Phil Simms take on Jets situation

faba

Tough spot for Jets

By Phil Simms

Special to NFL.com

(Sept. 27, 2005) -- There's not much doubt as to the question of the week in the New York area: With Chad Pennington out for the season and Jay Fiedler's status in doubt, what does the rest of the season have in store for the New York Jets?

It didn't take long for the Jets to sign a familiar face -- veteran passer Vinny Testaverde, who played for the Jets from 1998-2003. You can debate all you want about that decision, but the bottom line is that the starter will have to be Brooks Bollinger for at least a couple of weeks. There's no other quarterback capable enough of learning the system and getting familiar with the team to even come in and compete against him at this stage. The Jets can bring in Tom Brady and it would still take him 2-3 weeks to gain enough knowledge of the system and the players to execute the plays at even a low level.

Titans backup Billy Volek probably had the greatest chance of coming in and getting into rhythm faster than anybody else. He's capable, fairly athletic and has a sneaky arm -- he throws the ball much better than people think. More important, he knows offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger's system. But the Jets would have had to pay a premium to trade for him, because the Titans know it's a desperate situation.

So it will be Bollinger until Testaverde is ready. I'm not sure if the Jets have changed the wording they use along with the offensive system, but at least the Jets can feel comfortable with a quarterback who already had been there for a number of years. That's invaluable for the team and it's invaluable for Testaverde, because he knows the team physically. He has played with Laveranues Coles and Wayne Chrebet and Kevin Mawae, so it's going to be easier for him to get acclimated than it would another quarterback.

(Just as an aside, consider the rotten timing for a young quarterback named Kevin Eakin. A record-setting quarterback from Fordham University, Eakin looked very good this spring in NFL Europe, and then made a good impression with the Jets this summer in training camp. Having practiced well in Heimerdinger's system, he might have been a consideration for a roster spot now, but he signed with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the CFL only a week ago. So now he's sitting up there in Canada thinking, "Oh my gosh. I could be the No. 2 quarterback on the Jets right now.")

It's an unbelievable situation for the Jets, but I would disagree with anyone who thinks the team will be in the doldrums this week. There's no doubt in my mind there will be a tremendous emotional lift for the Jets this week. Now the team realizes it's "us against the world," and all that stuff.

They know they'll have to play really well and that the defense has to play close to spectacular. The offense knows it has to raise its game to help out a third-string quarterback who hasn't played very much. That's a pretty good rallying cry. I think you'll see a very emotional and physical outburst from them this week against the Baltimore Ravens.

Now the team realizes it's "us against the world," and all that stuff.

the jets always manage to play well when there are no expectations and all hope is lost. i knew this year was going to be a boondoggle as soon as i read the super bowl predictions and high expectations. now, after only 3 weeks the jets have the rest of the nfl right where they want them - totally counting them out. this is when the jets have historically been most dangerous. it seems each and every time there are any expectations the team fails miserably, now when all is lost they will undoubtedly make their charge.

Archived