the dumbest draft related article i have read this year

bitonti

oh man this one takes the cake. I thought it was a joke like from the onion. But it wasn't. Even dumber this genius leaves contact information for feedback.

Dear Ted, you are a moron. Love, everyone.

Sillanpaa: With Leinart out there, Smith needs to play now

The 49ers have to get quarterback Alex Smith into the game because they could wind up with the first overall pick in the 2006 NFL draft.

Coach Mike Nolan has to know as much as he can about Smith because the team with the first pick in the draft will get first crack at USC's Matt Leinart.

If uncertainty about the things Smith can do could prevent the 49ers from using a draft pick to select Leinart, it's really, really important that the club get a good long look at Smith.

It seemed silly to think about the 2006 NFL draft - until the Arizona Cardinals beat the 49ers like holiday pinatas in Mexico City on Sunday night.

Throw that 31-14 beat down into the mix with a heap of injuries, a little dissension and the fact that Tim Rattay won't win any more games than Smith would. All of a sudden, the 2006 draft brings warm, fuzzy feelings.

If Leinart had opted to enter the 2005 draft, the 49ers would have selected him No. 1 - over Smith. Every team in the NFL rated Leinart ahead of Smith.

In 2006, the USC quarterback could be coming out of school with three straight national championships and two Heisman Trophys.

Smith has a world of talent and potential. No one knows if he'll ever be good NFL quarterback. Leinart's going to come out of Southern Cal with "can't-miss" stamped all over him.

Economics indicate that the 49ers wouldn't pay Smith $49 million, then draft Leinart and pay him even more. They're committed to Smith. Right?

Well, they're committed to Smith until they have they have an alternative. Based on how this season has started, the alternative could be Leinart.

Don't laugh off the idea of the 49ers taking Leinart only a year after taking Smith. Nolan might want to adopt Smith and take him home every night, but he'd grab Leinart in a second if he thought Leinart was a better quarterback.

Ask San Diego Chargers backup quarterback Philip Rivers about what can and can't happen to first-round picks. He went in the first round, was paid millions of dollars - and now he's stuck behind Drew Brees and demanding the Chargers trade him.

The 49ers can't stumble toward a top draft pick not knowing for sure if Smith's got the stuff required for them to leave Leinart on the table in 2006.

Smith might be a revelation and turn the 49ers into a team that goes 6-10 or he might finish 0-12 as a starter. He might be a revelation, finish 6-10, and bring value in trade so the 49ers can select Leinart and build around him.

Either way, the 49ers need to find out about Alex Smith right now.

Reach Ted Sillanpaa at 427-6979 or tsillanpaa@dailyrepublic.net

http://www.dailyrepublic.com/articles/2005/10/04/sports_top_stories/sport02.txt

#-o

Could they draft Leinart and trade Smith, or trade the top pick down to fill more of their way-too-numerous holes-may be. But the whole tone of the article is that they would somehow keep both, which is insane.No team could afford it. You cannot pick 2 QBs with the top pick in consecutive years and not bankrupt your cap; isn't happening.

Could they draft Leinart and trade Smith, or trade the top pick down to fill more of their way-too-numerous holes-may be. But the whole tone of the article is that they would somehow keep both, which is insane.No team could afford it. You cannot pick 2 QBs with the top pick in consecutive years and not bankrupt your cap; isn't happening.

I can only imagine trading the #1 pick in teh draft, who has been signed, will only wreck a salary cap.

They would have leverage to use the #1 as trade bait this year for teams that are desperate for a QB. Anybody know any team like that?

They are pretty well married to Smith, I would imagine.

Given the big ass contract Smith received, I find it hard to believe that the Niners would trade him, take a huge cap hit, only to find themselves with another unknown, unproven qb, who would get an even bigger deal, since contracts from the previous year are usually used as a guide or guage.

You are right. No way in hell does it happen, and if, by some stroke of lightning, it did, the GM should be shot and the coach buried alive.

