Glazer Piece of Next Crop of NFL HC Candidates

TomShane

I would have no problem with giving Gregg Williams a shot if we canned Herm. I think in his 2nd stint he will do a heck of a job. The guy can coach, he just has to stop acting like an arrogant little jerk on the sidelines. His TD celebrations used to drive me mad.

Please.

This guy was the personification of "deer in the headlights" in Buffalo. He had no clue at all, and looked it on the sidelines.

Great coordinator, lousy head coach. Pete Carroll II.

Please.

This guy was the personification of "deer in the headlights" in Buffalo. He had no clue at all, and looked it on the sidelines.

Yeah?

Herm is the personification of "deer in headlights" here in New York, has no clue at all, and looks it on the sidelines.

Herm was NEVER a coordinator, and is a lousy coach.

See what we Herm haters are saying now? Makes a lot more sense now, doesn't it?

Please.

Maybe, but I saw a HC who REBUILT the Buffalo defense and was victimized by a complete stiff in Drew Bledsoe.

We'll see who is right when he gets another shot. :P

you guys are trippin, Herm discovered Donnie now you want to fire Herm and hire Donnie as HC?

did someone say wade phillips? sean payton???

hello???

Herm isn't belly but he's a better NFL HC then all of these candidates.

Who's a better NFL Head Coach, if you wee to hire them right now, Bit?...

Marvin Lewis or Herm?

John Fox or Herm?

Jim Mora Jr. or Herm?

Jon Gruden or Herm?

Romeo Crennel or Herm?

Nick Saban or Herm?

Joe Gibbs or Herm?

All of these guys came available during Herm's tenure here. Now, not all of them are necessarily better than Herm, but the point is that great Head Coaches are out there, you just have to find them and get them.

I would take Brad Childress in a split second over Herm. I would take Jim Fassel over Herm. I would take Donnie over Herm. I would take Dinger over Herm.

Herm has reached his ceiling. What you pro-Herm guys preached for years was that Herm had alot of potential. It's Year Five. They came out flat and got blown out in one of the most embarrassing displays of ineptitude in Jets' history. Enough is enough. I don't even care if Herm somehow squeezes 9 wins out of this team. It's over for him if he doesn't push this team to AT LEAST the AFC Championship Game. This jackass is out of excuses, and it looks an awful lot like his preacher act has worn thin in the locker room as well. He's babbling, nobody is listening.

What HAS to be done if Herm doesn't get it done this year is that Herm has to be pitched to the street and a new HC has to be found. You cannot keep dead weight around for a sixth year because you're afraid that Brad Childress is Ray Handley or that Kirk Ferentz is Steve Spurrier. That is what losing franchises do. I don't think Woody is in the business of maintaining a losing franchise.

This jackass is out of excuses, and it looks an awful lot like his preacher act has worn thin in the locker room as well. He's babbling, nobody is listening.

Unfortunately, Herm still has a couple more excuses dug deep down in his bag of excuses. We all know if the Jets take a step back this year it will be blamed on Chad's shoulder, how he missed the whole offseason with the installment of a new offense, his shoulder was not 100% all year, he was not in 100% playing shape all year and we have to give him a full year with the new O blah blah blah.

That, and Im sure Herm will blame a bad season on the free agents we lost this year. Just how he blamed the 03 season on the the free agent defectees from that year.

Dont worry he will figure something out to sell to the NY media.

Sometimes I worry that dude his michael myers, he just wont go away.

Herm wins it all and everyone will still blast him. He has the respect of his team. He has the respect of his coaches (Dinger moved quick to come here).

He HIRED DONNIE. When nobody else was even talking about him.

Anyone remember the old SouthernJets rants back then? Herm is going to hire his LB coach buddy from the Eagles. Herm has no clue.

Herm made a great selection in Donnie yet receives no credit for it.

Who's a better NFL Head Coach, if you wee to hire them right now, Bit?...

Marvin Lewis or Herm?

John Fox or Herm?

Jim Mora Jr. or Herm?

Jon Gruden or Herm?

Romeo Crennel or Herm?

Nick Saban or Herm?

Joe Gibbs or Herm?

Herm is comparable or better to all of these guys. ALL OF EM! Gibbs was great 20 years ago. Herm beat Marvin (8-8) Lewis straight up. Crennel is 0-1 as a HC oh yeah he's better than Herm. Nick Saban has had 1 game ok yeah let's put him in canton. Jim Mora Jr is good but cmon that team is never going to win anything. JOn Gruden got very lucky matched up with the team running an offense he created in the super bowl(plus he just hired Hackett!) John Fox is the only one that maybe is better but again did you see him go for 2 a couple quarters early in the super bowl? If Herm did that you guys would crucify him.

