Herm's game face is on!

RSJ

First let me ask you - how could a college educated person take this moron seriously?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/346489p-295722c.html

Herm's game face is on!

Fires up Jets for re-launch

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Herm Edwards looks like he is turning up intensity after K.C. debacle, and hands Jets list of fundamentals to make point.

The Jets haven't won a football game - a game that mattered - in 250 days. So yesterday Herm Edwards felt it was time to give his team a refresher course.

It was Philosophy 101, with Edwards delivering a fiery lecture entitled, "How The Jets Win!"

Trying to regroup after the season-opening debacle in Kansas City, Edwards emphasized to his team the importance of returning to its blue-collar personality - a theme he willingly shared later with the media.

In fact, the Jets' coach was so eager to publicize his agenda that he allowed the public relations staff to distribute copies of the talking points he showed the team on his overhead projector.

"We're not some glamor team because we play in New York," said Edwards, admitting the Jets may have been too enamored of themselves going into Kansas City.

"We're a blue-collar, hard-working team. We do things a certain way. Sometimes it looks boring, but it wins."

Welcome to the House of Blue Collar.

If a blue-collar football team is a team that consistently wins the turnover battle, outrushes its opponents and commits few penalties, the Jets are true blue. You can look up the stats from Edwards' first four seasons. They won 35 times, many of them low-scoring games in which they did just enough to prevail.

Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil called them "the smartest team in the league," but that was before last Sunday's mistake-a-minute ugliness.

"In that game, I don't think we were blue, white, black, whatever-collar," Curtis Martin said. "We didn't play well. We are that blue-collar team. We come in, we're not going to out-trick you and we're not going to have all the talent in the world. But we're going to outwork you, and that's what we didn't do Sunday."

The Jets were guilty of seven fumbles, three turnovers, six dropped passes, eight penalties and one fistfight between teammates. Final score: 27-7.

Perhaps sensing a potential crisis as the Jets prepare for the rejuvenated Dolphins (1-0), Edwards turned into Fire-and-Brimstone Herm. He addressed the team in a stern tone, even using some salty language, according to players - something he rarely does.

Using a projector in the team meeting, Edwards displayed his keys to victory:

Smart/fast/physical.

Run the ball/stop the run.

Protect the ball/take it away.

Solid special teams/no foolish fouls.

Every football coach in America uses those bromides, but Edwards has a way of making them sound compelling. Later, in front of the cameras, he was quick with an analogy to sell his message.

"When you go to the prom, you rent your tuxedo, you get one of those big limousines and you feel pretty good," he said. "The next day, you come to school, you're driving a Volkswagen.

"Don't forget where you come from. That's what we've got to understand. We play a certain way. We've got to get back to playing that way."

You've heard of high-powered teams being compared to Ferraris and Cadillacs? Edwards might be the first coach who covets a Volkswagen team, which raises a question:

Does that mean he wants to return to Paul Hackett's conservative style of offense? No, Edwards insisted; he wants new coordinator Mike Heimerdinger to stick with his system, sans the foul-ups and blunders.

"A winning team doesn't do dumb things," Kevin Mawae said, "and we did a lot of dumb things on Sunday."

Yesterday, they paid with a grueling practice. Afterward, many sweat-soaked players walked into the locker room, breathing hard from a rounder of gassers.

"We were under the thumb today, if you know what I mean," Pete Kendall said. "There weren't a lot of 'Attaboys' from the coaches."

Sometimes a blue collar gets tight around the neck.

Originally published on September 15, 2005

Discuss.

The damn ground was not even in rain or snow. Misses his footing, what a joke.

Does Nugent overstride when he walks and trip on his feet?? What a clown.

If you watch the replay, his footwork was all screwed up.

He planted his foot almost a full yard away from where he should have.

How the hell does that happen to a guy that has probaly kicked 10,000 kicks? :shock:

If you watch the replay, his footwork was all screwed up.

He planted his foot almost a full yard away from where he should have.

How the hell does that happen to a guy that has probaly kicked 10,000 kicks? :shock:

Beats me. I came home and watched the game on tape, so the game was not as long and hard to watch for me, but when Nuge slipped and had that FG blocked I just sat their infront of the tv with a wtf look on my face, unbelievable.

