Who will be first NFL head coach to get the axe?

faba

Tice and Shanahan are definates IMO. Holmgren is gone if SEA doesn't make the playoffs, and I can also see Sherman getting canned in GB as well. If GB doesn't make the playoffs, the only thing tht would save Sherman's rear end is Favre threatening retirement if they bring in a new regime.

Please Lord, let it be Herman Edwards. Please, please Lord. Please.

Unless Hermy goes 4-12 (which is more in the realm then the Jets going 12-4), he is safe.

Actually, I'd be pissed if the Jets ever canned Hermy.

Can't hate an automatic two wins each season against a division rival. :wink:

Unless Hermy goes 4-12 (which is more in the realm then the Jets going 12-4), he is safe.

Actually, I'd be pissed if the Jets ever canned Hermy.

Can't hate an automatic two wins each season against a division rival. :wink:

Do we even count as a "rival" anymore? Every time Belichick compliments Herm in the paper you just have to laugh. He likes that Herm is coaching the Jets the same way he liked that Freddy Mitchell was lining up at receiver for the Eagles in the Super Bowl.

The only coach I see getting fired in the middle of the season is Mike Sherman. I believe the Packers brought in Jim Bates precisely to have that option should the team underwhelm. It certainly looks like they're going to underwhelm, too.

pretty insightful posting on all threads, jimmy. hope you stick around this site after sunday.

how do you see bates faring as a head coach? he seemed to do a good job taking the baton after wanny left

pretty insightful posting on all threads, jimmy. hope you stick around this site after sunday.

how do you see bates faring as a head coach? he seemed to do a good job taking the baton after wanny left

I'm not sure Bates will ever get the shot on a permanent basis. If he does get a chance as an interim coach this season and impresses, Green Bay might give him a shot. In any other case, I think the CW will be that he is just too old and doesn't have the appeal that other candidates do. Eventually, I think he might end up going the college route.

I was going to say Haslett from New Orleans before the season started but now they are the feel good team and had a surprising win to open the season

Any others want to venture opinions

The Saints are the feel good team, however, it will not be enough for Haslett to keep his job.

Tice is my other choice.

Archived