How/Why I was blinded by Herman for so long

Jetlag

::Walks into "Herm"aphrodite's Anonymous::

Hi, my name's Jetlag and I'm a "Herm"aphrodite or atleast I was.

Firstly I'd like to state that I've always considered myself pretty even-keeled and realistic as far as the New York Jets are considered or atleast as realistic as a fan can be, IMO.

When Herm first entered the Hempstead office to claim the Head Coach role I was like most "Who the F*ck is this?" Then I started to hear the players compliments pour in. Wayne Chrebet, "When I heard him on the radio it made want to strap on a helmet and play." Kevin Mawae, " This is the type of coach we need." ...etc etc.

I started to buy in a little but still was a bit hesitant. Then I started to feel that atleast this guy wants to coach the Jets, especially after we had been abandoned at the alter by 3 different guys in the past year. It felt good that a coach wanted to be here and wanted to make a difference. Then the season begins, and it was uuggglllyy, at first. Herm soon rallied his troops and began a triumphant resurgance making the playoffs before getting the boot but making them nonetheless.

This was encouraging and I saw a lot of potential in Herm (this won't be the last time you'll see that dreaded "potential" word.) He made his mistakes but did enough to overcome them and gain a playoff birth (which is an accomplishment whether you agree or not.) Only better times could be around the corner...or so I thought.

Start the 2002 season, once again a disasterous beginning but here came Herm preachin' and prayin'. Praying that his team might show up and/or a leader would step up and help him guide this team. Enter "The future" Chad Pennington. This was the man Herm was praying for, it was like divine intervention. This team turns it around behind an untouchable quarterback who can do no wrong. The two of them guide the Jets into the playoffs and give this Jets fan the best live football game his young eyes have ever seen (2002 Green Bay Packers to win the division in week 17). Once again bells are going off in my head "soooo much potential!!!"

Then 2003 comes. Chad gets hurt ala Vinny '99 and our defense couldn't stop a JV girls field hockey team. Suddenly I turn on Herm, until the Giants game. Everyone is bashing the hell out of our team and HC. But I have an epiphany ( #-o ) that the team is keeping these games so close and it's truly just the talent not being there. That Herm is doing a hell of a job with terrible talent by keeping us in every game. Which is true, there have not been many blow outs either way in the Herm Edwards era. I defend him until I'm blue in the face and am mocked but continue to stand by him. Again I see that "potential" as a very good head coach.

To keep it brief about 2004, it was nearly everything I expected from Herm. To have a top team able to compete even without your star player(s).

Which brings us to now. Well like in 2003 when I had that "epiphany" I've recently had another one. It basically goes like this "Screw potential and screw excuses." I've now had a long enough span of time to judge Herm and now realize he capped out on his "potential" last year. Another thing I had against getting a new coach was the wait of "rebuilding and uncertainty". Well now I'm gladly looking forward to both of those words. Right now we're in "deconstruction and certainty", certainty that we will never win anything under Herman Edwards. So for all the people wondering why so many change of hearts, here is my reasoning. Any other HP's Anonymous members care to be heard? Here is the mic...

I am a Jet fan who started watching and understanding games in the middle 1970's. As sad as it is to say, the Herm Edwards period is one the winningest in modern Jets history. Plus, I believe that stability at GM and Head Coach is the way to build a successful organization. Those facts were the reason I gave Herm a very long rope. But, I stand before you as another member of the converted. Herm must go!

I always knew..Maybe because I'm older but when I see a Skunk I don't call it a pussycat and invite it into the house!! And even if it's from PETA's minority Skunk program that turns Skunks into Pussycats..A Polecat is a Polecat and eventually you'll get sprayed!! :lol:

Herm Koresh aka Herm Manson aka Herm Ron Hubbard aka Herm Jones, like all cult leaders, had many of us sip the Kool Aid.

The scope of Herm's appeal was widespread. He was even able to have a young, bright man in Pennington

brainwashed by his underling, Hackett.

I know how Herm did it.

Repeat after me "we've made the playoffs 3 out of four years" "We've made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years".

If that fails, Hermophrodites are to chant "We play to win the game"

If all else fails, Herm will have us all sip poisoned Kool Aid or set Hofstra on fire.

Archived