Thomas discusses being sent home

JETSorDIE

Comment Email Print Share

ESPNBoston.com

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- All of the four New England Patriots players that were sent home from Gillette Stadium for being late for an 8 a.m. meeting Wednesday -- Randy Moss, Gary Guyton, Adalius Thomas and Derrick Burgess -- were on hand at the start of practice Thursday.

Thomas Q&A

2317.jpg During a lengthy discussion with the media Thursday, Adalius Thomas discussed being sent home Wednesday for being late to a meeting. Check out the full transcript. Thomas Q&A

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comment Email Print Share

ESPNBoston.com

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- All of the four New England Patriots players that were sent home from Gillette Stadium for being late for an 8 a.m. meeting Wednesday -- Randy Moss, Gary Guyton, Adalius Thomas and Derrick Burgess -- were on hand at the start of practice Thursday.

Thomas Q&A

2317.jpg During a lengthy discussion with the media Thursday, Adalius Thomas discussed being sent home Wednesday for being late to a meeting. Check out the full transcript. Thomas Q&A

ESPNBoston.com

Thomas addressed the media before practice in a lengthy discussion about the incident.

"I got sent home. That's pretty much it, for being late," he said.

"I think everyone woke up to the snow yesterday. I didn't know it was going to snow. There was traffic. I can't run people over getting to work. I don't do that. I actually almost had a car accident. It is what it is. He did what he thought was best for him. That's what he did."

Thomas broke out a cartoon reference when asked about being stuck in traffic, saying, "What do you do? It's not the Jetsons, I can't jump up and just fly. What the heck am I supposed to do?"

When asked if there was disconnect between him and coach Bill Belichick, Thomas responded, "I don't know. I really don't know. I'm dumbfounded. I don't try to figure it out. I'll let you guys do it. You guys do a lot more guessing at it than I do. Like I said, whatever I'm told to do, that's what I do."

Moss didn't talk to the media while the locker room was open.

Defining time

How Bill Belichick enforces discipline and keeps the Patriots focused will be key in determining whether they will be a contender or fade into mediocrity. Mike Reiss

Belichick wouldn't confirm the decision to send the players home on Wednesday.

"Anything that happens with discipline on the team will stay between me and the players," Belichick said Wednesday morning.

The Patriots, who face the Panthers on Sunday, are 7-5 and clinging to one-game lead in division, but Thomas says doesn't see this as a motivational situation.

"Motivation is for Kindergarteners. I'm not a Kindergartner," Said Thomas. "Sending somebody home, that's like 'He's expelled, come back and make good grades.' Get that [expletive] out of here. That's ridiculous. Motivation?"

ESPNBoston.com Patriots reporter Mike Reiss contributed to this report.

check the weather forecast you moron.

Because those are always accurate. If I checked the forecast half the time I'd be walking around with an umbrella in the sunshine and wearing shorts in the snow.

they predicted snow, if he knew he would have woke up earlier..

dont enable a lazy ass thug turd, at least belly didnt

If they indeed called ahead and this was FIRST time being late, then they should have been fined slightly but not sent home. I think Belly is losing it..

Turning into Captain Queeg:

'Who stole the strawberries?'

cainebogart.jpg

Patriots LB confused by tactics, being sent home

Associated Press

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) - Patriots linebacker Adalius Thomas is surprised he was sent home by coach Bill Belichick for being late to a team meeting.

Thomas was one of four players who were sent home for tardiness on Wednesday. He said Thursday that he was surprised because he had called ahead to say he might be late as players are instructed to do. Thomas also said he almost got into a car accident as he drove to Gillette Stadium during a snowfall that tied up traffic.

He said he showed up about nine minutes late for the 8 a.m. meeting and was told by Belichick to leave. Thomas also said he doesn't know how Belichick thinks and he's dumbfounded by a lot of things that go on but he just does what he's told.

Thing's like this happen when you lose.

Belly was being a dick, but it all stems from losing.

No, it is called being a leader of a team. You do not allow that.

Especeially, ones that are considered to be leaders.

i have a feeling if it was Brady or Welker being 5 minutes late he would not have sent them home

i am sure it was caused from monday nite film study, where all 4 sent home

looked like crapola

Three of those names were not too surprising. Plus, I seriously doubt Brady and Wes would be late because they did not check the weather.

No, it is called being a leader of a team. You do not allow that.

Especeially, ones that are considered to be leaders.

Three of those names were not too surprising. Plus, I seriously doubt Brady and Wes would be late because they did not check the weather.

I am sure they all do not live in same neighborhood and conditions

were different for all, he did call ahead u know

Yeah like getting your a$$ sent home for being late when damn near everyone else somehow made it on time.

It's hard to put everyone in the same catagory for something like this since not everyone is taking the same path to work. Depending on how everything was getting plowed and other accidents slowing traffic down it's so hit and miss.

That being said next time he knows he should just hit a tree or something and get the police report and then everything probably would of been fine.

Pretty amusing watching Patsie fans cheer on Belly here.

The guy called prior, let his boss know that he was going to be late because of the weather. It happens.

I hope the wheels come off, so Im enjoying Belly acting like a moron.

I probably would have let him get all the way to practice before making an example out of him too. Again, everyone else on the team apparantly looked at the weather report and got up early.

I probably would have let him get all the way to practice before making an example out of him too. Again, everyone else on the team apparantly looked at the weather report and got up early.

Like you've never been late for work before in your life. Sending someone home who is still getting paid is not a punishment. It is silly beyond belief. They should sit him too. This way he gets his millions to do nothing.

Most normal companies in this situation would push the meeting back some, you know...safety first.

I know the NFL always seems different but how would a team come off putting a player on IR because he got into a car accident trying to make it to a meeting in hazardous conditions?

"I think everyone woke up to the snow yesterday. I didn't know it was going to snow. There was traffic. I can't run people over getting to work. I don't do that. I actually almost had a car accident. It is what it is. He did what he thought was best for him. That's what he did."

WHAT A SHOT AT DONTE STALLWORTH LMAO

Most normal companies in this situation would push the meeting back some, you know...safety first.

I know the NFL always seems different but how would a team come off putting a player on IR because he got into a car accident trying to make it to a meeting in hazardous conditions?

It's wild. To see guys like ALk who seems to be the type of person to take a 3 hour lunch bitching about a guy being late in a snow storm.

Like you've never been late for work before in your life. Sending someone home who is still getting paid is not a punishment. It is silly beyond belief. They should sit him too. This way he gets his millions to do nothing.

If it wasn't a punishment, would he be crying like a baby to the media?

Oh, I don't know. Maybe because everyone knew it was going to effin' snow? It snowed here two days ago. We checked the weather and knew it was coming and planned accordingly. But what do we know? Our combined salaries probably equal what he makes in a game.

Oh, I don't know. Maybe because everyone knew it was going to effin' snow? It snowed here two days ago. We checked the weather and knew it was coming and planned accordingly. But what do we know? Our combined salaries probably equal what he makes in a game.

I'm with you on this ALK, I'm in the military and I know if I'm late (doesn't matter if there's a cat 5 hurricane) I could only wish I would be sent home early as a punishment... F these pre-Madonnas, get to work on time, no excuses, end of story. ....and I make **** money.

Archived