what about this option

bman

I want to trade for Rivers/Brees..but if we can't do that...

What about McNair for a year or 2..He will probably be available after this season...Team him up with Heimer again....

Then draft a QB in RD 2..(Vanderbilt perhaps)

draft RB in rd 1...

and Where's Chad gonna go? they can't cut him his cap hit would be ridiculous. guaruntee he will try to make a comeback. how serious the Jets think that comeback is going will dictate the type of QB they bring in. Yes McNair is an option but only if Chad's career is over. I think Jets fans are really eager to declare his career over but the financial realities are what they are...

Here's the drill-

Jets have a great, young defense, and a great DC. If Donnie gets offered a HCing gig, we are screwed. We have to dump Herm and give him the HCing job.

This defense will be solid for 2-3 years. That will give the GM next year to rebuild the 0-line and draft a RB (assuming Cedric isn't the heir apparent).

Getting a blue chip QB ASAP is retarded. Wait until we have a line to protect him.

Jets have a great, young defense, and a great DC. If Donnie gets offered a HCing gig, we are screwed. We have to dump Herm and give him the HCing job.

why are we worrying about 2006 in the 6th week of 2005? Alot can happen.

JMO there are alot of names on that HC short list ahead of Donnie - he still has a relative lack of experience, and an unpredictable demenor. no one knows what sort of HC he will be, and he's garnering a rep around the league as being a bit of a wildman with the players/other coaches - not sure that would play as well at the HC position where you can't hide from the media.

Also the X factor there is loyalty to Herman - not that Herm would ever hold his ass'ts back from opportunity or that Donnie would turn down this opportunity but rather I feel Donnie would stay on at least a few years or until they win a championship before jumping ship, out of loyalty to the man that gave him a chance.

Despite what we as fans see, these guys are a package deal of sorts, seem to be legitimately friendly and Donnie has to feel somewhat indebted to Herm for taking a chance on him.

lets be real if it wasn't for Herman Donnie would be coaching Dbacks in obscurity, maybe forever. There is a sense on 'unfinished business' among the coaching staff, and i think Donnie can be counted on for at least a couple seasons.

ps- Moses the line protected Vinny against the number 1 defense inthe NFL last week. The problem wasn't necessarily the OL it was a lack of passing threat.

I want to trade for Rivers/Brees..but if we can't do that...

What about McNair for a year or 2..He will probably be available after this season...Team him up with Heimer again....

Then draft a QB in RD 2..(Vanderbilt perhaps)

draft RB in rd 1...

So you want to replace one of the most injury prone Quarterbacks in the NFL with one of the most injury-prone quarterbacks in the NFL? :shock::-s:-k

why are we worrying about 2006 in the 6th week of 2005? Alot can happen.

JMO there are alot of names on that HC short list ahead of Donnie - he still has a relative lack of experience, and an unpredictable demenor. no one knows what sort of HC he will be, and he's garnering a rep around the league as being a bit of a wildman with the players/other coaches

I'm not writing the season off; these are the horses, lets ride.

But don't get caught up in the Vinny hype. It was a nice win against the Bucs, but don't count on Brian Griese to QB our remaining 11 opponents. Our ST's suck (with the exception of Graham) and the Jets can barely crack 50 yards rushing per game. That's not championship football. The defense is playing like chammpions, though.

As for Donnie, as I recall Buddy Ryan was a loose cannon, too, and he was a pretty good HC for the Eagles.

I'm not writing the season off; these are the horses, lets ride.

But don't get caught up in the Vinny hype. It was a nice win against the Bucs, but don't count on Brian Griese to QB our remaining 11 opponents. Our ST's suck (with the exception of Graham) and the Jets can barely crack 50 yards rushing per game. That's not championship football. The defense is playing like chammpions, though.

As for Donnie, as I recall Buddy Ryan was a loose cannon, too, and he was a pretty good HC for the Eagles.

Now Moses, that is an amazingly funny comment.

How many playoff games do you think Buddy won as a HC?

And you consider that "good"?

Brother

I see. So, because Ryan was a loose cannon, and didn't win any championships, all other loose cannons should be deprived the opportunity as a HC, too. It's a foregone conclusion that Donnie will do no better than Buddy Ryan as a HC. :roll:

The point I made wasn't can a loose cannon be a successful HC, but can he get a job as a HC.

The answer is still yes.

I see. So, because Ryan was a loose cannon, and didn't win any championships, all other loose cannons should be deprived the opportunity as a HC, too. It's a foregone conclusion that Donnie will do no better than Buddy Ryan as a HC. :roll:

The point I made wasn't can a loose cannon be a successful HC, but can he get a job as a HC.

The answer is still yes.

I am focusing more on your assertion that Buddy Ryan was a"good" coach, when he didn't win a playoff game, yet Herm is a "dolt".

What's the criteria? Style points?

I am focusing more on your assertion that Buddy Ryan was a"good" coach, when he didn't win a playoff game, yet Herm is a "dolt".

What's the criteria? Style points?

You're reaching.

Herm won 2 playoff games in 5 years. As for regular season, Herm's had one nemesis- the Pats.

Buddy had Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys, Bill Parcells Giants, and Joe Gibbs Redskins. He also ran into those teams in the playoffs as well, along with Bill Walsh's 49ers and Ditka's Bears.

