Coles has some major guts

RichardSeymour

To come out with something like this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/18/sports/football/18coles.html?hp&ex=1127016000&en=e578da2a9ca215a6&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Coles, 27, is immensely popular with his Jets teammates, and intensely private. There is a reason, he said, he has stiff-armed the world at large, an explanation unknown to even his closest friends.

From the ages of 10 to 13, Coles was molested by a man his mother later married.

"Some kids do look up to us," he said. "Maybe if I say something, they'll feel strong enough to say, 'I can say something now because it's happened to him.' Even if it's one kid who I can touch, who my story gives him the strength to come out and say something, I feel like it's worth it."

I bet you can count on one hand the number of athletes in all four sports who have spoken publicly about anything like this.

Nothing but respect for him. Can't have anything less.

Related to the subject, and since RS asked, if anyone remembers Sheldon Kennedy? He was a former Red Wing and Calgary Flame who was molested by his junior coach, who I think was Graham James, though I might be wrong on the name.

http://www.silent-edge.org/kennedy.html

For these guys to come out and tell people their story... remarkable guts.

How long before this becomes something Patsfantx mocks him for?

Smizz, do you have a short memory? :shock:

Two years ago I said that was one of Bradway's biggest blunders letting Coles go to Washington.

I've always been a big fan of Coles. He is tough as nails and always comes to play.

Last week was an aberration. You won't see him perform like that again this year.

I've always liked Coles as a football player and sensed there was something admirable about him. despite his contract crap and the immature way he dealt with his exit to Washington, I still sensed he wasn't just a typical "the world revolves around me" guy.

now I know why. I think this takes real guts and explains a lot. I think we've seen a tremendous transformation in LC -- one that you don't often see among our athletic role models.

I've always liked Coles as a football player and sensed there was something admirable about him. despite his contract crap and the immature way he dealt with his exit to Washington, I still sensed he wasn't just a typical "the world revolves around me" guy.

now I know why. I think this takes real guts and explains a lot. I think we've seen a tremendous transformation in LC -- one that you don't often see among our athletic role models.

He always had a chip. Obviously the deal he got in college cost him money and pissed him off.

But obviously there is more to it than that! God Bless him for talking about it. He is a better man then I am!

from espn.com:

New York Jets wide receiver Laveranues Coles is a survivor of sexual abuse.

In a profile in Sunday editions of The New York Times, Coles said he was molested between the ages of 10 and 13 by a man his mother later married.

The Pro Bowl wide receiver thought he was alone in his inner struggles, and too proud to let any outsiders into his personal prison. But Coles recently decided to free himself of his secret in the hopes it might help other children who have endured abuse.

"I haven't talked about it in ... forever, but I know that holding something like that inside has been a burden for so long," Coles said Sunday after helping the Jets beat Miami 17-7. "For me to get on this platform that I have, having been in the league and have all the media attention that we have, I think it's something that should be said.

"If it gets one kid to come out and say, 'Look, this is happening to me,' ... I think it's right."

Coles remained silent about the abuse for years, instead using it to drive him to become one of the NFL's best receivers. He said even close friends on the Jets were unaware that he had been abused.

According to the Times, Coles' stepfather, whose name the receiver didn't want to reveal, was sentenced to nine years in a Florida prison in 1992 after pleading guilty to the crimes. He served 3

That is admirable of LC to tell his story. All kids need to know its ok to tell of molestation, child abouse or sexual abuse. They are not wrong but its the sick people who perform these acts. I also personally saw him give tons of money to an auction in LI last monday at a restaurant that was raising money for the Hurricane Katrina effort. His actions far out weigh what some people think of him. Glad he came forward.

Archived