Pennington won't restructure?

GlennFoley

But next year will bring questions as well. The Jets could ask Tom Condon, Pennington's agent, to restructure the contract extension he signed last year - something Pennington seemed reluctant to consider.

"I've paid a price for this organization, and I think [general manager] Terry Bradway, [assistant GM] Mike Tannenbaum and Coach Edwards understand that," he said. "I've put it out there, on the line for this organization, hurt, not hurt. You name it, I've done it. So I don't think that will ever be a problem."

But Pennington said he expected the Jets to bring in a young QB in the draft, and even welcomed such a move.

"It's only in the best interests of the organization, to make sure every position is solidified," he said. "That only makes our team better, and I'm a team guy. I know when fully healthy, I can compete with anybody. Competition doesn't scare me or bother me."

"I've paid a price for this organization, and I think [general manager] Terry Bradway, [assistant GM] Mike Tannenbaum and Coach Edwards understand that," he said."

Let me get this straight.

The Jets pay PennyBoy $24 million with an "upfront, guananteed signing bonus" and have basically got nothing in return through his performance on the football field, and he has the balls to say "I've paid the price for this organization"? :shock:

Anybody else think the Jets are the ones who got the short end of the stick in this situation?

And now he won't restructure to give the Jets some much needed cap relief?

Wow. :shock:

The Jets pay PennyBoy $24 million with an "upfront, guananteed signing bonus" and have basically got nothing in return through his performance on the football field, and he has the balls to say "I've paid the price for this organization"? :shock:

Anybody else think the Jets are the ones who got the short end of the stick in this situation?

Conveniently, teh rest of his comment was left out.

He said he would deal with that situation when it comes up.

here is what it comes down to-The part that hurts the Jets the most on thsi is the signing bonus. There is no way the Jets can recoup that and you just can't "return" that money. Th eplayers association would throw a stink, and there is no way that would be allowed to happen. That money is gone. That is crying over spilled milk.

Now, there are remaining roster bonuses that are due-Those can be negotiated. As well, if penny should stay on the roster, base salary can be re-nogotoiated, perhaps in forms of attainable playing time and performance bonuses.

Fact of it all is, the bonuses are what count to teh cap most if Penny can't continue his career. That is money spent, and won't be returned. That is an inherent risk that the club knew when they signed him. That is football. This is how the contracts work.

The initial post in this thread is incorrect saying that Chad has declined to renegotiate, though. That was a trollish post

nice use of the word trollish dierk :lol:

the brass gambled on chad & lost........ there is no good solution to recoup

lost money on him except maybe to share a stadium or something(bad joke I know)

we will be complaining about this gamble for years & the cap hits will haunt us

but whats worse the reminders we'll recieve from tx

:x

Honestly, it sucks we're saddled with the Chad cap-hit. But asking him to (and expecting him to) restructure a deal that would be less beneficial than the one he's got is ludicrous. Love him or hate him, he's been a solid, team-oriented guy. He played half a season with his shoulder shredded and kept a game face on throughout. He worked like a madman to start this season and took another bad shot to his shoulder, a shot that could end his career and will most certainly devalue him as a player should he ever seek a job elswhere. He was mishandled and manhandled and still he did all he could. He Even offered to give Coles his own cash to lure him away from the Skins. He's shown class and guts and now he's looking at what could be the end of his career as a franchise QB. Now, give us back all our money Chad. You got hurt playing football for us. Rediculous. This contract was a front-office fuc*-up. Not Chad's fault and not his problem. It's our problem.

If he's going to demand every penny of his money he will be on the street before next season. I think BZ is right-he wants to come back, and will restructure to ease the Jets' cap pain. He did it for Coles. But he isn't going to do it in the middle of the season nor is Bradway. Fault him for his physical misfortune or his weak arm, but don't forget that Pennington is a good guy.

If he's going to demand every penny of his money he will be on the street before next season. I think BZ is right-he wants to come back, and will restructure to ease the Jets' cap pain. He did it for Coles. But he isn't going to do it in the middle of the season nor is Bradway. Fault him for his physical misfortune or his weak arm, but don't forget that Pennington is a good guy.

Right on Bugg!

Hey, I have to make a big deal when we agree.

:)

BZ

its true tx penny was a big mistake. carumba

Archived