Heat turned up on Brian Billick

shawn306

Okay so I am listening to ESPN radio this morning and Chris Mortenson says that since the Ravens are underachieving this year Brian Billick could be in trouble as the coach of the Ravens. With Fassel in wings and the team starting to POSSIBLY spiral out of control. (21 penalities last week). The question is this.

If Brian Billick were to be fired by the Ravens, how quickly are you on the phone to see if he would be interested in coaching the Jets ?

Profootballtalk.com had something psoted on Billick catching heat as well.

Supposedly he was kicked out of Sunday's game and when asked about it, he shrugged his shoulders.

Billick got an unbelieveable amount of credit for Dennis Green's offenses in Minnesota. He got a great job, great pay and a SuperBowl ring, living off another man's rep.

I'll say it right now. The idiots from Profootballtalk.com that claimed that Henderson ruined his chances with the Giants incident will sh*t themselves when four jobs become available, and Hendu has his pick of either one:

Baltimore, Houston, Minnesota, St. Louis.

If Henderson were to land that Ravens job, watch out. No way in hell he stays here.

I'll say it right now. The idiots from Profootballtalk.com that claimed that Henderson ruined his chances with the Giants incident will Sh#t themselves when four jobs become available, and Hendu has his pick of either one:

Baltimore, Houston, Minnesota, St. Louis.

If Henderson were to land that Ravens job, watch out. No way in hell he stays here.

as I said in another thread i think Jets fans are overrating Donnie's prospects as a HC, also his desire to be a HC. Some guys like Jimmy JOhnson on the eagles are DC's for life and thats not a bad thing. Donnie's proven he can be a great DC but that doesn't always translate into being a great HC. a guy like Billick, for all his faults would be ahead on the HC short list for all those jobs except the one he just got fired from. Ditto a guy like Holmgren. Owners/GM's want experienced HCs most of the time, this whole elevating guys beyond their previous position that the Jets under Bradway have done is a relatively unique phenomenon in this league.

as I said in another thread i think Jets fans are overrating Donnie's prospects as a HC, also his desire to be a HC.

Peter Principle

NOUN: The theory that employees within an organization will advance to their highest level of competence and then be promoted to and remain at a level at which they are incompetent.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/4/P0220400.html

BZ

Billick may be a tool. Fiugre the players and management have probably had enough of him and his tired act. They got a Super bowl out of it, so it's hardly a total waste.

But I'm missing how a nation-wide problem of young guys, including NFL players, acting like thugs falls on him or Donnie Henderson(funny, but they don't mention Marv Lewis, who ran the defense for a good chunk fo the time Hendersonw as also there). They've tolerated all of Ray Lewis's antics from Day 1 and never said boo and now Billick's supposed to turn into Marshall Dillon or Andy Sipowicz and put his foot down. Not happening. And to think as mild a fellow as Jim Fassel will suddenly put the big foot down to stop it is about the funniest thing I've ever heard.

as I said in another thread i think Jets fans are overrating Donnie's prospects as a HC, also his desire to be a HC. Some guys like Jimmy JOhnson on the eagles are DC's for life and thats not a bad thing. Donnie's proven he can be a great DC but that doesn't always translate into being a great HC. a guy like Billick, for all his faults would be ahead on the HC short list for all those jobs except the one he just got fired from. Ditto a guy like Holmgren. Owners/GM's want experienced HCs most of the time, this whole elevating guys beyond their previous position that the Jets under Bradway have done is a relatively unique phenomenon in this league.

Bit, some of that may be true, but I disagree with you on the experience part. The last few hirings have proven otherwise. The league has gotten tired of the rehashed, worn out old coaching circle. Guys like Dom Capers are done, finished. It's the Jim Mora's, the Lovie Smiths, the Mike Mularkey's, the Mike Nolan's that are getting attention.

You would think that GM's want experienced HC, yet many of the guys that I mentioned have served very few years as coordinators. Jon Gruden became HC of the Raiders after three years as an OC. Del Rio is doing a good job in Jax after serving only 2 years as DC.

It all points to GMs and owners breaking the mold, wanting new blood and fresh ideas. Henderson has proved that he can provide that.

Yes, we do not know whether Donnie wants to stay put or move up, but I doubt that the job he has done here has gone unnoticed. Donnie does have the tools to succeed, whether or not he actually does is another matter.

Gregg Willaims had his shot and did not do well, as did Ray Rhodes. Sure, Donnie could bust, but so could Tedford, or some other college coach or Asst. The point is, Henderson ahs done a fanastic job here and he will have the option of going elsewhere.

Hell, if Ted Cotrell could be in the running for the Niners job, why wouldn't Henderson? The only reason why he would not be a candidate is because he chose not to be.

I don't think I am personally putting too much stock into what Donnie Henderson ahs done and is capable of. He coaches in the biggest city in the country, has one of the best defenses in the league, and has gotten his players to shine, particularly Vilma as a rookie MLB and Coleman and Rhodes as safeties.

That nevr goes unnoticed, especially when you look at the piss poor job his predecessor is doing, despite the talent and influx of draft pciks and free agent acquisitions.

Archived