I would take Brad Childress in a split second over Herm. I would take Jim Fassel over Herm. I would take Donnie over Herm. I would take Dinger over Herm.

These statements pretty much speak for themselves. Jim Fassel? Hello?

That is what losing franchises do. I don't think Woody is in the business of maintaining a losing franchise.

Bro, step back from the dust off can - Losing franchises don't go to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years.

Yeah?

Herm is the personification of "deer in headlights" here in New York, has no clue at all, and looks it on the sidelines.

Herm was NEVER a coordinator, and is a lousy coach.

See what we Herm haters are saying now? Makes a lot more sense now, doesn't it?

You still have not given me a qualified candidate.

I live in Bills country, and believe me, Bledsoe was not the problem. Christ, the guy had a monster year here the first year.

The Bills defense was not good until last year under Mularkey. Go back and look at Bledsoe's first year with the Bills and see how many shootouts they were involved in.

Gregg Williams was totally overwhelmed as a head coach. He could not manage a game, and was the worst I've seen yet in challenging plays. And don't compare him to Belichick in Cleveland. Belichick went 12-4 in Cleveland and was dismissed among all the Modell BS and the move to Baltimore. Williams couldn't go 12-4 in a Pop Warner league.

Max is right, the Herm haters will never give him any credit. He's not the best coach in the NFL, but we need to give him credit for some things. Like getting rid of all the old detritus left over from Parcells (whose best talent seems to be running away) while still winning football games. Like hiring Donnie. Like having the best 4-5 year run in the history of this franchise.

I wish you Herm haters could remember what it was like a few years ago. If you lived out of New York as a Jet fan, you were laughed at mercilessly and scorn and ridicule was heaped on you by the truckload. And if you didn't get that, you got pity. I'm not sure which was worse. But that doesn't happen anymore, and Herm and Bradway are a big part of it.

You want Herm fired, fine. Give me someone who is demonstrably better and available. You haven't yet. All I've seen is the same old retreads and failures. Now if we go in the tank for a couple of years, then I'll agree that we should start looking. But not now.

You still have not given me a qualified candidate.

I live in Bills country, and believe me, Bledsoe was not the problem. Christ, the guy had a monster year here the first year.

The Bills defense was not good until last year under Mularkey. Go back and look at Bledsoe's first year with the Bills and see how many shootouts they were involved in.

Gregg Williams was totally overwhelmed as a head coach. He could not manage a game, and was the worst I've seen yet in challenging plays. And don't compare him to Belichick in Cleveland. Belichick went 12-4 in Cleveland and was dismissed among all the Modell BS and the move to Baltimore. Williams couldn't go 12-4 in a Pop Warner league.

Max is right, the Herm haters will never give him any credit. He's not the best coach in the NFL, but we need to give him credit for some things. Like getting rid of all the old detritus left over from Parcells (whose best talent seems to be running away) while still winning football games. Like hiring Donnie. Like having the best 4-5 year run in the history of this franchise.

I wish you Herm haters could remember what it was like a few years ago. If you lived out of New York as a Jet fan, you were laughed at mercilessly and scorn and ridicule was heaped on you by the truckload. And if you didn't get that, you got pity. I'm not sure which was worse. But that doesn't happen anymore, and Herm and Bradway are a big part of it.

You want Herm fired, fine. Give me someone who is demonstrably better and available. You haven't yet. All I've seen is the same old retreads and failures. Now if we go in the tank for a couple of years, then I'll agree that we should start looking. But not now.

Cowboys offensive coordinator Sean Payton

Please! If Bledsoe wasnt the problem then why did the Bills get rid of him? The guy stunk, in a big spot he was a sack or a turnover waiting to happen. When Belly was willing to trade him inside his own division the sirens should have went off in the heads of Buffalo's front office. Bledsoe lost a game to Pittsburgh's 3rd string last year with the playoffs on the line for crying out loud... Williams took over Buffalo when their D was terrible and he rebuilt the unit. Maybe his game management skills stunk, but thats something that can be improved upon. Not everybody is like Herm. People get better.

All you Hermie lovers can only grasp onto the "well show us who is better" arguement. obviously its impossible for any of us to do that at this point, we cant look into the future, we have no crystal ball. But what the Jets can do is evaluate the candidates thoroughly and make a good educated decision. At least we are willing to take a shot on somebody else. If you are scared to make a move because you are worried the next guy will suck then you just have a loser mentality. OK, lets go 9-7 or 10-6 at best every year and get bounced in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Yea, fascinating stuff.

