Is Ron Jaworski a genius or any idiot (I'm hoping Genius)

lawngnome o-line

On ESPN Insider Ron Jaworski and Sean Salisbury both were asked to answer the question "Fact of Fiction: The Super Bowl will be a rematch, Patriots vs. Eagles. Ron Jaworski said:

Fiction: The AFC East will send a representative to the Super Bowl, but it's going to be the New York Jets in what will be an all-green Super Bowl (Jets vs. Eagles). The Jets have been a very good team over the past few seasons, but this is the season where it will all come together. They added TE Doug Jolley and WR Laveranues Coles, who will help in the passing game. In addition to that, Chad Pennington should be 100 percent and ready to lead this team to the "big game."

I know this is wishful thinking, but out of the ESPN analysts, Jaworski is one of the better ones. Just figure I throw it out there and see what people think.

And by the way Salisbury said:

Fiction: Nope, there will be two new teams this season. My pick is the Panthers and Colts battling it out this season for the ultimate prize. The Eagles and Patriots have done a tremendous job over the past few seasons dominating the competition surrounding them, but I can't see both teams keeping up that level this season. Eventually, Tom Brady has to make a mistake in a big game or Adam Vinatieri has to miss a kick.

Breaking News into the ESPNEWS studio!

.........Corey Simon is NOT a run stuffer.

Funny sh#t.

The Colts sign Corey Simon, and now all of a sudden he is a great run stuffing D-Tackle? He's like 290lbs and is really just a pass rushing force (a very good one I'll say), but he is not a run stuffing Dtackle. He wont improve that run D by any great means, IMO.

What was the eagles problem on defense last year???

STUFFING THE RUN.

Who played on the eagles last year?

Corey Simon.

One way or another, the SB rep. from the AFC this season will be a "shocker". I just don't see the Pats, Steelers, Ravens or Colts getting there. Each has flaws that put them on the outside looking in.

My Super Bowl team from the AFC will be one of 3 teams:

Jets

Chargers

Bengals

Call me crazy, but each of those teams have reason to believe in miracles this year. All have had terrible histories, but all have the right components for a SB winner:

1) competent coaching (Herm sucks, but at least he has a couple sweet coordinators, Lewis is a genius, and Schotty just needs to get over the playoffs hump)

2) solid, young defenses (can't dispute that about all 3 teams)

3) a QB capable of making good decisions (Palmer and Brees are cool as ice under pressure...Pennington is still under review in that category, but in general, he plays smart)

4) depth (both teams have tons of depth all over the place)

5) leadership (Mawae/Vilma, Palmer, Donnie Edwards, etc)

5)

You may be right 80. Good points across in your posts.

But the Bengals defense is horendous. They are young, but they are definetly not good.

You kidding? Landon Johnson is a star in the making. Odell Thurman was an excellent draft choice, as was David Pollack. They're light in the middle at DT, but they have a beast in Matthias Askew. If only Dennis Weathersby woulda stayed healthy, their secondary would be damn good as well. Nevertheless, Madeieu Williams earned a lot of respect last season as a rookie S.

In any case, this is MARV's defense now, and though they lack big names, they have heart and a good scheme, not to mention being well conditioned. Remind you of any defense? I think so. Maybe the names Tedy Bruschi, Randall Gay, Ted Johnson, Asante Samuel, Richard Seymour and Willie McGinest ring a bell?

You kidding? Landon Johnson is a star in the making. Odell Thurman was an excellent draft choice, as was David Pollack. They're light in the middle at DT, but they have a beast in Matthias Askew. If only Dennis Weathersby woulda stayed healthy, their secondary would be damn good as well. Nevertheless, Madeieu Williams earned a lot of respect last season as a rookie S.

In any case, this is MARV's defense now, and though they lack big names, they have heart and a good scheme, not to mention being well conditioned. Remind you of any defense? I think so. Maybe the names Tedy Bruschi, Randall Gay, Ted Johnson, Asante Samuel, Richard Seymour and Willie McGinest ring a bell?

Odell Thurman and Pollack havent proven jack sh** just yet. That Dline is garbage, although justin smith is a nice player. Their D-Tackles are among the worst pairs in the league. The defense cant stop the run!!

Their corners are pretty good with Tory James. Deltha Oneal takes alot of chances, he's pretty decent.

Marvin Lewis's "schemes" in cincy havent worked out too well. Their defense has been 1 of the worst in the league so far under his tenure. Do the names Chris McAlister, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, Siragusa, Jamie Sharper ring a bell?? Schemes are good, but you need good players in those schemes too. Cincys defense will remain garbage until proven otherwise, jmo.

Jaws is not a genius. He just looks like one compared to the idiots he works with.

Actually, anybody that picks the Jets must be a complete moron or an idiot. :wink:

Seriously, there is no better X and O's analyst then Jaws. He breaks down plays and is able to explain them in layman's terms where even the causual fan can understand.

He does a great job in that area.

The AFC team is either going to be the Jets or the Patriots. Without Doug Brien to screw things up, these teams will rightfully meet in the AFC Championship Game (Division Winner will be home) and it will be all determined there. There is no other team competing. Screw the Colts, the Pats will take them down with ease or Manning will choke against us again. Screw the Chargers, we own them and the Patriots would destroy them with ease. Steelers = 1 year wonder, realize it and accept it. Bengals are not even going to get into the playoffs. JP Losman was inconsistent at Tulane, lets see him light it up in Buffalo...yeah right, in your dreams. Denver, ha, uh, no chance as long as Jake Plummer is QB.

When it's all said and done the Jets and Pats will be in the AFC Championship Game and the winner will go the Super Bowl and win it.

Marvin Lewis's "schemes" in cincy havent worked out too well. Their defense has been 1 of the worst in the league so far under his tenure. Do the names Chris McAlister, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, Siragusa, Jamie Sharper ring a bell?? Schemes are good, but you need good players in those schemes too. Cincys defense will remain garbage until proven otherwise, jmo.

If the players suck, then how is the scheme not good, either? They went an impressive 8-8 in the toughest conference in the NFL, beat the Ravens in their house, and have had some big wins over the years (beating the 9-0 Chiefs in '03 comes to mind) despite having NOTHING to start with, little money, and having to build with a brand new QB. Not bad.

Thurman and Pollack dont have to prove anything, meanwhile, they have been brought to this team to provide depth. Neither arer expected to carry this defense. Because of a couple injuries thurman is going to see more time than before, but its not like this defense is based off of him. Justin Smith is the 3rd best player on the dline. The other defensive end Robert Geathers dominated RTs last season when he started the last ocuple of games. This guy has amazing speed and very good moves to get into the pocket. He is also a good tackler.

Quit letting your Bengals bias get in the way of things. They have a below average defense no matter how you cut it. I like them a lot this year, but not because of their defense being a strength at all.

My Super Bowl team from the AFC will be one of 3 teams:

Jets

Jets

Jets

Isn't that what you meant? :wink:

Jaws is a decent analyst that does not let his personal affiliation cloud his judgement like Theismann did with his picking the Skins.

just take the prediction with a grain of salt. If any of these predictions ever had any kind of merit at all, then I'd be placin bets with a bookie as we speak. Every analyst on ESPN pretty much has a different prediction and its hard to take any of them seriously. It's called a personal opinion.

Archived