Recall the "fog bowl"? The Eagles got jobbed in that playoff game.

Anyway this isn't a comparison between Buddy and Hermy. I brought Buddy up only as an example of a loose cannon. Sorry if the word "good" disturbed you.

Herm's still a dolt, regardless of my opinion of Buddy.

If you want to take your argument to the idiot extreme, then I guess Randall Cunningham wasn't a "good" qb (until he won a playoff game with the Vikes that is).

How many Super Bowls did Ryan win again? I can't recall...

Maybe you recall that just to get to the playoffs, Ryan had to get past two mini-dynasties in Washington and the Giants. There is a far different landscape nowadays where teams can rise from the ashes and win championships the very next year. Ryan was able to build the best defense in football twice, once with Chicago as a coordinator and once again as the head coach of the Eagles. I have no doubt that a Buddy Ryan/Donnie Henderson type coach could be very successful in today's NFL. Had Ryan had three to four years with that Eagles defense in today's salary cap era, the Eagles would have won multiple championships.

The biggest possible mistake is to desperately seek out another QB.

Ain't gonna happen.

Like it or not, it's Bolly-Vin-Cliff and next year Chad will come back (to be re-reinjured) and cap-wise, deal-wise, everything-wise, that's the way it's gotta be.

I say ley Bolly develop this yeat. Even if you think Chad will comeback, at least you have a backup with a little more experience. And the upside is - Bolly proves to be a bona fide #1.

Joe Walton won two playoff games. I guess Scott's right. Buddy Ryan does not qualify as "good". :lol:

Gotcha, the criteria is not how much you win in he playoffs, the criteria is now, who you played to get to the playoffs, who was coaching those other teams and who knows what else.

Question- Did Buddy also face the Ray Handley Giants? Did he face the Rich Petitbon Redskins?

Check out the Cowboys, Redskin and Giant teams when Buddy was winning his Divisions. They were hardly dynasty teams.

So, Buddy led his team to the playoffs most of theyears he was with teh Eagles. And that qualifies him as good. OK. Let's not even discuss what he did with the Cardinals.

I guess you can see where I am going with this.

Can you see a LITTLE bit of hypocrisy in your argument

Let's break this down very easily.

What makes Buddy Ryan a good coach?

Ryan was a great DC. He was an innovator. An inventor. (And I doubt he had to ask his coordinator whether he should take a penalty or not). He was also a miserable bastard who lots of players couldn't stand.

Herm is a nice guy with a great personality. Skill-wise, by contrast he tries to plug schemes that other people invented, and use them with players that don't fit.

Vinny's your QB, tied up long-term? Let's go WCO.

Chad's your QB, tied up long-term? Let's go vertical offense.

3-4 defense & a 3-4 DC? Let's go 4-3/cover-2.

Budding run-blocking/QB-sacking DE? Move him to DT.

Smaller, lightning-fast OLB/DE? Use him only at DE.

Slower run-stuffing NT & old/slow LB's? Let's go cover-2.

Need power-running game? Insert Curtis Martin.

Need fast outside running game? Insert Curtis Martin.

Curtis Martin injured badly? Insert Curtis Martin.

buddy's ideas are still used on sundays at nfl stadiums nationwide

That makes him a good COORDINATOR, not a good head coach

the question i answered was what makes him a good coach.........he could be a good head coach i'm sure if he ever got to coach the personnell that a previous super bowl coach has coached.......Qwhat makes mike holmgren a good head coach..A: brett favre

That makes him a good COORDINATOR, not a good head coach

the question i answered was what makes him a good coach.........he could be a good head coach i'm sure if he ever got to coach the personnell that a previous super bowl coach has coached.......Qwhat makes mike holmgren a good head coach..A: brett favre

what makes joe torre a good manager........he didnt do squat till he got to manage the yankees

Gotcha, the criteria is not how much you win in he playoffs, the criteria is now, who you played to get to the playoffs, who was coaching those other teams and who knows what else.

No Scott, the criteria, as it were, was an implication by Bitonti that Donnie Henderson was not a HC candidate, because he is a little bit screwy in the noggin'.

I simply brought up Buddy Ryan as an example of another DC who had a rep for having bats in the belfry, who was afforded an opportunity to become a HC.

YOU took umbrage with the fact that I used an adjective to describe Buddy Ryan as a "good" coach. You then IN PROTOTYPICAL HERMAPHRODITE FASHION entered into the discussion the fact that Buddy Ryan never won a playoff game, therefore I must be bonkers in the head myself to describe him as a "good" coach, and yet, according to me, good ol' Hermy is a "dolt", even though he won TWO- that's right, ladies and gentlemen, two whopping playoff games.

What any of this has to do with Donnie Henderson as a potential HC candidate or the price of frogs legs in Paris is beyond me.

So, Buddy led his team to the playoffs most of the years he was with the Eagles. And that qualifies him as good. OK. Let's not even discuss what he did with the Cardinals.

No, Scott.

There was no qualification I attached to Buddy Ryan to validate the adjective "good". The playoff qualification theory was introduced by you. OK. Let's not even discuss what Herm would do with the Cardinals.

Archived