Jets News 8/21/09

SoFlaJets

August 21, 2009

Playmaker potential?

Well if last week did anything, it showed that Mark Sanchez has that play making ability. He connected on his first pass deep to David Clowney and went for 88 yards on three of four passing. He will get the start this week versus the Ravens.

It should be an interesting match up as he will likely see a more toned down defense from the Ravens than if it were a regular season match up. In the last few practices, he has struggled and will need to step it up in time for Monday. We need to see him develop a chemistry with Dustin Keller this week. That is a perfect option for our rookie quarterback. We already know that Jerricho Cotchery will make plays no matter what. He is a gamer. Now is the time for Sanchez to step up and show that he can sustain the drives.

We have a potent running attack tandem with another rookie x-factor to boot. This makes for a reliable and consistent enough rushing game to relieve some pressure off of Sanchez' shoulders. Now he needs to start to demonstrate that consistently. Being given the start this week is the first step in him being given the opportunity to do that.

Jets rookie QB Mark Sanchez impressive in red zone drills

CORTLAND, N.Y. - Days before making his first preseason start, Mark Sanchez looked like he was getting more comfortable.

The Jets' rookie quarterback was having a decent practice Thursday until he finished strong by throwing two touchdowns to wide receiver Brad Smith during red zone 11-on-11 drills. Simulating fourth-and-goal situations with one play to win the game, Sanchez found Smith on a fourth-and-5 in the left corner of the end zone after having more time to move around the pocket than he likely would see in a game. Then, on a fourth-and-15, Sanchez hit Smith again for a score.

Sanchez completed 7-of-14 passes overall, including a nice 35-yarder to WR Jerricho Cotchery on the left sideline.

"Sanchez made two great throws for touchdowns," said coach Rex Ryan, who will start the rookie Monday at Baltimore. "The last play of the game, you've got to have it, win or lose. He had to scramble on both of them. Found an open guy, showed good vision downfield and then threaded the needle. That was impressive, too."

For Kellen Clemens, it was the opposite kind of day. He completed his first four passes but then threw two straight interceptions. The first was picked off by CB Rashad Barksdale, who made his second interception in as many days. Then during the fourth-down red zone drill, Clemens was intercepted by CB Drew Coleman on a fourth-and-five. On Clemens' other fourth-and-long attempt, his pass sailed high out of the end zone. He finished 4-for-7 with two picks while running the second team.

OUCH: DT Sione Pouha rolled his ankle during a 9-on-7 drill, but Ryan expects him to be fine. ... OL Alan Faneca (hand) and OL Damien Woody (concussion) want to play but likely will sit out against the Ravens. CB Darrelle Revis, who practiced briefly, is also likely out with a hamstring injury. DL Kris Jenkins (calf) didn't practice. RB Jehuu Caulcrick (knee) says he will play Monday....The Jets waived G Dennis Conley. ... Friday's practice at Florham Park will be open to fans, starting with special teams practice at 10:30 a.m

JETS DEFENSIVE AIDE IN SPOTLIGHT ... FINALLY

CORTLAND -- This is a story about shadows.

Rex Ryan casts a large shadow -- literally and figuratively.

The Jets' rookie head coach is a large man with a stacked NFL resume and a lot of bold things to say.

It was Ryan's defenses that suffocated opposing NFL offenses for several years in Baltimore as the Ravens' defensive coordinator and, as a rookie head coach, it's Ryan's defense that's likely to be the Jets' calling card.

That leaves Mike Pettine, the Jets' somewhat faceless defensive coordinator, working in Ryan's shadow.

That's just fine with Pettine, because he's well accustomed to working in the shadows.

The 42-year-old has spent his life living in the shadow of his father, also named Mike Pettine, one of the most successful high-school football coaches in Pennsylvania history, having won 326 games and multiple state titles in 33 years at Central Bucks West in Doylestown.

Why should his life be any different now?

