1 member has voted

1. 1. Should we sign LT?

• Yes, he would fit in nicely as a complementary back
    • No, he's finished.
    • I don't care one way or the other.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Jets | LT scheduled to visit

Comment (0) twitter.jpg facebook.jpgThu, 11 Mar 2010 08:21:52 -0800

Adam Schefter, of ESPN, reports the New York Jets are scheduled to meet with unrestricted free-agent RB LaDainian Tomlinson (Chargers) Friday, March 12, if he does not sign with the Minnesota Vikings before the visit.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0hszV9LjV

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The interweb is so speedy!

LaDainian Tomlinson to the Jets?

5 m ago By Bob Glauber

LaDainian Tomlinson is in Minnesota today for a visit with the Vikings, who are in the market for a running back after Chester Taylor signed a free agent deal with the Bears.

And if Tomlinson leaves Minnesota today without a deal? He's heading for the Jets, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Hmmm.

We'd been getting indications last week that the Jets weren't all that interested in Tomlinson, which in retrospect might have been their way of trying to stay under the radar with a player who could be a replacement for Thomas Jones.

Tomlinson makes sense at a few levels now that Jones has signed a two-year, $5 million deal with the Chiefs. He's a veteran presence behind starter Shonn Greene, he has familiarity with Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer when the two worked together in San Diego. And he is an insurance policy in the event Leon Washington is limited in his recovery from a fractured fibula.

By the end of the day, it might all be a moot point, because the Vikings are expected to make a big play for Tomlinson. Minnesota has severe free agent restrictions because they were a Final 4 team - like the Jets - and losing Taylor was a big blow to the offense. Sure, Peterson is still the guy for the Vikings, but they also need a capable backup now that Taylor is gone.

Operative phrase on this one: stay tuned.

Just before the story broke I mentioned a desire to see LT come to the Jets with rumors of Leon signing elsewhere. If he does leave then LT could be a great addition. He blocks well, catches out of the backfield and is great in goal-line situations. I'm not saying TJ would have been better but with LT Greene can step up and we'll still have the things TJ was doing for us last year. Plus it couldn't hurt for Greene to work and learn from LT. I think this would be a great discount move. I say we sign Sharper and LT, draft for depth at wide receiver and corner and DLINE and OLINE and address safety and RB2 next year when we have the picks.

I think LT can be great again, he'll never likely rush for a thousand yards or take 20 plus carries a game. But with some rest, with our superior OLINE, and coming behind Greene's power-rushing he could contribute a maybe average 15 carries, 65 yards per game.

I finally broke down and joined the other night after misspelling my first tweet on the wife's account...check it out Ange...we're getting all the news in real time...you can go to all your favorite places and join their Twitter-it's a lot easier than going in your fav places and clicking and clicking

I would like this as our #3 back who can get 150-200 carries.

Eh. Our #3 RB will not see that many carries unless our #1 & #2 get hurt.

The real intrigue here is that the Vikes might be interested in Leon Washington. If LT were to sign with the Jets, would the Jets be willing to part with Leon for less than a 2nd rounder?

LT, Leon Washington or wait for the draft to unfold?

Posted by Mark Craig

Last update: March 9, 2010 - 1:51 PM

I know it's tough for fans to be patient while following a league that somehow has managed to convince us all that every day is the biggest day of the year.

That's why people want Chester Taylor's replacement signed, sealed and doing wind sprints at Winter Park ASAP.

There's the group that seems to want LaDainian Tomlinson. And the Vikings reportedly have some interest there as well.

There's also a group that has thrown out Jets restricted free agent Leon Washington as an option. That has more to do with the fact Leon only has a second-round tender attatched to him.

I say be patient, folks. Let the draft unfold first before deciding on a third-down back that could become one of the team's key playmakers.

Tomlinson is 30 and has lost the quickness that made him a great player. If he hadn't, he wouldn't be unemployed.

Washington is 27 and he's coming off a broken leg. But even if he wasn't coming off a broken leg, I'd think twice about giving up a second round draft pick for him. Remember, folks, the second round is still a big deal. The second round produces players like Sidney Rice. Why give up a chance to get a 22-year-old playmaker for a 27-year-old running back with a broken leg?

