**Official Ladainian Tomlinson Thread** [Merged]

dolphann4life

Should we sign LT?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should we sign LT?

• Yes, he would fit in nicely as a complementary back
    • No, he's finished.
    • I don't care one way or the other.

I am actually warming up to this idea. He would be the 3rd back. Nice insurance. Although they do need a bruiser should Greene get hurt and based on last year, expecting Greene to play 16 games is a stretch.

Me too, could be a decent pickup. What I really like is how the Jets are really addressing the few holes they have even with these final 4 rules ahead of the draft. They either want freedom to go BAP or have someone specifically in mind. Locking down all these stop gaps will allow them to even trade up in the draft if they want. I gotta say, this offseason has been going well at least on paper.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am actually warming up to this idea. He would be the 3rd back. Nice insurance. Although they do need a bruiser should Greene get hurt and based on last year, expecting Greene to play 16 games is a stretch.

Agreed and theres still 2 RBs we have never seen or know anything about on the roster. Rex could possibly carry an extra RB this season.

Agreed and theres still 2 RBs we have never seen or know anything about on the roster. Rex could possibly carry an extra RB this season.

They might have to BUT I am not sure how special teams (especially kickoff coverage) is going to pan out. Murrell and Wallace are gone...Westhoff will be a busy man next year and that unit was lacking last year.

They might have to BUT I am not sure how special teams (especially kickoff coverage) is going to pan out. Murrell and Wallace are gone...Westhoff will be a busy man next year and that unit was lacking last year.

They had Woodhead on STs last year---------:confused:

This certainly concerns me a little bit as well. Also consider losing Trusnick and Carroll over the course of last season and you're talking about a big chunk of the Jets ST. The only positive is that the kickoff unit should see some of that made up for with better kicks from Folk as opposed to Feely. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the Jets picks this year are guys who can pull double duty and play well on special teams.

Special teams will be fine. We did lose one legitimately great player in Wright, and that sucks, but the rest of these guys are nothing special. Lowery or whatever depth receiver we pick up will gun across from Brad Smith and be fine. Eric Smith and Ihedigbo are both good and they'll both still be on coverage with the acquisition of Pool. Lack of a punter is a far bigger issue than the coverage units are. And don't kill the messenger or anything but Vernon Gholston is actually a pretty good guard on the punt team.

Am i the only one who doesnt want this,crybaby,primadonna,band wagoner? We dont need LT. Just draft a good young back this year to help grow w Greene and Leon.

I've definitely cooled to the idea. Seems more like an insurance policy for Leon than a replacement for TJ. Maybe he'll be good for the occasional short yardage carry.

I'm not in favor of drafting a back this year unless they lose Leon, though. No need just yet with Greene and Leon carrying the bulk of the load. It's a porr RB draft, anyway.

I've definitely cooled to the idea. Seems more like an insurance policy for Leon than a replacement for TJ. Maybe he'll be good for the occasional short yardage carry.

I'm not in favor of drafting a back this year unless they lose Leon, though. No need just yet with Greene and Leon carrying the bulk of the load. It's a porr RB draft, anyway.

I see this as a threat to Leon, too. LT does (did) what Leon did (does). Leon will esentially become the designated kick returner.

Only thing about LT is this, imo: He's a proud man and a legendary player. You'd have to think that backing up Adrian Peterson is an easier pill for him to swallow than backing up a relatively unaccomplished Shonn Greene. If LT chooses to come here over Minnesota, it means that he thinks he can beat out Greene and wants no part of a back-up role, which could get messy.

I see this as a threat to Leon, too. LT does (did) what Leon did (does). Leon will esentially become the designated kick returner.

Only thing about LT is this, imo: He's a proud man and a legendary player. You'd have to think that backing up Adrian Peterson is an easier pill for him to swallow than backing up a relatively unaccomplished Shonn Greene. If LT chooses to come here over Minnesota, it means that he thinks he can beat out Greene and wants no part of a back-up role, which could get messy.

He'd really be a third option here, I'd think, provided Leon's on the team and healthy. Makes me wonder why he'd ever choose the Jets over the Vikes. At least there he'd be a #2.

It would definitely be ugly if he thought he was gonna come here and start.

If the Jets are really going to pull this full court press thing with him, I have to think they're seriously thinking about letting Leon go. I've thought that anyway, but LT could definitely be their plan for a one year, stop gap, 3rd down back.

He'd really be a third option here, I'd think, provided Leon's on the team and healthy. Makes me wonder why he'd ever choose the Jets over the Vikes. At least there he'd be a #2.

If the Jets are really going to pull this full court press thing with him, I have to think they're seriously thinking about letting Leon go. I've thought that anyway, but LT could definitely be their plan for a one year, stop gap, 3rd down back.