:shock:

That is stupid. Everyone knows the Jets are a lock for #1.

In all seriousness, Alex Smith was a bad pick, a desperation heave in a year of pathetic top QB's.

Well put TS, at least in my opinion.

I suppose he has chance to be good, but was he a roll of the dice or what with the #1 pick?

If anyone thinks the first pick in ANY draft will ever be anything but a QB 90% of the time, look at Smith....20 year old QB, with little expereince in a gimmick offense -- 4 & 5 receivers on every play, out of the shotgun in a mid-major conference.

The demand for QB's has gotten so strong, teams will even "create stars" in their heads to put out there.

Was this article taken off of draftdaddy? In all honesty I didn't see anything that stupid about it. Then again, my name isn't bitonti.....

Twas stupid, considering cap implications, the other many holes the Niners have, and that they have to find out what a rookie can do in the NFL, right away? Please, if they base him off one year, than they're brain dead. Just trade the pick and make a mint. Everyone wants Leinhert.

Well put TS, at least in my opinion.

I suppose he has chance to be good, but was he a roll of the dice or what with the #1 pick?

If anyone thinks the first pick in ANY draft will ever be anything but a QB 90% of the time, look at Smith....20 year old QB, with little expereince in a gimmick offense -- 4 & 5 receivers on every play, out of the shotgun in a mid-major conference.

The demand for QB's has gotten so strong, teams will even "create stars" in their heads to put out there.

I didn't catch alot of Smith in college, but I have absolutely hated what I've seen of him in the pro's. He looks small, indecisive (moreso than just rookie-indecisive), and worst of all, inaccurate. Someone should ask Gil Brandt what the hell he saw (if anything). Just brutal.

Alex Smith = Andre Ware

That may very well be true, but he hasn't even taken a snap in the NFL yet. I think it's best to give him more than one season, on a rebuilding Niners team, before making a judgement.

He could turn out to be Johnny Unitas, or he could be Ryan Leaf. But, considering the other holes the Niners have, drafting another (and more expensive) number one pick Qb would be freakin stupid.

Someone should ask Gil Brandt what the hell he saw (if anything). Just brutal.

Maybe the crew-cut, high IQ and the polite demeanor, very uncommon in big time college sports today, gave Gil flashbacks to the 1950's :lol:

By the way, I'm only half joking. I respect Gil's age and the job he did in the NFL, but we are all human.....And sometimes we tend to favor people that impress US personally and treat us well.

I know Gil and Alex met extensively (Smith's agent made sure Alex would Charm Gil) at his private workout, which left him gushing profusely.

TS, I remember a great quote from Brian Billick around 1999...It went something like this: "Sometimes you have to wonder if we are drafting legit first round QB's, or we're just talking ourselves into believing some are because we need them real bad".

R Sherry and Shadow make solid anolagies with Andre Ware, due to the gimmicky, shotgun offenses both Ware and Smith played in (albiet about 15 years apart)...

While your at it, you can even throw David Klingler into the mix....He was such a screwball, that when Boomer and the QB's (Todd Philcox of Syracuse and Erik Wilhelm??)would sit down to eat together, Klinger would run to the parking lot and eat alone in his pickup.

Boomer said then and there, he realized Klinger was a bust waiting to happen.

Rigs... you know I respect your opinion and I hold it high, but I don't know how Smith can be judged without taking an NFL snap. Y'know? I mean, yeah, he did play in that Utah offense, which wasn't traditional and prone to gauddy stats, and the Niners probably did panick when they picked him, but he was chosen over Aaron Rodgers, so he might have something. What I'd want to know is if Bill Walsh saw something in him or not. I know he still has ties in the Niners organization. I wonder if the pick had his blessing or not?

I'm still on the side that if the Niners give up on Smith after one season/half season/or whatever, just to go further into cap hell, draft yet another number one pick QB, who will be more expensive, then who ever is running that organization should be shot.

