Tannenbaum admits he should've listed Favre on injury report

jaspegs

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/10/jets-gm-admits-he-shouldve-listed-favre-on-injury-report/

Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum admits he made a mistake when the team didn't list Brett Favre on their injury report for the final month of the 2008 season despite Favre's torn right biceps tendon.

The decision is coming under scrutiny from the NFL for possible injury report violations. Tannenbaum knew Favre was hurt, but the team felt he gave them the best chance to win.

"I'll take responsibility for that," said Tannenbaum. "As general manager of this team I should've handled that differently and listed him on the report. We didn't because he wasn't getting treatment everyday and we knew he was going to play."

There many annoying shades of gray related to how teams use the injury report. We mentioned the case of Laurence Maroney last season, who wasn't listed in Week Five last year while playing with a broken shoulder.

A league official, however, pointed out to PFT's Tom Curran that the examples of Favre and Maroney are "not exactly apples to apples."

Maroney was listed in Week Three after suffering the injury, then was off the list when the Patriots returned after a Week Four bye. In theory, Maroney could have aggravated the injury in Week Five, knocking him out for the season. Then again, the shouder was broken all along.

Either way, the Jets decision to omit Favre is worse, and Tannenbaum seems to know it.

That decision could wind up costing the organization, although Jets fans are probably angrier about the logic of playing Favre over a healthy Kellen Clemens in the first place. The Jets went 1-4 down the stretch, only winning when J.P. Losman handed them a game with a late fumble.

"I don't want to get into the specifics of the decision but we all felt good about [Favre] playing down the stretch," Tannenbaum said.

As I said in the other thread talking about this I'm scared this is going to cost us a draft pick. Teams mess with the injury report all the time but to come out and blatantly admit it is going to make the NFL come down on us. Maybe we are just going to be fined cash but since Tanny blatantly is admitting I think the NFL will make the punishment more severe.

As I said in the other thread talking about this I'm scared this is going to cost us a draft pick. Teams mess with the injury report all the time but to come out and blatantly admit it is going to make the NFL come down on us. Maybe we are just going to be fined cash but since Tanny blatantly is admitting I think the NFL will make the punishment more severe.

Never happened in the history of the NFL, Iceman.

The only punishment laid down in the past for the same infraction was financial: a fine between $10,000 to $25,000.

Also, "blatantly admitting" WTF is that? Would it be better if he pulled a Mangini and denied it (Mangini just did in his press conference)???

The only punishment laid down in the past for the same infraction was financial: a fine between $10,000 to $25,000.

That makes me feel better. I still think Goodell is going to be pissed for us blatantly coming out and saying it and try and make an example out of us. Hopefully that just means a larger fine.

I don't see how the penalty can be that big, as far as draft picks, in the end he did play every game. Why should a team have to disclose an injury to a player if he is going to play, that just gives the defense a target to hit. Now if a player ends up not playing, that is a different story.

and Belichick makes a mockery of the injury reports week in and week out, year in and year out...go ahead fine Tasnnenbaum but make sure OTHER teams don't also abuse the injury reports

No other team comes out and blatantly states the abused it. If anybody should be fined it's the Dolphins considering their wasn't a single player on their injury report all year but it doesn't matter. It's hard to prove it unless a GM comes out and says they did it, which is why Tannenbaum should have shut up.

No other team comes out and blatantly states the abused it. If anybody should be fined it's the Dolphins considering their wasn't a single player on their injury report all year but it doesn't matter. It's hard to prove it unless a GM comes out and says they did it, which is why Tannenbaum should have shut up.
He is not blatantly coming out and saying screw the injury report, he is admitting he made a mistake.

There is a huge difference, and it's a plus that he did not try to make the commissioner look like a idiot, by using a "I mis interpreted the rule" BS excuse!

Plus if they all knew he was going to play, (like Tanny said) they might not even have to list him.

I don't see how punishing teams for messing with the injury report would help Goodell clean up the image of the league.

"Today, we're fining the New York Jets $20,000 for inaccurately completing their teams injury report, therefore causing unnecessary uncertainty and confusion among bookies world wide"

I don't see how punishing teams for messing with the injury report would help Goodell clean up the image of the league.

