Report: Georgia Tech WR Thomas breaks foot

leonwash29

NFL Network reports that Georgia Tech WR Demaryius Thomas broke his foot on Monday while training for next week's Scouting Combine.

The injury is fluky, as Thomas missed just one game in his college career (due to a mild concussion as a sophomore). A likely top-32 selection, Thomas' stock will be adversely affected because he may not be able to run for scouts at all before the draft, depending on the fracture's severity. Like for all big wideouts, there have been questions about his long speed. Feb. 17 - 7:18 pm et

Steal him at end of first round please?

If this dude didn't play on a triple option offense he would be considered the next Calvin Johnson. He averaged over 20 yards a catch and is a physical beast. Hopefully he gets slept on even more than he already was because of this and we can get him in the second round or later.

Some nice highlights. Physical and fast. When's this guy supposed to be off the board?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

NFL Network reports that Georgia Tech WR Demaryius Thomas broke his foot on Monday while training for next week's Scouting Combine.

The injury is fluky, as Thomas missed just one game in his college career (due to a mild concussion as a sophomore). A likely top-32 selection, Thomas' stock will be adversely affected because he may not be able to run for scouts at all before the draft, depending on the fracture's severity. Like for all big wideouts, there have been questions about his long speed. Feb. 17 - 7:18 pm et

Steal him at end of first round please?

If he's a "top 32 pick" that means he is a late first round selection at best healthy, so how will the Jets be "stealing" him at the end of the 1st?

Stealing him would mean he was a top 15 selection, but fell to 29 because of the injury.

Some nice highlights. Physical and fast. When's this guy supposed to be off the board?

it depends on how he would run... if he ran that 4.3 he would have been a sure fire first rounder... now he could slip to the 2nd... either way the Jets had to have been looking at him closely... Benn and Williams too.

I'm normally not allowed to like other players in the ACC, but this kid had some amazing plays over the year. Didn't do very much against the Hurricanes :cheers:, but he looked like he was playing on a different level than anyone else and gave them a big play when they needed it.

I think he'd be a nice fit for the jets.

I meant stats as in Height weight, but I got it.

http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/thomas_demaryius00.html

number_button-8.gif

Demaryius Thomas

3354320.jpeg

profile.gif

arrow.gifClass:

RS Junior

arrow.gifHometown:

Montrose, Ga.

arrow.gifHigh School:

West Laurens

arrow.gifHeight / Weight:

6-3 / 229

arrow.gifPosition:

Wide Receiver

arrow.gifBirthdate:

12/25/1987

Honors

* 2007 ACC All-Freshman Team (Sporting News)

* 2007 Honorable Mention Freshman All-America (Sporting News)

In The Record Books

* 2nd -- Single-game receiving yards (230 in 2008)

* t-12th -- Single-game receptions (9, two times)

* t-16th -- Career receiving yards

* t-19th -- Career receptions

Georgia Tech's best receiver since Calvin Johnson and one of the most skilled receivers in the ACC... greatly improved his blocking skills... ranked eighth in the ACC in receiving yards per game (52.2 ypg)... caught at least one pass in every game he played in... had 39 receptions for 627 yards... had more than half of Tech's receptions (39 of 74)... had nine receptions of 20 yards or longer... averaged 16.1 yards per reception... has 1,185 career receiving yards to rank tied for 16th in Tech history... has more career receiving yards than any active non-junior or senior in the ACC... his 74 career receptions rank tied for 19th in Tech history... had three receiving touchdowns in 2008, seven for his career... has recorded two career 100-yard receiving games... caught three passes for 32 yards vs. LSU in the Chick-fil-A Bowl (Dec. 31)... showed his versatility in the Miami game (Nov. 20) when he had two receptions for 17 yards, one rushing attempt for 14 yards and he threw a 22-yard pass completion to Lucas Cox... had four receptions at 19th-ranked North Carolina (Nov. 8)... had five of Tech's seven receptions, for 88 yards, including a 42-yard strike from Josh Nesbitt vs. Virginia (Oct. 25)... was a hero in the win at Clemson (Oct. 18) when he hauled in a 24-yard touchdown pass from Nesbitt with 5:22 remaining to lift Tech to a 21-17 road win... finished the game with four receptions for 56 yards... recorded two receptions for 41 yards including a key 35-yard reception from Calvin Booker vs. Gardner-Webb (Oct. 11)... had one of the finest days by a receiver in Georgia Tech history vs. Duke (Oct. 4)... hauled in all nine of Tech's receptions for 230 yards -- the second-most single-game receiving yards in school history... had an 88-yard touchdown reception on a pass from Jaybo Shaw -- the third-longest pass play in Tech history and the longest since 1996... caught his first touchdown pass of the season -- a 20-yard pass from Jaybo Shaw -- vs. Mississippi State (Sept. 20)... did not play in the Virginia Tech (Sept. 13) game to recover from a mild concussion... had four of Tech's six receptions at Boston College (Sept. 6) for 56 yards... had one catch for nine yards and threw a pancake block that led to a touchdown vs. Jacksonville State (Aug. 28)... a talented and athletic receiver with big-play capability... has outstanding speed.