Maybe the crew-cut, high IQ and the polite demeanor, very uncommon in big time college sports today, gave Gil flashbacks to the 1950's :lol:

By the way, I'm only half joking. I respect Gil's age and the job he did in the NFL, but we are all human.....And sometimes we tend to favor people that impress US personally and treat us well.

I know Gil and Alex met extensively (Smith's agent made sure Alex would Charm Gil) at his private workout, which left him gushing profusely.

TS, I remember a great quote from Brian Billick around 1999...It went something like this: "Sometimes you have to wonder if we are drafting legit first round QB's, or we're just talking ourselves into believing some are because we need them real bad".

R Sherry and Shadow make solid anolagies with Andre Ware, due to the gimmicky, shotgun offenses both Ware and Smith played in (albiet about 15 years apart)...

While your at it, you can even throw David Klingler into the mix....He was such a screwball, that when Boomer and the QB's (Todd Philcox of Syracuse and Erik Wilhelm??)would sit down to eat together, Klinger would run to the parking lot and eat alone in his pickup.

Boomer said then and there, he realized Klinger was a bust waiting to happen.

Rigs, is it just me or is off-the-field character entirely over-rated when it comes to football players? For that matter, all sports. I'm not talking about the sociopaths like Lawrence Phillips or the chronically lazy like Darrell Russell, but moreso guys like Randy Moss and Shockey. Hell, remember the Joe Montana and Dan Marino cocaine rumors? I think to a large extent the problem with the Jets is that they put way too much emphasis on drafting solid citizens and ignore diamond in the rough types. To some extent, I think that might have been what made them draft a loser like Bryan Thomas and pass on Ed Reed, because Ed Reed is a nutcase and Thomas was a soft-spoken hillbilly.

Rigs... you know I respect your opinion and I hold it high, but I don't know how Smith can be judged without taking an NFL snap. Y'know? I mean, yeah, he did play in that Utah offense, which wasn't traditional and prone to gauddy stats, and the Niners probably did panick when they picked him, but he was chosen over Aaron Rodgers, so he might have something. What I'd want to know is if Bill Walsh saw something in him or not. I know he still has ties in the Niners organization. I wonder if the pick had his blessing or not?

I'm still on the side that if the Niners give up on Smith after one season/half season/or whatever, just to go further into cap hell, draft yet another number one pick QB, who will be more expensive, then who ever is running that organization should be shot.

Storm, he started in the preseason and looked terrible, got pulled, and then he was inserted in the blowout loss to the Cardinals and looked terrible again.

Storm, he started in the preseason and looked terrible, got pulled, and then he was inserted in the blowout loss to the Cardinals and looked terrible again.

Yeah, but he's in San Francisco... and they're in offensive overhaul, again.

I'm just saying, after his first season and few games, isn't it too soon to judge? Especially the kind of investment they made in the kid.

Yeah, but he's in San Francisco... and they're in offensive overhaul, again.

I'm just saying, after his first season and few games, isn't it too soon to judge? Especially the kind of investment they made in the kid.

I don't wanna sound like the old man on the hill, but when you've seen enough QB's come down the pike, you can tell when they're gonna win you ballgames and when they're just not going to ever make it in the league from watching about 20 snaps.

Thanks Shadow....I just want to make this clear: I did say Smith is worthy of being given a chance to start, should've been a Day1 pick and I definitely don't want to brand him a "bust'.

Again, I thought he was a bit of a reach at #1 -- considering his backround. I think NFL teams want star QB's so bad, they are willing to roll the dice 9ala the NBA and the teens)....Remember, Alex was only 20 and had just 1 full season in WAC starting, so he was a "potential pick", more so tham a Lineart or even a Quinn ( 3 season starter for ND) would be...

I actually thought Rogders was the better of the two (barely), but he dropped cuz he was 6' 2"....NFL teams really want between 6' 3" and 6' 5" (too tall is no good either).

