Pennington says he would back up Sanchez..

Steveg

If he would come back to the Jets and accept the role of being Sanchez's mentor at a reasonable price, then ****ing do it...you gotta be kidding me if you think that would be a bad move. There is no reason to hate Pennington. Complain about his arm strength and what not, but an argument is made that he is the second smartest quarterback behind Peyton, and I fully believe that.

Tell me, what about Pennington makes you think he'd be a good "mentor" to Sanchez? Do we really want the self-serving noodle arm giving him ANY advice about playing the game of football? Him being a rhode scholar and two-time comeback player-of-the-year warrior gives him exactly zero qualifications to be play the role of QB coach.

Oh, it's a GREAT idea if you want Sanchez to not know how to beat a tough defense or win meaningful postseason games.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[Chad]'s done enough in this league that I don't think he'd see the same eight men in the box Sanchez had to face.

You're kidding, right? I mean, Chad's the original eight men in the box QB. That's all he's seen his last few seasons. Coming off yet another surgery on his throwing arm, he'll get no respect at all.

Tell me, what about Pennington makes you think he'd be a good "mentor" to Sanchez? Do we really want the self-serving noodle arm giving him ANY advice about playing the game of football? Him being a rhode scholar and two-time comeback player-of-the-year warrior gives him exactly zero qualifications to be play the role of QB coach.

Oh, it's a GREAT idea if you want Sanchez to not know how to beat a tough defense or win meaningful postseason games.

Are you really worried about Sanchez winning playoff games when he doesn't even know how to play poorly in big games?

Pennington is a veteran who's been around the game way longer than KC and Sanchez, so it's a definite upgrade. And I've heard multiple times by the so called "experts" that he is one of the smartest quarterbacks in the game.

And are you seriously saying he can't be a mentor because he has a noodle arm?

Yes, I am.

Mark: "Chad, can you show me how to throw a deep out?"

Chad: "A what?"

Mark: "A deep out. Like, when the receivers go more than 30 yards..."

Chad: "30 YARDS!??? GEE GOLLY.. do you get a running start, like, when you can move up in the pocket at least 6 or 7 steps before you launch that sucker? You get like 2 weeks to prepare for it, right?"

Mark: "A deep out. Like, when the receivers go more than 30 yards..."

Chad: "30 YARDS!??? GEE GOLLY.. do you get a running start, like, when you can move up in the pocket at least 6 or 7 steps before you launch that sucker? You get like 2 weeks to prepare for it, right?"

:rl::rl::rl:

Remember when people kept trying to say that Chad was having footwork issues preventing him from throwing bullets, or that the shoulder surgeries were going to help him throw the deep ball? Those were the days.

He's not ****ing incapable of throwing the ball 30 yards. ..by the way, he can show him how to throw a deep out because he's very accurate as well.

he's a loser.. you want a loser treaching our young QB? I don't.

:rl::rl::rl:

Remember when people kept trying to say that Chad was having footwork issues preventing him from throwing bullets, or that the shoulder surgeries were going to help him throw the deep ball? Those were the days.

The **** with the "he is going to change his throwing motion and footwork!" was the funniest **** I've ever read. Seriously, people, seriously? He's going to find something better then what he was using earlier in his life that got him into the pro's as a 1st round pick?

Gimme a break!

I love Chad, but the injuries did take his career away. But I would be more than happy to see him back here as the back-up.

He's not ****ing incapable of throwing the ball 30 yards. ..by the way, he can show him how to throw a deep out because he's very accurate as well.

He needs a running start and two weeks of rest to throw said 30+yd ball.

I love Chad, but the injuries did take his career away. But I would be more than happy to see him back here as the back-up.

As long as he doesn't get to talk or interact with Mark in any way, shape, or form, I'd be OK with it too. We're screwed if Mark goes down anyways, might as well have some nostalgia out there while we're playing in the new stadium.

As long as he doesn't get to talk or interact with Mark in any way, shape, or form, I'd be OK with it too. We're screwed if Mark goes down anyways, might as well have some nostalgia out there while we're playing in the new stadium.

Just please...explain to me how Pennington took a 1-15 team and made them an 11 win team and beat us at home the last week of the season. I guess you have to be a terrible quarterback to do that.

Just please...explain to me how Pennington took a 1-15 team and made them an 11 win team and beat us at home the last week of the season. I guess you have to be a terrible quarterback to do that.

If you really think Chad was the only, or even the primary, reason for that turnaround, there's not a whole lot we can do for you.

Why? This is the same guy that was yucking it up with Big ben about how bad he played after 2004. To pretend the players have the same outlook as fans on these things is silly. The pats and jets are supposed to have some kind of rivalry but look how much cross over there's been there. It's not like I'm saying Chad is a heal for going to miami in the first place (as others have said)

Chad was these guys teammates for a lot of years, and couldn't find it in himself to wish well for his former teammates. If it doesn't speak to bad character, it most certainly speaks against the carefully crafted persona of all around wonderful human being. It's petty.

Your argument is petty. A standard of character that requires one to root for the organization that fired him is unreasonable. I know how important press conferences are to you, but I find it very hard to care about the persona when the player throws like a girl.

