Thug Turd fast Food style

SouthernJet

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, my grandma - who is from Italy - never called it gravy. Ever. This would be the same grandma with the veggie garden who grew and jarred her own tomoto sauce, used to raise and kill rabbits, goats, sheep and lord knows what else, makes sopressata, cheese, blood pudding (yuck), vinegar gelled pigs feet, and wine. Brotha, please....

sorry, but both must be right,,but gravy is very used as a term by many italians,,i have heard it forever and just called a friend who is old world italian and he said 'of course, gravy is sauce with meat',,,just cause you never heard doesnt mean zip,,just like cause others have heard it doeesnt mean its right,,to your side of family its not used,,too many others it is..

maybe its a regional term in italy,,nothern, southerm , sicilain etc

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081130145229AA1f4py

OK this is my take.

Grew up in South Brooklyn, in an Italian neighborhood.

Marinara is sauce, tomatos, garlic, herbs cook 30 - 45 minutes.

Gravy, ummm, Sunday, tomatos, through a Mouli food mill, paste, meatballs, sausage, some form of pork, ribs, neck bones, beef braciola (Spell?)

start cooking in the morning had dinner after Mass, usually about 2.

And nobody ate pasta, it was macaroni.

icon_hungry.gif

Have a local restaurant that does Grandma's Sunday Gravy on sunday and serves it family style. icon_hungry.gif

gravy.jpg

http://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19602

sorry, but both must be right,,but gravy is very used as a term by many italians,,i have heard it forever and just called a friend who is old world italian and he said 'of course, gravy is sauce with meat',,,just cause you never heard doesnt mean zip,,just like cause others have heard it doeesnt mean its right,,to your side of family its not used,,too many others it is..

maybe its a regional term in italy,,nothern, southerm , sicilain etc

Hey, I hear yah. I just remember Grandma (who was a very, very tough cookie) telling me that she would slap me if I ever called it "gravy." It's been ingrained in my brain. As messed up as that is.

Further, if I called pasta, macaroni - I'd get a kick in the ass!

Hey, I hear yah. I just remember Grandma (who was a very, very tough cookie) telling me that she would slap me if I ever called it "gravy." It's been ingrained in my brain. As messed up as that is.

Further, if called pasta, macaroni - I'd get a kick in the ass!

intersting read

THE JOY OF GROWING UP ITALIAN, Author Unknown

I was well into adulthood before I realized that I was an American. Of course, I had been born in America and had lived there all of my life, but somehow it never occurred to me that just being a citizen of the United States meant I was an American. Americans were people who ate peanut butter and jelly on mushy white bread that came out of plastic packages. ME?? I was Italian.

For me ... as I am sure for most second-generation Italian-American children who grew up in the 40s or 50s, there was a definite distinction drawn between US and THEM. We were Italians. Everybody else

Well, I'm a first generation and l tell yah, one of my biggest regrets was not embracing my Italian Heritage when I was younger. I just wanted to be like everyone else. For example, I remember elemetary scool - all my freinds would have bologna and cheese sandwiches or PB and Jelly......I was soooo envious. I wanted to be like them instead of sticking out like a sore thumb with my huge Italian sub in real Italian bread....my friends would just drool and call my lucky. I thought I was incredibly unlucky. Stupid little girl, I was.

yes exactly when my mom makes gravy she puts sausage meatballs and short ribs.. when she makes sauce there is no meat and we usually use that for quick pasta meals or for baked ziti and stuff

No different than people calling soda

Pop in Buffalo

Tonic in Ma$$hole

yea thats funny to.. when i was in Minnesota i asked for a soda and they brought me soda water... and then when i said i wanted a coke not soda water she said oooooo you want a pop im sorry... freakin northern folks lol

If you ordah a gin & tonic in Boston ..not sure what you get:D

• 5 years later...

from AP

According to the Associated Press, after 30 years of growing popularity, rap music is now struggling with an alarming sales decline and growing criticism from within about the culture's negative effect on society. Rap sales slid a whopping 21 % the past year, and for the first time in 12 years, no rap album was among the top 10 sellers of the year. A recent study by the Black Youth Project showed a majority of youth think rap has too many violent images. In a poll of black Americans by The Associated Press and AOL-Black Voices last year, 50% of respondents said hip-hop was a negative force in American society.

Can you update this please?

Archived