Please! If Bledsoe wasnt the problem then why did the Bills get rid of him? The guy stunk, in a big spot he was a sack or a turnover waiting to happen. When Belly was willing to trade him inside his own division the sirens should have went off in the heads of Buffalo's front office. Bledsoe lost a game to Pittsburgh's 3rd string last year with the playoffs on the line for crying out loud... Williams took over Buffalo when their D was terrible and he rebuilt the unit. Maybe his game management skills stunk, but thats something that can be improved upon. Not everybody is like Herm. People get better.

All you Hermie lovers can only grasp onto the "well show us who is better" arguement. obviously its impossible for any of us to do that at this point, we cant look into the future, we have no crystal ball. But what the Jets can do is evaluate the candidates thoroughly and make a good educated decision. At least we are willing to take a shot on somebody else. If you are scared to make a move because you are worried the next guy will suck then you just have a loser mentality. OK, lets go 9-7 or 10-6 at best every year and get bounced in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Yea, fascinating stuff.

Wtf are you talking about? Did you even read my post? I said Payton will win THIS year with Bledsoe - the guy you said no one can win with and is a proven failure. If that happens Payton deserves a HC job in New York and the Jets should do what it takes to get him here.

Wtf are you talking about? Did you even read my post? I said Payton will win THIS year with Bledsoe - the guy you said no one can win with and is a proven failure. If that happens Payton deserves a HC job in New York and the Jets should do what it takes to get him here.

I was responding to NorthCoastJetFan

Sorry then.

But what are your feelings on Payton?

Eh, never struck me as a HC material. Sans a few spurts here and there his playcalling with the Giants was brutal. His offenses would do all this motion and shifting just to run a dive up the middle. When Fassell took the playcalling away from him in 2002 the offense took off and led them into the playoffs.

I rather keep herm the hire Payton. JMHO.

Eh, never struck me as a HC material. Sans a few spurts here and there his playcalling with the Giants was brutal. His offenses would do all this motion and shifting just to run a dive up the middle. When Fassell took the playcalling away from him in 2002 the offense took off and led them into the playoffs.

I rather keep herm the hire Payton. JMHO.

That's fine - but wasn't it Payton's playcalling that led the giants to the super bowl? And judging by the game against the colts I do not want fassell anywhere near the Jets. He is just another players coach, imo.

And you can't deny that if he puts together a good season with Bledsoe he is a bonafied candidate.

That's fine - but wasn't it Payton's playcalling that led the giants to the super bowl?

Like I said, paytons offense had some spurts here and there, but the overall body of work didnt impress me.

Fassell? Gee whiz keep that guy away from the Jets. That would be a brutal choice.

I agree that the HC market is pretty thin at this point, i was just pointing out some candidates Id be willing to give a shot to. I am certainly not sayin Gregg Williams or Kirk Ferentz are the saviors.

Sean Payton is a real wild card, IMO. When he was calling plays for the Giants he was wildly inconsistent and had alot of trouble adjusting when the opposing DC figured him out. That's why Fassel had to step in, because Payton was overwhelmed against the better coaches. We already have that in Herm. IMO, if you want Sean Payton I would wait and see what happens to the Cowboys during the second half of the year when they start to see opponents the second time around. Will Payton have adjusted? Has he learned anything since his Giants days?

As for Fassel, you cannot discount the fact that he took a team that was not exactly ripe with talent in the Giants and brought them to the Super Bowl. That was no small feat with Kerry Collins, Tiki Barber, and Ike Hilliard as your "stars."

Fassel was undone by the horrible drafting and salary cap management of Ernie Accorsi more than anything else. Look at his draft record. It's atrocious. Then he gives huge dollars to Jason Sehorn and Kenny Holmes. Fassel's decline began soon after when he had to plug in 3rd stringers to patch holes left by injuries and FA defections. Yes, he rubbed people and players the wrong way at times with the Giants, but when you consider that Tom Coughlin, in his second year, is still flushing the many cancerous lesions out of that locker room, you start to realize what Fassel was up against.

fassels team quit on him shane. they quit playin for their head coach.

I doubt he dazzles anyone with his oc skills at baltimore either.

If I'm right, and the players have finally tuned out Herm and realized that he's nothing more than a figurehead, then the Jets have already quit, if Kansas City is any indication.

If I'm right, and the players have finally tuned out Herm and realized that he's nothing more than a figurehead, then the Jets have already quit, if Kansas City is any indication.

ummm, i'm not willing to concede the fact that players have quit on head coach quite yet.

serious question.......do you honestly believe you're right & week 1 is indicative of how our season is gonna go?

ummm, i'm not willing to concede the fact that players have quit on head coach quite yet.

serious question.......do you honestly believe you're right & week 1 is indicative of how our season is gonna go?

