'Avatar' early reviews through the roof

SouthernJet

Premiered in London last night....Looking like it will be biggest Movie of Year...

11 early reviews so far,,all great..

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/

New "Avatar" movie & James Cameron will go to the Oscars as nominees

3:15 PM December 10, 2009

London --- Just left the 'World Premiere' of "Avatar," and while the standing ovation the film received at its conclusion is probably just the requisite politeness; I can report that this is another rare example where the quality of the movie does indeed exceed the hype and "Avatar" will most certainly be among the 10 'Best Picture' nominees for the Oscars; and James Cameron will also be a Best Director nominee. I think it is also possible that actress Zoe Saldana, who has the most challenging of roles in the film, may rack up an additional acting nomination as well.

The movie may owe more than a few plot points to the story of Pocahontas, and there may be some grousing at a fairly heavy-handed treatment of corporate greed and our lack of American energy independence; but the key question, is Cameron able to deliver a movie that packs the entertainment value and emotional punch of 'Titanic.' The clear answer is 'Yes.' The Oscars will not ignore this film.

Avatar at the Odeon, Leicester Square

Wendy Ide

Movie events don’t get bigger than this. James Cameron’s long-awaited follow-up to Titanic, the most successful film to date, is immense in every way: from the ambition and scope of its vision, to the ground-breaking technological wizardry, to the staggering size of its budget.

Estimates of the production costs vary widely, but recent theories place Avatar alongside Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World’s End as one of the most expensive films made.

But on the strength of the film’s well-received world premiere in the Odeon Leicester Square, in Central London, last night the movie industry players of Los Angeles should not be too worried about losing their houses just yet.

Avatar is an overwhelming, immersive spectacle. The state-of-the-art 3D technology draws us in, but it is the vivid weirdness of Cameron’s luridly imagined tropical otherworld that keeps us fascinated.

+1

I think this movie looks like a complete piece of crap. This schlock is a testament to Jim Cameron's ego more than anything else.

ABSOLUTELY. I couldn't stand the previews:

FROM LEGENDARY FILM MIND JAMES CAMERON- DIRECTOR OF:

TITANIC

TERMINATOR

ALIEN

SOME OTHER SUPPOSED GREAT MOVIE

COMES THE GREATEST THOUGH TO EVER ENTER HIS ELITE MIND- WAR SMURFS. THE EPIC JOURNEY FROM THE GREATEST MIND FILM HAS EVER SEEN.

ABSOLUTELY. I couldn't stand the previews:

FROM LEGENDARY FILM MIND JAMES CAMERON- DIRECTOR OF:

TITANIC

TERMINATOR

ALIEN

SOME OTHER SUPPOSED GREAT MOVIE

COMES THE GREATEST THOUGH TO EVER ENTER HIS ELITE MIND- WAR SMURFS. THE EPIC JOURNEY FROM THE GREATEST MIND FILM HAS EVER SEEN.

Word, you forgot to mention Aquaman.

Wasn't Avatar oringinally released as a Video Game called Halo? Or is it just a coincidence(rip off) that they look like the same thing?

Word, you forgot to mention Aquaman.

Wasn't Avatar oringinally released as a Video Game called Halo? Or is it just a coincidence(rip off) that they look like the same thing?

I think South Park hit on the head:

It's Dances with Wolves but with Smurf people.

"Man goes to fight foreign culture, somehow ends up IN foreign culture, is assimilated, falls in love with native girl, fights against his OWN culture because he sees injustice, insert tragic death of native"

"Man goes to fight foreign culture, somehow ends up IN foreign culture, is assimilated, falls in love with native girl, fights against his OWN culture because he sees injustice, insert tragic death of native"

i would say its prudent to wait until flick is seen before we listen to south park :confused:

I try to never prejudge based on past content/stars etc.

If I did I would have missed some good flicks based on prejudice

i would say its prudent to wait until flick is seen before we listen to south park :confused:

I try to never prejudge based on past content/stars etc.

If I did I would have missed some good flicks based on prejudice

I'm not "basing" it on South Park, thanks.

I'm basing it on the trailers. Guy goes to a foreign planet (culture) as Army personnel (Dances with wolves, Last samurai) has to go undercover into the native culture in his "avatar" body (insertion into native culture), through his avatar meets a foxy blue lady (falling in love with native) has conflicted interests based on the trailer (seeing the wrong doing of his culture waging war on the natives). Same recipe, rinse and repeat.

Then again I'm not the local movie guru, JMO.

I'm basing it on the trailers. Guy goes to a foreign planet (culture) as Army personnel (Dances with wolves, Last samurai) has to go undercover into the native culture in his "avatar" body (insertion into native culture), through his avatar meets a foxy blue lady (falling in love with native) has conflicted interests based on the trailer (seeing the wrong doing of his culture waging war on the natives). Same recipe, rinse and repeat.

trailers??

yikes..

trust me,,dont ever do that...

Kind of like how Forrest Gump and Waterboy are basically the same movie.

This is just something random I want to throw in: I've met a lot of people who work at Digital Domain, the company that does special effects for Cameron's movies. You have no idea how smart these people are, they blow away anyone I've met in any other field. Much smarter than the silicon valley types. These guys could work in any field they want and they chose hollywood special effects cuz they thought it was cooler than the other tech jobs. The amount of intellectual horsepower behind these movies is staggering.

ps its dancing with smurfs. The whole script got leaked to the internet years ago so everyone knows the story already. Smurfs.

Kind of like how The Last Samurai was Dances With Wolves in Japan.

Waterboy is Forrest Gump minus the Viet Nam War and shrimpboats.

Ha, well Forest Gump is like 10 movies in 1.

But The Fast and The Furious and Point Break;

Young, hip undercover cop works his way into an airtight crime circle. Falls in love with female and the members of the group. See's life differently and ultimately has crime groups leader right we're he wants them and lets them go free. While he walks away with a new perspective of life.

aquaman???

either a great inside joke (entourage) or mistake.. :D

I think they have it confused -

The Atlantians that they are referring to are the Atlanteans of the SUB MARINER,

440px-Dorma.jpg

not Aquaman...

They are very similar to Cameron's characters, the Pandorans

Archived