"We're in the win business," Pettine said during a sit-down interview with The Post this week. "I'm not in this for credit. It's not about me. I just want a ring."

The coaching world is littered with assistant coaches looking for the next job to upgrade their careers.

Pettine is not one of those coaches.

"My whole feeling has always been this: Don't look for a better job, do a better job," Pettine said. "If you're doing a good job, you'll be discovered."

Funny thing about Pettine's life journey, though, is that he had no plan to follow in his father's footsteps, get into coaching and be discovered.

Though he played quarterback for his dad and college ball as a safety at University of Virginia, Pettine reached a point where he wanted no more of the game.

"When I was done at Virginia with no aspirations of playing professionally, I was just kind of done with football, burned out with it," Pettine said.

So Pettine took a job right out of college in 1989 as an underwriter at Prudential, and that turned out to be eye-opening.

"I was in a cubicle, in that corporate world, and was just so not ready for that," he said. "That's when it dawned on me that I was missing football."

He left the cubicle -- ran faster than he probably ever ran as a player -- and helped his dad with some scouting and coaching. That gave him "a taste" for coaching, but it wasn't going to pay the bills.

After a stint building boats in North Carolina, Pettine returned to Pennsylvania and coached with his father from 1990-92, then took a graduate assistant job at the University of Pittsburgh, where he met Matt Cavanaugh, later an assistant with the Ravens and now the Jets QBs coach.

From there, Pettine took his first head-coaching job, at William Tennent, a high school down the road from Doylestown that had won three games in the previous three years.

He won five games the first year and nine the second before getting hired as the head coach at North Penn High School -- a rival of his father's team.

That shadow Pettine lived in never loomed larger.

"I was 0-5 against my dad in three-year span," Pettine recalled. "That was not fun."

Pettine needed to emerge from his father's shadow. That finally came after the 2001 season, when he called his old friend Cavanaugh at the Ravens.

After Cavanaugh helped him get a low-level job in the team's video department, Pettine cashed in his 401K so he could feed his family, and they moved to Baltimore.

That's when Pettine's bond began with Ryan, a fellow son of a legendary father/coach.

"This is a guy that I knew was a special coach. It was obvious," Ryan said.

Ryan's opinion of Pettine -- eventually, outside linebackers coach in Baltimore -- was so high that he made an arrangement with the Ravens: If Ryan ever were hired as a head coach, he would take Pettine with him.

And here they are together.

"There will be a time and a day for Pettine to step out and do things his own way, but right now is the time to embrace this opportunity to take the next step," said Jets LB Bart Scott, who played for Pettine in Baltimore.

"In a couple of years, he'll make a name for himself and he'll be able to step out and one day hopefully be a head coach in this league. This is his time."

Time to step out of yet another shadow

NY Jets head coach Rex Ryan still intending to call the defenses during games

NOTEBOOK

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Jets coach Rex Ryan has put his reputation on the line with his many bold statements since being hired, and if he goes down in flames, he's going to do it his way.

Thus, Ryan Thursday repeated his intention to call the defenses during games this season. He'll work in concert with his trusted defensive coordinator, Mike Pettine.

Ryan says the administrative part of being a head coach isn't exactly his strong point. He's an old-school football coach.

''I'm kind of looking forward to that a little bit, getting away from training camp and focusing more on the defense,'' said Ryan, whose team broke camp late Thursday night and will report for a morning breakfast Friday before heading home. ''I'm kind of a head coach/coordinator.

''I even asked (Rams coach Steve) Spagnuolo if he was calling the defenses, and he said 'no' because there are so many administrative things. I have a tough time doing that. You work all your life to get to this shot.

''One of the reasons you get here is because you're probably pretty decent at what you do and to just turn it completely over and then if it doesn't go right, you have somebody else to blame instead of just putting it on yourself. If our defense doesn't do well, then that's going to be a reflection on me.''

Ryan said he hasn't called one defense in training camp and only called a quarter in the preseason game against the Rams. Clearly, that's his passion, but as head coach, the buck stops with him on everything: offense, defense and special teams.

