1. 1. Should we sign LT?

• Yes, he would fit in nicely as a complementary back
    • No, he's finished.
    • I don't care one way or the other.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really? LaDanian Tomlinson "sucks?"

Well considering your love for Kerry Rhodes, I'll take this assessment with a grain of salt. It's been a rough offseason for you.

Second time you've made a comment like this in this thread and both times you look ridiculous, not only is it irrelevant it's false, that "love" for Rhodes is long gone. I knew he was going this off-season the second I heard he was benched. He was a good safety though, just a complete and utter tool with a terrible attitude.

As for Tomlinson, yes in contrast to around 90% of the backs in this league he does suck. A former great, no doubt and he will rightfully remembered as one of the best the game has seen but I don't want him here for the same reason I wouldn't want Barry Sanders or Marshall Faulk here.

Second time you've made a comment like this in this thread and both times you look ridiculous, not only is it irrelevant it's false, that "love" for Rhodes is long gone. I knew he was going this off-season the second I heard he was benched. He was a good safety though, just a complete and utter tool with a terrible attitude.

As for Tomlinson, yes in contrast to around 90% of the backs in this league he does suck. A former great, no doubt and he will rightfully remembered as one of the best the game has seen but I don't want him here for the same reason I wouldn't want Barry Sanders or Marshall Faulk here.

Alright, let's do this exercise.

Let's all admit that the boat on TJ sailed, it is gone. The Jets neither wanted him, nor did he want them under the current status. That is done.

This leaves the Jets with a huge ?????? in Leon Washington. They don't know what they have.

It leaves them inexperienced behind that ??????

Not an enviable position.

What are their options, with the avenues that the Jets currently have open to them, that you like better than LT?

My opinion, is this gives them someone who they know what they are getting something from, do not have to go with a high draft choice, and will not be unproven. Trump that.

Your a dollar short buddy.

Disagree.

His post, and new thread, has been a much greater contribution to JN over the past 3 days of LT mania than the blathering by most about gas tanks, tire tread and yards per carry.

Not to mention the post 50+ posts I've seen from the same 2-3 people "thanking" the Jets front office as if they exist in the JN ether...

LT's statline from two years ago:

16 games, 315 carries, 1474 yards, 4.7 YPA, 15 TD, 60 receptions 475 yards, 3 TD.

I'd take that.

Damn, I'd take that too. However I was thinking of '08, he hasn't been the same. Like I said I really hope it works out.

Signing an old washed up cry baby RB is insane. We should have looked at youth. RB's are a dime a dozen and its a young man's position. Hopefully LT proves me wrong but me no likey.

And it amazes me that so many people cant see those who are taking a similar stance point of view.

Your point about "youth" is baseless because:

(1) signing LT doesn't preclude the Jets from drafting a RB, and

(2) there is no "youth" out there available right now for the Jets to sign.

UNLESS, you want the Jets to sign Pierre Thomas who wants STARTER MONEY and will cost a 2nd rounder.

Is that what you're saying the Jets should do? Should they sign Pierre Thomas to be the backup, but at starter money and give up a 2nd?

Another thought that recently crossed my mind that I had not considered in the Jets effectively replacing Jones with LT. Outside of the items already discussed such as any willingness / locker room issues associated with Jones taking a backup role, I'm also not so sure he's the type of player built to be a backup. Jones is one of those players who, as he's even said himself, needs a bunch of carries to get into a rhythm. He's not the kind of guy who can come into a game, touch the ball and be off to the races. A quick look at his career shows he's struggled greatly in seasons where he didn't see a significant number of carries, with the only exception being 2003 with Tampa Bay.

That fact seemed to become even more clear once you realize how greatly his numbers dipped once Greene started to get the bulk of the team's carries. It was more than just the injury, as he was already banged up before that switch happened, but it was clear that without the bulk of carries, Jones was never able to really get going. That's fine when you're the starter, but its not the kind of thing you want as your backup.

Meanwhile, that is a trait I don't think LT really has, at least not to the same extent. Add in his versatility in the passing game, and he makes a much more appealing option as Greene's backup in this offense and particularly as an outlet for Sanchez.

Another thought that recently crossed my mind that I had not considered in the Jets effectively replacing Jones with LT. Outside of the items already discussed such as any willingness / locker room issues associated with Jones taking a backup role, I'm also not so sure he's the type of player built to be a backup. Jones is one of those players who, as he's even said himself, needs a bunch of carries to get into a rhythm. He's not the kind of guy who can come into a game, touch the ball and be off to the races. A quick look at his career shows he's struggled greatly in seasons where he didn't see a significant number of carries, with the only exception being 2003 with Tampa Bay.

