RB Knowshon Moreno

RB Beanie Wells

TE Brandon Pettigrew (trade down?)

I could also include the following players but are highly unlikely to be there:

WR Michael Crabtree

DT BJ Raji

DE Tyson Jackson

DB Malcolm Jenkins

If the Jets first round draft pick isn't in this post I'd be shocked.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i'd be very surprised if the Jets first round pick wasn't on this list:

QB Mark Sanchez (trade up)

WR Jeremy Maclin

RB Knowshon Moreno

RB Beanie Wells

WR Michael Crabtree

DT BJ Raji

DE Tyson Jackson

DB Malcolm Jenkins

While I agree these are probably the top guys on their list, the only problem, as you already alluded to, is that its very possible most of these guys will be off the board by the time the Jets pick. If the stay put, all the guys in the lower section you mentioned are likely goners, as are likely Sanchez and Maclin. And its possible one of Moreno or Wells could be gone by then as well. And I couldn't possibly be more against the Jets drafting Pettigrew, especially at 17.

All that being considered, I don't think it would surprise any of us to see the Jets move up in the draft. There are a lot of guys out there who they reportedly like most and few, if any, of them are going to be available once they're on the clock. And we know the Jets haven't been shy about making sure they get their guy.

if it makes you guys feel better

I don't know exactly how they get it done but I have a strong feeling they are willing to go up and get Sanchez, if he falls past Mangini at 5.

I want Sanchez, but we're giving up too much.

I don't know exactly how they get it done but I have a strong feeling they are willing to go up and get Sanchez, if he falls past Mangini at 5.

Unfortunately, Sanchez is not falling past Seattle at 4.

WR Jeremy Maclin

RB Knowshon Moreno

RB Beanie Wells

WR Michael Crabtree

DT BJ Raji

DE Tyson Jackson

DB Malcolm Jenkins

Its a good list. But I would add an elite OT in case one of them slip (Oher?). Best case scenario, IMO, would be Maclin. Or trade down and get an RB or Pettigrew. Worst case is that your list is spent by 17, except for the RBs and Pettigrew. So, in that case, hopefully someone will step up to trade for Freeman or Oher.

WR Jeremy Maclin

RB Knowshon Moreno

RB Beanie Wells

WR Michael Crabtree

DT BJ Raji

DE Tyson Jackson

DB Malcolm Jenkins

Going by this list, it appears RB is the most likely to happen. Please no.

Going by this list, it appears RB is the most likely to happen. Please no.

its gonna be a particularly fun draft for Jet fans. Hopefully a good player that fills a 'need' position slips through.

Hopefully these things happen b/f #17: all the OTs get taken; someone takes Freeman; OAK does something unusual/stupid/reckless (Harvin or Heyward-Bey).

WR Jeremy Maclin

RB Knowshon Moreno

RB Beanie Wells

WR Michael Crabtree

DT BJ Raji

DE Tyson Jackson

DB Malcolm Jenkins

At least the list you have here contains all guys with first round grades. Some of the names you see (Freeman, DHB, Nicks) to me are ridiculous at number 17. You can't reach that far when you have guys on the board that are clearly better prospects at their position.

its gonna be a particularly fun draft for Jet fans. Hopefully a good player that fills a 'need' position slips through.

Hopefully these things happen b/f #17: all the OTs get taken; someone takes Freeman; OAK does something unusual/stupid/reckless (Harvin or Heyward-Bey).

Well we at least know that last one is a mortal lock.

Very true. I am really hoping that Sanchez, Maclin, or Crabtree falls into our laps.

Don't think Moreno is an option for us. Backs don't take any time to develop and make an impact in the league, and he's so similar to Jones and Washington it doesn't make sense to add a third similar back into the mix. If Jones was gone and we were replacing him Moreno would make sense, but he'll still be around. If we add a back it should be someone who adds a different element to our offense, and that's why Wells should be the only guy we consider in the first at the position. But really, there will be lots of bigger, more power oriented backs (Jennings, Brown, Greene) available at 52 or 76, and if we go in that direction I'd like to select one of them. Glenn Coffee in round 4 has the frame to bulk up and the right style to be a power back, and could be a solid developmental pick as well that I'd definitely like.

I agree with the rest of the list, though those three unlikely guys you mentioned are probably gone in the top 10 and Maclin probably isn't there either. the exclusion of Darrius Heyward-Bey. I like him and think his production issues at Maryland were a result of poor quarterback play and a run-first offense, and he could definitely be one of the guys who ends up being a much better pro than college player. But he's a little raw for what we're looking for now IMO, and we seem to emphasize production in the draft which he doesn't have regardless of the reasons. He'd be a great pick to develop behind LC just starting out as a deep threat and moving on from there, but at the moment he just doesn't make sense for our team.

Two people I think you have to include for at least consideration are Josh Freeman and Kenny Britt. Freeman's probably going to get a look from us because of his size and arm strength, but I just don't think he makes sense right now. You need to have a solid starter to develop a project like Freeman who needs to improve on his accuracy and ability to go through reads, and we don't have one right now. But still, think he gets considered because of our question marks at the position and his talent level, as well as the massive drop off in quarterbacks after him in the draft. Britt is a guy who would add some desperately needed size to our WR corps, has sneaky speed to get deep, and his physical style of play and ability to run after the catch fit the "all weather" offense it seems we want to run. He can run block which I think will be important for us as well. He would be a nice compliment to Cotchery, Clowney, and Stuckey and would help us out in the red zone as well, plus he's a local guy and produced big time in the Big East. Don't think we take him at 17, but in a trade down he would be a good pickup and could definitely be a potential target.

