Thoughts on Pats/Raiders game

RSJ

-Good job by Pats in taking advantage of the Raiders Rookie CB.

-Turner waited way to long in going to crockett as a change of pace guy.

-Jordan was a nice compliment to C Martin. Not that he shouldn't have been used more by the Jets. It's just that he dances way too much in the whole and does not follow his blocks.

-The Raiders team overall was what I expected. They still need time to gel but will be very good, imo.

-The Raiders had way too many penalties many of which they deserved. But the Pats continue to not get penalized enough. Two plays come to mind off the top of my head although I saw many more - One was when the Pats clearly interfered with moss in the endzone - then to top it off Rodney "cheapshot" Harrison gets up and pumps his fist in the officials face - any other player and this is a 15 yard penalty - guarenteed. Try imagining Moss or Sapp pulling this. Then the other was the clothesline tackle by Harrison on special teams. Again try imagining someone else tackling like this. Bottom line is that the Pats continue to get love from not only farmerboy and tx but also the officials.

PS - Not only so I hate farmerboy, Tx and Richard Seymours guts - I also hate Rodney Harrison's.

LaMont Jordan did no worst against the Pats than Martin has the last two years and all of a sudden he is not good enough?

Quite simply, when the Pats go five-wide out of the shotgun they are pretty ridiculous to stop. Even if Ty Law shuts down one of their receivers, can we cover the other 4?

Quite frankly the Pats did jack-sh*t from 5 wide until they began picking on the rookie Route.

You are not hearing me dissing Jordan here - he did very well. You still need a change of pace guy for him - like all runningbacks.

- Tom Brady looked sharp and he has all day to throw the football

- Corey Dillon was sulking the entire 1st qtr.

- The Raiders have zero pass rush

- Kerry Collins will not last the entire season if his O-line continues to play this way

- Warren Sapp who?

My thoughts...

About the penalties. I saw the plays you were referring too and they were missed calls but here's what I think. The average Jet fan is going to notice stuff like that and tend to discount what isn't called against the other team. If they didn't, there would be a whole lot less to write about here.

The Raider's run D was like whoah....either that or our O line just can't run block.

Randy Moss is going to make Kerry Collins an even worse QB. I counted at least 3 plays where he didn't even look anywhere else and drilled it to Moss who happened to be in triple coverage. One was nearly picked and returned for a td.

The Raiders are just a poorly coached team. Some oif those penalties are just inexcusable. Norv Turner = Dave Wanstedt

exactly. They've got major issues with fundementals. Tackling, penalties (especially drive-killing penalties), lack of urgency, not finishing blocks. On paper they're loaded with talent, but compared side-by-side with a well coached team, they look undisciplined and poorly prepared.

Lamont was not given half a chance because of terrible play calling. He was lighting it up early on until their offense became completely predictable.

Kerry Collins is terrible. When in the face of the blitz, he makes Drew Bledsoe look like Donovan McNabb.

Why do teams insist on playing zone coverage against the Pats? Tom Brady picks it apart every single time. I have never seen so many recievers that are just sitting there wide open. This also happens every time the Jets play the Patriots. Zone coverage just does not work against New England.

Where the hell were Gabriel and Curry? Collins didn't even attempt to pass it to someone not named Moss, Porter, Jordan, or Anderson until after the game was out of reach.

However, this game does give me hope that we can beat New England. The Raiders played horrible and they would been leading in the fourth quarter if it wasn't for Wilfork's "interception" and Janikowski's missed FG.

how come nobodies critcizing cory dillon? 23 for 73 against the raiders wont cut it against a real defense

I definetly would if it were his fault. He had no room to run and the Raiders had pressure up the middle all day long vs. the rush. He isn't jesus christ or anythign hes not gonna turn water into wine, ask anybody who watched the game the Pats O-line stunk run blocking.

Lamont looked tired half the game hes indecisive when he rushes up the middle. Great ability to catch the ball in the open field and make the first person miss though. He needs to choose a hole and hit it hes 5'10 230 why is he dancing at the line like hes ron dayne.

He needs to choose a hole and hit it hes 5'10 230 why is he dancing at the line like hes ron dayne.

because he's not really a power back. this is been the big secret of the offseason. He's a finesse back in a power back's body.

there was one play back when LJ was a Jet, it was a goaline run from the one - he ran almost 25 yards to the corner rather than going up and over. The guy got in but he's not a power back and never will be.

Just wait until he starts getting hurt and fumbling...

RE: Pats - Brady looked good but overall they beat a very bad team tonight. like 3-13 bad. Now granted that doesn't take away from the victory - i believe that any team can win any given sunday - but trust me when i say the Raiders will suck this season.

As far as i'm concerned the Pats are still the team to beat. Once Bill Belichick is able to 'scheme' against other teams---look out. I thought the Raiders actually had a better chance to win tonite then they would say in week 8 just b/c the Pats wouldn't be able to prepare as well...Once every team plays a game and they can scout, the Patsies will be tough to beat...

I have faith the JETS will win the division this year..but in the same breath...to be the best, you have to beat the best...3/4 Super Bowls in my book is "the best"

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL !??!

The Pats offense in the second half struggled making the adjustments against the Raiders pass rush. Second half adjustments were Weis' forte. It took the Pats an entire quarter to figure out what to do. Still, they looked very good again, and reports of the death of the Pats dynasty have been grossly exaggerated.