Even so, offense coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff will almost have complete autonomy.

''Of course, if our team doesn't do well, it's a reflection on me as well, but I can handle it,'' he said. ''I think we'll be successful in all aspects of our team, not just based on me but on the players we have and the coaches we have. It's hard for me to imagine us not being successful.'' …

CB Darrelle Revis (hamstring) snuck into an 11-on-11 drill in the full-pads morning workout and Ryan quickly snatched him out of it. He has been out for nearly a week and a half and will sit out the Ravens game as well.

''Those (the injured players) want to come back,'' Ryan said. ''It's not like they're trying to get out of anything. They're ready to play. We've just got to be smart. We can't have a foolish setback.''

To that end, DT Kris Jenkins (calf), G Alan Faneca (finger), RT Damien Woody (mild concussion) and CB Donald Strickland (foot) won't play vs. the Ravens. The status of FB Jehuu Caulcrick (knee) is uncertain.

DT Sione Pouha (ankle) joined the injured ranks Thursday morning and he's also not expected to play against Baltimore.

Ex-Giants CB Rashad Barksdale has had two interceptions in the past two days. Cornerback, however, is one of the Jets' deepest positions.

…

LB Jamaal Westerman, a Rutgers product, continues to draw praise from Ryan, who lauded his pass-rushing ability and how it could be valuable with the sack leaders from last season, DE Shaun Ellis (eight sacks) and LB Calvin Pace (seven), suspended to start the season, Ellis for one game, Pace for four.

LB Josh Mauga (Nevada), who was recently signed, has caught the eye of Ryan.

The Jets Thursday waived rookie free agent G Dennis Conley.

The Jets held their ''King Ugly'' contest, ''Rookie Skit'' and played a game of Jeopardy Thursday night to celebrate the end of training camp.

Stakes are high for NY Jets' Kellen Clemens as quarterback competition continues against Baltimore Ravens

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- The last time Jets quarterback Kellen Clemens was in Baltimore, he had perhaps his finest hour as a pro.

Making his first start as a pro in place of an injured Chad Pennington in Week 2 in 2007, Clemens stood up to then-Baltimore defensive coordinator Rex Ryan's jailbreak pass rush and engineered a stunning, fourth-quarter rally. He came within a dropped Justin McCareins touchdown pass in the final two minutes of tying the game.

The Jets lost, 20-13, to the heavily favored Ravens.

''I have fond memories of Baltimore,'' said Clemens Thursday following the morning session at SUNY Cortland. ''Unfortunately, we were on the wrong end of the game. I've been there and played and it was an even bigger scene than it'll be on Monday night. There's a comfort level going in.''

Although it's only a preseason game, the stakes have never been higher for Clemens than they'll be for Monday night's game in Baltimore.

If Clemens duplicates his performance of two seasons ago there, he could wrest the starting job from favored rookie Mark Sanchez. If not, Sanchez will likely win the job unless he completely implodes against the Ravens.

Ryan has said he wants to make a decision before the third preseason game against the Giants (Aug. 29). If Sanchez plays well on Monday night, Ryan may name him the starter immediately. If not, Ryan, in an attempt to give Sanchez every opportunity to win the job, may hold off.

''If (Ryan) is looking to make a decision, then we're coming down (to the time),'' Clemens said. ''We have a few practices possibly and the one game left (before facing the Giants). I don't think that the coach's decision is going to come out of the one game. We put a lot of practices in through training camp so far.''

Clemens, however, had another rough outing Thursday morning. He hit four of seven passes with two interceptions (one in the red zone) in 11-on-11 full-pad drills and now has 12 picks in training camp so far. He made a slight move early in the week as Sanchez struggled, but he quite simply has been unable to seize the moment.

Sanchez, who has received glowing reviews from Ryan throughout camp, connected on seven of 14 passes with two red-zone touchdowns to wide receiver Brad Smith Thursday morning. He has thrown just five interceptions.

