Favre To Retire: MERGED 11X

afosomf

How did you feel after the Jets beat the Titans in Tenn, people were talking about the Jets being a SB contender and Favre an MVP candidate?

I started to think that I might be wrong, but it turns out that I was mistaken. :P

Brett had been folding in recent Decembers, and the Jets are pretty infamous for the same sort of act. Bringing the two together could only bring about monumental collapse.

I was also giving more credit to the Jets dee than Favre at the time, with Kerry Jenkins leading the way. Seems he got hurt/became ineffective around the same time as Brett. That didn't help matters much, either.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, how did it set the Jets back any??

The Jets wanted Kellen to win the starting job before the trade went down. I think he would've, or Pennington would've been on a very short leash. Either way, we'd have a much better idea of what we have in Clemens right now - maybe even a guy who built his confidence up in '08 and is raring to go in '09. Or a guy who just doesn't have it. Either way, they'd know if they needed to spend at the position, draft a QB high this year, etc.

But as a result of the trade, the Jets are starting from scratch at the position. Having to divide precious reps evenly between two or three players, all while trying to decide if any of them are good enough to start.

We'd also be in position to trade Pennington for something, and get him out of the division - instead of handing the fish the NFL's comback player of the year for nothing.

Those are setbacks.

The Jets wanted Kellen to win the starting job before the trade went down. I think he would've, or Pennington would've been on a very short leash. Either way, we'd have a much better idea of what we have in Clemens right now - maybe even a guy who built his confidence up in '08 and is raring to go in '09. Or a guy who just doesn't have it. Either way, they'd know if they needed to spend at the position, draft a QB high this year, etc.

But as a result of the trade, the Jets are starting from scratch at the position. Having to divide precious reps evenly between two or three players, all while trying to decide if any of them are good enough to start.

We'd also be in position to trade Pennington for something, and get him out of the division - instead of handing the fish the NFL's comback player of the year for nothing.

Those are setbacks.

Still dont see the setback. Clemens feels that he is far better for the time he spent with Brett and if he is going to be good he will be good next year too.

Still dont see the setback. Clemens feels that he is far better for the time he spent with Brett and if he is going to be good he will be good next year too.

He's saying the right things. He'd actually be better off if he'd gotten on the field last year. The Jets would be better off, too.

Damn, you beat me to it.

He's saying the right things. He'd actually be better off if he'd gotten on the field last year. The Jets would be better off, too.

That is a 100% right.

Signing Brett was not a 100% failure. Giving the long suffering fans something to cheer for is great.

However, short of a title, trading for Farve was always going to be a lose proposition.

The guy grew up idolizing Brett, he isnt just just saying the right things. I also heard Kellers interview and you could tell that he was genuinely upset about the retirement news.

There is no scenario that has the Jets being better off if Kellen Clemens saw playing time last year.

There is no scenario that has the Jets being better off if Kellen Clemens saw playing time last year.

Sure there is. Even if he flat out sucked, at least they'd know that he flat out sucks and they could just cut his ass. You know, like if he played almost as bad as the last month Brett Favre's career or something.

But I guess they feel there's some potential upside, too.

Archived