To answer someones question on Jones, he is only scheduled to make $900,000 this season so trading him for a 4th or 5th round pick and taking Moreno at 17 would be ideal.

Ideal? I think it will cost $3M against the cap to send him elsewhere. It's much cheaper to just keep him than to roll the dice with a rookie who will probably make more than both Jones $900K salary and $3M dead money figure. We can keep Jones and use the first round pick to fill the hole your plan would seek to fill with a 4th or 5th rounder.

Ideal? I think it will cost $3M against the cap to send him elsewhere. It's much cheaper to just keep him than to roll the dice with a rookie who will probably make more than both Jones $900K salary and $3M dead money figure. We can keep Jones and use the first round pick to fill the hole your plan would seek to fill with a 4th or 5th rounder.

$3M is still a small number, if in fact that is what the number would be. We really don't know for sure. If you have a chance to get Knowshon Moreno, YOU DO IT. It doesn't matter what Thomas Jones' cap hit may or may not be, Moreno is clear and far the best back in this draft and the Jets would be foolish not to take him at 17 if he is there unless one of the two big receiver names are there.

$3M is still a small number, if in fact that is what the number would be. We really don't know for sure. If you have a chance to get Knowshon Moreno, YOU DO IT. It doesn't matter what Thomas Jones' cap hit may or may not be, Moreno is clear and far the best back in this draft and the Jets would be foolish not to take him at 17 if he is there unless one of the two big receiver names are there.

RB is an easy position to fill. We don't need to take one this year.

I'd love Tyson Jackson, but agree he wont be around. And I'm keen to Everett Brown as well, but that's only because I think he'll be the best defensive player drafted out of this group...although I'm biased lol

To answer someones question on Jones, he is only scheduled to make $900,000 this season so trading him for a 4th or 5th round pick and taking Moreno at 17 would be ideal.

So you're saying that a 4th or 5th round pick that may not even make the roster and almost certainly will not be starting next year is equal in value to Thomas Jones who made the Pro Bowl last year? And it makes sense to trade a starting running back that is making that little money this season? I don't see it.

Especially not for a back who may or not pan out. Moreno has serious questions. With his size, how does his physical running style translate to a league with bigger, faster, and stronger players? And is his speed going to be good enough? That's a major roll of the dice.

We basically give up our starting RB and first round pick to take an unproven back who may or may not translate to the NFL well and a fourth or fifth rounder.

So you're saying that a 4th or 5th round pick that may not even make the roster and almost certainly will not be starting next year is equal in value to Thomas Jones who made the Pro Bowl last year? And it makes sense to trade a starting running back that is making that little money this season? I don't see it.

Especially not for a back who may or not pan out. Moreno has serious questions. With his size, how does his physical running style translate to a league with bigger, faster, and stronger players? And is his speed going to be good enough? That's a major roll of the dice.

We basically give up our starting RB and first round pick to take an unproven back who may or may not translate to the NFL well and a fourth or fifth rounder.

No. He is saying he'd rather have a 4th or 5th rounder and have a $3M cap hit than keep Thomas Jones around and save $500K off the cap. All because he's in love with Moreno. I don't know much about Moreno, but I don't see the problem in having three backs.

No. He is saying he'd rather have a 4th or 5th rounder and have a $3M cap hit than keep Thomas Jones around and save $500K off the cap. All because he's in love with Moreno. I don't know much about Moreno, but I don't see the problem in having three backs.

Not to mention, whatever value he has due to his cheap $900K salary this year isn't really that valuable because his new team is going to have to up the ante on that (unless they want to trade for him, use him for one year, and then cut him before 2010).

I agree with your last statement. If the Jets love Moreno or Wells then I don't have an issue with them carrying either guy as a third RB. Older RBs like Jones tend to break down quickly. It would be good insurance to have Jones' replacement on hand a year earlier than absolutely necessary. On the other hand, I like the second tier of RB prospects and would be happy to the Jets go this route in the second or third round.

I don't see that Jones will have much value in a trade.

Why?

He's not a fan of moreno. I will say this. Moreno is not going to wow you with his speed or power. But, the go has great instincts, finds the hole well, and is a great student of how the game is played.

As far as your list goes I see one name not on it. Don't be surprised if we stay put and draft Freeman. Everyone else I agree with.

WR Jeremy Maclin

RB Knowshon Moreno

RB Beanie Wells

WR Michael Crabtree

DT BJ Raji

DE Tyson Jackson

DB Malcolm Jenkins

Here's my long list.

Butler

Crabtree

Curry

Jackson

Jenkins

Maclin

Monroe

Moreno

Pettigrew

Robiskie

A. Smith

J. Smith

'Cus Irish has alchohol poisoning from drinking too much.

That and Moreno being slow and overrated.

I'd take both Wells and McCoy before I'd take him. I think he's no more than a JAG at the next level. He'd put up decent #'s but nothing exceptionally better than Jones behind this line IMO. Jones too is a JAG.

This just in from Hutch, and I agree the price would be too high

The Jets best chance to get Sanchez would be to go up to the eighth slot -- where the Jaguars may be looking to slide down. But it would cost the Jets second- and fourth-round picks to do so in addition to their 17th selection, according to the NFL draft-chart. That's almost their entire draft.

It seems unlikely the Jets would be willing to do that, especially with three young quarterbacks -- Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff and Erik Ainge -- already on the roster.

Archived