To me, it makes no sense to fill Taylor's job until we see how the draft unfolds. I mean, what if the Vikings go out and fill that spot, and then a player like Cal RB Jahvid Best is sitting there at the end of the second round. And say Jahvid is the highest-rated player on the Vikings' board at the time. Wouldn't you rather have him than a lower-ranked offensive lineman or cornerback?

Best is a 5-10, 199-pounder who runs a 4.35 and can catch the ball. He'd be one heck of a third-down playmaker to add to the mix at the right spot in the draft.

Viable option.

By visiting the Vikes and potentially the Jets, he's indicating an acceptance of being being a backup RB. He can catch out of the back field as well. Plus, this Oline should help him.

Stretch limo at Winter Park means L.T. is in the house

Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2010 12:56 PM ET

Though the Vikings' pursuit of running back LaDainian Tomlinson is not yet creating the same kind of abandon-your-car-and-follow-the-SUV-like-it's-carrying-Wayne-Gretzky-and-the-Olympic-torch frenzy in Minnesota, Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star Tribune points out that a stretch limo is parked in front of the team's facility.

Unless Brett Favre is in town (and unless Brad Childress is dressed up as a limo driver, male or female), it means that L.T. is in the building.

"Let the serious talks begin," Zulgad says.

We'll be waiting for the puff of white smoke to emanate from Zulgad's Twitter page.

If no deal gets done in Minnesota, L.T. will head to NYC

Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2010 11:28 AM ET

L_Tomlinson_1-thumb-250x208-5000.jpgAs it turns out, L.T. could be returning to the Meadowlands.

Not the original L.T., who played for the Giants. The new L.T., the nine-year veteran tailback and 2006 NFL MVP who is perched at eighth place on the all-time rushing list.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Tomlinson is scheduled to visit the Jets on Friday, if no deal is consummated in Minnesota.

But if the Jets weren't willing to pay Thomas Jones $5.8 million for 2010, they likely won't cough up big money for L.T. (It's also possible that the Jets had a chance to pay Jones the same two-year, $5 million package he received from the Chiefs; if they opted not to do so, it's unlikely that they would make a similar offer to Tomlinson.)

Apart from the money, Tomlinson wouldn't be overshadowed by any of the team's other running backs in New York, and he possibly could set himself up to make a bunch of extra cash in the many off-field opportunities that the Big Apple presents. Also, the Jets climbed as far as the Vikings did in 2009 -- and there's every reason to believe they'll be right in the thick of things in 2010.

And if playing the Chargers is a factor, it's a wash in either city; both the Jets and the Vikings are next scheduled to play San Diego in 2011. (Of course, either or both teams could play the Chargers in the 2010 postseason.)

Either way, the Vikings have gotten the first crack at signing L.T. -- and the key factors remain price tag and buy-in by L.T. regarding his second-fiddle role to Adrian Peterson.

Just do not see it happening. Jets do not have the established, proven QB that Tomlinson is looking for. Vikings do (as long as Favre comes back). Honestly I think LT signs nowhere until a Favre verdict is made, by Brett himself. If Tomlinson signs with Minnesota, it's because Favre secretly let it be known that he will return. If not, Tomlinson will go elsewhere, but it won't be with the Jets.

If by some miracle he does land here, I welcome him with open arms and our backfield becomes better than it was in 2009.

Just do not see it happening. Jets do not have the established, proven QB that Tomlinson is looking for. Vikings do (as long as Favre comes back). Honestly I think LT signs nowhere until a Favre verdict is made, by Brett himself. If Tomlinson signs with Minnesota, it's because Favre secretly let it be known that he will return. If not, Tomlinson will go elsewhere, but it won't be with the Jets.

If by some miracle he does land here, I welcome him with open arms and our backfield becomes better than it was in 2009.

I'm sorry i think Tomlinson is DONE. No doubt you give me the option between him and Thomas Jones, i'm taking Jones. L.T. isn't physical at all and what he had in speed and elusiveness is gone. Only nod i'll give him is he might add a little something as a reciever out of the backfield. I think you guys would be better off with a more physical style runner like a mike bell.

I'm sorry i think Tomlinson is DONE. No doubt you give me the option between him and Thomas Jones, i'm taking Jones. L.T. isn't physical at all and what he had in speed and elusiveness is gone. Only nod i'll give him is he might add a little something as a reciever out of the backfield. I think you guys would be better off with a more physical style runner like a mike bell.