Bring him in!! The man is arguably the most cerebral quarterback in the NFL. As for his interceptions, would you not want Farve as a tutor? Comon guys, he was our "Quarterback" and for him to be willing to come back to us after what we did to him (which was a lousy, lousy move), means he still has strong feelings about the green and white and sees himself as someone who can help Sanchez, I think this would be an excellent move if we can get it done. On a personal note, I could start wearing my $200 #10 jersey again;)

:Typotux:

Sanchez says he'd be fine with a Pennington return

Posted by Josh Alper on February 6, 2010 11:30 AM ET

Chad Pennington's announcement that he'd be open to a return to the Jets as a free agent made its way into New York papers on Friday, so it isn't a surprise that the team's current quarterback found himself fielding questions about Pennington later in the day.

Mark Sanchez has never met the former Jets starter, but said he's heard nothing but good things about him. Sanchez doesn't think there would be any friction if Pennington returns, unless the veteran tires of answering questions.

"I think there would be parts of it that might be difficult because he's going to want to play as well," Sanchez said. "But I think the way the team is headed, I think we're set in that respect at quarterback. I'm confident in my ability, in playing and the experience I got this year. But I think it can only help us. I don't think it will cause any friction, just the type of guy he is from what I hear from other people. It would be a joy to have him."

When Sanchez struggled this season, there were many who thought the team did him a disservice by not having a veteran backup to help him smooth out rough spots. Sanchez seems to agree with that assessment. He said he enjoyed a strong relationship with backups Kellen Clemens, Erik Ainge and Kevin O'Connell, but they didn't have much to offer him by way of advice.

"Kellen helped me out quite a bit, Kevin O'Connell and Erik Ainge, but towards the end of the season I had played more games than those guys," Sanchez said. "It was a situation I wanted to bounce ideas off people and I'd use Coach Cavanaugh as a resource and stuff like that."

Pennington would certainly fit the bill, not only because of his age but because he's likely to come cheap after another shoulder injury and because he says things like "you don't necessarily have to lead from a starter's role."

Penny is soft with a weak arm but I don't understand the hate as a BACKUP.

I'd put him there with the Charlie Batch's of the league. I'd take him as Ben's backup.

Simple, Chad is the devil and there's no doubt in my mind that he'd go Harding on Sanchez at some point in order to screw Tannenbaum completely over. And yes, I firmly believe that exact scenario would happen.

Your argument is petty. A standard of character that requires one to root for the organization that fired him is unreasonable. I know how important press conferences are to you, but I find it very hard to care about the persona when the player throws like a girl.

When the "pro" case for bringing him centers around his reputed all world character, i'd say counterpoints to the contrary are certainly in play and not petty. Afterall, his ability to mentor Sanchez is the topic here, not whether or not we all want to see anymore girl football.

Nobody with an active brain can.

Actually, anyone with a active brain would for the following reason alone:

Chad is an UFA. The only way the Jets can sign him is if one of their own UFA signs elsewhere for a salary in which the Jets can sign Chad.

The Jets are not limited in signing a cut player, such as the rumored cut of Kerry Collins.

Thus, signing Chad would prevent the Jets from signing another UFA at a key position of need.

That's an absolute waste of assets under the current Final 4 restrictions.

Pennington's a FA and the Jets are limited in free agency. If God is smiling down on our franchise, he'll sign with another team before the Jets even lose a FA - the prerequisite for them being able to sign a FA of their own.

I like the mentoring idea, but I'd prefer it be a QB with an NFL caliber arm.

Pennington can't beat superior competition. He's never been able to, and coming off yet another shoulder surgery it's unlikely that this will be his year. If we have to go to him for any extended period of time, it'll be like a "worst of" from Sanchez' rookie year. Eight men in the box, but an arm that can't throw a simple out pattern. You don't always face the Buccaneers the week your starter can't go.

I can't see this happening. Bad blood..unless if the Jets patch things up with Penny boy. If they do bring him back, he better know his role. None of this QB competition ****.

The minute sanchez struggles (and as a second year player, he will), all the BJ's chad gives his teammates, coaches and media will begin to payoff, and you'll start hearing stories about "locker room whispers" of wanting chad to start or a divided locker room. I don't care what anyone says, Chad will actively undermine the kid. **** him

I can't see this happening. Bad blood..unless if the Jets patch things up with Penny boy. If they do bring him back, he better know his role. None of this QB competition ****.

There would be no competition. Even if Chad wanted it. The way Sanchez closed out the season makes it clear that Sanchez is the man going into the year. He does need a veteran backup. I support Chad coming back.

The minute sanchez struggles (and as a second year player, he will), all the BJ's chad gives his teammates, coaches and media will being to payoff, and you'll start hearing stories about "locker room whispers" of wanting chad to start or a divided locker room. I don't care what anyone says, Chad will actively undermine the kid. **** him

I think Chad would definitely do that.

I think Chad would definitely do that.

Absolutely. I'll say it again for all of those who claim what a great mentor Chad would be: Just look at the way he acted when he was benched in favor of Clemens, it was disgraceful. And this was in spite of the fact that he was given way more chances then he should've been that year and only managed to lead the Jets to a single win, against a team who only won one game all year. You'd think he would've learned something from how well Vinny treated him when he took his job, but apparently not. I'm not exactly sure what makes anyone think anything has changed in the past two years.

There would be no competition. Even if Chad wanted it. The way Sanchez closed out the season makes it clear that Sanchez is the man going into the year. He does need a veteran backup. I support Chad coming back.

agree 100%

Chad back is so logical it hurts

Archived