Big Ben, is he a HOFer?

Jets Babe

If his career were to end today, is Big Ben a HOFer?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. If his career were to end today, is Big Ben a HOFer?

• Yes.
    • No way.

Today on twitter, Peter King (@SI_PeterKing) brought up a really interesting question from a reader.

"If Big Ben's career were to end today, is he a HOFer?"

King said no.

Personally, I think he's crazy. Ben has the stats and the rings to prove. Such a clutch QB. Without him, Steelers are nothing. And besides, he plays for the Steelers. The HOF loves the Steelers.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, JB, but I think you're crazy. ;)

Big Ben has only been in the NFL for 6 seasons. Yes, he has 2 rings, but only 1 SB ring did he play up to the caliber of a championship QB. He was awful in the 1st SB. The worst performance by a winning QB in the history of the championship. He was carried his 1st 2 years, and has been getting better from there.

Part of the HOF equation is how a player compares to other players playing at the same time. Ben has not performed better than Rivers, but is Rivers a HOFer?

And, BTW, Big Ben does not have HOF statistics. The most he's even thrown is 3,513 yds in 2006 and he's broken the 20 TD mark only 1 time in 6 yrs.

Career stats:

2 superbowls

Offensive ROY

Probowler

youngest Super Bowl–winning quarterback in NFL history

17,841 yards, averaging 217 ypg. 118 tds, 79 ints. 12 rushing tds.

He has done more than most QBs have in the first 6 years of his career.

If Joe Namath is in the HOF, I don't see why this guy isn't.

Per Sperm Ben doesn't get credit for the 1st one?

I think he will make it to HOF, u know something we don't:D

He had a bad game in the first Superbowl, but remember this: his rookie season, he led the team to the AFC championship game and kicked ass, even though they lost. And that next year, the Superbowl year, he played great all through the playoffs. People seem to forget about that.

He had a bad game in the first Superbowl, but remember this: his rookie season, he led the team to the AFC championship game and kicked ass, even though they lost. And that next year, the Superbowl year, he played great all through the playoffs. People seem to forget about that.

I concur

without him they do not make SB

"Kicked ass" in his rookie year?

You mean his rookie year where the Steelers ran the ball 65% of the time (NFL record) and Big Ben was awful against the Jets in the playoffs (Reggie Tongue anyone?) and was equally awful against the Pats AT HOME in the AFC title game?

I remember that rookie season of his, and if he doesn't play a team with Herm and Chad no way he gets to the AFC Championship game that year.

You mean his rookie year where the Steelers ran the ball 65% of the time (NFL record) and Big Ben was awful against the Jets in the playoffs (Reggie Tongue anyone?) and was equally awful against the Pats AT HOME in the AFC title game?

he was a rook?

Anyone know what Brady looked like as a rook?

Yeah, and he only won that game because of Doug Brien.

(See what I did there?)

:rl: :rl: :rl:

How could anyone seriously deem Handoffburger a HOF'er?

The first time they won, it was possibly the worst performance by a winning QB in Super Bowl history. He did nothing. He handed the ball to Parker & Bettis and the one big passing play they had in the game it was done by Antwaan Randle El. Oh yeah, he got a rushing TD that wasn't really a TD. 'Grats Ben.

He won one Super Bowl by himself, he misses plenty of games, makes tons of stupid decisions, etc.

No, he is not a HOF'er. All he is is a big body playing the position so he can escape a few more sacks, that's about it.

He is no Peyton Manning. He is no Tom Brady. Those are the only two HOF QB's on the field in the NFL right now.

****, Dennis Dixon played better last night than Handoffburger would've.

The first time they won, it was possibly the worst performance by a winning QB in Super Bowl history. He did nothing. He handed the ball to Parker & Bettis and the one big passing play they had in the game it was done by Antwaan Randle El. Oh yeah, he got a rushing TD that wasn't really a TD. 'Grats Ben.

He won one Super Bowl by himself, he misses plenty of games, makes tons of stupid decisions, etc.

No, he is not a HOF'er. All he is is a big body playing the position so he can escape a few more sacks, that's about it.

He is no Peyton Manning. He is no Tom Brady. Those are the only two HOF QB's on the field in the NFL right now.

kurt warner is a likely hof'er. brees might be on the verge if he keeps it up.

what did Brady do his rook year?

Did Big Ben rely on any cheating as well to win his 2 SB's

Take your pat glasses off for a change

what did Brady do his rook year?

Did Big Ben rely on any cheating as well to win his 2 SB's

Take your pat glasses off for a change

Brady was not forced into action.

But his first season he was, he won a Super Bowl, with a far less talented team behind him. And hey, he actually played a much bigger role in winning it.

Not hard to realize.

He has done more than any other QB has in the first 6 years of his career.

Huh?

In Tom Brady's first 6 years he won 3 Super Bowls and in 2 of them he was MVP. He actually mattered in all 3 Super Bowls. Ben mattered in 1 of his 2.

First of all, comparing him to Namath is useless. It's apples and oranges condsidering the era they play in. To put Roethlisberger in the HOF you have to compare him to the top QB's of his era. Where do you rank him overall career wise on how they project vs players like Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Palmer, Warner, Favre, Romo, E Manning, Rodgers, etc... He's obviously better than some, but clearly not better than others, and the majority can be debated. Personally I feel he needs to step it up just a bit higher to really be considered a HOF QB in my eyes.

Alright. Modern QBs

1. Favre - HOF

2. Brady - HOF

3. Manning- HOF

4. Brees - HOF

5. Roethlisberger

6. Warner - HOF

7. E Manning - not yet

8. Rivers - not yet

9. Palmer - not yet

10. Rodgers - not yet

11. Romo - no

He's in the HOF bunch, to me.

Per Sperm Ben doesn't get credit for the 1st one?

I think he will make it to HOF, u know something we don't:D

For someone who has asked me multiple times to ignore each other, you seem to like throwing my name out there along with vastly rewording things I've said.

We can have it your way if you want, with me responding to your posts. Clearly this is what you would like and I am willing to accommodate you. After all, this is the site that cares.

For someone who has asked me multiple times to ignore each other, you seem to like throwing my name out there along with vastly rewording things I've said.

We can have it your way if you want, with me responding to your posts. Clearly this is what you would like and I am willing to accommodate you. After all, this is the site that cares.

My bad

Alright. Modern QBs

1. Favre - HOF

2. Brady - HOF

3. Manning- HOF

4. Brees - HOF

5. Roethlisberger

6. Warner - HOF

7. E Manning - not yet

8. Rivers - not yet

9. Palmer - not yet

10. Rodgers - not yet

11. Romo - no

He's in the HOF bunch, to me.

You're saying that you feel Roethlisberger belongs in the HOF ahead of Warner if he continues to play only at the level he is today? I know you were like 10 years old when Warner was in is prime, but Roeth has a long way to go to reach Warner's level.

Alright. Modern QBs

1. Favre - HOF

2. Brady - HOF

3. Manning- HOF

4. Brees - HOF

5. Roethlisberger

6. Warner - HOF

7. E Manning - not yet

8. Rivers - not yet

9. Palmer - not yet

10. Rodgers - not yet

11. Romo - no