What is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?

Maxman

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As others have said, there are many nice things people have done. Just two examples from my past.

After my dad died when I was young, my grandmother helped pay off our house mortgage so my mother and we 4 kids wouldn't have to move to a small apt.

My two single aunts (father's sisters) would buy my siblings and me clothes twice each year - at start of school and at Easter. We didn't have a lot of money so it really helped out and we were very thankful that they would do this for us.

As others have said, there are many nice things people have done. Just two examples from my past.

After my dad died when I was young, my grandmother helped pay off our house mortgage so my mother and we 4 kids wouldn't have to move to a small apt.

My two single aunts (father's sisters) would buy my siblings and me clothes twice each year - at start of school and at Easter. We didn't have a lot of money so it really helped out and we were very thankful that they would do this for us.

That is really nice and just the clothes alone made a huge difference I am sure. (Sorry to hear that you lost your Father at such a young age).

Shortly after my mom died, my dad, 4 year old brother and I went shopping at an outdoor mall. Needed new school clothes. My father - completely clueless, out of his element, out of sorts and worried about my brother - well, somehow he forgot about me - I was wandering off looking at clothes. Well, he and my brother leave and drive home while I'm perusing the ailes of clothes. An announcement came. Stores were closing. Time to leave! I panick. Where is my dad? Now I'm outside. Crying. Where is my DAD??? I walk - and walk- in the parking lot - out on the street - it's dark and scary. Why did my dad leave me? Like I wasn't fragile enough? Anyway, two boys and two girls - teenagers - come walking towards me - coming from a wooded area. "Hey kid" one says. "What's wrong? Are you lost?" Now I knew I wasn't supposed to talk to strangers - but under the circumstances I had no other choice. They were very comforting. One of the girls was holding my hand. A boy went to a payphone and called the cops. Another gave me his jacket to put over my shoulders and keep me warm. They were kind and gentle and did not leave my side. They did everything they could to help me. A cop comes - and as the cop gets out of his car to talk to me I see my dad's car speeding through the parking lot like a manical man who must have left his 8 year old daughter at an outdoor mall on a Saturday night.

Shortly after my mom died, my dad, 4 year old brother and I went shopping at an outdoor mall. Needed new school clothes. My father - completely clueless, out of his element, out of sorts and worried about my brother - well, somehow he forgot about me - I was wandering off looking at clothes. Well, he and my brother leave and drive home while I'm perusing the ailes of clothes. An announcement came. Stores were closing. Time to leave! I panick. Where is my dad? Now I'm outside. Crying. Where is my DAD??? I walk - and walk- in the parking lot - out on the street - it's dark and scary. Why did my dad leave me? Like I wasn't fragile enough? Anyway, two boys and two girls - teenagers - come walking towards me - coming from a wooded area. "Hey kid" one says. "What's wrong? Are you lost?" Now I knew I wasn't supposed to talk to strangers - but under the circumstances I had no other choice. They were very comforting. One of the girls was holding my hand. A boy went to a payphone and called the cops. Another gave me his jacket to put over my shoulders and keep me warm. They were kind and gentle and did not leave my side. They did everything they could to help me. A cop comes - and as the cop gets out of his car to talk to me I see my dad's car speeding through the parking lot like a manical man who must have left his 8 year old daughter at an outdoor mall on a Saturday night.

i got lost in salem mass at same age, touring a soda plant (tonic plant)

after the free soda...i wandered off and lost the group...holy sh!tola

an old couple took me under their wings and somehow found my folks...

didn't know phone # or nothing....

Share with us...

Remember that time a few months ago when I said I had blue balls, and you, well, you gave a brother a hand?

That would be it for me..

EIther that or the time BP trapped and ate all of the ground moles on my property that were destroying my lawn. I never knew barbeque mole tasted almost like chicken....

My dad passed away on December 23, 1975 from liver cancer. I was 7yrs old, my sister 9, and my brother 1. Needless to say, exorbitant medical bills made our income situation pretty much non-existent. I remember coming home from the hospital, and there was a mountain of toys beneath the Christmas tree - more toys than I'd ever seen. Turns out that the local Boy Scouts and The Salvation Army had teamed up and ran a toy drive for our family. To this day they are the only charities/entities that I donate to annually.

My dad passed away on December 23, 1975 from liver cancer. I was 7yrs old, my sister 9, and my brother 1. I remember coming home from the hospital, and there was a mountain of toys beneath the Christmas tree - more toys than I'd ever seen. Turns out that the local Boy Scouts and The Salvation Army had teamed up and ran a toy drive for our family. To this day they are the only charities/entities that I donate to annually.
Fukk.

funny that i come upon this thread today.

it is the one year anniversary of my daughter going into the hospital. A year ago, we almost lost her, and i will forever be indebted to all the people here and in my more traditional life who prayed and thought good thoughts for us. From the wonderful doctors, nurses, orderlies, people who delivered my daughters meals, the people in the hospital who would find me an extra pillow or blanket as i was try8ing to rest in PICU in an uncomfortable chair and staying up while my husband tried to catch and hour or two of sleep .

i will never forget all of that.

there are some wonderful stories here.

what a great thread.

My dad passed away on December 23, 1975 from liver cancer. I was 7yrs old, my sister 9, and my brother 1. Needless to say, exorbitant medical bills made our income situation pretty much non-existent. I remember coming home from the hospital, and there was a mountain of toys beneath the Christmas tree - more toys than I'd ever seen. Turns out that the local Boy Scouts and The Salvation Army had teamed up and ran a toy drive for our family. To this day they are the only charities/entities that I donate to annually.

