Wayne Chebet's Jersey Retired....

ChrebetBoy

Do you think the Jets will retire Wayne Chrebet's #80?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Jets will retire Wayne Chrebet's #80?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, i do. What rules, its football, and Chrebet was the better football player, i dont get you.

And you don't get this argument and should stop now.

In the 60s pass interference consisted primarily of anally raping a receiver. In other words, it didn't exist. DBs could do whatever they **** they could to prevent a receiver from catching a pass.

Offensive lineman weren't allowed to extend their arms when blocking until the early 70s, thus making it significantly more difficult to protect the QB and provide him with clean passing lanes.

Short, ball-control passing offenses didn't exist until the west coast offense was introduced by Bill Walsh and the 49ers until 1979 and didn't become a staple of NFL offensive philosophy until the late 80s.

The game has evolved, making it significantly easier to play WR in the NFL now than it was 10 years ago, which was easier than it was 10 years before that, and so on and so forth.

If you understood this, you'd agree that Sauer, Walker and Toon are more deserving of the honor of jersey retirement than Wayne Chrebet.

Wesley Walkers Numbers- Rec. 438, yards-8306, avg. 19.0, TD-71

Wayne Chrebet Numbers- Rec- 580 7365, avg-12.7, TD- 41

best pure deep threat the jets have ever had. I love wayne, but I wouldn't retire his number

they don't give it out anymore anyway, that should be enough

And you don't get this argument and should stop now.

In the 60s pass interference consisted primarily of anally raping a receiver. In other words, it didn't exist. DBs could do whatever they **** they could to prevent a receiver from catching a pass.

Offensive lineman weren't allowed to extend their arms when blocking until the early 70s, thus making it significantly more difficult to protect the QB and provide him with clean passing lanes.

Short, ball-control passing offenses didn't exist until the west coast offense was introduced by Bill Walsh and the 49ers until 1979 and didn't become a staple of NFL offensive philosophy until the late 80s.

The game has evolved, making it significantly easier to play WR in the NFL now than it was 10 years ago, which was easier than it was 10 years before that, and so on and so forth.

If you understood this, you'd agree that Sauer, Walker and Toon are more deserving of the honor of jersey retirement than Wayne Chrebet.

Sorry sir, I have my own oppionion on this and so do many other fans.

My familly had season tickets since late 70's, they passed them over to me. I go to every game since 2,000, but it doesnt matter, i have film, i got stats, CHREBET IS THE BETTER WR!!!

lol, of course it matters

I've seen both with my own eyes. they actually would make a super awesome combo, walker deep and chrebet working the middle

Let me ask ya this, If toon was close to Rice, then why isnt he in the Hall of Fame. If you look at Statistics overall and storys,etc Chrebet is the better one, sorry-;)

Sigh...I'm guessing you're what, 18? 19 tops?

I'll make this brief for you, as it's obvious you're really not interested in anything that disagrees with your ejaculatory diatribe.

Once upon a time in Jetland, there was a man. A man who we'll refer to as "Walton." Walton wasn't a very smart man, he had more of a propensity for picking his nose while on camera than coming up with actual offensive plays to run on Sundays during the week. While Jerry Rice on the other hand, had the benefit of not only playing under the most influential offensive mind in the history of the game, but also catching balls thrown from not only Joe Montana but also Steve Young.

But that's beside the point; back to our main man Walton. Walton had about only 9-10 plays in his entire playbook, and all of these plays involved Al Toon running directly into the elbow of a linebacker rather than an actual route. Even in the face of all of this, he still made the Pro Bowl and was named All Pro 3 straight seasons in a row; as opposed to Chrebet, who was never named to even one Pro Bowl and certainly never an All Pro. Toon was also considered the team MVP for all of those years, and league-wide was considered an elite player, being discussed amongst the best of the best. However, due to the sheer amount of concussions he received due to the brilliant offensive strategies of Walton, Toon suffered something like 10 concussions due to Walton's sheer stupidity and was forced to retire before the guy even hit 30.

Sorry if pro-football-reference.com doesn't tell the whole story behind the numbers, or his wikipedia page doesn't tell you this either, but I hope this helps.

I HAVE to chime in here!

I can't really speak of Sauer, but I can for Chrebet, Toon and Walker. and I'm sorry Toon and Walker were better! Hands down! and I love Chrebet. Toon was (as Rutgersfan points out) an elite receiver who would've been even higher on everybodys list if concussions didn't stop him. but, with a game on the line, there was noone better than Walker! Just go and watch the 51-45 OT game against the fish! (since you have them all recorded) I can't even THINK of a game that Chrebet came through like that!

