• Hakeem Nicks
    • Tyson Jackson
    • Beanie Wells

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Prediction:

Darius Hayward-Bey = Troy Williamson

Good comparison, imo. I've seen DHB a few times and he doesn't like contact. Plus, everyone at Maryland is on steroids and puts up great 40's. Bottom line, if a receiver doesn't like getting pushed around in the puss-ass ACC, how's he going to deal with trying to get open against guys that are his size and speed but with twice the strength?

I voted for Wells, because I think he can be a LenDale White/James Stewart for us for a long time.

I said he was a "potential workout warrior." I dont see how you can disagree that its a least a possibility.

How was he misused last year? Mangini used him as a rushing DE/OLB in passing situations. How would you have used him?

Because he had very good to excellent production in college. He can be a bust, but I don't see how a guy with OSU sack records is looked at as a "workout warrior". There are plenty of ****ty players that had good numbers. It doesn't make them workour warriors.

Because he had very good to excellent production in college. He can be a bust, but I don't see how a guy with OSU sack records is looked at as a "workout warrior". There are plenty of ****ty players that had good numbers. It doesn't make them workour warriors.

Justin Tuck was Notre Dame's All-Time sack leader and he was drafted in the third round because he ran a lousy 40. Conversely, Gholston was a projected third round pick on several boards until he blew up at the Combine.

The money given to the 17th overall isn't going to kill anybody's cap situation. Jarvis Moss was the 17th pick in 2007... is he killing the Broncos cap?

Money isn't the issue at 17, which is why you take the best player. Wells, IMO, is the best player on this list by a mile.

When you combine it with what the Jets are paying the 2008 6th overall?

Wasted cap space on young players is never a good thing. Teams are forced to keep them on the roster to recoup the investment.

But, yes, you and Sperm are right out the 17th not getting big money. But when you have a 2008 1st round non-entity, the Jets can't afford to have a 2009 repeat but for injury issues.

So I guess in your scenario that Percy Harvin was taken already? Because he is better than all of those guys....this draft's DeSean Jackson.

Percy Harvin sucks, anyone on this poll is a better pro prospect.

I agree. Pass on harvin. It's so hard to trust wr's from fl. Yes, I know most the busts came when spurrier was there. If Harvin makes it to the second round maybe. What do most people feel about Freeman?

Freeman sucks too,any qb we already have is a better pro prospect.

I love how everybody is picking Bey, and I bet more than half of you haven't seen him play. And are just saying him because of his 40 time. How can we forget our mistake of V. Goulston? A mediocre player who we drafted because of his combine.

Heyward-Bey is not a good football player, an outstanding athlete, yes. Nicks is going to be a star. But I'd prefer to go Moreno, and then trade up in the 2nd like we did last year and try to get Nicks then. I think he'll be there.

Nicks had more td's in one year than Bey had in his whole college career. He also had a below average qb and had another really good wr opposite of him, who cut into his stats.

I don't seen the Jets taking anyone in the first round who won't advance the philosophy. To me this means a Running Back, Defensive player or offensive lineman/TE. I can see the Jets letting the draft come to them and taking the best available guy from among these positions.

I don't seen the Jets taking anyone in the first round who won't advance the philosophy. To me this means a Running Back, Defensive player or offensive lineman/TE. I can see the Jets letting the draft come to them and taking the best available guy from among these positions.

An offensive lineman is a given to be a 2nd-string player for at least a year or two. Too much bench-time for a first round pick IMO.

Unless Thomas Jones is relegated to backup this year, or Ryan truly wants to go the 3-headed monster route (which BTW I'd be fined with), the same goes for RB.

TE is ok if it's someone like Pettigrew is touted to be: a true pass-catcher that can really block. A guy who's going to be blocking 90% of the time is not worth a first round pick unless the team is so set with guys whose job it is to catch.

Ideally, you'd like to get an immediate starter in round 1. That, or a guy you're grooming behind a current veteran who just isn't that impressive or has serious injury risks/concerns or upcoming mega-bonuses the team may not want to pay (nor go into 2010 with a glaring hole should they decline to pay). So on defense, I think DE & CB qualify. But the rest of the positions on defense I can't see us making a move on in round 1.

And I don't know that taking a round 1 QB flies in the face of advancing the philosophy.

An offensive lineman is a given to be a 2nd-string player for at least a year or two. Too much bench-time for a first round pick IMO.

The X-Factor is Andre Smith. If he drops and the Jets have a shot at him, it might be hard to pass up. A bunch of decent tackle prospects this year, and Smith's wacky behavior, could push him of some boards. Is Damien Woody the answer at RT? Would the Jets dare invest yet another first rounder on the O-Line? Probably not. But, if they think Smith is the goods and Bill Callahan can handle him, it might be great value.