Both Sanchez touchdown passes came in last-play-of-the-game situations, Ryan said. Both were thrown as Sanchez scrambled to get out of trouble. While participating in the same drill, Clemens threw an interception.

''Last play of the game, Sanchez made two great throws for touchdowns,'' said Ryan. ''You've got to win or lose. That was impressive.''

After a shaky start to the week, Sanchez has been sharp the past two days. Ryan continues to be amazed at the rookie's command of the offense, his decision-making and of course, his arm.

In his past three practices, Sanchez has connected on 14 of 26 passes with two touchdowns and one interception with three ''sacks'' in full-team drills.

''Earlier in the week, there were some tough periods there,'' Sanchez said. ''After those tough plays, I went back and assessed where I went wrong, got on the same page as the wideouts, and then really began starting to peak heading into this game. That's the way I wanted to end camp -- finish strong -- and that's where things are going.''

Sanchez, drafted fifth overall, said it's only fair that he has had to earn the job.

''I thought that was the right thing for the organization to do,'' he said. ''That's what I've done, just compete like crazy to give (Ryan) a reason to put me on the field, and when I get my opportunities, try and make the most of it. (Clemens) is a great competitor, and we've had fun through this whole camp.''

REVIS A BIT TOO EAGER TO RETURN

CORTLAND -- As the Jets began 11-on-11 drills yesterday morning, cornerback Darrelle Revis was in the defensive backfield for the first time since tweaking his hamstring last week.

Only problem was, he wasn't supposed to be.

Revis, anxious to return to action, inserted himself without the coaches' knowledge. He lasted one series before the coaches told him to take his pads off and take it easy.

"He put himself in a couple of team snaps and he wasn't supposed to be in there," coach Rex Ryan said.

"That was him pronouncing himself ready to go. That's good that these players want to come back, but we can't have a foolish setback."

After practice, both Revis and Ryan declared Revis won't play in Monday night's preseason game against in Baltimore.

Revis was joined in being held out of team drills by nose tackle Kris Jenkins (calf), right tackle Damien Woody (concussion), left guard Alan Faneca (broken finger), cornerback Donald Strickland (toe) and fullback Jehuu Caulcrick (knee).

None of those players is likely to play Monday.

Center Nick Mangold, however, returned for the first time since hurting his left knee last week.

Bet on him playing Monday -- quarterback Mark Sanchez needs him.

It wasn't exactly a rout, but Sanchez clearly had a better practice yesterday than Kellen Clemens.

Sanchez finished 7-of-14 in 11-on-11 drills, but that was accentuated by two TD strikes to wide received Brad Smith in the red zone.

Clemens finished 4-of-7, but threw two INTs, one at the goal line in a red-zone drill. It was, in fairness, an end-game, fourth-down situation so Clemens had to throw it.

Jets rookie QB Mark Sanchez impressive in red zone drills

CORTLAND, N.Y. - Days before making his first preseason start, Mark Sanchez looked like he was getting more comfortable.

The Jets' rookie quarterback was having a decent practice Thursday until he finished strong by throwing two touchdowns to wide receiver Brad Smith during red zone 11-on-11 drills. Simulating fourth-and-goal situations with one play to win the game, Sanchez found Smith on a fourth-and-5 in the left corner of the end zone after having more time to move around the pocket than he likely would see in a game. Then, on a fourth-and-15, Sanchez hit Smith again for a score.

Sanchez completed 7-of-14 passes overall, including a nice 35-yarder to WR Jerricho Cotchery on the left sideline.

"Sanchez made two great throws for touchdowns," said coach Rex Ryan, who will start the rookie Monday at Baltimore. "The last play of the game, you've got to have it, win or lose. He had to scramble on both of them. Found an open guy, showed good vision downfield and then threaded the needle. That was impressive, too."

