Favre for MVP

Gainzo

This is probably the worst Whitlock article I have ever read and thats saying a lot.

The Truth can be inconvenient, impolite and painful. The reason you read my NFL Truths column is because you realize I will address the inconvenient, impolite and painful, even when the "friendly fire" damages yours truly.

Like most red-blooded, patriotic football fans, I participated in Brett Favre Celebration Week and built my Sunday around watching Favre's return to Lambeau Field.

There was wall-to-wall television, radio, blog and newspaper coverage leading up to Vikings vs. Packers. I found very little Truth in any of it.

Sports media coverage is oftentimes too polite, afraid to deliver pain and too focused on making sure anyone of any power is happy and comfortable.

That's why an innocent kid like Steve Bartman can be portrayed as the dumbest fan in all of sports and/or the primary reason the Cubs didn't reach the 2003 World Series and a buffoon like Ted Thompson can hold his head high while earning millions of dollars ruining the Green Bay Packers.

We have nothing to lose trashing Bartman. Ted Thompson might pass us some juicy trade gossip or gas our egos with press-box chitchat.

So last week the media performed a full rectal examination of Brett Favre's emotions, and no one — that I saw — took a peek into the empty cranium that upon being given control of the Packers franchise in 2005 decided its first order business was to develop the Brett Favre Relocation Plan.

Twenty-four regular-season games into Favre's removal as Green Bay's starting quarterback, Ted Thompson looks every bit as stupid as Peter Pocklington, the man who traded Wayne Gretzky to Los Angeles.

The inconvenient, impolite, painful, highly entertaining and worthy-of-ample-discussion truth is Brett Favre wanted out of Green Bay because he believes Ted Thompson is a moron. Favre spent one year in New York just so he could get to Minnesota and prove that Ted Thompson is a moron.

Halfway through the 2009 season and after two Vikings victories over the Packers, the Favre prosecution team has rested its case and anxiously awaits Thompson's defense the second half of the season.

As jury foreman, I'm ready to vote guilty on all charges. Short of winning the Super Bowl, there's not a damn thing the Packers can do to mask Thompson's incompetence.

I'll be asking my peers in the jury room to sentence Thompson to the unemployment line and hand Favre the league's MVP Award.

That's right. Halfway through the season Favre is the clear-cut MVP. It ain't even close. Right now Favre is sportsman of the year. That's not hyperbole.

If Favre's second-half play matches what he's delivered through eight games and the Vikings win the Super Bowl, he will have elevated himself to Babe Ruth, Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan and Jim Brown status.

What Favre has done so far this season is the stuff of legends. It surpasses Ruth's "called shot" in the 1932 World Series and Joe Namath's Super Bowl guarantee. I'd put Favre's 2009 performance on par with the "Miracle on Ice" and Ali's "Rumble in the Jungle" victory.

I'm telling you, despite blanket coverage, we've totally missed the Favre story. We've failed to put this in proper context.

Favre is doing what Michael Jordan could not.

MJ hated Jerry Krause, the general manager of the Bulls. Jordan believed Krause was an idiot and was in too much of a hurry to break up Jordan, Jackson, Pippen and Rodman. Jordan "retired" and first tried to prove Krause's idiocy by managing the Wizards and then tried to prove it by playing for the Wizards.

Jordan failed. He drafted Kwame Brown No. 1 overall and put together two forgettable seasons in a Wizards uniform.

We blew it: In all the hoo-hah over Brett Favre's much-hyped return to Green Bay, everyone missed the biggest Truth of all. Grow a pair: Redskins owner Dan Snyder took Jim Zorn's manhood away from him. But the NFL Truths has a plan to fix it. Achilles' heel: She did in Steve Phillips. She might get you too. Here's how to save men everywhere from you-know-who.

More from Jason Whitlock

The 40-year-old Favre, however, is having the greatest season of his 19-year career. His 106 QB rating is seven points higher than his previous best. He's on pace to throw just six interceptions, which would be seven fewer than he's thrown in any season as a starter.

It's deeper than the numbers. It's the 32-yard, back-of-the-end-zone rope that beat the 49ers with two seconds to play. It's the 58-yard heave to Sidney Rice that set up the game-winning field goal to beat the Ravens. It's the seven TDs and zero interceptions in two games against the Packers.

And it's the passion for the game. Favre is the Magic Johnson of football. Like Magic, Favre's personality and emotion overwhelm his teammates. You had to bust your ass and get out on the break because you knew Magic passed out candy at the offensive end like every night was Halloween.

