ANY SALARY CAP GURU'S?

Xcel2NuFX

what are our options concerning the offseason if Pennington doesn't make a miraculous turn around?

I don't think we can cut him because I know we will get a cap hit but does anybody know the exact numbers and if it is even an option? I mean 64Mil for a guy who doesn't seem to even be starting QB material is just out of control. If we got rid of penny we could buy a small country.

There's going to be some agreement for 2006 and 2007 which will allow buyouts like the NBA. It figure to be part of every collective bargaining agreement in the future to allow the owners to get rid of expensive mistake. And the tradeoff is probably better pension benefits (shorter service time to earn a full pension), more guaranteed money(though no where near 100%) and better postcareer health insurance.

so what if pennigntons health is never the same he still gets all that money?

Chad still gets the 22 Million Dollar Bonus, regardless. Which is why you may see him on the roster regardless of if he can play next year.

When the Jets cut him depends on how much in "salary" the Jets have going against the cap verse bonus money. Also whether the Jets feel he can make a comback and become atleast a solid back up option/3rd stringer. I believe the Jets can restructure some deals, cut a few overpriced guys and take a hit over the next two years. But that contract will hurt no matter what happens.

the jets are going to pay for this for years to come. the team will be salary cap strapped for awhile as a result of this contract.

while i am still holding out hope, if this season goes down the tubes with bollywood it's time to blow up the offense and start over - mawae, fabini, kendall, curtis, and chad should all be let go and the jets should take the cap hit all in 1 year and just take the #1 overall in 2007 (adrian peterson). i'd rather see a 1 year rebuilding effort than have this drag on for the next 4 or 5.

the defense is still young - let miller, strait, vilma, rhodes, coleman, and drob develop. if bolly can't make it happen it really is time to start over.

the jets are going to pay for this for years to come. the team will be salary cap strapped for awhile as a result of this contract.

while i am still holding out hope, if this season goes down the tubes with bollywood it's time to blow up the offense and start over - mawae, fabini, kendall, curtis, and chad should all be let go and the jets should take the cap hit all in 1 year and just take the #1 overall in 2007 (adrian peterson). i'd rather see a 1 year rebuilding effort than have this drag on for the next 4 or 5.

the defense is still young - let miller, strait, vilma, rhodes, coleman, and drob develop. if bolly can't make it happen it really is time to start over.

I agree, also in your scenerio trade Abe for whatever you can get. Hopefully he has a greeat year statistically and the Jets can get a high 1st rounder for him.

That'd be great, for the Jets, especially if Penny continues to Sh#t the bed and cutting Curtis. And, without any ramifications, that'd be the best solution. And, once they're out from the Vinny cutting, and the other cuts that are still counting against their cap, they'll have a ton of cash to spend.

Some kind of amnesty in 1 or 2 yrs would be a great way to clean up some of the big salaries like Chad and Curtis in a more diplomatic way :D

Archived