If we had to lose

JetsMan57

I am glad it happened like this. Losing a heartbreaking close game would have accomplished nothing. This loss actually accomplishes something. We got completely embarrassed and hopefully this game HUMBLES us.

We have too many big mouths on this team that talk a little too much. All I have read this training camp and the week leading up to this game is "SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL" How about FOCUSING on the task at hand which was Kansas City? You have this moron Vilma taking pot shots at the pats every chance he gets. Yea nice job out there today Vilma.

And I lay a lot of the blame on Herm about this. Instead of tempering all this BS super bowl talk he falls in love with it with his stupid "WE HAVE SWAGGER, WE HAVER SWAGGER, WE HAVE SWAGGER. I LIKE THAT I LIKE THAT I LIKE THAT." Yea did you like what happened out there today Herm? We looked like a bunch of frigging reindeers.

Losing doesnt really bother me that much, a lot of the darlings around the league are losing and i knew we wer enot catching KC at a good time and that this game could get ugly but losing is one thing and playing the way we did today is anotehr. The team looked totally lifeless, unprepared, and sloppy. I mean I see high school teams execute shot gun snaps with ease and we are making it into an ADVENTURE.

I can only hope this team wakes up now from La La land and smells the roses. Miami will not bE A Pushover.

---------------------------------------

Some game thoughts:

- The scouting report on kerry rhodes was that he is a horrible tackler and wasnt that evident today. Piss poor tackling efforts fromrhodes today.

- I REALLY hope Pouha develops into an every down NT. James Reed just cant handle the gig as an every down DT. He got blown off the ball and sealed off with ease.

- If the oline plans on pass blocking like this the rest of the way they better ask the NFL to legalize the holding penalty. What a disgrace, I thought we were playing the 85 bears at one point.

- What the heck happened to the running game? If we cant run on the Chiefs then we have issues. This is the one thing I am sort of concerned about because we were not blocking well in the preseason either.

- What happened to Blaylock today? Was he hurt, suspended, benched, or just LaMont Jordan'd by Herm?

- Chad, I know the pundits will get on you after today, I wont, but I will ask you for one favor; CAN YOU PLEASE STOP THROWING TO WAYNE CHREBET WHEN HE IS TRIPLED COVERED. That's all i friggin ask for.. But just stop the Chrebet BS. Thanks.

- As for the positives: I can only thing of 4. #1 Chris Baker, #2 Ben Graham, #3 Ty law #4 THe game ended.

I think I am done, i will say that i wll enjoy the talk all week about the Chiefs defense, they will get hyped up to no end. Dont believe it, they arent that good.

Yeah, and I really enjoyed getting spanked 27-7 more than any other possible means of losing.

Humbled, my a$$. Herm won't change a damn thing and you know it.

Sadly, you are probably right. I mean this is the 2nd time this has happened to us. Remember all the super bowl hype heading into the 02 opener? And we looked like crap against the Bills, we were saved on special teams.

I am glad it happened like this. Losing a heartbreaking close game would have accomplished nothing.

Actually, I feel the same way.

If you team is going to lose, let it be by a blowout. Give the other team credit and move on.

Losing the close ones, there is too much second guessing.

We have too many big mouths on this team that talk a little too much. All I have read this training camp and the week leading up to this game is "SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL" How about FOCUSING on the task at hand which was Kansas City? You have this moron Vilma taking pot shots at the pats every chance he gets. Yea nice job out there today Vilma.

And I lay a lot of the blame on Herm about this. Instead of tempering all this BS super bowl talk he falls in love with it with his stupid "WE HAVE SWAGGER, WE HAVER SWAGGER, WE HAVE SWAGGER. I LIKE THAT I LIKE THAT I LIKE THAT." Yea did you like what happened out there today Herm? We looked like a bunch of frigging reindeers.

It's ben a hallmark of Edwards' regime that the talk is plentiful and never ending. It's one thing to be confident. But to run your mouths as this team and it's players seem to do before they actaully accomplish anything is irritating as hell. They should focus on the task at hand rather than bitching about respect, the Super Bowl, Rod Woodson, blah, blah, blah.

Just once can we hear a Jet say"We have to take care of our business vs. the Dolphins."

Good job Jetman, I've always believed if you have to lose this early, get your butt kicked in, because it might shake-up the team and the staff into doing better the next week.

Good job on your other points too...Nice to read the thread of someone that has good info to add.

I am glad it happened like this. Losing a heartbreaking close game would have accomplished nothing. This loss actually accomplishes something. We got completely embarrassed and hopefully this game HUMBLES us.