Guys play hard for Brett Favre. There's something about good-old boys from the South. They're natural leaders. Everybody loves them. Favre and Steve McNair were cut from the same cloth. They could connect with and inspire an opposite-race teammate just as effectively as a teammate who shared a similar background as theirs.

Favre's famous "MNF" game against the Raiders after his father died is the best testament to Favre's intangible leadership qualities. Most of the media focus on Favre's great stats and overlook the fact that Favre's receivers made numerous circus catches that night. Favre's teammates cared about him so much that they picked him up on a night when he needed a lift.

All of this reflects poorly on Ted Thompson. Favre contended throughout his final seasons in Green Bay that he could still perform at an MVP level. He wanted better support. He wondered why Thompson's first significant act as GM was picking Aaron Rodgers in the first round of the 2005 draft.

Think about that. Five years ago Thompson used a critical draft pick on a player to replace the QB capable of a 106-passer rating in 2009. The Packers had their quarterback of the future — Brett Favre.

Brett Favre isn't just playing well. He's making his Vikings teammates better.

In 2006 and 2007, the Packers led the NFL in salary-cap availability. Thompson made one significant free-agent acquisition — cornerback Charles Woodson.

The rift between Favre and Thompson became irreparable when Thompson refused to go after Randy Moss, who shares the same agent (Bus Cook) as Favre. We can assume that Favre had inside knowledge that Moss would strongly consider signing with the Packers.

Thompson is dedicated to building the Packers through the draft. Moss joined Tom Brady in New England. The Patriots won 18 straight games and Brady set nearly every single-season passing record with Moss at his side.

Brady and Peyton Manning are allegedly better QBs than Favre, who has a rep for throwing huge INTs.

Favre would contend he's more prone to give in to his gambling nature when he feels he has to compensate for a talent deficiency. In his mind, give him Randy Moss, Adrian Peterson or Reggie White and his TD-INT ratio will be 3 to 1 and he'll be in contention for the MVP.

The NFL is a win-now league. When you have a chance to pair Favre with Randy Moss, you take that opportunity, win a Super Bowl or two and deal with the consequences later. Thompson chose to avoid the consequences and plan for the future.

He tired of the Favre offseason drama, tired of catering to Favre's ego. What an idiot. Favre was right. A year after Favre led the Pack to 13-3 and the NFC Championship Game, Green Bay finished 6-10 and out of the playoffs. This year it appears the supporting cast Thompson gave Rodgers is inadequate. The offensive line can't protect Rodgers and the defense looks weak against top competition.

Meanwhile, Favre has Adrian Peterson in the backfield and Jared Allen rushing the opposing quarterback. Favre has the most talented offensive and defensive players in the league. And he's not simply riding their coattails. They're all pushing each other. Favre is doing the most.

By forcing his way out of Green Bay, retiring from the Jets after one season and staging a Flava Favre, will-he-or-won't-he drama this offseason, Favre placed an unprecedented amount of pressure on himself.

When the season started, the only people in the Favre bunker were Brett, Deanna, Bus Cook, Brad Childress, Zygi Wilf and John Madden.

The media felt burned by Favre. Fans were sick of the nonstop coverage. Fran Tarkenton made a return to relevancy blasting Favre in radio and TV interviews. Adam Schefter floated a theory/story there was tension in the Vikings locker room over Favre's arrival.

Favre has made assclowns of everybody, particularly Ted Thompson.

Ali took on the government and love-it-or-leave-it America and established a reputation as "The Greatest." Other than that, I can't think of another athlete who has exceeded what Favre has accomplished this season (without overcoming a major medical issue).

Drew Brees is putting up nice stats. Peyton Manning and the Colts are undefeated.

Brees and Manning can't touch Brett Favre. Even if the Saints and the Colts run the table, Favre is the MVP unless he falls apart down the stretch.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10325372/It%27s-the-Truth:-Favre%27s-proving-Thompson-wrong

Aaron Rodgers: 1,989 yards - 14TD - 2INT - Passer Rating of 110.

Brett Favre: 1,925 yards - 16TD - 3 INT - Passer Rating of 106.

What was Whitlocks point again?

This is probably the worst Whitlock article I have ever read and thats saying a lot.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10325372/It%27s-the-Truth:-Favre%27s-proving-Thompson-wrong

Aaron Rodgers: 1,989 yards - 14TD - 2INT - Passer Rating of 110.

Brett Favre: 1,925 yards - 16TD - 3 INT - Passer Rating of 106.

What was Whitlocks point again?

