Question for serious poker players

Boozer76

OK here's the scenario:

$1-$2 blinds cash game

You are on the button, 10 players at the table. Everyone folds around to you and you look down at 6-7 suited diamonds. You call the blinds since you really don't have much and are hoping to limp in and see a flop. Small blind calls, big blind raises to $5. Meaningless raise so you call it to see the flop. Small blind calls as well. Flop comes out:

3 diamonds

4 diamonds

5 spades

Small blind bets $50. Large blind raises to $100. Action is over to you and you floped a nut straight and have a diamond draw and a potential straight flush draw. You have about $300 in chips, small blind has about $200 and big blind has $400. Question #1, what do you do.

I'll go into further detail when I get some answers.

OK here's the scenario:

$1-$2 blinds cash game

You are on the button, 10 players at the table. Everyone folds around to you and you look down at 6-7 suited diamonds. You call the blinds since you really don't have much and are hoping to limp in and see a flop. Small blind calls, big blind raises to $5. Meaningless raise so you call it to see the flop. Small blind calls as well. Flop comes out:

3 diamonds

4 diamonds

5 spades

Small blind bets $50. Large blind raises to $100. Action is over to you and you floped a nut straight and have a diamond draw and a potential straight flush draw. You have about $300 in chips, small blind has about $200 and big blind has $400. Question #1, what do you do.

I'll go into further detail when I get some answers.

Go all in. Two worst case senerios

- one guy has AK or AQ suited diamonds is playing the nut flush draw or hoping to pair, the other guy flopped 2 pair and needs to make a boat.

You're a 63% favorite against 24% for the flush draw and 14% for the 2 pair.

- same guy w/ AK suited diamonds and the second guy has a pocket pair of 3's 4's or 5's and hit a set.

Your a little worse off here - 48% favorite, the flush draw is 20% and the set is 31%.

Get your money in with the best hand - fold when you think you have the best hand, might as well quit and go home.

Go all in. Two worst case senerios

- one guy has AK or AQ suited diamonds is playing the nut flush draw or hoping to pair, the other guy flopped 2 pair and needs to make a boat.

You're a 63% favorite against 24% for the flush draw and 14% for the 2 pair.

- same guy w/ AK suited diamonds and the second guy has a pocket pair of 3's 4's or 5's and hit a set.

Your a little worse off here - 48% favorite, the flush draw is 20% and the set is 31%.

Get your money in with the best hand - fold when you think you have the best hand, might as well quit and go home.

Well done. OK now turn it around for me. You are the big blind. You are in for $5 pre flop, the small blind opens with $50 to you. You look down at pocket 4's, making your set with the pre-mentioned flop of 3d, 4d, 5s. You raise to $100 only to see the button re-raise going all in with $345. Reluctantly the small blind folds, leaving you to call a $245 raise with $60 total in the pot that wasn't yours to begin with. Do you call??

1) you should of folded when he raised to $5

2) since your already pot commited and u see a great

draw go with it.

3) as soon as you see that diamond draw make a

bet that wont scare but is too much to lose on

nothing because going all in after the flop is

a sign of a weak hand or maybe your afraid.

4) if he dosnt fold after the turn go all in, you

should win.

P.S jets are gonna fold this sunday!

1) you should of folded when he raised to $5

2) since your already pot commited and u see a great

draw go with it.

3) as soon as you see that diamond draw make a

bet that wont scare but is too much to lose on

nothing because going all in after the flop is

a sign of a weak hand or maybe your afraid.

4) if he dosnt fold after the turn go all in, you

should win.

P.S jets are gonna fold this sunday!

1-I could totally see how folding preflop with a raise to $5 by the small blind. The reason I didn't was simply it was cheap. Most raises were to $10 preflop.

2-I'm assuming you are speaking on behalf of the pocket 4's being pot committed. I strongly disagree. As you can see earlier, the trip 4's had $400 remaining after already commiting $100 to the pot. Throwing $250 more to save $100 is not being pot committed.

3-The small blind did just that, then wisely folded out when he was raised.

Here's what happened. I was the one with the nut straight after the flop. After going all in the small blind wisely folded, abandoning his $50 bet. This left it tothe big blind. The mere fact that he was contemplating calling for such a long time led me to believe he may have made a straight as well as me. I figured I was in great shape since I had 2 over cards to make the straight, and my hand had great potential to get better. Originally I put him on a set when he raised to $100.

When he decided to call, I found that I was correct originally putting him on the set. I was amazed because the guy knew I had a straight, therefore he KNEW that his hand ould have to draw to a full house or quads to beat me. Yet he still calls anyway. So of course what happens when an idiot does this against you, after you've done everything by the book uin this hand, thinking you would be happy ith the $150 in the pot? The dude hits runner runner 7's to make his full house. Between the Jets and poker, I'm becomming one severely pissed off person.

Wrong! Poker is 75% luck 25% skill... and boozer do not gamble after watching that group of guys you call the jets.....lol

Poker is not a matter of luck, it's a matter of skill. Although it is greatly a game of instincts and reading people, I believe knowing your statistical situation, your outs, actual and implied odds are just as important than your read on a person. If you have a great read on someone and know their hand, but you only have 4 outs to hit yours and you don't realize that, it doesn't matter how good of instincts you have, you won't win.

And in the long run, skill does beat out luck.

if it wasn't for situations like these guys like Phil Helmuth, Doyle, Johnny F--king Chan, TJ Cloutier etc would literally win every hold em tournament they enter.

you flopped the nut straight and he hit runner runner to beat you, it's just bad luck.

You should feel good about your play and move on. The luck will even itself out in the end. Great poker players look at their whole life as a poker game, the days are just sessions.

You might be up one day down the next but in the long term the really really really big picture if you are a skillful player you will be up overall.

put it another way it's better you get that bad luck out of your system at the 1/2 tables rather than at the final table of a major tournament someday.

if it wasn't for situations like these guys like Phil Helmuth, Doyle, Johnny F--king Chan, TJ Cloutier etc would literally win every hold em tournament they enter.

you flopped the nut straight and he hit runner runner to beat you, it's just bad luck.

You should feel good about your play and move on. The luck will even itself out in the end. Great poker players look at their whole life as a poker game, the days are just sessions.

You might be up one day down the next but in the long term the really really really big picture if you are a skillful player you will be up overall.

put it another way it's better you get that bad luck out of your system at the 1/2 tables rather than at the final table of a major tournament someday.

True. The ander is dissipating. :mrgreen:

Archived