2003.

"It was snowing, and I went out with batting gloves on," he said. "[ Yankees catcher] Jorge Posada, who doesn't wear batting gloves, called me a choice word, and he got in my head. I took the gloves off, and I hit one off the end of the bat. [Posada] was laughing at me when I got to first because he saw how much pain I was in."

Photographs: Robert Beck/SI ( Guerrero); David Bergman/SI (Mirabelli); Jack Dempsey/AP (Counsell); Andy Lyons/ Getty Images (Mientkiewicz)

oh yea hahaha i remember hearing that before.... Johnny Blanchard told me one time they never used batting gloves back in the days... He, Mickey Mantle and others would use a golf glove until they got a good clais on there hand and could then hit bare handed

oh yea hahaha i remember hearing that before.... Johnny Blanchard told me one time they never used batting gloves back in the days... He, Mickey Mantle and others would use a golf glove until they got a good clais on there hand and could then hit bare handed

It was not THAT long ago when the majority did not use batting gloves.

I remember Rusty Staub sticking out when he used them

sad thing is that urine/pickle juice isnt overly effective. The urea in urine softens the hands, which any good skin lotion will do. But ballplayers are superstitious and will do whatever they feel gives them an edge, even if its just mental.

sad thing is that urine/pickle juice isnt overly effective. The urea in urine softens the hands, which any good skin lotion will do. But ballplayers are superstitious and will do whatever they feel gives them an edge, even if its just mental.

Pickle juice worked for Nolan Ryan when he needed to toughen up his skin.

Ryan cut his finger tips catching insects as a youngster, and that spot would become irritated after pitching.

The Mets had him soak the tips in pickle juice. Did the trick.

Remember thisf rom a book I read in 5th grade.

yea i rather just get a contract with Franklin and get a little side cash for using there gloves

Pickle juice worked for Nolan Ryan when he needed to toughen up his skin.

Ryan cut his finger tips catching insects as a youngster, and that spot would become irritated after pitching.

The Mets had him soak the tips in pickle juice. Did the trick.

Remember thisf rom a book I read in 5th grade.

at least you learned something in school... what ways can you use that in real life?:D

Archived