Whitlock is right in most points, minus his last few lines. I mean, if Manning & Brees lead teams to 16-0 records, they'd have to considered Co-MVP's. Anyways.... You EXPECT Rodgers to win games and perform on a high level at 25, that is the time where QB's (25-30) are in their prime and are expected to perform as the best in the league and WIN GAMES. Rodgers is putting up numbers but his team is not winning. Favre, at 40 years of age with 3 weeks of Training Camp, is doing the exact same thing as Rodgers but BETTER.

Brett Favre: 2-0 against Aaron Rodgers.

Brett Favre's team: 1st place with only one loss.

Brett Favre: Has a meaningful play to define his season (Week 4 San Francisco)... Aaron Rodgers? His meaningful moments he's spent LOSING to... FAVRE.

There are 3 MVP candidates in the NFL right now, Rodgers isn't one of them, Favre is. P.Manning and Brees are the other two.

I said this last year (and was crucified) but I think right now Rodgers is the better QB. Yes, Favre is Favre, and he's having a great season. But his Vikings team is much better than Green Bay, and if the Packers had AP and any defense Rodgers would be gettting alot more MVP consideration.

I said this last year (and was crucified) but I think right now Rodgers is the better QB. Yes, Favre is Favre, and he's having a great season. But his Vikings team is much better than Green Bay, and if the Packers had AP and any defense Rodgers would be gettting alot more MVP consideration.

And if Favre had Green Bay's WR's and CB's, the Vikings would be undefeated.

If's don't mean ****. Favre IS the better QB. When Aaron Rodgers can lead a team to at least a postseason run, give me a call.

If's don't mean ****. Favre IS the better QB. When Aaron Rodgers can lead a team to at least a postseason run, give me a call.

Not to mention he was claiming Rodgers was better before he even started a game. :rolleyes:

Look at the last game these two played each other, just on Sunday.

Aaron Rodgers threw 3 TD's! Oh man! So cool!!!!!! HE'S SO GREAT!!!

Yeah?

Favre threw 4 and most importantly WON THE GAME. Eat a dick Green Bay & Favre haters.

I don't buy that. Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin, Bernard Berrian and Visanthe Shancoe (sp) are no joke. I don't think the disparity in talent there makes that much of a difference.

Favre has the best running back in football, and a damn good O-Line. Besides, we saw what happened to Favre at the end of last season.

The Vikings are just a flat out better team. The QB position not withstanding.

I don't buy that. Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin, Bernard Berrian and Visanthe Shancoe (sp) are no joke. I don't think the disparity in talent there makes that much of a difference.

Favre has the best running back in football, and a damn good O-Line. Besides, we saw what happened to Favre at the end of last season.

The Vikings are just a flat out better team. The QB position not withstanding.

Sidney Rice? Before this season the majority of NFL fans would say WHO!? Oh, that first round disappoint? Yeah, he's a nice nobody, a nice bust before Brett came to town. But FAVRE makes his receivers better, he always has and he always will continue to do so as long as he is in this league. And you cannot compare Rice, Harvin, Berrian & Shiancoe (:rl: @ Shiancoe) to Driver, Jennings, Jones, Nelson & Lee.

Brett Favre has won games for the team that Tavaris Jackson doesn't win. Can't say the same for Aaron Rodgers. He hasn't won anything in 23, 24 starts.

Look at the last game these two played each other, just on Sunday.

Aaron Rodgers threw 3 TD's! Oh man! So cool!!!!!! HE'S SO GREAT!!!

Yeah?

Favre threw 4 and most importantly WON THE GAME. Eat a dick Green Bay & Favre haters.

If you were going to start a team today and could only pick Favre or Rodgers as your QB who would you select?

If you were going to start a team today and could only pick Favre or Rodgers as your QB who would you select?

For this season or even a 2 year run? Brett Favre. Give me the proven.

If I had to pick based on 10 years down the road, obviously Rodgers because Brett won't be playing in 10 years... I think.

Sidney Rice? Before this season the majority of NFL fans would say WHO!? Oh, that first round disappoint? Yeah, he's a nice nobody. But FAVRE makes his receivers better, he always has and he always will continue to do so as long as he is in this league.

Brett Favre has won games for the team that Tavaris Jackson doesn't win. Can't say the same for Aaron Rodgers. He hasn't won anything in 23, 24 starts.

Just like Favre made the Jets WR's better last year? C'mon dude. Did it ever occur to you those receivers didn't do **** because of their QB? Of course those guys are going to play better with Favre at the helm.

And you're ****ing crazy if you don't think Aaron Rodgers would be leading the Vikings to wins if he was their QB.

Just like Favre made the Jets WR's better last year? C'mon dude. Did it ever occur to you those receivers didn't do **** because of their QB? Of course those guys are going to play better with Favre at the helm.

