Titans GM says Jets have not asked for QB Volek

faba

Reese: Nobody's called for Volek

Titans GM says Jets haven't asked for QB

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

It seems like a perfect scenario for the New York Jets and for Titans back-up quarterback Billy Volek.

With Jets starter Chad Pennington out for the season with a shoulder injury and back-up Jay Fiedler sidelined as well, who would be a better fit in Mike Heimerdinger's offense in New York than Volek?

For Volek, it would be the starting job he craves.

Despite widespread rumors that the Jets might be targeting Volek, however, Titans General Manager Floyd Reese said yesterday he hasn't heard a word from anyone with the Jets.

"Nothing,'' Reese said.

Yesterday the Jets signed veteran Vinny Testaverde and worked out three other quarterbacks. The Jets are 1-2 and the offense has struggled in Heimerdinger's first season in New York, partly because of Pennington's injury.

Messages left with Volek and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, were not returned last night.

Reese said he was watching Monday Night Football when he heard the commentators mention the Volek-to-New York scenario.

"To be honest, I haven't even thought that much about it,'' Reese said. "I saw where they signed Testaverde, so I'm guessing they think they've solved their problems. I don't know if they have or not, but they think they have, so that's the most important thing.

Archived