That fact seemed to become even more clear once you realize how greatly his numbers dipped once Greene started to get the bulk of the team's carries. It was more than just the injury, as he was already banged up before that switch happened, but it was clear that without the bulk of carries, Jones was never able to really get going. That's fine when you're the starter, but its not the kind of thing you want as your backup.

Meanwhile, that is a trait I don't think LT really has, at least not to the same extent. Add in his versatility in the passing game, and he makes a much more appealing option as Greene's backup in this offense and particularly as an outlet for Sanchez.

I believe the Jets questioned how Jones would be productive in a back-up role. He always appeared to be one of those backs that needed to "get in the flow of the game" in order to start hitting his stride.

Jones was a notorious slow starter in games, and I am not sure how that would have played coming off the bench.

I believe the Jets questioned how Jones would be productive in a back-up role. He always appeared to be one of those backs that needed to "get in the flow of the game" in order to start hitting his stride.

Jones was a notorious slow starter in games, and I am not sure how that would have played coming off the bench.

plus he doesnt have pass catching 3rd down skills, which is whats needed as insurance concerning Leon. Plus he has been a #1 in case Greene is injured or ends up sucking.

today is saint paddys dday ive been drinking since 9 thios morning and i come home to this newsss fomaminallllllllllllllllllllll

One of the greatest first posts of all time.

Welcome to the site! Please post again in two days so we can see how hammered you are the actual St. Patrick's Day. Thanks!

Your point about "youth" is baseless because:

(1) signing LT doesn't preclude the Jets from drafting a RB, and

(2) there is no "youth" out there available right now for the Jets to sign.

UNLESS, you want the Jets to sign Pierre Thomas who wants STARTER MONEY and will cost a 2nd rounder.

Is that what you're saying the Jets should do? Should they sign Pierre Thomas to be the backup, but at starter money and give up a 2nd?

I dont get whats so hard for you to understand here SMC. The full blown conclusion that Greene has solidified the starting position IMO is a bit premature. We dont know that he can handle carrying the load, we dont know if injuries will continue to plague his career, we dont know if he was just a flash in the pan. We dont know what Leon will be....THUS, LT might be more than a back up. Hence why LT signed wit the Jets. IMO LT decided to sign with the Jets because they want him to play a big role in the offense, otherwise, I dont see LT coming to the Jets.

RB's are a dime a dozen. You can find youth stuck on rosters where their are players in front of them, or you can draft one. And stop using Pierre Thomas as your saving grace here, throwing out one name to please your agument isnt helping your cause.

LT is a washed up cry baby pusswah who has been injury riddled for 2 years. He is quite possibly done. And the Jets might have to rely on him to carry the load. IMO thats not a good thing. I hope I'm wrong.

if he is used arounf the goal line and to spell the other guys, great signing

if we was promised a chance to compete for the #1 job, could be tricky

it's a head scratcher why they dumped an old guy to sign an old guy, but at least it takes the pressure off to use a draft pick on a RB

if he is used arounf the goal line and to spell the other guys, great signing

if we was promised a chance to compete for the #1 job, could be tricky

it's a head scratcher why they dumped an old guy to sign an old guy, but at least it takes the pressure off to use a draft pick on a RB

Because they wanted someone with experience, and wanted to be sure that guy could thrive in a back up role.

This should not be a LT vs TJ debate when looking at them as starters. This should be an LT vs TJ debate when looking at them as back-ups.

I am guessing the Jets thought LT could me more versatile and would thrive better in the back up role.

That is what this is about.

Someone does not sign a low (relatively) contract, thinking they have a chance to earn the starting role, and then only get 500k in incentives.

LT brings us a dimention we have lacked for a long time. A true pass recieving threat out of the backfield. Those who think this guys done have it wrong IMO.

Norv Turner changed the SD offense in a big way and it took alot of focus OFF LT. He had some nagging injuries over the past 2 - 3 years and it limited his carries which may have also added a few years to his career. If we get the healthy LT as a thrid down back Teams will have no choice but to respect that giving our offense even more balance than when we Signed Braylon Edwards.

The one thing that Leon Lacks is his vision behind the LOS. This is why he has not put up good numbers while running the ball he does get tackled for losses and aweful lot and he is more of a BIG PLAY guy not a consistent guy that we NEED. He is also nothing special with screen passes. Leon does much better in open space LT knows how to gain yards in tight spaces (the goalline for instance) and thats the difference, Vision. TJ had great Vision as well but he went down like a sack of potatoes when hit. LT's center of gravity and strong legs make him a huge asset at the goal line and in short yardage situations when you might see both him and Greene in the backfield to keep the defense off balance.

SMC, you forgot Brad Smith 11.5 YPC ...

