If Brady's knee doesn't hold up, what's the Patriots backup plan? - ESPN.com

:Typotux:

After Brady, what's the Patriots' backup plan?

May 11, 2009 2:20 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

Three professional pass attempts were all Tom Brady had when he trotted onto the field for Drew Bledsoe and managed the New England Patriots' first championship campaign.

Matt Cassel had 39 attempts over his first three seasons before he assumed control of the offense and helped the Patriots win 11 games.

The folks at CareerBuilder.com recently posted a list of the top jobs that don't require experience. Cruiseline worker, English-as-second-language instructor, medical transcriber ... they forgot Patriots quarterback. I would have slotted that gig at No. 10, just ahead of movie extra.

What's cool about being Patriots quarterback is that you can start off as background filler and turn into the leading man.

If Brady's reconstructed left knee doesn't hold up as Patriot Nation prays it will, then sophomore Kevin O'Connell apparently is next in line. The Patriots have chosen not to reinforce their depth chart with veteran support after trading Cassel to the Kansas City Chiefs.

How risky is that?

Fan logic dictates if an unheralded Brady (sixth-round draft pick) can come off the bench to be a superstar, and an unknown Cassel (seventh-round draft pick) can come off the bench to get within a tiebreaker of the AFC East crown, then O'Connell (third-round draft pick) can come off the bench and run the show, too.

"It's the relative unknown that scares the living hell out of you," former Patriots quarterback Scott Zolak said. "Brett Favre might have had it four or five years ago, where all hopes rest on one guy. Now, maybe you're down to two: Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

"Your season hinges on that one guy. You hold your breath again because you don't know."

Although the Patriots kicked the tires on Kyle Boller and Patrick Ramsey, they have so far chosen not to acquire a veteran quarterback.

Brady's backups are O'Connell, who threw six passes as a rookie last year, and Matt Gutierrez, who was undrafted in 2007, has thrown one NFL pass and didn't make the team out of training camp last year. The Patriots signed rookie free agent Brian Hoyer two weeks ago.

"Ultimately, I don't think they've reached a conclusion," said former NFL executive Michael Lombardi, who writes for the National Football Post. "They haven't had a preseason to really evaluate their quarterbacks and this is the time, May and June, to see where they need to go.

"The course right now is to develop O'Connell and see where they are in the preseason and then make adjustments."

New England can't expect to keep inserting neophyte quarterbacks into the lineup and get away with it.

"I don't think that can be a recipe you can count on," Scouts Inc. analyst Matt Williamson said. "I do think there's some risk. It would be nice to have a veteran in the fold, but they know what they're doing."

Zolak doesn't see the need for veteran help.

"Last year at this time, I would have thought a veteran would be the way to go," Zolak said. "They've gone that veteran route with Vinny Testaverde and Doug Flutie, but they've never needed to use that guy.

"They went the in-house route with Cassel, developed the guy for four years and that's the route that worked when it was tested."

Zolak and Wlliamson are fans of O'Connell's.

As a sportscaster for "Patriots All-Access," a television show produced by the club, Zolak has seen the 6-foot-5 San Diego State product more than the average reporter.

"Usually, when you see these guys you think Scott Mitchell, and he doesn't move that well," Zolak said. "But the kid has a smoothness to him and is very fluid for his size. He went to his legs a lot his senior year and picked up a lot of yards on the ground."

Said Williamson: "He has all the tools to work with. He's smart. He's big. He's got a nice arm. He moves around real well."

The Patriots have made enough brilliant personnel moves since Bill Belichick took over in 2000 to earn their fans' trust. The staff has monitored O'Connell for a year. If the coaches are confident he can handle the No. 2 role, then many figure that should be enough.

While the Patriots' front office has rightly been praised for unearthing Brady and Cassel in the late rounds, not all of their quarterbacks have panned out. Lest we forget, they also drafted Rohan Davey and Kliff Kingsbury.

