NYJ Draft: the final targets

bitonti

hahaha..

Hey, Sanchez is by far my favorite QB in this draft. I know you are high on him, but do you think this current plan is a good one?

My gut tells me if we do this he plays this season and basically implodes. Unless he's some kind of savant, I can't see him being anywhere ready for the NFL..

I don't mind giving up a 2nd rounder in accordance with the talent in this draft, simply due to the fact that nobody outside of the top 15-20 really does it for me. I'd hate to give up a 4th simply due to the luck we've had in that round over the years, but that's more of a superstition thing.

That being said, the Mets have collapsed 2 years counting and are 6-7 out of the gate, the Knicks missed the postseason again and Lebron's likely staying in Cleveland, and the Devils are in serious trouble in a series they should be walking through. Personally I'm just at the point where I want something to get remotely excited about again. The Favre thing was such a tease, I want a QB already, and there's no doubt that Sanchez was absolutely brilliant at times last season and the guy's a natural leader with a good attitude who I liked straight out of the gate last season...I'd do it if it were my call.

(Fwiw, I've been bogged down with school work since February, and haven't had nearly as much time as I usually do to keep up with the intricacies of the draft and the scouting process after the season, so I can only go by what I saw from most of these guys during the season, and I was a huge Sanchez fan all year. The only QB in the nation that I liked better than him was Bradford...and that's including Stafford. But, my point is, take what I say with a grain of salt, I haven't broken any of these guys down nor followed everything like I usually would).

And no, I don't think he's ready. He's going to need at least a year before starting, Ryan's going to have to Palmer him and just stick to it no matter what.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jerry Rice ran the 40 in about the same amount of time. Was he a wasted pick?

Actually not true. Rice ran around 4.4. It's an old article by Gil Brandt so the nfl.com link doesn't work, but here's the text.

http://www.pigskinheaven.com/forums/dallas-cowboys/8163-jerry-rice-almost-cowboy.html

Now you could talk about Emmitt Smith being slow, but Rice was not. Dunno why people always say he was.

If the Jets get Sanchez and he turns out to be good, he'll be the biggest sports star in NY area this side of Derek Jeter.

To that extent I hope the Jets get him and hope he turns out to be good.

Actually not true. Rice ran around 4.4. It's an old article by Gil Brandt so the nfl.com link doesn't work, but here's the text.

http://www.pigskinheaven.com/forums/dallas-cowboys/8163-jerry-rice-almost-cowboy.html

Now you could talk about Emmitt Smith being slow, but Rice was not. Dunno why people always say he was.

Excellent point.

Rice had excellent measurables as a prospect. The reason he was a mid 1st rounder was because he was from a small school, that's it.

He also wrote Sanchez off in the middle of last season, such is the convenience of switching websites I guess.

lol i have promised to be fair and speak my mind, never promised consistency!

its true I like sanchez now more than I did last year, but I think that's true of alot of people... maybe I didn't know him well enough as a prospect at that point... maybe Im too busy watching the OL... but in general it's tough to make it as starting QB of the trojans and I think he's got what it takes to make it, not only in the media market but as a QB in the league.

idk if it's realistic...but if moreno is there......how about draftin him and trading jones and our 2nd rounder for edwards. idk if that's enough to get edwards but i'd like to see that happen.

I like this idea. Moreno is going to be a stud. As a former ND fan, I would love to do 2nd and Jones for Brady Quinn but I don't think even Man"genious" is that stupid. Plus we still wouldn't have anyone for him to throw too.

I'll tell you what Bit I like the way Sanchez throws over Stafford. Also, watching USC film is almost like watching the pro game-kind of the way UM used to be

Similar comments were made about Matt Leinart and the USC offense. Not impressed.

lol i have promised to be fair and speak my mind, never promised consistency!

its true I like sanchez now more than I did last year, but I think that's true of alot of people... maybe I didn't know him well enough as a prospect at that point... maybe Im too busy watching the OL... but in general it's tough to make it as starting QB of the trojans and I think he's got what it takes to make it, not only in the media market but as a QB in the league.

Bit, As always I appreciate your contributions and knowledge, even when I disagree. I am at a loss to remember... what was your opinion on Matt Leinart a couple of years ago when he was coming out of USC?

I like this idea. Moreno is going to be a stud. As a former ND fan, I would love to do 2nd and Jones for Brady Quinn but I don't think even Man"genious" is that stupid. Plus we still wouldn't have anyone for him to throw too.

Mangini already has Jamal Lewis, making starter money, who turns 30 right before the season. Jones turns 31 right before the season & wants a pay raise himself.

I don't think Cleveland would take Jones for a 6th round pick (or a 6th rounder's value) with his demands for a new/redone contract at age 31.

Bit, As always I appreciate your contributions and knowledge, even when I disagree. I am at a loss to remember... what was your opinion on Matt Leinart a couple of years ago when he was coming out of USC?

I was not a fan... the difference between these players isn't talent, it's work ethic. Sanchez is willing to do the prep work to be great, Leinart is willing to go to the bar and get drunk.

• 2 years later...

Archived