The JETS quest for a new stadium! The latest info!

Kentucky Jet

Friday, September 23, 2005

BY MATTHEW FUTTERMAN

Star-Ledger Staff

The Jets are again seriously considering moving the team to New York, this time to a stadium in Queens, executives involved with negotiations for a new stadium in the Meadowlands said yesterday.

The Jets made their sentiments known to National Football League Commissioner Paul Tagliabue and Giants chief executive John Mara yesterday at NFL headquarters on Park Avenue.

Tagliabue called the meeting to try to broker a deal between the teams for a shared stadium in the Meadowlands. However, that deal now appears unlikely, with Jets owner Woody Johnson seeking a deal with state officials in New York for a venue in Queens.

Under orders from Tagliabue not to discuss the talks, officials from both teams declined to comment on the meeting yesterday. But they said privately that the Giants and Jets remain far apart on reaching a deal on a stadium in the Meadowlands despite pledges from the Jets throughout the summer that New Jersey was their first choice if they could not move the team to a stadium in Manhattan.

Acting Gov. Richard Codey has given the Giants until Thursday to gain the Jets' approval for a stadium in the Meadowlands or to convince the team to partner with the Giants to build the shared $800 million facility.

If the Giants cannot reach a deal with the Jets, state officials have said they may terminate the April deal the Giants signed with the state to develop the new stadium in the Meadowlands. Officials from both teams said the Jets told Tagliabue they had little interest in signing any agreement before the state-imposed deadline.

The Jets favor working with the Giants to see if they can solve their stark differences over the design of a proposed stadium in the Meadowlands before they commit to a partnership with the team. The Giants want the Jets to commit to the partnership before they will discuss the design for the stadium and the surrounding development.

Jets sources said the team is willing to spend up to $1 billion for a stadium in Queens near Flushing Meadows, and the team is working with state officials to secure up to $300 million in parking and road improvements around the site.

Queens is what I wanted all along. Unless of course they end up in NJ or in Manhattan. Then those were actually my first choices.

Excactly lets get some agreement anywhere to get a stadium in motion. I will show up wherever it is-

This stadium stuff has left me numb. I just try to tune it out.

It's a big ass tease, like some high school chick that got her thrills out of playing with you. This organization is like that skinny ass punk on the beach who always gets sand kicked in his face.

This franchise continues to get played. When will it end? I don't know. I seriously feel that Johnson will get tired(if he hasn't already) and sell or move this team. I'm thinking the former.

In my 26 years of living in NY, I have learned that little, if anything, gets built in the Big Apple. This city has so many political mouths to feed, so many NIMBYS and environmentalists, that nothing will be built. Hell it took six years to add another lane to the Queensboro Bridge. A brand new football stadium?

Yeah, ******* right.

Until then, I'll play stupid and go back to ignoring these dreams that the Jets will finally have a stadium.

Lets see if all you people from Jersey will make the trip to Queens on game day. Expect 5 hours in travel time plus tolls and gas. Wish I still lived in Queens it would have taken me 30 minuted to get there.

Lets see if Bob the Jet fan makes the trip :(

Hell, if I make the trip to Queens to see the Mets I sure as hell would make the trip to see the Jets. (I don't even like the Mets)

Lets see if all you people from Jersey will make the trip to Queens on game day. Expect 5 hours in travel time plus tolls and gas. Wish I still lived in Queens it would have taken me 30 minuted to get there.

Lets see if Bob the Jet fan makes the trip :(

There's fans in NJ? No way! :lol:

Is Queens really that much further from Bob's Upstate abode than the Meadowlands? (It might be, my geography sucks).

Archived