Alex is in a impossible spot, what else can you about a team starting Jonnie Morton?

I like him and will root for him, actually....I just wonder if another season at Utah wouldn't have made him better?

Easy for me to say, I'm not being offered $50 million :P

Tex, actually Leaf was supposed to be the "better athlete", with the "better arm".....While Peyton was basically seen as some see Leinart -- product of the system, weaker arm than Leaf.

Thing with Leaf was personality....In retrospect, it was said he had no almost no friends in H.School....Just a messed sort to lead a team. I hope he's happy in Wyoming, or wherever he is.....

Tex, actually Leaf was supposed to be the "better athlete", with the "better arm".....While Peyton was basically seen as some see Leinart -- product of the system, weaker arm than Leaf.

Thing with Leaf was personality....In retrospect, it was said he had no almost no friends in H.School....Just a messed sort to lead a team. I hope he's happy in Wyoming, or wherever he is.....

Thanks Riggs, I couldn't actually remember all the reports on Leaf, but I know they were much more positive then negative.

Rigs, is it just me or is off-the-field character entirely over-rated when it comes to football players? For that matter, all sports. I'm not talking about the sociopaths like Lawrence Phillips or the chronically lazy like Darrell Russell, but moreso guys like Randy Moss and Shockey. Hell, remember the Joe Montana and Dan Marino cocaine rumors? I think to a large extent the problem with the Jets is that they put way too much emphasis on drafting solid citizens and ignore diamond in the rough types. To some extent, I think that might have been what made them draft a loser like Bryan Thomas and pass on Ed Reed, because Ed Reed is a nutcase and Thomas was a soft-spoken hillbilly.

I think teams say differnt things....In 2004, when I was helping a edit a Colts site (don't do that anymore) a Indy paper reported Tony Dungy cut a fringe kid from the CFL because he showed up to the Colts with a Detroit Lions duffle bag (showed a lack of respect for the Colts, paper hinted).....But at the time, Edge and Wayne are alaways seen with Redskin "Portis' jerseys amd Michael Doss goes around shooting guns into crowds =D>

Point? I think the majority of teams in the NFL hide behind the character issue, but at the end of the day put up a lot if players do well.

Personally, I think it's tough....Because you are right, for every Leaf and Phillips, there is a Moss and Marino who just dominate, despite the 'red-flags".

I wonder if Bradway is just talking up Reed's bad rep, because he made a bad pick?

BTY, I think teams can have a few poor character player, if their core is OK--i.e Cincy picked Chris Henry.

But teams like Arizona, Minnesota, ect...that have too many are in trouble and usually implode :Wave:

Thanks Riggs, I couldn't actually remember all the reports on Leaf, but I know they were much more positive then negative.

Tex, they (reports) were definitely VERY positive...Matter of fact Charger butt-lick Sean Salisbury once said on ESPN that Chargers coaches were so fond of Leaf's character, they hoped he'd leave the film room from time to time....

In rretrospect, that was total bull---Leaf was the ultimate slacker, who no one liked (sort of like Elvis Grbac or JP Losman in terms of no or few friends in the game).

There was heavy pressure on the Colts to go for Leaf #1 and if you remember, the Chargers handed Arizona a ton to move up just 1 or 2 spots to grab Leaf.

Yea, he was seen as "robo QB"...Big, cannon arm, mobile, led a crap team to the Rose Bowl---turned out to be a total scam job. :lol:

I think teams say differnt things....In 2004, when I was helping a edit a Colts site (don't do that anymore) a Indy paper reported Tony Dungy cut a fringe kid from the CFL because he showed up to the Colts with a Detroit Lions duffle bag (showed a lack of respect for the Colts, paper hinted).....But at the time, Edge and Wayne are alaways seen with Redskin "Portis' jerseys amd Michael Doss goes around shooting guns into crowds =D>

Point? I think the majority of teams in the NFL hide behind the character issue, but at the end of the day put up a lot if players do well.