Played in all 13 games and started 10 times... started the final eight games... ranked second among Yellow Jacket receivers in receptions (35) and receiving yards (558)... had twice as many touchdown receptions (4) as any other Tech receiver... averaged 15.9 yards per reception... had one rushing attempt and one passing attempt... caught one pass in each of the first two games of his rookie season before hauling in five passes for 68 yards including a long of 43 against Boston College (Sept. 15)... scored his first career touchdown on a pass from Taylor Bennett at Virginia (Sept. 22)... ended up with four catches for 86 yards, including a 56-yarder, against the Wahoos... was outstanding at Maryland (Oct. 6)... had a career-high nine receptions, had one TD reception, and went over the 100-yard receiving mark (139 yards) for the first time in his career... had two catches for 46 yards and was credited for a touchdown reception on a ball he didn't catch at Duke (Nov. 10)... D.J. Donley caught a pass from Taylor Bennett but fumbled into the end zone where Thomas recovered for a TD against the Blue Devils... had three receptions vs. North Carolina and two more vs. Georgia... had four catches for 69 yards and one touchdown in the Humanitarian Bowl.

Redshirted as a true freshman.

High School

Also a first-team all-state selection in Class AA by the AJC... PrepStar All-Region selection... two-time all-region and all-Heart of Georgia choice... selected for the GACA North-South All-Star game... had 56 catches for 756 yards and seven touchdowns as a senior, following 32 receptions for 330 yards and three scores as a junior... coached by John Kenny... played on state championship basketball team.

Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Top 50 in Georgia

No. 22 overall prospect in Georgia (Scout.com)

No. 34 overall prospect in Georgia (Rivals.com)

Personal

Full name is Demaryius Antwon Thomas... nickname is Bay-Bay... born December 25, 1987... parents are Shirley Brown and Bobby Thomas... majoring in management. Career StatisticsYearGP-GSRecYdsAvgTDLPRushYdsAvgTDLP200812-123962716.138822914.5015200713-103555815.9456100.000Career25-2274118516.07883299.7015

I agree he is a physical beast and and he has made some "clutch" catches. But what I see when I view his clips is he plays with "lazy hands". A lot of his catches are juggled or caught with the back side of the ball which leads to inexplicable drops. (does any of this sound familiar with a WR we picked up from a brown(s) and burnt orange team last year??) And if he doesn't correct the way he runs with the ball, it's gonna be a nightmare for him at the next level.

The up side is, if he's willing, all that is correctable with some tough love coaching. If his stock drops and he falls anywhere near the Jets after the first round, he might be worth a pick.

just saw the highlights of him.

Yes Please.

I agree he is a physical beast and and he has made some "clutch" catches. But what I see when I view his clips is he plays with "lazy hands". A lot of his catches are juggled or caught with the back side of the ball which leads to inexplicable drops. (does any of this sound familiar with a WR we picked up from a brown(s) and burnt orange team last year??) And if he doesn't correct the way he runs with the ball, it's gonna be a nightmare for him at the next level.

The up side is, if he's willing, all that is correctable with some tough love coaching. If his stock drops and he falls anywhere near the Jets after the first round, he might be worth a pick.

Se what i saw on those highlights was a guy who would go and high-point the ball. He caught with his hands, not a body catcher.

I notice a lot of recievers juggle the ball as they catch it now a days. The game is so fast it's tough to make a clean catch. However with more practice you can get better.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

If he's a "top 32 pick" that means he is a late first round selection at best healthy, so how will the Jets be "stealing" him at the end of the 1st?

Stealing him would mean he was a top 15 selection, but fell to 29 because of the injury.

He would be a steal with our first pick imo. He could be that good. If the Jets go WR, he would be the guy I want.

it depends on how he would run... if he ran that 4.3 he would have been a sure fire first rounder... now he could slip to the 2nd... either way the Jets had to have been looking at him closely... Benn and Williams too.

Bit,

How would people rank Benn over Thomas? They both lack production but Thomas is a bigger, better, faster version.

Bit,

How would people rank Benn over Thomas? They both lack production but Thomas is a bigger, better, faster version.

i dont know that benn is ranked higher than thomas... how they run will sort it out... now that thomas isn't gonna run that hurt him obviously... but assuming they were both healthy thomas could have easily been considered a better prospect.

just saw the highlights of him.

Yes Please.

Se what i saw on those highlights was a guy who would go and high-point the ball. He caught with his hands, not a body catcher.

I notice a lot of recievers juggle the ball as they catch it now a days. The game is so fast it's tough to make a clean catch. However with more practice you can get better.

Agree 100%. That's why I think this guy could be not just good, but "really" good with next level coaching.

... ravens fans seem pretty pumped about him ... don't think he'd fall past them ... so tanny would have to give something else up to jump the ravens ...

... anyway, i want to see BAP at cb, dl, olb with both our 1st & 2nd picks ...

l_j_r

doesn't matter what fans think about a player from any team. It's what the FO and coaches think of the player that matter.

Archived