For Kellen Clemens, it was the opposite kind of day. He completed his first four passes but then threw two straight interceptions. The first was picked off by CB Rashad Barksdale, who made his second interception in as many days. Then during the fourth-down red zone drill, Clemens was intercepted by CB Drew Coleman on a fourth-and-five. On Clemens' other fourth-and-long attempt, his pass sailed high out of the end zone. He finished 4-for-7 with two picks while running the second team.

OUCH: DT Sione Pouha rolled his ankle during a 9-on-7 drill, but Ryan expects him to be fine. ... OL Alan Faneca (hand) and OL Damien Woody (concussion) want to play but likely will sit out against the Ravens. CB Darrelle Revis, who practiced briefly, is also likely out with a hamstring injury. DL Kris Jenkins (calf) didn't practice. RB Jehuu Caulcrick (knee) says he will play Monday....The Jets waived G Dennis Conley. ... Friday's practice at Florham Park will be open to fans, starting with special teams practice at 10:30 a.m.

Jets notes: Revis out Monday

Darrelle Revis, who tweaked his hamstring Aug. 8, is getting closer to getting back in the lineup, although he will miss his second straight preseason game when the Jets visit Baltimore on Monday.

But Revis has participated in some team drills the last two days, including Wednesday morning. He expects to play against the Giants on Aug. 29.

"He put himself in a couple of team snaps he wasn

NY Jets weekly mailbag forum: Is Brandon Marshall or Dwayne Bowe really coming to town?

Rex Ryan, Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard and Marques Douglas return to their old stomping grounds when the Jets face the Baltimore Ravens on Monday night.

In the second installment of our weekly mailbag feature, questions abound: Are the Jets really in the market for a big-time veteran wide receiver? Can Mark Sanchez can take another significant step to cementing the starting quarterback gig? Is Leon Washington really that much better than Danny Woodhead?

I've chosen a few queries from our blog and my twitter account. Keep the questions coming. Drop me a message on my twitter page or post a question in the comments section on this blog. Enjoy.

Jets diehard and card-carrying Twitterverse member @ThunderingBlurb kicks it off with the question of the week: "How serious do you take the Bowe/Marshall/we need a WR trade rumors?"

First things first. Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe isn't going anywhere. Sure, Bowe came to camp overweight and out of shape, which caused friction with rookie coach Todd Haley. But remember Haley also butted heads with Larry Fitzgerald in Arizona early on before the star WR got on board with Haley's no-nonsense style. (Haley, of course, is the same guy who got into a verbal spat with Anquan Boldin on the sidelines of the NFC Championship game.)

Haley's motivational tactics are obvious: Play Bowe with the backups to ignite a fire. Let's face it: Matt Cassel will need a lot more than Bobby Engram and Amani Toomer if the Chiefs have any chance this year. Bowe, a budding star, is Kansas City's best offensive weapon. You won't see him in a Jets uniform this season.

I wouldn't echo those exact sentiments for Marshall, but I don't believe he'll be a Jet in 2009. I don't doubt the Jets have made initial queries, but would Broncos rookie coach Josh McDaniels really trade his best offensive player ... again? The Broncos fanbase is already in an uproar over McDaniels' decision to get rid of franchise QB Jay Cutler. (There might be a full-blown mutiny if Kyle Orton repeats his 3-INT performance from last week's preseason opener.) Could they really stomach losing Marshall too? Not a chance.

No amount of McDaniels' head games -- what does he think he's accomplishing by running Marshall with the scout team this week? -- will change the fact that he needs Marshall. Now, would the organization be immune to trading him if an outrageous offer came along? No.

But what could the Jets realistically offer to entice the Broncos? Next year's first rounder and current players? Or multiple picks with players? The Broncos are in desperate need of defensive help (they have among the worst defensive fronts in the league). So, who could the Jets spare?

Besides, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has already shown that he's not interested in paying two first-round picks next year -- the team traded away one of their two first-rounders in 2010 to take a cornerback in the second round this year. (They still have next year's first rounder from the Bears as a part of the Cutler deal).