Personally, I think it's tough....Because you are right, for every Leaf and Phillips, there is a Moss and Marino who just dominate, despite the 'red-flags".

I wonder if Bradway is just talking up Reed's bad rep, because he made a bad pick?

BTY, I think teams can have a few poor character player, if their core is OK--i.e Cincy picked Chris Henry.

But teams like Arizona, Minnesota, ect...that have too many are in trouble and usually implode :Wave:

Great point about having that core of guys to build around. I have always maintained that teams need a couple of guys that will get caught with a handgun or a minor out at 3 am on a Tuesday night with weed in the backseat. It's just an integral part of the mix. Can't win anything without em.

Great point about having that core of guys to build around. I have always maintained that teams need a couple of guys that will get caught with a handgun or a minor out at 3 am on a Tuesday night with weed in the backseat. It's just an integral part of the mix. Can't win anything without em.

I don't wanna sound like the old man on the hill, but when you've seen enough QB's come down the pike, you can tell when they're gonna win you ballgames and when they're just not going to ever make it in the league from watching about 20 snaps.

Yeah, but he's on a team that has no talent what so ever. I can't say anything about Smith, I've never seen him play. I just figure that they picked him with the top pick and paid him 50 million bucks. He'll get more than this season. And he should. And they shouldn't draft another QB. They should draft something they need. Like talent.

Yeah, but he's on a team that has no talent what so ever. I can't say anything about Smith, I've never seen him play. I just figure that they picked him with the top pick and paid him 50 million bucks. He'll get more than this season. And he should. And they shouldn't draft another QB. They should draft something they need. Like talent.

Nah. He's like Harrington. He's got nothing.

In today's NFL TS, how do avoid those players?

I think you can't be stupid, though, like Denny Green....Around 1999, he just became a total dick after a 15-1 season and nabbing low character Moss, that he went against 99% of the Vikings organization that desperately wanted Patrick Kerney (this cause fight in the organization) to pick Demitrius Underwood..

Now, former MSU coach N. Saban told the Vikings Underwood was so screwy, a 7th rounder on him was risky, let alone a first :wtf:

Green had his power after the 15-1 season and had to stick up the Vikings brass a$$es, it was a huge mistake.

He also traded 29 year old Brad Johnson (who went on to win a SBowl) for a #1 pick he PROMISED would be used to help the defense, then went after a D-1 aa QB Culpepper :shock:

In retrospect, the 1999 draft probably got Green fired and kept him out of the NFL for a while (he was said to be difficult to work with and power hungry).

Thanks Shadow....I just want to make this clear: I did say Smith is worthy of being given a chance to start, should've been a Day1 pick and I definitely don't want to brand him a "bust'.

Again, I thought he was a bit of a reach at #1 -- considering his backround. I think NFL teams want star QB's so bad, they are willing to roll the dice 9ala the NBA and the teens)....Remember, Alex was only 20 and had just 1 full season in WAC starting, so he was a "potential pick", more so tham a Lineart or even a Quinn ( 3 season starter for ND) would be...

True enough. I'm just saying, he's still real young and he can grow. I'm just not ready to judge a kid after 7 games.

I actually thought Rogders was the better of the two (barely), but he dropped cuz he was 6' 2"....NFL teams really want between 6' 3" and 6' 5" (too tall is no good either).

Alex is in a impossible spot, what else can you about a team starting Jonnie Morton?

I like him and will root for him, actually....I just wonder if another season at Utah wouldn't have made him better?

Easy for me to say, I'm not being offered $50 million :P

Johnny Morton? He's the one told Jay Leno to kiss his ass while he was on the Lions. And who Million called a fag. Not that it has anything to do with his talent, but he's 35 or so. He was an up and comer in 1995. If you're relying on him and Bradnon Lloyd, and your best target is out for the season, then you're already SOL.

