Big Papi used roids

GM

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I quote Martin Scorcese in the movie Quiz Show: "Queens is not New York."

Brooklyn is loaded with phags and so is Manhattan. The Bronx will kick all the other boroughs asses.

I have to agree there, freaking hipsters....

?

Aren't anabolic steroids illegal? He used them in 2003, but he stopped using the illegal substance because MLB said "Don't do that!"? They've been "banned" since the 90's. MLB just didn't test.

im not saying Papi didnt cheat. Im not saying no other red sox players cheated. I fully believe there are about 6-7 other Sox who cheated.

Im only attacking the notion that because someone failed a test in 2003 and then werent named in the Mitchell report automatically means the Mitchell Report was biased.

no... im trying to understand why people think because a guy was on a list in 2003, and not included in the Mitchell report automatically means the report was biased.

Most of the names in the report came from connections to Mcnamee and Radomski.

Well the Mitchell report, named for it's author George Mitchell, a Red Sox season ticket holder and former member of the Red Sox Board of Directors, went out of it's way to publicly out numerous Yankees players based primarily on the testimony of a convicted felon in Ramdomski and an individual who can best be described as "shady" in Brian McNamee, while only naming one former Red Sox player in Mo Vaughn and going out of its way to show that Vaughn used steroids after he was finished playing with the Red Sox.

Consider also that the Mitchell report was published long after the 2003 tests were conducted and that Ramirez and Ortiz, the two most significant hitters on both of the Red Sox championship teams, were known to have tested positive by baseball brass.

But no, you're right. The Mitchell Report wasn't biased in the least. :rolleyes:

I wonder if those dooshey Redsox fans will chant "You do steroids" when Big Pop-Up comes to the plate like they did for A-Rod.

Ortiz is a ****ing hypocrite. He was the same one who called for a 1 yr ban for A-Rod & everyone else who tested + for PED's.

But anyone with a oz of baseball knowledge knew that Ortiz was on roids.

I wonder if those dooshey Redsox fans will chant "You do steroids" when Big Pop-Up comes to the plate like they did for A-Rod.

Ortiz is a ****ing hypocrite. He was the same one who called for a 1 yr ban for A-Rod & everyone else who tested + for PED's.

None of these morons will ever learn.

Well the Mitchell report, named for it's author George Mitchell, a Red Sox season ticket holder and former member of the Red Sox Board of Directors, went out of it's way to publicly out numerous Yankees players based primarily on the testimony of a convicted felon in Ramdomski and an individual who can best be described as "shady" in Brian McNamee, while only naming one former Red Sox player in Mo Vaughn and going out of its way to show that Vaughn used steroids after he was finished playing with the Red Sox.

Consider also that the Mitchell report was published long after the 2003 tests were conducted and that Ramirez and Ortiz, the two most significant hitters on both of the Red Sox championship teams, were known to have tested positive by baseball brass.

But no, you're right. The Mitchell Report wasn't biased in the least. :rolleyes:

Radomski was the only one to name names since he was forced to. Nobody else was. You really believe that Mitchell intentionally withheld Red Sox players names? Just because he had a connection to the Sox does not automatically mean he would go out of their way to protect the team.

And the Mitchell report came out after, yet no names from 2003 were released in the report... because they couldnt.

Only thing here that is biased is Yankee fans. Bitter yankee fans. Instead of worrying about why their players used, they instead look to defame the report that named their players and didnt name their rivals. Pathetic.

I think the Yankee fans will serenade Papi with a similar chant in a few weeks.

im sure the dooshie yankee fans will take care of that next time they are in NY.

Ortiz is a hypocrite and should take his own advice and take the next year off since he's a stain on the game like every other cheater.

im sure the dooshie yankee fans will take care of that next time they are in NY.

Ortiz is a hypocrite and should take his own advice and take the next year off since he's a stain on the game like every other cheater.

Damn ****ing right we will. Im on Stub hub right now about to blow a load on overpriced Yankee tix. I just hope Big Pop-Up plays when I go. I'll start the Goddamn chant myself.

If the media can drag A-Rod through the mud then dammit they better drag this **** through the mud as well.

The Harpoon Brewery is owned by the biggest Yankees fan in Boston.

I had only had the IPA (which is just OK IMO) before going to the brewery and must say that outside of the Leviathan series, I was quite disappointed. Your post has helped explain why. Thank you.

I had only had the IPA (which is just OK IMO) before going to the brewery and must say that outside of the Leviathan series, I was quite disappointed. Your post has helped explain why. Thank you.

For a relatively larger scale brewery with tight quality control, I'd say that the Harpoon IPA is pretty good.

Big Papi revealed as a myth

Posted by Tony Massarotti, Globe Staff July 30, 2009 03:36 PM

"You've often heard me say that we're in the Golden Era of baseball. David Ortiz -- Big Papi -- symbolizes that Golden Era. He's been such a great player on a grand stage, but it's his personality along with his ability that has made him an important part of this sport. I have enormous respect for David Ortiz. He's conducted himself so beautifully off the field as well as on the field. I'm very proud of David Ortiz for a myriad of reasons. It's everything about him. When you say `David Ortiz,' the first thing I think is 'Big Papi,' and that's a great compliment to him. He stands as a great symbol of the success of this sport -- and a symbol for all the right reasons.''

