Who Is The Greatest Caucasian Rapper In The History of Hip-Hop

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends really, Eminem at his peak was about as good a MC as you can be. The problem is that it only lasted for about 3 years or so.

The Beastie Boys however, have produced a considerably remarkable career. Their career's spanned over 20 years now and they're still fairly relevant. Paul's Boutique is an album that just gets better with age, while that can't be said about any of Eminem's albums...at all. The Marshall Mathers LP came out (edit) a year after I graduated high school, and I can say pretty confidently that I in no way enjoy that album as much as I did then. At the time of its release, it was something pretty different...now, not so much. However, Ill Communication and Hello Nasty are albums I can throw on at any time and they're still just as great, sometimes even better if you think about the context and times of the albums.

Between the two, I think a large amount of attention has to be paid to production. The Beastie Boys have long contributed either heavily or directly to the production of their albums, and it's always worked. With Em though, it seemed that the more he tried doing it on his own and straying from Dre, the worse his music became.

The Streets deserve a mention as well. Certainly not the best rapper in the world, but the lyrical detail in his music is rivaled only by a few other MC's in history. Aesop Rock's a badass too...Bazooka Tooth is one of the more underrated albums of the decade.

Archived