He had two catches, should have had a third (would have had they replayed it, IMO) and then was quiet in the 2nd half (though I didn't see him on the field a ton).

But IMO Ben Watson "flashed" tonight. Those two catches were BIG catches and showcased how his speed makes him an unusual vertical threat at TE.

IMO very encouraging. Teams are gonna have a REAL rough time dealing with him, particularly when he is just a part of the offense and not a main focus (ie, the Pats have no need to force feed him).

The Pats offense in the second half struggled making the adjustments against the Raiders pass rush. Second half adjustments were Weis' forte. It took the Pats an entire quarter to figure out what to do. Still, they looked very good again, and reports of the death of the Pats dynasty have been grossly exaggerated.

Very good point TS, and I said all along that the CW's greatest strength was his ability to make adjustments.

That was evident in the 2nd half.

All in all, I thought the offense looked very good. The Raiders LB's did an exceptional job filling the gaps quickly on running plays and stuffing Dillon.

Outside of his 8 yard TD run, he had zero holes to run through.

And why do teams continue to play zone coverage in the secondary against Brady? :shock:

He picks apart zone coverage. =D>

LaMont Jordan did no worst against the Pats than Martin has the last two years and all of a sudden he is not good enough?

Quite simply, when the Pats go five-wide out of the shotgun they are pretty ridiculous to stop. Even if Ty Law shuts down one of their receivers, can we cover the other 4?

I agree with you on this statement! Lots of guys who doubted LAMONT will be pounding their chests today. Why?

Very good point TS, and I said all along that the CW's greatest strength was his ability to make adjustments.

That was evident in the 2nd half.

All in all, I thought the offense looked very good. The Raiders LB's did an exceptional job filling the gaps quickly on running plays and stuffing Dillon.

Outside of his 8 yard TD run, he had zero holes to run through.

And why do teams continue to play zone coverage in the secondary against Brady? :shock:

He picks apart zone coverage. =D>

[-X

You guys seem to be overlooking the atrocious play of the Raiders pass defense. On Troy Brown's TD, the Raiders dropped 8 men into coverage, and Brown still got wide open at the five. His TD was more a product of horrible pass defense than Brady's ability to pick apart zone defenses (Note: I'm not saying Brady isn't an excellent QB, but on this particular play the Raiders disgusting D made his job extremely easy).

One more thing: Ben Watson is going to be a star in this league.

All in all the PATS still look good but are showing a few signs of vulerablity that will make them easier to play this year. Fon't pick on Dillon as I would love to have him. He needs carries, and that is something he does not always get with the pats. He gets stronger as the game goes on and can always break one form anywhere on the field. As stated if he does not get his carries he may become a little lethargic.

THat said, To be the man ytou gatta beat the man. It will still be tough to beat the pats this year but I think we will have the weapons to do it. We will at least split if not take 2.

1) Our pass rush will not give brady the time to sit back and pick us apart. We will scheme and blitz enough to keep him thinking and have Happy feet. THe will not adjust as fast without Wiees calling the plays.

2) BB loved eating up can't hacket. It was a battle of wits and hacket was armed with a spoon, BB howitzer. Now bill has lost his right hand man on defense and has more to worry about on offense. He is also matched against an OC who thinks and adjusts and will try to exploit some of the Pats deficiencies. LC will also make a huge difference as he is tough big game big play type of receiver. THe 2nd and 3rd recievers will have a bigger role as well as the TE. THe Jets will no longer be as predictable.

3) THe pats lose intangables with Brewski being out.

4) Additions to the kicking game bring the jets closer to the pats.

All in all the games will be a war I will enjoy watching.

J E T S JETS JETS JETS

Pretty much business as usual.

Pats struggled at times but the were never in any real danger of losing the game.

Brady was buisness as usual. Did anyone catch him chewing out Dillon after I think it was the first Pats TD ? What was that all about ?

Pats hold serve. Now the Jets turn.

how many yds did the poorly coached raiders give up on special teams due to penalties?

zone defense & brady with time to throw spells disaster for any defense.

ben watson looked very good.

I gotta bad feeling we're gonna be saying pats woulda lost if only.........

a lot more than we care to this year.

even the defense came on strong in the 2nd half. yikes!!!!!

I do think weiss & bruschi will be sorely missed as the season wears on.

Offense will not be an issue for the Pats and the run blocking will improve. I think BB played it very conservative in the second half - that is why the Offense looked stagnant. For those of you that think/thought the loss of Weiss will greatly effect the Pats O are sadly mistaken. However, did ya notice how the run defense was much improved in the 4-3? Seymour was immense! The Pats secondary - minus that one hiccup - looked awewome - and trust me on this one - I had an ariel view :lol:

Offense will not be an issue for the Pats and the run blocking will improve. I think BB played it very conservative in the second half - that is why the Offense looked stagnant. For those of you that think/thought the loss of Weiss will greatly effect the Pats O are sadly mistaken. However, did ya notice how the run defense was much improved in the 4-3? Seymour was immense! The Pats secondary - minus that one hiccup - looked awewome - and trust me on this one - I had an ariel view :lol:

Did you have an aerial view of ariel from The Little Mermaid? She's a cutie.

0736421025.jpg

Kuddos to Garb for calling the Pats switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3 (If I'm not mistaken, she called it early on in training camp).

Jarvis Green and Mike Vrabel had outstanding games.

BTW Garb, Troy had a very impressive game as well. :wink:

Archived