And you're ****ing crazy if you don't think Aaron Rodgers would be leading the Vikings to wins if he was their QB.

He did. Chansi Stuckey, Dustin Keller. Two guys right, a guy with less than 20 catches before Favre and a rookie, played very well for players in their situation. Favre sped up the progression of both Chansi, but especially Keller.

Would Rodgers be leading them to a 7-1 record? Maybe, but I doubt it. What has Aaron Rodgers ever proven? There is no chance Rodgers is throwing the ball in against the 49ers. Zero. Minny at best is 6-2 with him, but probably is 5-3.

If it weren't for Jay Cutler's opening night meltdown, the Pack are 3-4. Nice job, Aaron.

I don't think you can judge Rodgers until they get an offensive line that can block someone for more than 1 second I don't care if u put (insert who u think is the best QB of all time) with (insert the best WR's of all time) if they have a offensive line who cant block high school kids there will be no true judgment.

Whitlock is right in most points, minus his last few lines. I mean, if Manning & Brees lead teams to 16-0 records, they'd have to considered Co-MVP's. Anyways.... You EXPECT Rodgers to win games and perform on a high level at 25, that is the time where QB's (25-30) are in their prime and are expected to perform as the best in the league and WIN GAMES. Rodgers is putting up numbers but his team is not winning. Favre, at 40 years of age with 3 weeks of Training Camp, is doing the exact same thing as Rodgers but BETTER.

Brett Favre: 2-0 against Aaron Rodgers.

Brett Favre's team: 1st place with only one loss.

Brett Favre: Has a meaningful play to define his season (Week 4 San Francisco)... Aaron Rodgers? His meaningful moments he's spent LOSING to... FAVRE.

There are 3 MVP candidates in the NFL right now, Rodgers isn't one of them, Favre is. P.Manning and Brees are the other two.

Put aside your Brett ball washing for a second.

Do you think the Vikings would be 2-0 against the Packers if Favre was sacked 12 times?

Lets not make it out to be Rodgers fault. The Packers' OL is horrible, It is on pace to give up 71 sacks.

Favre is playing great and has his second consecutive mid-season MVP. Rodgers is a very good player.

One of Rodgers' biggest flaws is that he hangs onto the ball WAY too long. His OLine gets a bad rap, as do all lines whose QB's can't make quick decisions on their feet. The Packers OLine isn't Denver's, but Rodgers has pretty much sacked himself numerous times.

One of Rodgers' biggest flaws is that he hangs onto the ball WAY too long. His OLine gets a bad rap, as do all lines whose QB's can't make quick decisions on their feet. The Packers OLine isn't Denver's, but Rodgers has pretty much sacked himself numerous times.

No, his O-line is terrible. Aaron Rodgers is a VERY very good quaterback. He just doesn't have the tools around him right now to succeed. People who don't like Rodgers only do so because his name isn't Brett Favre. He makes great decisions with the ball and is a tough s.o.b. There are not many QBs I would choose ahead of Rodgers if I'm picking QBs.

The Packer's O-line is like ours was in '05, dreadful. To blame that on Rodgers is completely misinformed.

Put aside your Brett ball washing for a second.

Do you think the Vikings would be 2-0 against the Packers if Favre was sacked 12 times?

Lets not make it out to be Rodgers fault. The Packers' OL is horrible, It is on pace to give up 71 sacks.

Favre is playing great and has his second consecutive mid-season MVP. Rodgers is a very good player.

Second, Rodgers takes heat for no good reason. He's a damn good QB.

It's clear their both very good players. I wouldn't be surprised to see them both in the Pro Bowl (along with Brees) representing the NFC.

I'm not one to think that QB rating is the end-all, be-all of QB efficiency, but it's hard to ignore Rodger's 110.4 rating is 4.4 points higher than Favre's 106 rating thus far this season. Favre has a slight edge in TDs thrown, but he also has one more interception, while Rodgers has actually thrown for more yards.

If I had to pick one to build a team around, today, the hands down choice is Rodgers. I want someone that I can plan to build the next 5-10 years around, not someone who is going to flirt with retirement (only to come back) year after year.

That's not saying that Brett isn't a great QB - he is. He's obviously one of the all-time greats. But if I'm a GM I can't look at past accolades - I've got to keep my eye on the future. So I'd go with Rodgers.

People don't agree with that? I would have much preffered the packers dealt us Rodgers instead of old man retard. Rodgers got beat in the head to head but getting sacked over 14 times in those two games makes it pretty hard to compare...let alone the lack of a running game to help out.

Archived