The Patriots also must overcome the departure of offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, the man who called the plays and molded Cassel into an NFL commodity even though Cassel hadn't started a game since high school.

"As long as you have Wes Welker, as long as you have Randy Moss ... they have some weapons," Zolak said. "With Fred Taylor and Kevin Faulk on third down, I don't care who the quarterback coach is. It's hard not to be successful with the type of players they have."

The last time Patriot Nation gave their backup quarterback a second thought was back in the Zolak and Hugh Millen days.

Ever since the Patriots selected Drew Bledsoe with the first pick of the 1993 draft, they have gone into the season without worry about their quarterback's health.

From 1993 through 2000, Bledsoe came off the field enough for his backups to average 39 mop-up attempts per season.

Bledsoe was Gibraltar in the huddle. Nobody bothered to think about his backup beyond the possibility he someday might development into Bledsoe's heir -- when Bledsoe was good and ready to abdicate. Alas, we all know that internal bleeding isn't something you can walk off.

Brady entered Game 2 of the 2001 season and remained the starter for the next 128 games, including 17 in the playoffs, until he crumpled to the turf in last year's season opener. A mangled left knee sidelined him for the rest of the year.

So, for the first time in a decade and a half, the Patriots enter training camp hopeful their quarterback will hold up.

A rebuilt knee -- one that was beset by infections early in the healing process -- offers no guarantees. The only optimism emanates from the aura of the quarterback's credentials. He has won championships, married a supermodel, almost helped Ecuador land the 2010 Winter Olympics, scored 42 points to help the Washington Generals beat the Harlem Globetrotters and almost single-handedly brought back the 8-track.

"I think it's a fluke thing with Brady," Zolak said. "I've talked with enough people who think it's almost like his rookie year again. The kid's hungry again and he's back to the old work ethic he had. That's not to say he has a bad one, but let's face it: The guy has a lot of priorities, and his life has changed since he's won three rings. But he's up and going at full go.

"Tom will be back. As good as Manning was, questions with his knee last year, he didn't really get going until about Week 5, and the guy ended up getting NFL MVP. Donovan McNabb came back from it. So it can be done."

But what if his knee doesn't hold up? As much as he's treated like a god, he is human.

"And if something happens to him, they'll go with one of the in-house guys," Zolak said. "They like the guys they have."

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brett Favre.

# 4 isnt being used.

That would be the ultimate retribution.

The Jets playoff hopes resting on Favre and the Patriots beating the Houston Texans. Of course he goes out and throws three horrible picks.

Hahaha! It would be awesome to see Bart Scott spearhead you in the chest and leave you lying there half-dead on the turf, knocked the f*** out, till the ambulance comes to scrape your ass up!!! I'd pay big money to see that! :cheers:

Pay big money to see Bart Scott's career ended by attempting to sack me? You really aren't much of a Jets fan. Just sayin'...

Hahaha! It would be awesome to see Bart Scott spearhead you in the chest and leave you lying there half-dead on the turf, knocked the f*** out, till the ambulance comes to scrape your ass up!!! I'd pay big money to see that! :cheers:

I hope to beat them with Brady because I do not want to hear another year of whining and excuses from Pathetic* fans

I hope to beat them with Brady because I do not want to hear another year of whining and excuses from Pathetic* fans

:confused:

We won 11 games without him and you won 9 games with Brett Far-vre.

I think most of Patriot Nation is grateful that Cassell was able to win 11 games.

I think most of Patriot Nation is grateful that Cassell was able to win 11 games.

And how many Pats* fans were whining about injuries when the Jets beat New England last November. It was still used as an excuse.

A dude with 161 posts is your proof? :confused:

I can go find an ECRUB post where he was right. Should I take his word as gospel? :rolleyes:

Yeah yeah yeah. "None" conveniently becomes "well, he only had blah number of posts" :rolleyes: . Conveniently ignored the other comment, but can't say I'm surprised.

