Hutchinson suggests

Scott Dierking

In troday's Ledger that the Chad surgery was much more invasive and that the problem is much more than Chad led on in his press conference.

He cites 2 team sources that there is much concern in the organization as to the stability of the joint in teh future, as well as other potential problems.

Chad did not want Pellman, or any Jet doctor to go to teh podium with him, and there may be reasons for that.

You know what-It just doesn't matter at this point. The Jet FO HAS TO approach the QB position next year as if Chad will not be there. They can't hinge (sorry for the pun) the position on Chad anymore.

The worse case scenario then as that we wind up in a San Diego type dilemna, which wouldn't be a bad situation.

Time to move on, and hope you get lucky. You neeed to get lucky in your next selection, and hope you get lucky with Chad.

What has been the constant thread through all of this, is that there appears to be a chasm between what the Jets believe and what the organization believes.

That has been consistent since the injury aftere he jacksonville game. The Jets really appear to be distancing themselves from Chad, already, and seem to be setting the stage for something.

It is unusual, already at this juncture, for them to be floating discrepancies. And don't think for one minute that this floating is done without some pre-conceived effort.

what they are setting the stage for, I am unsure. But it appears that they are determined already

while the brass is slow to concede to poor decisions on qb, I'm thinking Vinnies pass to coles in the 1st drive may have opened their eyes to what a qb should throw like

jw-It was a calculated risk that they took on CP, and I can understand it to a degree. I clearly remember at the signing, legions of Jet fans supported the signing, endorsed the signing, and back-slapped the FO.

What you hear now is 2nd guessing at its best art form.

The signing was understandable in several senses:

-The Jets need to get through the Big 3 signings-Pennington, Abe and Ellis. They needed to create some closure.

-At the time of the signing-The WSS was hot and heavy. Woody needed a face plate to attch to that project. Chad was that face plate. He is a NY QB, marketable, well spoken and down to earth. Woody envisioned him being the flag bearer for the franchise inot its new history.

It all crashed and burned.

Jets need to approach QB next year as if Chad will NEVER be there again. What I mean is that they cants ay we thoink he will start again someday so we wont get a premier free agent or send a #1 pick to SD for Brees/Rivers etc...Jets need to say we have t oact as if we have no viable QB at all,,,,,,,

dierk, you're right & I was ok with the signing though pricy.

my post was in hindsight as I am an excellent 2nd guesser.

this year however, the brass refused to admit that chads arm was never nfl worthy & he never should have taken a snap from center. we the fans could not know this but the brass did

Jets need to approach QB next year as if Chad will NEVER be there again. What I mean is that they cants ay we thoink he will start again someday so we wont get a premier free agent or send a #1 pick to SD for Brees/Rivers etc...Jets need to say we have t oact as if we have no viable QB at all,,,,,,,

EXACTLY!

What has been the constant thread through all of this, is that there appears to be a chasm between what the Jets believe and what the organization believes.

That has been consistent since the injury aftere he jacksonville game. The Jets really appear to be distancing themselves from Chad, already, and seem to be setting the stage for something.

It is unusual, already at this juncture, for them to be floating discrepancies. And don't think for one minute that this floating is done without some pre-conceived effort.

what they are setting the stage for, I am unsure. But it appears that they are determined already

i am not a salary cap expert but my understanding of the cap is that the best thing that can happen w/this situation is that chad retires and the jets can prorate the SB over the life of the original contract. while this will keep dead $ on the cap longer it prevents a huge hit over 1 or 2 years.

jw-It was a calculated risk that they took on CP, and I can understand it to a degree. I clearly remember at the signing, legions of Jet fans supported the signing, endorsed the signing, and back-slapped the FO.

Scott, you like to put alot of weight into "what the fans think" as if it has anything to do with the decision making process. It doesn't.

The last 4 or 5 games of the 2002 season, Chad Pennington showed clear signs of being a legitimate, franchise QB in the NFL. Very few people (yes, including fans) disagreed.

But whether or not you were pro-Chad or not, everybody is entitled to "second guess" Bradways decision to sign him to that monster contract.

I think it was a decision that was made off of emotion, and for the fact Chad saved his (and Herm's) bacon. Unfortunately, it also prolonged Hacketts career as an OC in NY.

Scott, you like to put alot of weight into "what the fans think" as if it has anything to do with the decision making process. It doesn't.

The last 4 or 5 games of the 2002 season, Chad Pennington showed clear signs of being a legitimate, franchise QB in the NFL. Very few people (yes, including fans) disagreed.

But whether or not you were pro-Chad or not, everybody is entitled to "second guess" Bradways decision to sign him to that monster contract.

I think it was a decision that was made off of emotion, and for the fact Chad saved his (and Herm's) bacon. Unfortunately, it also prolonged Hacketts career as an OC in NY.

Moses-I don't equate what the front office does to what fans feel. No FO works that way.

What I find funny, and hypocritical is that the majority of fans (not all, I grant you) supported the Chad signing at the time. Now, they (Jet FO) are dumb for doing it.

Yes, second guessing is part of the game, but it should be done fairly. Second guessing and hindsight is 20/20.

Anybody can do that.

Is that what happened Barry Sanders retired?

I can't recall. That is an interesting angle.

Also, in the Barry Sanders deal, Barry was forced to return SB money back, as I recall. I don't know if it had an effect on teh cap though.