I know I'm going to sound like one of our resident nutbags, but I think that the Jets should have used Smith more out of the backfield. Not that I think/thought he could be the #1 back, but the fact is, the guy averaged over 10ypc. At least ride him until the average dropped down to a more normal level.

Why are you guys debating this stuff to the point of not making a point? You're just getting yourselves aggravated.

Listen, I was against this pickup as well, but I am willing to see what happens next season...if he pans out, fine. I will eat my words (I hope I do). If it doesn't, then we move on and hopefully he wasn't the reason why we had a so so season.

Complainian Tomlinson is now a Jet. I'm not angry, but I am in NO WAY thrilled. I loved the guy when he was good, but he hasn't been good for over 2 years. And last year he was REAL bad.

I was happy we cut TJ, but signing LaDanian is a lateral step at best.

I understand it from the standpoint that Tomlinson can potentially be a better backup than Jones because the skill set he still are exentuated by the complimentary role, while the skill set that Jones has are less important for a back up RB.

Either way I don't why it seems to be such a big deal cause the fact of the matter is the season won't be decided by our complimentary RB. It hinges on the defense, Sanchez, and Greene.

Everyone keeps saying "he's a back up, he's a back up". Well, he might not be. Greene is injury prone and who knows if he can be a starter. Leon may never be the same. If Murphy Law comes into play here, then LT just became our starter. That sucks because he sucks. And then what if one of his injuries surface. The Jets will be officially ****ed in the one area that is most important to their offense.

This is no different than our WR position. If Cotch or Edwards go down, we are F'd at that position. So whats the solution? Go sign a Joey Galloway type? No thanks. Dont know why its pretty much unanimous that with our WR need that everyone wants a young stud. Why is the RB position different? Especially considering that its a position for the youth of the league.

Dude.. just other day you were loving on Tanny and now you are hating on hmi for the exact same reason. The jets have a ton of high priced talent and no depth, if the injury bug hits next year on the oline or secondary, this team is in big trouble. In no way will we be able to win through injuries the way the Pats do regularly of late. That's been the strategy as of late, whether it's for PSL's or for whatever, it's a big departure from the strategy we started with that lead to 4-12 in 2007.

Lets hope the depth gamble pays off, and Sanchez develops cause this should be a legit SB team if so..

Dude.. just other day you were loving on Tanny and now you are hating on hmi for the exact same reason. The jets have a ton of high priced talent and no depth, if the injury bug hits next year on the oline or secondary, this team is in big trouble. In no way will we be able to win through injuries the way the Pats do regularly of late. That's been the strategy as of late, whether it's for PSL's or for whatever, it's a big departure from the strategy we started with that lead to 4-12 in 2007.

Lets hope the depth gamble pays off, and Sanchez develops cause this should be a legit SB team if so..

Yeah, I wonder what would have happened to the D if we lost Kris Jenkins last year. :rolleyes:

I think our coaching staff and front office have clearly demonstrated that they know a hell of a lot more about our backups than us jagoffs on the internet.

Everyone's getting so worked up about this 'starter/back-up' argument.

You realize the starter is just the guy who's in for the first play. And if Washington is healthy, the Jets will have 3 guys capable of taking hand-offs, all who have different styles. Barring injuries, does anyone believe that this move means that LT is going to get the bulk of the carries?

The shift was made late in the season to Shonn Greene, and while we don't know what he'll be as a long term answer, we know he's the guy we had the most successful stretch of our season behind. We also saw what happened to our offense when he was lost in the Colts game.

I think it's safe to say we're going to be mixing it up, and while LT may not have fresh legs, career wise, he will have fresh enough legs each game to be a contributor, in the roles he's asked to fill.

We're going to run the ball by committee, it's really not about who's the starter, who's the back-up, and I very much expect our running game to be able to wear teams down in the same manner as last year. In fact, I expect it to be even better because I believe we'll be more effective through the air.

You realize the starter is just the guy who's in for the first play. And if Washington is healthy, the Jets will have 3 guys capable of taking hand-offs, all who have different styles. Barring injuries, does anyone believe that this move means that LT is going to get the bulk of the carries?

The shift was made late in the season to Shonn Greene, and while we don't know what he'll be as a long term answer, we know he's the guy we had the most successful stretch of our season behind. We also saw what happened to our offense when he was lost in the Colts game.

I think it's safe to say we're going to be mixing it up, and while LT may not have fresh legs, career wise, he will have fresh enough legs each game to be a contributor, in the roles he's asked to fill.

We're going to run the ball by committee, it's really not about who's the starter, who's the back-up, and I very much expect our running game to be able to wear teams down in the same manner as last year. In fact, I expect it to be even better because I believe we'll be more effective through the air.