Wow. I agree with that 100%. Fantastic post and very, very well put. I just posted this at another website (before reading your post)....

In a wierd way the Jets may have been best served by getting owned like that (instead of losing by a lesser margin).

They were ill-prepared, and from the press clippings it sounds as if they were overconfident.

Every player on that team right now who's worth a d*** is furious and humiliated, and they SHOULD work their **** off, keep their mouths shut, stay humble, and use this as fuel. They should take it one game at a time.

I'm not sure they will---- I think there's a bit too much unearned swagger on that team, and I can see them making excuses, or making excessive promises and characterizations. I can see them giving themselves a mulligan. Not saying they definitely will, but I think it might.

One thing for sure though: They are NOT this bad.

Very well put. The team has been mouthing off, grinding up and snorting its own press clippings, and generally swaggering and pumping their chests about that swagger.... when they have done JACK SH** to justify it.

The Patriots have cause for swagger, and they have it---- but they keep it inside their heads. They keep their heads down, and they focus on one game at a time and their own flaws. They don't brag. They don't boast. They don't talk other teams down.

Of all the things they do that should be THE most emulated because it's not that frigging hard to do and it makes so much sense. But no. Teams buy into the "Playmaker" myth and the mediots tendency to build teams up.

and that failure lies partially on the veteran leadership---- Pennington, Mawae, Ellis, Martin.... you don't hear a lot of arrogance or swagger bull***t from those guys, but it's their job to sit on Vilma when he gets mouthy, to maintain discipline, to not only SET an example but to prod and drag the rest of the players into following it.

More than that of course, you are dead right, the heart of the failure is Herm Edwards and his Feel Good, Rah Rah brand of coaching.

I don't think the Jets are remotely as bad as they looked out there, though I think there are some signficant concerns showcased by this game. I think the Jets have two relatively friendly games coming up: neither Jax nor Miami is a push over, NO ONE is, but both are at home, and it could be a LOT, LOT worse. They have a chance to still establish a solid start, and more than that Herm has shown a history of being able to get his teams rolling at SOME point in the season after his slow starts (or perhaps more accurately, at some point the team seems to overcome the speed bump that is Herms coaching.)....

No reason to count them out. But there's no way to treat this game casually or to just view it as a mulligan. There are weaknesses and they look dangerous..... I am SURE that Pennington will not fumble anything like this again this season, I am SURE the Jets will look a LOT better on both sides of the ball.... but there are dangerous weaknesses nonetheless....

This was a good post from an objective standpoint, even TX realized that

and then RS got a hold of it and turned into a Patriots circle jerk once again... :roll:

4 lines on them and one mention of the team in a ginormous post and that's what you zoom in on?

:shock:

I'm simply pointing out that the best team in the NFL these past few years has had as an INTEGRAL part of its success the exact antithesis of swagger---- they have been humble, and they have always been VERY nearsighted, only looking at their next game, focussing on practices, and being highly critical of themselves for their failures while cataloging every slight for motivation, yet keeping fairly quiet about it.

and I'm doing that to highlight the contrast with Herm and what the Jets have been doing....

Did you notice the Chiefs putting a body on Vilma every single play?

I think a lot of teams will begin doing that.

No more letting him run free like last year.

31-0.

that was the score the bills beat the pats openning day of the 2003 season - which the pats went on to win the super bowl.

hopefully this game can have a similar effect on the jets.

RS and all these Pats fans often rub it in. But the way the Pats and Jets go about their business are very different. And his point is valid-we get tons of jibber jabber from the Jets as if they won something, while the Pats pretty much focus on this game, this play, this assignment.Herm's Jets MO is way beyond just confidence, it's obnoxious and worse when they don't back it up and fail like today.

Actually, I feel the same way.

If you team is going to lose, let it be by a blowout. Give the other team credit and move on.

Losing the close ones, there is too much second guessing.

Truth.

Plus, it keeps the little boy homers like EB50, J_mac81 and Section124 out of the conversation, so the real men can discuss objectively why this team sucks.

4 lines on them and one mention of the team in a ginormous post and that's what you zoom in on?

:shock:

I'm simply pointing out that the best team in the NFL these past few years has had as an INTEGRAL part of its success the exact antithesis of swagger---- they have been humble, and they have always been VERY nearsighted, only looking at their next game, focussing on practices, and being highly critical of themselves for their failures while cataloging every slight for motivation, yet keeping fairly quiet about it.

and I'm doing that to highlight the contrast with Herm and what the Jets have been doing....

What else is he going to say? The Jets made his never endingly optimistic ass look like Corky Thatcher out there today.

Archived