I can only imagine Penny's agent tellling him "not to retire". Who knows what the kid will do if it comes to that though.

i am not a salary cap expert but my understanding of the cap is that the best thing that can happen w/this situation is that chad retires and the jets can prorate the SB over the life of the original contract. while this will keep dead $ on the cap longer it prevents a huge hit over 1 or 2 years

Moses-I don't equate what the front office does to what fans feel. No FO works that way.

What I find funny, and hypocritical is that the majority of fans (not all, I grant you) supported the Chad signing at the time. Now, they (Jet FO) are dumb for doing it.

Yes, second guessing is part of the game, but it should be done fairly. Second guessing and hindsight is 20/20.

Anybody can do that.

Agreed, but fans second guessing or doing an about face on any personell decision made by Bradway or Herm should not validate or discredit a decision either way.

Whether a fan is demonstrating hypocricy or not has no bearing on whether or not the decision was right or wrong.

It is what it is.

For example, after the game in KC, Herm actually said "Well, the fans wanted to see the shotgun, well, this is it" as if it's all their fault it didn't work (that day).

Excellent observation and I agree. The reason for the Jets seperating themselves - I believe - is the fact that Chad will not be on the team next year. I believe the Jets feel he is done and Chad does not or is in denial. This is perhaps a way of letting the fans know he is done - before the ultimatem and the subsequent cutting of chad happens after the season. jmo opinion though.

Excellent observation and I agree. The reason for the Jets seperating themselves - I believe - is the fact that Chad will not be on the team next year. I believe the Jets feel he is done and Chad does not or is in denial. This is perhaps a way of letting the fans know he is done - before the ultimatem and the subsequent cutting of chad happens after the season. jmo opinion though.

I also agree that the discrepancies are purposeful.

They're covering all the bases on this one.

RSherry, they may very well be setting the stage to cut Chad after this season, but it could also be that they are playing their hand now with his agent, for renegotiation purposes.

What you hear now is 2nd guessing at its best art form.

The signing was understandable in several senses:

-The Jets need to get through the Big 3 signings-Pennington, Abe and Ellis. They needed to create some closure.

-At the time of the signing-The WSS was hot and heavy. Woody needed a face plate to attch to that project. Chad was that face plate. He is a NY QB, marketable, well spoken and down to earth. Woody envisioned him being the flag bearer for the franchise inot its new history.

It all crashed and burned.

You know, some of us more astute fans RIPPED Chad's signing at the time. In fact, some of us called it the worst move ever by a GM in the history of NY sports, at the time.

Man, those fans would look pretty smart right about now, huh? Know any of 'em?? :wink:

Tell you one thing for sure-between Martin and Pennington, seriously doubt the Jets or any NFL team is going to rush to give any player a 6 or 7 year deal.It's just bad business. This whole cap mess is a big cautionary tale. And for the most aprt, the Jets wer bidding against themselves, especially in the years in Martin's contract after last year.

IF Pennington wants to play hardball, he can forget being an NFL QB here or any where.The Jets won't depend on him any more. Once he gets over the shock of this awfulness, he will restructure, agetn be damned, and see if he can play. But the days of him being the #1 QB heading into camp are over, no matter who's running this team in 2006.

Kinda shocked Pellman is still around after he got exposed in the MLB/steroid Congressional hearings.

Don't be naive Scott. The Jets told Penny he wouldn't face a more severe injury if he played last season with that "bruise" that turned out to be a labrum/rc tear and it worked--he got them into the playoffs. Now that he's down and out, the Jets want to portray it that it's an unfortunate, devastating injury that's just tough luck. What's the common thread there? Both twists of the truth keep Bradway and Herman employed. They gambled and lost. Hasta la Vista Herm and TB, and take your mangled QB with you.

Don't be naive Scott. The Jets told Penny he wouldn't face a more severe injury if he played last season with that "bruise" that turned out to be a labrum/rc tear and it worked--he got them into the playoffs. Now that he's down and out, the Jets want to portray it that it's an unfortunate, devastating injury that's just tough luck. What's the common thread there? Both twists of the truth keep Bradway and Herman employed. They gambled and lost. Hasta la Vista Herm and TB, and take your mangled QB with you.

Are you suggesting that the Jets witheld the info that it was a tear to Chad?

They have acknowledged that they knew it was a tear from teh get-go (supposedly). I can't say that info jiving

Are you suggesting that the Jets witheld the info that it was a tear to Chad?

They have acknowledged that they knew it was a tear from teh get-go (supposedly). I can't say that info jiving

I think they turned their head the other way and letChad talk himself into playing with a potentially career-threatening injury and prayed that he wouldn't hit the deck too hard. It took 6 months, but he finally hit the deck. If you remember, after the Buffalo game last season when Chad was hurt, they called it a bruise. Granted, they weren't about to tell the opposition that he had a torn labrum, but to play him with that injury was as foolish then as it is in retrospect, now.

Tom-If that is true, then that is the height of stupididty.

Not only were they gambling on a player, they were gambling on a setback to the org and the cap that is immeasurable.

That flies in the face of logic, and would be a tough pill to swallow.

Yet it's the only way to look at it unless we want to believe that it took the Jets team doctors, as well as James Andrews, nearly 6 weeks to figure out it was a rc and labrum tear and not a bruise.

Pretty obvious that Pennington has no warm cuddly feelings for Elliott Pellman, MD, by way of some Gudalajara or Grenada med school. People do strange things when unemployment looms. And may be last year's "Chad can play, right Elliott?" was such a case.Gotta say, between this and the steroid fiasco, the Jets must be one of the few paying customers Pellman still has.

Archived