Unless Thomas Jones is relegated to backup this year, or Ryan truly wants to go the 3-headed monster route (which BTW I'd be fined with), the same goes for RB..

I disagree. I believe that Tannenbaum is going to draft the most saleable player he can, moreso than the player that makes the most sense, per se. If there's a RB that they think will sell tickets, they should do it. I think it's clear that they don't want to pay for Thomas Jones' three-point-five-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust style longer than they have to, and they's love to replace him with a "star" on the roster to sell some PSL's. If they think they can sell Beanie Wells or Knowshon Moreno (both high-profile, SportsCenter-type players), that will be the pick, if not a QB or Percy Harvin.

TE is ok if it's someone like Pettigrew is touted to be: a true pass-catcher that can really block. A guy who's going to be blocking 90% of the time is not worth a first round pick unless the team is so set with guys whose job it is to catch..

I agree that a blocking TE is not worth it. I'd be really, really shocked if they drafted a TE early, especially one like Pettigrew who doesn't look to be a huge numbers-hanger at the position. With the way that Tannenbaum ignored the TE position in free agency, one would surmise that it's not a huge priority. Maybe a late round pick or a FA vet that gets dropped in FA (a Mark Breuner type) makes more sense.

Ideally, you'd like to get an immediate starter in round 1. That, or a guy you're grooming behind a current veteran who just isn't that impressive or has serious injury risks/concerns or upcoming mega-bonuses the team may not want to pay (nor go into 2010 with a glaring hole should they decline to pay). So on defense, I think DE & CB qualify. But the rest of the positions on defense I can't see us making a move on in round 1.

And I don't know that taking a round 1 QB flies in the face of advancing the philosophy.

Unless Rex decides that the defensive players he has here are not his type of player. As much as Jets fans love Kerry Rhodes, for instance, what if Rex thinks he's too soft to play in his defense? What if Rex makes an example out of a Bryan Thomas or a Shaun Ellis? IMO, there are absolutely zero untouchables on the D outside of Revis. Could be a fun draft that way.

Unless Thomas Jones is relegated to backup this year, or Ryan truly wants to go the 3-headed monster route (which BTW I'd be fined with), the same goes for RB.

TE is ok if it's someone like Pettigrew is touted to be: a true pass-catcher that can really block. A guy who's going to be blocking 90% of the time is not worth a first round pick unless the team is so set with guys whose job it is to catch.

I think the good franchises evaluate the draft on a longer time horizon than the one you are considering. If, for example an excellent OL prospect is there at #17 then I don't think the Jets would pass on him just b/c they feel he won't start for a year or two. Faneca and Woody are older players and Brick's rookie contract is up soon. It would behoove the Jets to add some quality depth, especially if they don't love Brick at LT.

The X-Factor is Andre Smith. If he drops and the Jets have a shot at him, it might be hard to pass up. A bunch of decent tackle prospects this year, and Smith's wacky behavior, could push him of some boards. Is Damien Woody the answer at RT? Would the Jets dare invest yet another first rounder on the O-Line? Probably not. But, if they think Smith is the goods and Bill Callahan can handle him, it might be great value.

I disagree. I believe that Tannenbaum is going to draft the most saleable player he can, moreso than the player that makes the most sense, per se. If there's a RB that they think will sell tickets, they should do it. I think it's clear that they don't want to pay for Thomas Jones' three-point-five-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust style longer than they have to, and they's love to replace him with a "star" on the roster to sell some PSL's. If they think they can sell Beanie Wells or Knowshon Moreno (both high-profile, SportsCenter-type players), that will be the pick, if not a QB or Percy Harvin.

I agree that a blocking TE is not worth it. I'd be really, really shocked if they drafted a TE early, especially one like Pettigrew who doesn't look to be a huge numbers-hanger at the position. With the way that Tannenbaum ignored the TE position in free agency, one would surmise that it's not a huge priority. Maybe a late round pick or a FA vet that gets dropped in FA (a Mark Breuner type) makes more sense.

Unless Rex decides that the defensive players he has here are not his type of player. As much as Jets fans love Kerry Rhodes, for instance, what if Rex thinks he's too soft to play in his defense? What if Rex makes an example out of a Bryan Thomas or a Shaun Ellis? IMO, there are absolutely zero untouchables on the D outside of Revis. Could be a fun draft that way.

Woody does not need replacing, not yet anyways. He was one of our best players last season and the main reason we were so effective running to the right.

Also, Soft is not a word to describe Kerry Rhodes. Sure he may not dish out hits like a Brian Dawkins would but he's a VERY solid tackler and one of the best, if not the best run stopping safety in the league.