I think the Jets are keeping their eyes open for a veteran receiver for now. But if Brad Smith, David Clowney, et al perform well in the next couple weeks, I firmly believe Rex Ryan will be content with his group. Remember: The Jets offense will be anchored by the running game with a dash of Dustin Keller and Jerricho Cotchery.

ncjetfan on nj.com piggybacks the wide receiver theme with: "Have you seen anything from Aundrae Allison, the guy they recently picked up from Minnesota?"

I'll let Rex Ryan take this one: "The kid (Aundrae Allison) that we picked up from Minnesota, I always call him '88 and out the gate.' He can fly. I'm just waiting for them to throw him a ball over there. I'm like, 'You know he's open? 88 is open again.' So, I'm just waiting for our quarterbacks to realize that. We'll see what he can do. He's been impressive a little bit too."

Twitterverse member @konastitch wonders: "Are Jets experimenting w/ Leon out wide or in slot since they don't seem too happy with WR corps? Leon 50+ rec this year?"

Brian Schottenheimer and Rex Ryan have made little secret that they need to find more ways to get the ball in Leon Washington's hands. They gave us a sneak peek on the second play from scrimmage in the preseason opener when Washington started in the backfield, went in motion and lined up as an outside receiver. Now, the ball didn't go to Washington on that play, but you can bet that Schottenheimer will be thinking up creative packages to get Washington involved: handoffs, screen passes, passes from the slot and passes from the outside wideout spot.

The bottom line is that Washington's 123 touches (76 carries, 47 receptions) will drastically increase. What's the magic number? One report indicated a possible 300-touch season, which I think is much too high, but he'll definitely be used more than he was the past two seasons. Remember: The Jets are reportedly willing to offer Washington $10 million in guarantees as part of a reworked deal. They're not going to pay him that type of money and not use him to the fullest.

So, yes. I definitely see a 50+catch season for Washington.

A disgruntled JoshS62 disputes my claim that Leon Washington is "more talented" than Danny Woodhead: "I don't know how you can say Washington is clearly a better athlete than Woodhead. You gave your subjective opinion with no facts to back it up. ... How about letting the people decide who the better athlete is based on these facts? Better yet, why don't we let their performances in camp and otherwise tell us who the better athlete is?"

Fair enough. We'll go Fox News on this question: We report. You decide.

Washington: 2008: Pro Bowl kick returner, Led NFL in combined yards (2,332), 9 TDs, NFL-high 10 plays of 40+ yards, recorded 200+ all-purpose yards in three games ... 19 career touchdowns, 4.9 career yards per carry in three-year career

2009 Preseason stats: 2 carries for 9 yards, 1 catch for 1 yd (against Rams first-team defense)

Woodhead: No NFL regular season games played

2009 Preseason stats: 6 carries for 5 yards, 1 catch for no yards (against Rams' second- and third-string defenses)

Marty2634 doesn't dilly-dally and gets straight to the point: "Do you think Mark Sanchez will be named the Starting QB for the season opener?"

Unless Sanchez implodes Monday night (which is entirely possible against that ferocious Ravens defense), the job is his to lose now. Rex Ryan would love to see both Sanchez and Kellen Clemens operate behind a fully healthy first-string offensive line, but that's not going to happen with Pro Bowl LG Alan Faneca (finger) and likely RT Damien Woody (head) out.

While Ryan has backed off his initial timetable to have a starter in place before next weekend's third preseason game against the Giants, I'm guessing that Sanchez will be named the starter sometime next week if he plays well Monday night. Not sure what the exact numerical translation of "solid" is, but I'm sure the leaner Ryan will be doing backflips if Sanchez doesn't turn the ball over and engineers a scoring drive or two. That might be enough to deem it a success and move forward with the rookie.

Of course, if Clemens -- who has played well against the Ravens in the past -- lights it up, then that could push an official announcement on the starter back until after the Giants game.