Imagine, you are no-nonsense All-Pro veteran center Kevin Mawae. You come to your locker and see THIS:::

If you're afraid to compete call 911.

And then THIS:::

Smart/fast/physical.

Run the ball/stop the run.

Protect the ball/take it away.

Solid special teams/no foolish fouls.

Herm=Assclown

Imagine, you are no-nonsense All-Pro veteran center Kevin Mawae. You come to your locker and see THIS:::

And then THIS:::

Herm=Assclown

And if you're Kevin Mawae, you'd shut the f#^k up and like it. Maybe he should be working out the shutgun snap with Pennington instead of flying to Louisina. He can still send supplys and donate or whatever, but this team needs him too. He cant be both places at the same time, but he can still help the people down south as well as practicing the shotgun snap with Chad.

If it happens 1 more fu^king time this season with the shotgun snap over Chads head, I am going to go crazy.

Good point TS but as Max said, that is Herm.

We'd kill him if he didn't kick their a$$ in practice this week.

As for that, I love that Herm is suddenly getting credit for being a taskmaster. Question: where was taskmaster Herm when he had Cottrell and Hackett? Answer: nowhere. The ass-kicking is being done by Dinger and Hendu. Herm is an impartial observer. And a moron.

As for that, I love that Herm is suddenly getting credit for being a taskmaster. Question: where was taskmaster Herm when he had Cottrell and Hackett? Answer: nowhere. The a$$-kicking is being done by Dinger and Hendu. Herm is an impartial observer. And a moron.

Nope. Herm will not get credit of any sort from most of us, win or lose.

Neither will Martin and neither will Chad.

If Herm blows two games ala Balt and Pitt again this year I am off the fence and with you on this one.

Nope. Herm will not get credit of any sort from most of us, win or lose.

Neither will Martin and neither will Chad.

If Herm blows two games ala Balt and Pitt again this year I am off the fence and with you on this one.

Holla. I just don't understand that going into Year Five people are still willing to stand behind Herm. NOBODY gets five+ seasons in a head gig without getting his team AT LEAST to the Super Bowl. Hell, people in Pittsburgh despise Cowher and he has that team ready to kill most weeks and HAS taken it to the Super Bowl. Yet, Jets fans are like "Oh no, Herm's been to the playoffs three times. He's still learning on the job."

In fact, the Jets' coach was so eager to publicize his agenda that he allowed the public relations staff to distribute copies of the talking points he showed the team on his overhead projector.

Sell, Sell, Sell!

Herm can be at your next sales conference to bore your staff to sleep with his overwrought cliches for the price of $4,995.00, SUV rental, 1st class plane tickets to your event and a suite at a quality hotel.

The password is DESPERATION. I fully expect this team to come out and kick hiney. But Edwards knows this is a big home division game vs. a team that is less talented than the Jets.

But Edwards knows this is a big home division game vs. a team that is less talented than the Jets.

I love it, you guys are hilarious. :P

Every team the Jets seem to play have "less talent" then the Jets. You guys said the exact same thing about the Chiefs last week.

And then that "less talented" team goes out and completely kicks the Jets a**.

When will you guys stop over rating the Jets? They are not that talented.

Every team the Jets seem to play have "less talent" then the Jets. You guys said the exact same thing about the Chiefs last week.

When will you guys stop over rating the Jets? They are not that talented.

Tx is 100% correct here.

We are right back to the days of bruce coslet when everyday a newspaper is writing about how good the players on the Jets are and the fans are buying into it.

You are only as talented as yuor record says you are and right now we are 0-1.

Do me a favor. Using our free search feature please show me the Jet fan that said the Jets are more talented than the Chiefs. That team is LOADED.

Maybe it was said, I can't read everything. But I don't recall seeing that. If you would take 3 minutes out of your busy day to do that it would be appreciated!

When will you guys stop over rating the Jets? They are not that talented.[/q

Sorry, Jets have no more talent then the Dolphins

Exactly

"Top Tier" players on the Jets

Vilma

Ellis

Abraham

Mawae

"Solid NFL Players" on the Jets

Kendall

Barton

DRob