Rex will love Rhodes.

I do not think they'll take an offensive lineman in round 1 anyway.

LT - D'Brick = signed through 2011 (though 2011 he makes franchise player money)

LG - Faneca = signed through 2012 (has guaranteed salary through 2011)

C - Mangold = I doubt they would look to replace him with anyone in the draft

RG - Moore = they just locked him up long-term with guaranteed money a month ago

RT - Woody = signed through 2012, but technically cuttable next year.

He's the only one you could make an argument for. But does a team draft a "just in case" right tackle in round 1 when there are far bigger questions at QB, WR, and CB beyond this year? It's possible, but I seriously doubt that would happen.

Jones is under contract for this year for dirt-cheap. Next year his salary is out of whack with his value. So it's this year & then he's gone (unless they stupidly extend him into his mid-30's).

RB could be a pick. It would be consistent with what Ryan claims he wants. I don't know how if Moreno qualifies as a "power" running game kind of back, but at this stage of his career he's fairly high profile. He's not McFadden or Peterson high profile, but his name garners more attention than if the Jets added Rudi Johnson.

I just don't feel it's one of those positions where a young player needs grooming. He's either got it or he doesn't. And a year on the bench isn't going to make him get it.

They're working out WR's & QB's also. I believe any of the big-three fantasy football positions are good guesses (if a "saleable" name is available who presents good value at #17).

I wouldn't be shocked. The strength of having a complete TE is that there's the threat of throwing him the ball when he's in the huddle, rather than a 6th lineman type. It helps with the ground game more than just a blocker, as it removes the responsibility of covering one of our potential pass-catchers.

Or more simply, he'd help the ground game more than just by being a blocker.

I think Rex was already gushing over Rhodes when he got here. Same with Ellis. Thomas...no one's said anything nice about him in the last 12-18 months outside of his immediate family.

I could see a larger DE or a DE/DT 'tweener like Coleman getting the pick.

Also, while for this season he's very low risk/high reward, Sheppard is coming off a down-season regardless of the reason(s). He was never the model of health before that either. Plus a big bonus/contract kicks in next season at the Jets' option. CB is a real possibility if they think that's the best value. A rookie CB like Revis is unusual; generally, no one is enthusiastic about throwing a rookie corner out there. So that could be the pick with the idea that he steps into Sheppard's spot next year (or this year if he gets hurt again or just flat-out sucks).

I think the good franchises evaluate the draft on a longer time horizon than the one you are considering. If, for example an excellent OL prospect is there at #17 then I don't think the Jets would pass on him just b/c they feel he won't start for a year or two. Faneca and Woody are older players and Brick's rookie contract is up soon. It would behoove the Jets to add some quality depth, especially if they don't love Brick at LT.

Brick's contract isn't up that soon. He's got 3 more years left. While Faneca & Woody are older, they just finished year one of a brand new 5-year contracts. If one of them was awful last year, I could see it. Since neither were, and this is our best run-blocking line in some time (except for D'Brick), I couldn't see them taking one in round 1 this year no matter who is available.

Good offensive linemen come out every year. D'Brick was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread. Clady was better as a rookie than D'Brick has ever been on the Jets. I don't think this is a "take one now or you'll regret it forever" area on the team. Particularly while it's one of few strengths we have on offense.

The luxury of having an offensive line with two non-bust first rounders we selected ourselves and three high-paid veteran FA's (Moore was technically a FA after we released him), and 4 of them having 3-4 years left on their contracts, is that selecting one in the middle of round 1 is not necessary.

I agree we need depth or someone to groom. But I like the idea of taking first rounders who are reasonably likely to see the field within the next 2 seasons. Otherwise almost half their rookie contract is wasted. Find depth in the mid or later rounds. Not every lineman has to be a first rounder or higher-profile FA.

I picked Jackson because it's very hard to go wrong with LSU DL, but I'd also be happy with Heyward-Bey because of Ryan's familiarity with the program - we're also looking at Barnes, Gronkowski, and a couple of offensive linemen.

Heyward Bey huh? I'd be surprised to go boom or bust again considering how well it worked out last year 1A ;)

DHB being a boom or bust type is a myth. Maryland's offense was downright awful last season and Friedgen didn't exactly utilize him to the fullest. Out of the choices given, it's Jackson or Bey, and personally I have Bey graded slightly higher.

DHB being a boom or bust type is a myth. Maryland's offense was downright awful last season and Friedgen didn't exactly utilize him to the fullest. Out of the choices given, it's Jackson or Bey, and personally I have Bey graded slightly higher.

WHat of the rumors of not being a good route runner? I only know what I read at this point as the College FB watching time has seriously been reduced since my last daughter was born..

Archived