What are you talking about, i have my own oppionion and my oppionion is Chrebet could make better and tougher catches and was more valuble than al toon, sorry.

Okay, I have to chime in here. Al Toon was amazing and it is an absolute tragedy that the organization has never retired his number. Yes, on paper he was a better receiver, and yes... a pro bowler. Unfortunately, other then 1985, he played in some of the darkest days for the Jets. In fact, he only had 1 playoff appearance. His fault? No, he was victim of his time.

However, Chrebet has had several post season games and sits pretty high on the Jets receiving stats. Is he number 1 all time? No, but their is one big difference. The guy bleed green. He was one of the toughest SOB's the Jets ever had at the position. He quitely went about his time on the team doing what was asked of him. His heart out shined his ability, but wow what a pleasure to watch him play. He was a positive role model that represented, the team, his college, and the tri-state area with grace and class.

If whether a number gets retired is solely based on numbers, then Al Toon should have first consideration, but if it is based on contributions on and off the field, Wayne should be equally considered.

Some of you guys seem to think this guy outright sucked and that I just don't get. He was part of a very exciting time for the Jets (1998, 2001, 2002, 2004) and I am happy I was able to watch this guy play.

Okay, I have to chime in here. Al Toon was amazing and it is an absolute tragedy that the organization has never retired his number. Yes, on paper he was a better receiver, and yes... a pro bowler. Unfortunately, other then 1985, he played in some of the darkest days for the Jets. In fact, he only had 1 playoff appearance. His fault? No, he was victim of his time.

However, Chrebet has had several post season games and sits pretty high on the Jets receiving stats. Is he number 1 all time? No, but their is one big difference. The guy bleed green. He was one of the toughest SOB's the Jets ever had at the position. He quitely went about his time on the team doing what was asked of him. His heart out shined his ability, but wow what a pleasure to watch him play. He was a positive role model that represented, the team, his college, and the tri-state area with grace and class.

If whether a number gets retired is solely based on numbers, then Al Toon should have first consideration, but if it is based on contributions on and off the field, Wayne should be equally considered.

Some of you guys seem to think this guy outright sucked and that I just don't get. He was part of a very exciting time for the Jets (1998, 2001, 2002, 2004) and I am happy I was able to watch this guy play.

What about Walker?

I love Wayne. But he doesnt deserve to have his number retired.

Jets really need a Hall of Fame to honor players like Wayne, Wesley, Al, Kyle Clifton, and all the other very good and great players. Retired #'s should be reserved for only the greatest. I am quite sad that we can never have another coach names Weeb.

or wear a green coaches jacket

What are you talking about, i have my own oppionion and my oppionion is Chrebet could make better and tougher catches and was more valuble than al toon, sorry.

Just out of curiosity, what are you basing that on? Because according to your profile, you were born after Toon retired.

Chrebet was a great Jet and I wish we had him on the team, in his prime, right now. I will wish that every season I watch the Jets. But I'm also aware that he was usually the team's #2-#3 receiving target who wasn't usually lined up against the opponent's top cover corner.

But he was such a fan favorite for so many years, I really have no objection to his number being retired & can't see why it would seriously disturb someone to see it happen.

What about Walker?

We can go on forever with the "what abouts". These were all great players. unfortunately the Jets retire an average of 1 jersey a decade while the Patriots have retired 7 in the same amount of time for doing a lot less. Arizona retired Pat Tillman for not that great of a career. Mostly out of respect so there goes the "stats count" theory

I think it is highly unlikely. Due to the fininte number of jersey numbers each team has to work with and the number of players the team must carry, the NFL has strongly discouraged teams from retiring numbers, less they evenually run out. While teams will still occationally retire numbers it is rare. (for example I do see the Patriots retiring #12, but not any others.)

If Martin can't get his retired, Chrebet won't get his. If they were going to retire either they would've done it in 2007 when they had Martin & Chrebet days. The Jets blew it with this one. Both 28 and 80 need to be retired along with 12, 13 and 73.

Yep. Love Wayne but there are other players that I would put before him.

Since nobody else wants to say it, I'll go ahead...

If Wayne Chrebet was a 6'1" black guy who went to Grambling, there is zero chance that this thread exists.

Chrebet is like JiF. After being heralded as underrated for so long, he is now grossly overrated.

PS - Cotchery > Chrebet.

Truth. I was going to comment that we should retire the number of every better than average white guy who's played for the Jets. Thanks for beating me to it.

Loved Wayne, but he's nowhere near the number retirement stratosphere.

Archived