8-8, actually. Bro, it happens to ALL coaches--great ones, sh*tty ones, average ones. Players just stop listening. That's why taskmasters like Parcells and Larry Brown hop around so much. Eventually, players stop listening, especially when they don't get to the big prize, the Super Bowl. Herm is in Year Five. Go back and look at how many coaches last 5+ years with a team without winning the big game, much less not even getting there. Jeff Fisher and Cowher at least had their teams IN a Super Bowl, and both work for cheap franchises that don't pay big bucks for coaches anyway. What we may be witnessing with Herm is an end to all of his hoodoo guru mysticism bullsh*t.

Sean Payton is a real wild card, IMO. When he was calling plays for the Giants he was wildly inconsistent and had alot of trouble adjusting when the opposing DC figured him out. That's why Fassel had to step in, because Payton was overwhelmed against the better coaches. We already have that in Herm. IMO, if you want Sean Payton I would wait and see what happens to the Cowboys during the second half of the year when they start to see opponents the second time around. Will Payton have adjusted? Has he learned anything since his Giants days?

As for Fassel, you cannot discount the fact that he took a team that was not exactly ripe with talent in the Giants and brought them to the Super Bowl. That was no small feat with Kerry Collins, Tiki Barber, and Ike Hilliard as your "stars."

Fassel was undone by the horrible drafting and salary cap management of Ernie Accorsi more than anything else. Look at his draft record. It's atrocious. Then he gives huge dollars to Jason Sehorn and Kenny Holmes. Fassel's decline began soon after when he had to plug in 3rd stringers to patch holes left by injuries and FA defections. Yes, he rubbed people and players the wrong way at times with the Giants, but when you consider that Tom Coughlin, in his second year, is still flushing the many cancerous lesions out of that locker room, you start to realize what Fassel was up against.

TS, I respect your opinion on Fassell, but I just disagree. Ill tell you why

The super bowl run really didnt impress me. The NFC was really, really bad that year. Who was the Giants' main competition? The Eagles? Their O was horrendous that year, then you had the vikings who were just a brutal out door team and the choker denny green was their coach... When the Giants finally played a real team in the super bowl they got served cold. That Super Bowl was U-G-L-Y-. It just showed you how mediocre that Giant team was. Then they further proved how average they were the next season when they no longer had a cup cake schedule and they didnt even make the playoffs.

This is why i do not like Fassell:

- The Giants always lost brutal games every year under fassell. At least 2 a year.. I mean games they just gift wrapped and gave away. Remember the 97 vikings playoff game? The 2002 home loss to the Titans? The 2002 playoff debacle to the 9ers. The 2003 give away day against the Eagles at the meadowlands? Really ugly losses. That is something we are going through with Herm too, I just dont want to bring in an HC with a history of that.

- Fassell's teams were always very undisciplined. I BEEN to his training camps up in albany, they were a JOKE. You have guys jogging onto the practice field late while the team is stretching. Guys sitting on water coolers while their unit were doing drills. Other guys joking around while the team is practicing. And these players were not even being reprimanded by anyone. it was a real discouraging sight. Trust me.

- His special teams was a circus every year

- Fassell's teams always followed up a good year with a bad year. Playoffs in 97 then theys tunk the next two years. Super Bowl in 2000, stunk in 2001. Playoffs in 2002, stunk in 2003. He never maintained any consistency.

- Lastly, the guy is an arrogant tool. I hate incompetence, but i hate arrogance even more, especially when you have won absolutely nothing.

Ill give Fassell is due, he is a fine offensive mind, but if the Jets want to go that route I rather just hand the gig to Dinger.

JMHO of course.

fair enough shane, I cannot argue with your logic. if we end up 8-8 I might even buy into it

in the meantime I'm gonna remain more optimistic & see a minimum 10 wins in reg season.

note to self..don't invite shane to parties...he will only depress the other guests with his dismal outlook

That's fine - but wasn't it Payton's playcalling that led the giants to the super bowl? And judging by the game against the colts I do not want fassell anywhere near the Jets. He is just another players coach, imo.

Not saying Payton may not be a good HC. But in the year the Jints went to the Super Bowl, Fassel demoted Payton and called the plays himself, like Parcells did to Weis here.

Bro, it happens to ALL coaches-they stop listening.

Tom Shane hits it on the screws. DOnt't care who it is in pro sports.At some point, players have heard all of your tricks and all of your speeches too often. And the comfort level leads to rote and laziness by both the coach and the players. It's just a fact. And after 5 years, it's as true of Edwards as it is anyone else.

If Herm does get fired (though I don't see it happening), the guy I would hope you *don't* get is Brad Childress. He was actually first on my list ahead of Saban (who was second). Whatever team hires him is going to get a heck of a coach ready to turn around whatever franchise it is.

Archived