Finally, Tweeter @JonathanGrella has a personal safety concern that needs to be addressed: "how risky will it be for me to wear a bart scott jersey inside ravens' stadium on monday night?"

Not as risky as giving your life savings to Bernie Madoff.

You should be fine.

Maybe.

Surprise day off and 'King Ugly'

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Rex Ryan surprised the players last night by telling them there would be no practice today.

The Jets were scheduled to conduct one final practice today before breaking camp, but Ryan opted to blow it off and let the players return home after a mandatory 7 a.m. breakfast.

He let the players know after their activity night last night, which included the anticipated "King Ugly'' contest, the annual rookie talent show and a game of jeopardy.

Safety James Ihedigbo was the winner of "King Ugly,'' quite a dubious honor. Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine was second and RB Leon Washington third. Ironically, the third-place winner gets 75-percent fo the money put in and the second-place winner gets 25-percent. As Ryan said the other day, the winner is so ugly he doesn't deserve any money.

Washington, of course, is involved in a contract battle with the Jets and is vastly underpaaid. So he now has some added funds to feed his family.

Anyone in the Jets organization could put up $1 per vote for the contest and there was no limit, so ballot stuffing was a definite.

The Jets reconvene tomorrow at their Florham Park, N.J. facility, where they will conduct a practice open to the public.

Year of tight ends: A dozen to watch in '09

A look at Dustin Keller, Kellen Winslow and 10 other tight ends whose teams are expecting big things this season

Tony Gonzalez is the best receiving tight end in NFL history, so he should know something about scouting out the likes of them. While the future Hall of Famer embarks on the second stage of his career, with his second team, the Atlanta Falcons, he also has an eye out for young, athletic stars at his position.

"I like the guy from the Jets, (Dustin) Keller," Gonzalez said. "I've always liked Kellen Winslow, though he might not be a young guy anymore."

Both Keller and Winslow figure to be busy as security blanket pass-catchers for teams in transition at quarterback, making them two players vital to their teams' offensive success.

Even though Gonzalez, starring in the prime of fantasy football, is known for his prolific reception, yardage and touchdown totals, he most appreciates well-rounded talents.

"With those guys, obviously, they are good receivers, but the important thing about the tight end position is you have to be able to block," Gonzalez said. "I think once their blocking comes around, then they will be a really complete tight end."

Titans' Jared Cook."That's where you get Jason Witten."

For the past few seasons, Witten and Antonio Gates have joined Gonzalez as the Holy Trinity at tight end. Last season, they had to make room for Dallas Clark, Chris Cooley and Owen Daniels.

Considering the position's versatility and its importance to both facets of the offense, every coach would love to have a mainstay there. Here is a look at Keller, Winslow and 10 other tight ends whose teams are expecting big things this season:

Kevin Boss, Giants. New York's running game is so good that when Eli Manning passes, he can get by without flashy, big-name receivers. Boss is the ideal, hardnosed pass-catcher to move the chains and work the red zone.

John Carlson, Seahawks. He made quite a splash as a rookie, leading the team in catches, receiving yardage and receiving touchdowns while its wide receiver corps was depleted by injuries. He will feel less pressure with T.J. Houshmandzadeh also running intermediate routes and might be utilized more as a blocker to support an ailing offensive line.

Brent Celek, Eagles. Andy Reid and Marty Mornhinweg need a solid tight end for their brand of passing game. The team didn't re-sign L.J. Smith, so it needs Celek to be a consistent threat. He flashed what he could last November, with a 131-yard game against Seattle.

Jared Cook, Titans. Tennessee is well stocked at tight end, with veterans Alge Crumpler and Bo Scaife also in the mix. Still, Cook, who timed like a wide receiver with his 40-yard dash time, is a rare brand of athlete who will carve out a niche early in his rookie season.

Anthony Fasano, Dolphins. Ever since he won a Super Bowl with Mark Bavaro, Bill Parcells has had an eye out for a clone. The physical and facial similarities are easy to see as at 6-4, 255, Fasano has just 10 more pounds on his playing frame. They also have similar blocking and receiving skills, a la Witten.

