Who Is The Greatest Caucasian Rapper In The History of Hip-Hop

You old people who were 12 when they first came out still like them! Way to prove that point.

And how many people are fans of the same music they liked when they were 12 by the time they get into their 30s?

When JiF was 12, he loved New Kids on the Block and Wham. :rim:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Debbie Harry. Well, certainly the best looking.

XCaU8LcwGTA

I hate to call this on a technicality but Blondie may have been the best and the first.

Eminem also very good but she's easier on the eyes.

Beasties are overrated.

I hate to call this on a technicality but Blondie may have been the best and the first.

Eminem also very good but she's easier on the eyes.

Beasties are overrated.

Beastie boys overrated?!

No way.

The Beastie Boys are rich spoiled brats who latched onto a trend and made a career out of it.If you fed a computer a profile of how to sell suburban white kids rap, the Beasite Boys would be the result. Same idea as Jon Bon Jovi. They all went to St.Ann's Prep, which is about as "street" as a regatta. The tuition today is about $60K, and it wasn't much lower back when they went there. May not like rap, but still recongize a shrewd marketing campaign rather than actual talent.

Is this like "Who is the best ice hockey player from a tropical climate?".

"Best Irish sprinter?"

"Most aerobically-fit fat guy?"

Being street has nothing to do with it, Beastie took rap 20 years forward. Being street is a complete joke and has ruined rap and all of hip hop.

Jason Smyth and Paul Hession are the best Irish sprinters

Being street has nothing to do with it, Beastie took rap 20 years forward. Being street is a complete joke and has ruined rap and all of hip hop.

Jason Smyth and Paul Hession are the best Irish sprinters

The BBs were genuises in figuring out that sampling rock music familiar to white kids was a great marketing strategy. All rap is derivative, and they found a way to appeal to a broader and more supportive audience by doing so. I think that is more a function of good marketing than musical talent. Suspect growing up wealthy didn't hurt when they made their videos. Their production values were always superior, minimovies rather than a bunch of knuckleheads giving gang signals in front of a housing project which was often the norm.

And derivative isn't a knock. All music is to some degree or other borrowing what cam before it. But rap isn't much more that that. You cannot say the BBs are great guitarists or wonderful singers.

For better or worse rap has always had a "street cred" element. And on that count the BBs are wanting.

The BBS were genuises in figuring out that sampling rock music familiar to white kids was a great marketing strategy. All rap is derivative, and they found a way to appeal to a broader and more supportive audience by doing so. I think that is more a function of good marketing than musical talent. Suspect growing up wealthy didn't hurt when they made their videos. Their production values were always superior, minimovies rather than a bunch of knuckleheads giving gang signals in front of a housing project which was often the norm.

And derivative isn't a knock. All music is to some degree or other borrowing what cam before it. But rap isn't much more that that. You cannot say the BBs are great guitarists or wonderful singers.

For better or worse rap has always had a "street cred" element. And on that count the BBs are wanting.

Dude, they didnt grow up wealthy, I dont know where you got that from. They grew up in the biz with Def Jam and Rick Rubin, thats why there marketing and production was superior. Also, how difficult is it to market something that NOBODY has ever seen before...3 white jewish rappers that were getting respect at some of the most thug-ed out venues in the country...all the old school DEF JAM crew they went on tour with would rush to the stage to see the Beastie perform because of how talented they were and what a spectacle it was to see 3 jews having a crowd of the toughest thugs in the country bobbing their heads.

And yes you can definitely say that the Beasties are good musicians. MCA is one of the best bassist in the biz. Ask around the guy plays hip hop beats on a stand up base. You do realize that 90% of their music, rap included is based of jams they do in the studio and then they sample on top of that...right?

Bottom line my man, is that you dont last 4 decades in the biz without talent. And the fact that they can nail any genre of music on the head is a testament to how talented they are...you need to look beyond their rap and realize they are not rappers...they are talented musicians who you cant even classify in a specific genre.

That takes talent.

The BBs were genuises in figuring out that sampling rock music familiar to white kids was a great marketing strategy. All rap is derivative, and they found a way to appeal to a broader and more supportive audience by doing so. I think that is more a function of good marketing than musical talent. Suspect growing up wealthy didn't hurt when they made their videos. Their production values were always superior, minimovies rather than a bunch of knuckleheads giving gang signals in front of a housing project which was often the norm.

Are you suggesting that most rap with "cred" is based on musical talent? Lol. Hey, sing me C.R.E.A.M. in E-minor.

+1

Its really not close in the slightest.

And the funny part is, I wouldnt even consider the Beastie's Hip-Hop. They are the most versatile band in the history of music and its not even close. There really has never been a band that has absolutely nailed spot on as many genres as the B-Boys.

Rap, Hip-Hop, Hardcore, Punk Rock, Alternative, Jazz Instrumentals, Reggae, Dance/Electro, Brazilian Folk, Acoustic, Country.

They are in serious consideration IMO as one of the greatest bands of all time. And that doesnt even include the fact that they have impacted 3 decades of music. If it werent for the Beastie's, bands/artists like Eminem and other white rappers and Rage Against the Machine and any of those bands that have tried to incorporate rap/rock.

Well said.

Licensed to Ill was great but Paul's Boutique blew me away. That is the best album ever.

The Beastie Boys have always been ahead of the curve. Check Your Head, Ill Communication, Hello Nasty.....

BTW: These guys are the best caucasian rappers of all time!

s481oxAzAE8

Archived