-- A comment made by baseball commissioner Bud Selig during the winter of 2005-06 that appears in David Ortiz's autobiography

And so now we know, with 99.9 percent certainty, what we have long suspected and feared: Big Papi is a myth. The rags-to-riches story is truly a fairy tale. David Ortiz is a symbol of baseball now just as he was then, though this time he is playing the role of yet another damaged superstar who succumbed to the pressures during the most tainted era in baseball history.

So what are we supposed to think now, fellow Sox followers? According to a report today in the New York Times -- it ain't exactly The Star -- Ortiz and Manny Ramirez both were on the list of 104 players who failed tests for performance-enhancing drugs during the survey conducted in 2003. That was the year the Red Sox set a major league record for slugging percentage. That was the year Big Papi was born. That was the year Ortiz came to Boston after being released by the Minnesota Twins as a 27-year-old underachieving slugger with 58 career home runs in 455 career games.

Three years later, in 2006, Ortiz hit 54 home runs in 151 games to set a new Red Sox record. By then, he already had become the Most Valuable Player of the 2004 American League Championship Series and the recipient of a four-year, $52 million contract extension that runs through next season. When the free-agent market exploded the winter after Ortiz signed his deal, Red Sox owners felt so guilty about the contract that they presented Ortiz with a new pickup truck the following spring.

As it turns out, we now have nothing but questions. Maybe Ortiz should give the truck back. Maybe the Red Sox were right to sit him behind fellow user Jeremy Giambi after all. Maybe the Twins released him for very good reasons and maybe the 2004 World Series trophy is nothing but a hologram, generated by science and appealing to the eye but quite literally impossible to touch.

Asked before today's game by the Times about the failed test, Ortiz declined comment. Red Sox diehards are certain to know that this is precisely what Alex Rodriguez did during spring training when news leaked that he, too, was on the same list. Within days, Rodriguez conducted his unforgettable press conference at the Yankees' spring training facility and Ortiz similarly held a press briefing in Fort Myers. Rodriguez claimed to be a foolish young man operating during "amateur hour." Ortiz suggested that any player who tested positive for steroids should be suspended for an entire year.

In retrospect, doth he protest too much?

Sooner or later, we all knew this was coming, if not Ortiz then with someone else. Earlier this year, when Ramirez served a 50-game suspension for violating baseball's current substance-abuse policy, the most loyal Red Sox followers dug in their heels. There was no evidence to suggest Ramirez used PEDs in while in Boston. In a promotional ad that routinely runs on WEEI-AM 850, Red Sox chairman Tom Werner said even Red Sox officials believed that Ramirez did not start using performance-enhancing substances until he got to Los Angeles and played the final two months of last season auditioning for a new contract.

But this? This leaves no doubt that the Red Sox had users during the most critical years of their recent history. After Ortiz became the MVP of the 2004 ALCS, Ramirez was named MVP of the World Series. From June 1, 2003 through July 31, 2008 -- the time Ortiz effectively became a starter to the time Ramirez was traded -- the Red Sox scored more runs (4,723) than any team in baseball but the New York Yankees (4,766). The Sox won more world titles (two) than any team in the game. The Red Sox had the most fearsome 1-2 punch in baseball, the Ruth and Gehrig of the modern era, a two-headed monster around which Bill Mueller became a batting champion and Johnny Damon became a cult figure.

Again, in retrospect, we now know that Ortiz and Ramirez seem have a great deal more in common with Big Mac and Slammin' Sammy than they do with the Bambino and the Iron Horse.

With regard to Ortiz, in particular, today's news is disappointing, damning, downright sad. More than Ramirez or Rodney Harrison -- local sports stars similarly tarnished by the use of performance-enhancing substances -- Ortiz was embraced by this region like few stars in New England sports history. He wasn't just a prolific slugger, he was a good guy, too. With regard to the latter, maybe he still is. But what Ortiz is, without question, is forever damaged by his own vulnerability and frailty, his inability to distinguish right from wrong, his careless decision-making, his suddenly empty rhetoric for harsher penalties against those using performance-enhancing substances.

Today, Ortiz is no better than Ramirez or Rodriguez or Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens or Rafael Palmeiro, McGwire, Sosa, or Jason Giambi.

With them, Big Papi stands as a symbol for everything that went so terribly wrong.

Damn ****ing right we will. Im on Stub hub right now about to blow a load on overpriced Yankee tix. I just hope Big Pop-Up plays when I go. I'll start the Goddamn chant myself.

If the media can drag A-Rod through the mud then dammit they better drag this **** through the mud as well.

ARod is hated. Big Popout is beloved. Only thing that will hang him is his ridiculous statement from spring training.

They gave Ortiz a standing ovation in his first at bat today. And fyi- the NESN announcers didn't say a peep about the story once when he came to bat.

why would they... they are homers. Orsillo is a kiss ass and the other guy is a fill in.

But they sure were excited when Big Popout hit a 3 run HR to take the lead.

For a relatively larger scale brewery with tight quality control, I'd say that the Harpoon IPA is pretty good.

I didn't say it was bad... there are just many others that I prefer in that style - Dogfish Head, Smuttynose, Sierra Nevada (Celebration Ale), Stone, Rogue, etc.

They gave Ortiz a standing ovation in his first at bat today. And fyi- the NESN announcers didn't say a peep about the story once when he came to bat.

NESN is like YES. Owned and operated by the Red Sox - they will never discuss a negative subject concerning the Sox unless Lucchino gives it the red light. Example: Dice-k is a jerk for questioning the Sox training style.

Archived