It was an exhibition of just how good NE really is. Belichicks best coaching job.

Most teams would have folded tent after their starting QB went on IR first game. Technically, it wasnt the first game, but everyone knew that Brady wouldnt be back for the 08 season.

And how many Pats* fans were whining about injuries when the Jets beat New England last November. It was still used as an excuse.

How many? Please tell us.

There are only 5 - 6 regular NE fans on this site and there cant be more than a total of 10 NE fans including occasional visitors.

Yeah yeah yeah. "None" conveniently becomes "well, he only had blah number of posts" :rolleyes: . Conveniently ignored the other comment, but can't say I'm surprised.

Fark......you only have 217 posts STFU. ;)

Again, it is an infrequent poster. If the regulars posted something like that, that would be one thing.

However, it is someone that apparently only shows up twice a year. If an infrequent poster is the voice of the Patriot Nation to you, that is a you problem.

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65851

First post. And that doesn't even include the TX back handed congratulations on other boards.

Jets fans are as fun as a barrell full of monkeys!

The Pats suffered their worst injury and still managed to do extremely well - far exceeding everyone's realistic expectations. Jets fans are just pissed off because their "big" chance to be kings of the hill, behind the leadership of Lord Favre, blew up in their collective faces.

Again, it is an infrequent poster. If the regulars posted something like that, that would be one thing.

However, it is someone that apparently only shows up twice a year. If an infrequent poster is the voice of the Patriot Nation to you, that is a you problem.

Yes sir. I can only hope to achieve the goal of having over 13,000 posts on an opposing team's message board. It would complete my life. Oh great wise one, I have much to learn from you.

His 217 posts are more important and valuable to this site than your 18 million.

His 217 posts are more important and valuable to this site than your 18 million.

Here is the thing. While newjakecity only has 218 and counting, I remember him. So he must have posted something intelligent along the lines.

You have 11K and I cannot think of one

Gosh, what does that say about YOUR humorless, witless garbage, Mr. Asshat?

+10

Yes sir. I can only hope to achieve the goal of having over 13,000 posts on an opposing team's message board. It would complete my life. Oh great wise one, I have much to learn from you.

Unemployment helps. :Nuts:;)

Gosh, what does that say about YOUR humorless, witless garbage, Mr. Asshat?

Have I intellectually lapped you so many times that you don't even try anything but baseless and childish personal insults. I thought you were better than this. Not much better, but a little bit.

Here is the thing. While newjakecity only has 218 and counting, I remember him. So he must have posted something intelligent along the lines.

You have 11K and I cannot think of one

+10

Unemployment helps. :Nuts:;)

On noes guys, the two chowds with a combined IQ of 50 are ganging up on me. Whatever shall I do. I r surround.

Have I intellectually lapped you so many times that you don't even try anything but baseless and childish personal insults. I thought you were better than this. Not much better, but a little bit.

PFSIKH say's "hello," Mr. Asshat.

For an example of this, read first quote. :rolleyes:

Kevin Oconell is rumored to be next in line should the unmentionable happen again.

But for one, Fred Taylor is supposed to be a better blocker than the RB's on board before him. I'm guessing Belichick tells the guys protecting Brady that above all else keeping Bradys uniform clean is job # 1.

Secondly, Belichick is too smart to put everything on Bradys shoulders from the outset. NE can rush the ball more just like they did with Cassel.

I am not concerned in the least with Brady.

For an example of this, read first quote. :rolleyes:

I stand by what I said. The posts made by a Pats troll on a Jets message board aren't really worth that much. It is also a fact that you have an astronomical number of posts on the messageboard of a team you do not root for. In my opinion and the opinion of the majority of the people here that is pathetic. Don't you have any hobbies? A job? a girlfriend? What are you doing with your life that you have all this time to be posting here when you don't even like what the site is about? What other sites of stuff you don't like do you spend hours upon hours of your free time on?

Archived