Wow. See, now this is what this thread should be about. The kindness of the human heart and spirit and LOVE. Nothing is more beautiful than people being good to one another.

Wow that is rough. Those were great kids though, very cool that they were around.

Dad must have felt bad about that one for years.

That is a great thing they did. Definitely a worthwhile charity to donate to.

funny that i come upon this thread today.

it is the one year anniversary of my daughter going into the hospital. A year ago, we almost lost her, and i will forever be indebted to all the people here and in my more traditional life who prayed and thought good thoughts for us. From the wonderful doctors, nurses, orderlies, people who delivered my daughters meals, the people in the hospital who would find me an extra pillow or blanket as i was try8ing to rest in PICU in an uncomfortable chair and staying up while my husband tried to catch and hour or two of sleep .

i will never forget all of that.

there are some wonderful stories here.

what a great thread.

I remember that and remain very glad to hear that she is doing well today!

well now I feel like a schmuck for making a joke.. :(

My daughter was rushed to CHOP in philly for surgery the day she was born, from the kind and patient nurses and doctors, to the folks at Ronald McDonald house, to my mother who was there everyday for 3 weeks to my brother-in-law and his wife who drove my wife down to philly (i road in the ambulance) and stayed with us the horrible first night; there was too many nice gestures to keep track of.

I have a couple of great stories...

My brother was recently diagnosed with autism (around the time i started college). He was about 3 at the time, and my mother had to stay home and take care of him. My dad was in a slump with work, he's in construction. Times aren't as great as they used to be. My Aunt (who is a 9-11 widow, she was married to my mother's brother.) received a ton of money on top of what she had before. She told my parents that she would pay for all of my brothers medical bills, told them not to worry about it, so that they could help me out too with my schooling expenses (I'm on an academic scholarship, but I have other expenses too). That's the nicest thing someone has ever done for me and my family.

Another one,

I had 2 uncles in the world trade center when 9-11 hit. One of them died. My other Uncle, running home, got stuck on the George Washington Bridge (he was trying to get to my Grandparent's house in Fort Lee) A complete stranger stopped him and gave him the keys to his car, and said that his wife was right behind him in her car. He gave him his business card and said, just give me a call whenever, and we will meet up for the car again. What an amazing act of unconditional kindness.

we were raised catholics us 9 kids. Dad was a drinker & a ladies man I guess. My mom who was a devout catholic tried her best but could take his womanizing ways no longer & divorced him knowing she would be excommunicated from the church. single mom with 9 kids. her brothers & sisters wanted to take some of us but mom refused to split us up. graduated valedictorion of her high school but no $$$ available for college.

minimum wage at the hospital cafeteria & somehow pulled it off as we are a close,loving family.

After the funeral late last year my brothers & sisters & I were going thru items she specially willed to each of us & picking out anything that gave us fond memories. It was amazing that we were all trying to give eachother stuff instead of for ourselves.

Well my sister found a box full of correspondance between mom & dad. love letters if you will. She forgave him many,many times & was truly in love with him.

rip mom & yes you are the nicest thing anyone's ever done for me

I have a couple of great stories...

My brother was recently diagnosed with autism (around the time i started college). He was about 3 at the time, and my mother had to stay home and take care of him. My dad was in a slump with work, he's in construction. Times aren't as great as they used to be. My Aunt (who is a 9-11 widow, she was married to my mother's brother.) received a ton of money on top of what she had before. She told my parents that she would pay for all of my brothers medical bills, told them not to worry about it, so that they could help me out too with my schooling expenses (I'm on an academic scholarship, but I have other expenses too). That's the nicest thing someone has ever done for me and my family.

Another one,

I had 2 uncles in the world trade center when 9-11 hit. One of them died. My other Uncle, running home, got stuck on the George Washington Bridge (he was trying to get to my Grandparent's house in Fort Lee) A complete stranger stopped him and gave him the keys to his car, and said that his wife was right behind him in her car. He gave him his business card and said, just give me a call whenever, and we will meet up for the car again. What an amazing act of unconditional kindness.

WOW JUST WOW

we were raised catholics us 9 kids. Dad was a drinker & a ladies man I guess. My mom who was a devout catholic tried her best but could take his womanizing ways no longer & divorced him knowing she would be excommunicated from the church. single mom with 9 kids. her brothers & sisters wanted to take some of us but mom refused to split us up. graduated valedictorion of her high school but no $$$ available for college.

minimum wage at the hospital cafeteria & somehow pulled it off as we are a close,loving family.

After the funeral late last year my brothers & sisters & I were going thru items she specially willed to each of us & picking out anything that gave us fond memories. It was amazing that we were all trying to give eachother stuff instead of for ourselves.

Well my sister found a box full of correspondance between mom & dad. love letters if you will. She forgave him many,many times & was truly in love with him.

rip mom & yes you are the nicest thing anyone's ever done for me

Very touching JW --

I for the life of me have absolutly no stories like these.

Ugh. I tried to make a joke but now people are saying real things.

Well honestly,the nicest thing ever was my wife deciding to love me. Without her I'd be lost. Before her I was seriously a wreck, partied way too hard, got into too many fights, etc, etc. Long story short I'm a better person because of her and for her and she gave me the greatest gift of all my boy, Aiden.

Archived