TOTALLY agree on Leon. And, as much as I like Leon, I think Tannenbaum has to proceed with the idea that Leon is a non-factor right now until they see him cut without his leg collapsing under him.

Apparently the Vikings' offer really 'wowed' him but he's on his way anyway. Sounds like he'll come cheap. I don't really see the point of signing him to catch flares. If we get a real third receiver I want Greene in there pass blocking.

You really think LT believes he cannot beat out Greene and Leon in camp?

He knows he cannot be #1 in Minny... to say he cannot be #1 in NY is being a homer... you have Leon who is not a #1 before the injury and a 2nd year RB...

Special teams will be fine. We did lose one legitimately great player in Wright, and that sucks, but the rest of these guys are nothing special. Lowery or whatever depth receiver we pick up will gun across from Brad Smith and be fine. Eric Smith and Ihedigbo are both good and they'll both still be on coverage with the acquisition of Pool. Lack of a punter is a far bigger issue than the coverage units are. And don't kill the messenger or anything but Vernon Gholston is actually a pretty good guard on the punt team.

Don't you DARE accuse Vernon of being good at anything football related on this board ever again. I will have none of that here. NONE of that.

:winking0001:

He knows he cannot be #1 in Minny... to say he cannot be #1 in NY is being a homer... you have Leon who is not a #1 before the injury and a 2nd year RB...

I'll say it. LT can't be a starter here, period. He's done as an every-down RB.

Dude rushed for a paltry 3.6 ypc and was cut without hesitation by SD after a tremendous career there. If you watched him play, you'd know he has zero burst and none of the old quickness he once had. Saying Greene is our unequivocal starter ahead of an over-the-hill LT does NOT make you a homer. Now, he might BELIEVE he can win the # 1 job, which is fine, but it doesn't make him correct.

If he came here, it would be to replace Leon and be the 3rd down back or come in as an INSURANCE policy to Leon and come in as a situational guy. No more, no less.

I'll say it. LT can't be a starter here, period. He's done as an every-down RB.

Dude rushed for a paltry 3.6 ypc and was cut without hesitation by SD after a tremendous career there. If you watched him play, you'd know he has zero burst and none of the old quickness he once had. Saying Greene is our unequivocal starter ahead of an over-the-hill LT does NOT make you a homer. Now, he might BELIEVE he can win the # 1 job, which is fine, but it doesn't make him correct.

If he came here, it would be to replace Leon and be the 3rd down back or come in as an INSURANCE policy to Leon and come in as a situational guy. No more, no less.

San Diego's entire running game sucked last year. Thomas Jones ran for 1402 yards. San Diego ran for 1423 as a team with a 3.3 ypc average. And that is including Darren Sproles and his 3.7 ypc. I'm not saying LT will run all over everyone next year, but I don't think it's entirely on him as to why he wasn't running well last year. For the whole team to run poorly a lot of the blame has to fall on the OL.

If we somehow pull it off and sign LT, by no means does that mean we're letting go of Leon. Leon does so much more for this team than take a few carries. Rex would always say how he is Leon's biggest fan and he is always real about everything. I don't imagine Rex doing this 'full court press' so we could get someone to replace Leon.

San Diego's entire running game sucked last year. Thomas Jones ran for 1402 yards. San Diego ran for 1423 as a team with a 3.3 ypc average. And that is including Darren Sproles and his 3.7 ypc. I'm not saying LT will run all over everyone next year, but I don't think it's entirely on him as to why he wasn't running well last year. For the whole team to run poorly a lot of the blame has to fall on the OL.

Which is why I added the qualifier "if you watched him play....". Stats don't tell me everything. Watching BOTH LT and Jones, behind different OL's, told me the same story. LT and Jones are both RB's well on the wrong side of 30 and are looking broken down. I don't want any part of LT if it means he's replacing Leon.

I don't think he'll be replacing Leon. LT can at least catch the ball out of the backfield, unlike TJ. When TJ was in, you pretty much knew the ball wasn't going to him on a screen or anything like that.

We would not be looking for him to be the player of 5 years ago- just someone to rotate in with Greene and hopefully Leon. He can catch the ball which was sorely lacking last year from our offense from the running backs.

LT has nothing more to prove...he wants the best chance of going out with a ring. And in my opinion, that road to the SB is best served in Minny.

AFC East has a little more difficult path than the NFC North.

I think it may come down to the uncertainty with Brett Favre, because the Vikings aren't going to the Super Bowl with Tavaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels.

LT has nothing more to prove...he wants the best chance of going out with a ring. And in my opinion, that road to the SB is best served in Minny.

AFC East has a little more difficult path than the NFC North.

He is going to want the best chance for playing time and $$$$$.

That is the bottom line

He is going to want the best chance for playing time and $$$$$.

That is the bottom line

Which gets me back to the original question of how much this is going to cost? Anybody think he's going to sign anywhere for less than what TJ got at KC?

Archived