"Today, we're fining the New York Jets $20,000 for inaccurately completing their teams injury report, therefore causing unnecessary uncertainty and confusion among bookies world wide"

Exactly! The injury report's main function is for gambling purposes anyway!

That makes me feel better. I still think Goodell is going to be pissed for us blatantly coming out and saying it and try and make an example out of us. Hopefully that just means a larger fine.

But, Ice, how is admitting to a mistake worse than lying about it? It makes no sense for Goodell to impose a harsher punishment for owning up to it.

Teams had been caught illegally filming before the Pats did. Never in he istory of the NFL doesn't mean much with Godell and new more harsh punishments. Each year he has gotten more harsh for same or similiar offenses.

While I doubt the Jets getting anything more than a fine, if they do get a more serious punishment because Godell want to set an example, it would be based on one of two things.

1. Past allegations have been mere suspicions with no hard evidence. Tanny's admission is undeniable hard evidence.

or

2. Appease the NFLPA. The NFLPA is not all that thrilled that players are getting fined for mismatched socks and making snow angels. You have a situation where Favre didn't get an MRI because the team wanted to avoid listing him on the injury report. Well that is conduct that arguably is not just monkeying with the injury report for a competitive advantage but endangering players health. To let that slip unpunished while punishing players for minor transgressions won't sit well with the NFLPA.

As I said before I don't think the punishment will be more than a fine. But if it my guess the justification won't be intergity of the game, but the health and safety of players angle.

Teams had been caught illegally filming before the Pats did. Never in he istory of the NFL doesn't mean much with Godell and new more harsh punishments. Each year he has gotten more harsh for same or similiar offenses.

While I doubt the Jets getting anything more than a fine, if they do get a more serious punishment because Godell want to set an example, it would be based on one of two things.

1. Past allegations have been mere suspicions with no hard evidence. Tanny's admission is undeniable hard evidence.

or

2. Appease the NFLPA. The NFLPA is not all that thrilled that players are getting fined for mismatched socks and making snow angels. You have a situation where Favre didn't get an MRI because the team wanted to avoid listing him on the injury report. Well that is conduct that arguably is not just monkeying with the injury report for a competitive advantage but endangering players health. To let that slip unpunished while punishing players for minor transgressions won't sit well with the NFLPA.

As I said before I don't think the punishment will be more than a fine. But if it my guess the justification won't be intergity of the game, but the health and safety of players angle.

The injury report's sole purpose is for gambling. It has nothing to do with the health and safety of players.

If Goodell tries to pull that angle he would be laughed at.

As to the videotaping, no, no team was caught red handed like the Pats.

As to the videotaping, no, no team was caught red handed like the Pats.

And no team has been caught red handed like the Jets on the injury report.

New Year means new harsher punishment from Heil Godell. As I said I doubt it comes down to anything more than a fine. Just saying the two possible justifications for using this as the crack down case if this is Godell's next area of being a douche.

And no team has been caught red handed like the Jets on the injury report.

huh??

Shannahan got caught for lying about someone's injury once...said it was a leg when it was an arm issue or vice versa

HEY LETS TRADE SOMEONE ON OUR P-U-P LIST FOR CALVIN JOHNSON!

LOL. GrayHoodie=FAIL.

Yes, teams have been caught red handed on the injury report. Hence, the prior fines for $10,000 to $25,000.

Yeah, I am pretty sure the Patriots were caught doing this before...no?

And his overall purpose is retarded. The Patriots got caught CHEATING during a game.

Slight difference between sacrificing the integrity of the game by cheating during play, than faking injury reports.

Why didn't he just STFU. Take a page from Belipricks book ... admit NOTHING. If we lose a draft pick big deal. The NFL takes it away, Tanny just trades it away..... WTF's the difference ? :biggrin:

THe honesty about admitting a mistake is refreshing. The less secrets, the better. I'm sure that being honest about this mistake is a much better road than denial. I certainly hope the NFL gives us the benefit of the doubt here and just levies the fine as they have in the past.

"I'll take responsibility for that," said Tannenbaum. "As general manager of this team I should've handled that differently and listed him on the report. We didn't because he wasn't getting treatment everyday and we knew he was going to play."

mikey, that's what the "probable" category is for :face:

Archived