With our Offensive Line, Tomlinson COULD have more success than Jones had. That being said, Shonn Greene is the starter no matter who the Jets in, so Tomlinson will not have that chance as he would only see around 10-12 carries a game. Jones is a tad over-rated due to his inflated 2009 stats. Funny because he always used to be very under-rated.

I don't see it happening either Joe

Tomlison and Sproles both had sub par years. I think this has to be considered by fans as this is somewhat an inditement of the direction of SD's offence toward the pass as well as lackluster run blocking (LT's numbers have been less than average since the loss of lorenzo Neal). Further, what does jones bring besides his much heralded locker room presense that LT doesn't? All things considered,Lt gives us more for less$.

Are you kidding? LT is an upgrade. He's even better than Jones at sitting on the bench while the backup beasts it down the stretch and into the playoffs.

L.T. isn't physical at all and what he had in speed and elusiveness is gone.

So what exactly is the difference between him and Thomas Jones?

Only nod i'll give him is he might add a little something as a reciever out of the backfield.

Oh, now I see.

I'm not a big fan of our third string back being a washed up Vet. We need someone who is going to be a beast on special teams and take carries. I don't see Tomlinson going out on specials every game and doing the dirty work.

So what exactly is the difference between him and Thomas Jones?

Oh, now I see.

Lt is done dude. He's not a physical runner, he's not fast. He can catch. Thomas Jones is a better option at this point in their careers. Thats all i'm saying. If i had a choice of Jones or LT for next year, i'm going Jones.

Lt is done dude. He's not a physical runner, he's not fast. He can catch. Thomas Jones is a better option at this point in their careers. Thats all i'm saying. If i had a choice of Jones or LT for next year, i'm going Jones.

You can keep your dichotomy. My point was simply that while Tomlinson may suck, Jones sucks too, and for nearly all of the same reasons.

I disagree sir.

There's nothing to disagree with. You're saying Jones is a better player at this point; I'm saying comparing the two at all is a fruitless pursuit. They're both plodding, ineffective thirtysomethings who posted negative DVOA/DYAR last season but are still going to get one last undeserved payday. I'm glad Jones didn't get his from us, and I hope Tomlinson doesn't likewise. But if you're looking to split hairs, I guess I'd argue that at least Tomlinson will catch you 50 balls.

There's nothing to disagree with. You're saying Jones is a better player at this point; I'm saying comparing the two at all is a fruitless pursuit. They're both plodding, ineffective thirtysomethings who posted negative DVOA/DYAR last season but are still going to get one last undeserved payday. I'm glad Jones didn't get his from us, and I hope Tomlinson doesn't likewise. But if you're looking to split hairs, I guess I'd argue that at least Tomlinson will catch you 50 balls.

Sorry broseph...calling a RB with 1,400 yds. ineffective is ridiculous. I understand the Jets have one of the best O-lines in football, but c'mon. Plus add in the fact your losing a player with a positive presence in your locker room. I'm not sure what Jones got in KC, but i doubt it broke the bank. So since your not on the Jones or LT bandwagon who woudl you like to see the Jets go after or are you comfortable with Greene and Washington.

Viable option.

By visiting the Vikes and potentially the Jets, he's indicating an acceptance of being being a backup RB. He can catch out of the back field as well. Plus, this Oline should help him.

Favre then LT?

:rl:

Tomlinson would be a perfect fit here for a few years. Imagine if we do sign him and keep Leon we would then have 2 threats out of the backfield who can catch the football and it would be the perfect compliment for Shonn Greene.

Yes hes an older RB EY but we wont be asking him to carry the load by any stretch.

Look at it this way who would you rather see behind our Oline TJ or LT ?

LT is a legit 50 plus catch RB..... who was the last one the Jets had ?? Ritchie Anderson many years ago.

i have read elsewhere that the jets were given the chance to match tj's 2 year/5 mil contract and refused.seems odd that they wouldnt match considering tj's leadership,locker room presents,experience,and durability.not to mention 1400 yards and 14 td's and the dude rarely fumbles.the jets must have bigger and better plans for the 3rd string back

Archived