When Listing Possible Cowher Suitors, Don't Forget The Jets

SoFlaJets

Posted by Mike Florio on November 25, 2009 9:41 AM ET

As the tarp is being removed from the NFL's coaching carousel, one thing we know is that, in the end, there will be some unexpected seats on the ride.

And with word already leaking of possible destinations for former Steelers coach Bill Cowher, it would be unrealistic at this point to rule out the New York Jets.

Last year, the Jets were interested. But the presence -- and the authority -- of G.M. Mike Tannenbaum kept Cowher from pursuing the opportunity, since he will want to run the show, presumably with the assistance of his former Pittsburgh lieutenants, Kevin Colbert and Omar Khan.

This time around, another season featuring early excitement followed by a cold splash of 1-6 reality likely will result in another non-trip to the playoffs, despite plenty of hype and big talking.

So Tannenbaum, who traded for Brett Favre in 2008 and traded up to draft Mark Sanchez in 2009, could be on shaky ground. And if Tannenbaum gets the Christmas-tree-in-January treatment, the possibility of making another run at Cowher cannot be disregarded.

Of course, that would require the Jets to fire Rex Ryan after only one year.

Bill Cowher. Rex Ryan.

Bill Cowher. Rex Ryan.

Bill Cowher. Rex Ryan.

When combining the frustration that got Eric Mangini fired after the 2008 season with the reality that the Personal Seat Licenses at the new stadium won't be selling themselves, the decision shouldn't be all that difficult, should it?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this team NEEDS an authoritative figure running it since the owner is such a milktoast...Cowher will NEVER be the Jets HC but hey, we can dream can't we? Whatever happens, we need Tannenbaum and Schottenheimer gone...same time frame that Mangini got canned...the NIGHT of the Bengals loss

Cowher doesn't want anything to do with this debacle.

This is 100% true, and especially if the Jets whack Ryan after one year. It makes Woody look like a flake which will go along with his reputation of being a cheap f()ck who won't pay his coaches. If Rex goes, it will be for a flashy name that he can sell PSL's with that Woody thinks he can nickel-and-dime. A Mike Martz-type.

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone here who has not purchased season tickets that plans on doing so if Bill Cowher is the coach?

I'll say this EY, There are a LOT more Jets fans around who are being silent right now than us on the boards and commenting on the blogs etc. Start winning and you'll see the numbers increase. Jets fans have to STOP caring about this horrible team to keep their sanity...like my friend RBJets said in a PM to me on Saturday "I have enough pain and misery in my life, I don't need any more, so I'm taking my son out to dinner-I WON'T be watching Sunday"

This is 100% true, and especially if the Jets whack Ryan after one year. It makes Woody look like a flake which will go along with his reputation of being a cheap f()ck who won't pay his coaches. If Rex goes, it will be for a flashy name that he can sell PSL's with that Woody thinks he can nickel-and-dime. A Mike Martz-type.

I'd like to see Martz as Schottenheimer's replacement...not head coach

this year has been a dismal failure of epic proportions and people are going to have to be held accountable. Johnson needs to fire the bean counter and the OC at the very least to save face and if there's any remote possibility of getting a Bill Cowher he has to do it. Who knows maybe Ryan takes a demotion to defensive co ordinator, maybe not. But rest assured Jets fans; heads WILL roll.

I agree with this. However, this is a business so I'd wouldnt be suprise that Woody/Tanny does this to sell PSL's. Truth be told, if they dont sell these PSL's they're going to be in a heap of trouble...which they're in right about now anyway cuz their not selling.

I'll say this EY, There are a LOT more Jets fans around who are being silent right now than us on the boards and commenting on the blogs etc. Start winning and you'll see the numbers increase. Jets fans have to STOP caring about this horrible team to keep their sanity...like my friend RBJets said in a PM to me on Saturday "I have enough pain and misery in my life, I don't need any more, so I'm taking my son out to dinner-I WON'T be watching Sunday"

Ok...................

What does that have to do with my question?

Ok...................

Jets fans that are going to buy PSL's have already bought their PSL's. The remaining tickets have to be sold to corporations looking for a hot-ticket/prestige-level package that they can use with clients. Right now, if a sales rep tried handing a buying agent a pair of Jets tickets, he'd get laughed at. Now, if Cowher's here, that buying agent is CALLING the sales rep for those tickets. Stock brokers, bankers, etc. won't pay for the ticket that gets them laughed at.

Jets fans that are going to buy PSL's have already bought their PSL's. The remaining tickets have to be sold to corporations looking for a hot-ticket/prestige-level package that they can use with clients. Right now, if a sales rep tried handing a buying agent a pair of Jets tickets, he'd get laughed at. Now, if Cowher's here, that buying agent is CALLING the sales rep for those tickets. Stock brokers, bankers, etc. won't pay for the ticket that gets them laughed at.

I agree with this. The PSL issue is over and done with and it seems like the team's going in a different direction from a marketing standpoint. From here on out the primary concern is tickets.

If we can get Bill Cowher, I will help pack Rex's bags.

I'll take the proven over the unknown any day.

Doesn't history show that no coach has won the SB with 2 different teams?

It's one of those things that doesn't mean much, but I had to bring it up.

Doesn't history show that no coach has won the SB with 2 different teams?

It's one of those things that doesn't mean much, but I had to bring it up.

Records are meant to be broken all the time and are broken all the time.

Right now I'd be happy with a ****ing playoff appearance at this point. We're now going to be sitting at home in January for third straight year.

Ok...................