Jermichael Finley, Packers. The superlatives have been flowing about Finley's performance in training camp. On a loaded team, look for him to emerge as another downfield option for Aaron Rodgers.

Dustin Keller, Jets. Keller had the luxury of working with Brett Favre as a rookie, but he becomes more of a vital second-year player for rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez. Young passers tend to lean on sure-handed tight ends as safety valves, and Keller also will be a counted on much more as a blocker with Chris Baker gone.

Zach Miller, Raiders. He was Oakland's leading receiver last year, and although the team hopes to stretch the field better on the perimeter, he still will stay heavily involved.

Greg Olsen, Bears. The latest tight end to come out of the University of Miami has flashed great speed and playmaking ability. With the team's limited at wide receiver and Jay Cutler's fondness for seam routes, Olsen should emerge as Chicago's top target.

Visanthe Shiancoe, Vikings. Shiancoe, once Shockey's backup with the Giants, broke out with 596 yards and seven touchdowns last season. You can bet the 6-4, 250-pounder quickly will become Brett Favre's favorite target near the goal line, especially off play-action fakes.

Jeremy Shockey, Saints. The first in the line of Hurricanes didn't do much in the first year of his second chance with New Orleans, plagued by injuries and not denting the end zone once for a prolific offense. This year, he should be busy underneath as opponents focus on Drew Brees' big-play weapons.

Kellen Winslow, Buccaneers. Whether it's Luke McCown, Byron Leftwich or Josh Freeman, the Bucs need a go-to receiver to help balance a run-heavy offense. Winslow needed a fresh start, and he'll be put to work in Jeff Jagodzinski's tight end-friendly scheme.

NFL Blitz: Ryan Brings Change, Personality To the Jets

Rex Ryan learned a little bit about building an identity as a long-time assistant coach with the Baltimore Ravens.

This was a team that won a Super Bowl on the strength of its defense, a team that lacked flash and flair on the other side of the ball but was almost exhibitionist over the years with its other outsized personalities--linebacker Ray Lewis, defensive tackle Tony Siragusa, linebacker Terrell Suggs.

Ryan, the former Ravens defensive coordinator, now coaches the New York Jets. He brings his 1-0 team to Charm City on Monday night for the ESPN-televised matchup with the 1-0 Ravens. Ryan, outsized himself, always had the look and the sense of a guy who should be running his own program and the Jets agreed, dumping Eric Mangini after a three-year run.

No stranger to stern tests and one who always loved them, Ryan plans to start rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez against a defense that does not seem to have taken a step backward in his absence. The Ravens blanked the Washington Redskins 23-0 in the preseason opener and held them under 200 yards.

Adios, Cortland

August 21, 2009

Well, it's official: The Jets have left Cortland.

The team departed this morning after a mandatory team breakfast. There was supposed to be a final practice, but coach Rex Ryan informed the team last night that he'd give them a day off from football activity.

Last night was eventful in terms of entertainment. The Jets held their annual rookie show, a "Jeopardy" game and the much-anticipated "King Ugly" contest, a tradition Ryan brought with him from Baltimore. When the shows were over, the players had free time until midnight, with one stipulation: They had to spend the time with at least one teammate. Ah, yes, team bonding.

As for the King Ugly contest, let me refresh: Every player and coach pays $1 to vote for the ugliest player, coach or administrator on the team. Multiple votes are permitted, as long as you pay.

Third place gets 75% of the pot, second place gets 25% and the "winner" gets zilch. The team didn't release the results, but WR David Clowney posted on his Twitter page that backup S James Ihedigbo captured the King Ugly title. Something tells me that nugget isn't going to appear in his bio in the next media guide.

I did some snooping and learned the second- and third-place finishers:

Second place: Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine.

Third place: RB Leon Washington.

I'm not sure how much money Washington received, but I don't think it'll be enough to make him lower his contract demands.

Archived