Also, too little is being made about the OL. The OL is the key to a running game...and we have (arguably) the best one in the league.

Also, too little is being made about the OL. The OL is the key to a running game...and we have (arguably) the best one in the league.

Completely agree.

I don't think we're going to see LT the superstar, but I do think we'll get a better LT than we've seen in the past two years.

I can agree to an extent that Tanny is gambling on the health of the team and our talent being SB level, but I think this is the offseason to address depth and the future because we have such strength in our starters and there's really no position where we are going to draft an immediate starter.

I hate to say it CTM, but I agree with Kleck here. We lost our best offensive weapon and what we thought was the anchor to our defense in Big Jenk last season and we did alright. Defensively, I think Rex proved his scheme is more important than his players...or maybe I've just underrated our depth because on more than one occasion we were down a key player for a variety of reasons, Big Jenk, Calvin, Strickland, Sheppard, Ellis.

I've complimented Tanny on his aggressiveness to make this team better via draft and FA and even though I dont agree with this move, it is something to be excited about in a sense because its clear players want to come here now and we have a GM that can make it happen.

The problem that I have with this move particular and why the depth issue bcomes a problem is that we have question marks at RB right now. We dont have that any where else on the team. Every other position is solidified with healthy proven players. Granted nobody's safe from injury but like I've stated, I dont think we know what we have in Greene (injuries, can he carry the load, was he a flash in the pan, etc), we dont know what we have in Leon and we just signed a player we know everything about...he's injury prone whiny pusswah on the decline who disappears in the clutch. Knowing this is a run first offense and Sanchez is likely to experience a sophomore slump, I dont like this signing.

So not I'm not lovin and hatin for the exact same reason. Right now, we are in a great position to add to the depth that maybe we might actually be underrating. When I look at this team, I see depth issues at WR, CB, OL. We can add that depth this offseason and we've started to already.

I hope LT shreds the league here, obviously, but I pray Greene stays healthy and can carry the load even more because I just dont know about LT.

Thats not my bone. My bone is the injury and uncertainty aspect of the position. And LT doest elevate that problem...IMO.

Which btw if Mangold or D'Brick got hurt...we're ****ed (reference to JIF here).

Seriously the all time most ridiculous arguement in sports is depth, "if our starters go down we're screwed" NO S**T!!!! Works for every team in every sport. Minus maybe the Yankees any teams star or stars go down the team is screwed regardless of depth.

Who exactly do you/we want to back up every starter at every position???? (rhetorical not pointing at you Gato)

LT brings us a dimention we have lacked for a long time. A true pass recieving threat out of the backfield. Those who think this guys done have it wrong IMO.

Norv Turner changed the SD offense in a big way and it took alot of focus OFF LT. He had some nagging injuries over the past 2 - 3 years and it limited his carries which may have also added a few years to his career. If we get the healthy LT as a thrid down back Teams will have no choice but to respect that giving our offense even more balance than when we Signed Braylon Edwards.

The one thing that Leon Lacks is his vision behind the LOS. This is why he has not put up good numbers while running the ball he does get tackled for losses and aweful lot and he is more of a BIG PLAY guy not a consistent guy that we NEED. He is also nothing special with screen passes. Leon does much better in open space LT knows how to gain yards in tight spaces (the goalline for instance) and thats the difference, Vision. TJ had great Vision as well but he went down like a sack of potatoes when hit. LT's center of gravity and strong legs make him a huge asset at the goal line and in short yardage situations when you might see both him and Greene in the backfield to keep the defense off balance.

I'm sorry. Maybe you made a typo, but did you just suggest that Thomas Jones had great vision? Mr. I run up Nick Mangold's colon come hell or high water? And at the same time, say the opposite about Leon, back who actually has change of direction vision - and the skill to get there - when the first hole is closed?

No way I just read that. Must be a whole typo paragraph.

Yeah, I wonder what would have happened to the D if we lost Kris Jenkins last year. :rolleyes:

I think our coaching staff and front office have clearly demonstrated that they know a hell of a lot more about our backups than us jagoffs on the internet.

I hate to say it CTM, b ut I agree with Kleck here. We lost our best offensive weapon and what we thought was the anchor to our defense in Big Jenk last season and we did alright. Defensively, I think Rex proved his scheme is more important than his players...or maybe I've just underrated our depth because on more than one occasion we were down a key player for a variety of reasons, Big Jenk, Calvin, Strickland, Sheppard, Ellis.

You guys may have thought that, but there was plenty who didn't.. regardless.. losign a third down back who wasn't doing in **** in the middle of the season and a part time DT whose back up played better then he did does not qualify as an injury bug...

Archived