Maybe I wasn't clear enough Eric but what I'm saying is if the Jets start winning again Jets fans will be coming out of the woodwork. They WILL buy tickets. We see it whenever the do start winning (like in September) when a lot of newbies sign up on the boards. But when they suck like they do now, Jets fans go into hibernation to keep their sanity and DON'T buy tickets and don't post up.

this year has been a dismal failure of epic proportions and people are going to have to be held accountable. Johnson needs to fire the bean counter and the OC at the very least to save face and if there's any remote possibility of getting a Bill Cowher he has to do it. Who knows maybe Ryan takes a demotion to defensive co ordinator, maybe not. But rest assured Jets fans; heads WILL roll.

WTF are you smoking??? We're 4-6, having lost 4 games by 3 or less...a team that most people projected to go around 8-8.

How the &*$ is that a "dismal failure"?

Rookie coach, rookie QB what part of this don't you understand?

Just bc the Jets have broken all of our hearts for years doesn't mean reality suddenly flies out the window.

Ridiculous stuff like this makes it even more painful to be a Jets fan

I'm glad that we have Rex.

I 2nd that.

Bill Cohwer is very overrated he coached for the best run FRANCHISE and had a absolute genius as a D-Coordinator he is one of the most conservative coaches I have ever watched sometimes that good but sometimes it makes you want to throw your chair through the TV, both of my brother-in-laws are Steeler fans and were not that upset that he walked after winning the SuperBowl.

Bill Cowher wouldnt come here....he's waiting til Fox gets canned...

WTF are you smoking??? We're 4-6, having lost 4 games by 3 or less...a team that most people projected to go around 8-8.

How the &*$ is that a "dismal failure"?

Rookie coach, rookie QB what part of this don't you understand?

Just bc the Jets have broken all of our hearts for years doesn't mean reality suddenly flies out the window.

Ridiculous stuff like this makes it even more painful to be a Jets fan

and you're happy with this? Here it is Thanksgiving Day and our season has been over for a week already...remember last season when Kris Jenkins told about his samich on national TV-we were 8-3 that day...since then we've lost twice as many games as we have won...aren't you TIRED of this sht yet? I could care less about the "we almost won or COULD have won or SHOULD be record or any excuses about rookie HC's or QB's" We are what we are....a crappy football team with a ton of excuses-THAT I understand and you know what? It ain't acceptable.

The fact that this team is 4-6 is PATHETIC. I do not care that Rex is a rookie HC and I do not care that Sanchez is a rookie QB.

We had a rookie HC with a Raggedy Ann at QB, with half a ****ing arm, lead a team with Kevan Barlow in the backfield, to 10-6 and a playoff berth. I do not want to hear this rookie HC and QB excuses. Look at Baltimore last season.

The FACT is, our Defense which was supposed to be so awesome, is a paper champion, and in 2 of our 4 close loses, has let down in the final minutes. The FACT is, our QB has turned the ball over 5 times TWICE, and four times another. I'm sorry, but why the **** is it okay for him to do that? Because he is a rookie? Give me a break.

And if someone compares him to Peyton Manning one more time, please, feel free to buy a gun and just off yourselves. Who the **** in their right mind would compare Sanchez to Manning? They have almost NOTHING in common.

Hopefully he takes his head out of his ass and we start winning some ****ing games.

lol, I knew the media would be desperate to get the jets into the coaching carosel

they feel left out of a great story

anything is possible, but I think either shotty is the sacrificial lamb or everyone gets a pass for the rookie QB

either way cowher still sounds like a steeler on the pre-game shows, I don't think he's going to coach again, and I'm almost sure it won't be the jets

The fact that this team is 4-6 is PATHETIC. I do not care that Rex is a rookie HC and I do not care that Sanchez is a rookie QB.

We had a rookie HC with a Raggedy Ann at QB, with half a ****ing arm, lead a team with Kevan Barlow in the backfield, to 10-6 and a playoff berth. I do not want to hear this rookie HC and QB excuses. Look at Baltimore last season.

The FACT is, our Defense which was supposed to be so awesome, is a paper champion, and in 2 of our 4 close loses, has let down in the final minutes. The FACT is, our QB has turned the ball over 5 times TWICE, and four times another. I'm sorry, but why the **** is it okay for him to do that? Because he is a rookie? Give me a break.

And if someone compares him to Peyton Manning one more time, please, feel free to buy a gun and just off yourselves. Who the **** in their right mind would compare Sanchez to Manning? They have almost NOTHING in common.

Hopefully he takes his head out of his ass and we start winning some ****ing games.

Joey JI is a more positive place than here right now..sad but true

Manning was 3-13 with 28 Ints his first year and had Tom Moore as

an OC and not Schott, Sperm seems to forget that.

We are also 2 Defensive stops and a braindead ST game from being

7-3, none of these can be put on Sanchez

the Jills game as bad as he phucked up in regulation, drove us from 16

yd line to winning FG try, when a backup TE makes an unneeded Holding

call, costing us a 30 yd FG

So if you believe Feeley makes it, we could have been 8-2, if you

feel weatherford would have dropped that try as well

then 7-3 with a rook at QB

but this is the jets so we remain at 4-6 with lots of holes to fill

here here Joe...excuses excuses excuses-I want to see the Jets in a fcking Super Bowl and I don't care what it takes. If it takes firing an unqualified HC for a legend after only one year? Good then do it. If it takes getting rid of the GM, please it's about that time anyway. If it takes a new offensive philosophy and a new OC...it's long overdue. If it takes benching an overwhelmed rookie signal caller, then get Jeff Garcia on the phone stat if you have zero confidence in who's backing him up.

Archived