Another season might have been best for him, but with the coaching changes and everything, I'm not so sure. If you're going to have a coaching change, might as well go for some of the best football minds (in theory) on the planet, in the pros.

In today's NFL TS, how do avoid those players?

I think you can't be stupid, though, like Denny Green....Around 1999, he just became a total d!ck after a 15-1 season and nabbing low character Moss, that he went against 99% of the Vikings organization that desperately wanted Patrick Kerney (this cause fight in the organization) to pick Demitrius Underwood..

Now, former MSU coach N. Saban told the Vikings Underwood was so screwy, a 7th rounder on him was risky, let alone a first :wtf:

Green had his power after the 15-1 season and had to stick up the Vikings brass a$$es, it was a huge mistake.

He also traded 29 year old Brad Johnson (who went on to win a SBowl) for a #1 pick he PROMISED would be used to help the defense, then went after a D-1 aa QB Culpepper :shock:

In retrospect, the 1999 draft probably got Green fired and kept him out of the NFL for a while (he was said to be difficult to work with and power hungry).

Yeah, he definitely caught that Al Davis syndrome, except instead of going aftyer castoffs he went after street thugs, thinking that his tough-love, Father Flanagan act was going to shape those guys up. It can definitely blow up on you. You look at the awful play of his Cardinals team and you realize just how tricky the balance is between being a good game technician and being a good coach, which involves balancing 53+ ego's, including his own.

by the way I believe this is dumb is for the following reasons -

1) you can't bail out on your #1 overall pick QB after 1 season, even if it's atrocious. Draft picks take more than just a couple games to evaluate, especially rookie starters on teams that stink. If Alex Smith is not in jail or dead he's the starter next year and the year after... then you can bail but not before. that's football 101.

2) Cap wise it would very tough to draft two #1 overall picks at the same position. Just because San Diego has a similar situation doesn't mean it's an advisable place to be. I don't know what percentage of the cap it would be at a single position but it would be alot - just off the top of my head say 1/4 of the cap between two players.

3) Reputation-wise what does it say to ownership about the quality of general manager that needs a mulligan with 25 million dollars of guarunteed bonus? It would be career suicide for the SF decision makers.

TS, Green's Vikings were out of hand and it did blow up on him, on and off the field and he was all to proud of it, cuz he was "sticking it to the man".

He had players and his personal security guard accused of rape left and right....In one game against Chicago on TV, Dwayne Rudd ran a fumble back like 80 yards and suddenly stopped at the 1 yard line for about 10 seconds to taunt Chicago's offense....

By the time the idiot scored, he had like 5 offensive lineman beating the crap out of him and the officials just let him take the beating (sort of like Gastineau/ Jackie Slater in 1984?)... :mrgreen:

Shadow, I love those Connecticut players and Smith had a good one: Eric Johnson from Yale at TE....He's Pro Bowl caliber, but will miss the season....Talk about taking away a meal from a person person, that's all the 49ers had and he's down (so is Woods at WR) :oops:

I remember Millen calling J. Morton a fag -- Like TO once said about Garcia: If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably a duck! :lol:

Shadow, I love those Connecticut players and Smith had a good one: Eric Johnson from Yale at TE....He's Pro Bowl caliber, but will miss the season....Talk about taking away a meal from a person person, that's all the 49ers had and he's down (so is Woods at WR) :oops:

I remember Millen calling J. Morton a fag -- Like TO once said about Garcia: If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably a duck! :lol:

Where there's smoke, there's fire :wink:

I think judging Smith on a rebuilding team is assinine, and considering Tom is the only one doing that, the shoe fits. His offensive line is like swiss cheese, he lost two of his top targets, and he's young. It's not like he doesn't have time to get it. I know the NFL stands for Not For Long, but I didn't realize that Not For Long was code for 18 snaps.

Archived