Bad News For Syracuse

T-Mac

For Rutgers RB, this is personal

Thursday, October 13, 2005

BY TOM LUICCI

Star-Ledger Staff

When the revamped Big East schedule came out a year ago and it was determined that Rutgers would have to play at Syracuse for the second straight year, the people in Brian Leonard's hometown of Gouverneur, N.Y., reserved three charter buses for this weekend.

They sold out in two days.

It's at the point now that the Knights' star running back estimates that 1,000 people will be coming to Syracuse on Saturday specifically to see him play, most of them making the hour and 40-minute drive south from Gouverneur -- a town of approximately 5,000 people.

"People who have watched me growing up, people who have watched my progress, people I don't even know and my parents don't even know from north country, are coming," Leonard said. "This is probably the most meaningful game I'll play because of that."

This time, they shouldn't be disappointed.

They were a year ago when Leonard was a game-time scratch because of a nagging thigh injury, leaving a large pocket of Leonard jersey-wearing fans disappointed -- but none more so than the Knights' fourth-year junior, who has never played in the Carrier Dome.

It has only been a lifelong dream.

"It was a last-minute decision not to let me play last year. I was cleared by the training staff but not the coaches," Leonard said. "All those people who came to see me had an idea I might not play (because of the injury) but they hoped I would. Now I'm ready. I'm excited."

Had the football fates intervened, Leonard could very well be starting for the Orange against Rutgers on Saturday. For that matter, so could Leonard's backfield partner, freshman tailback Ray Rice.

"That definitely could have happened. How weird is that?" said Rice.

Rice committed to Syracuse but changed his mind in January when coach Paul Pasqualoni was fired. Leonard narrowed his college choices to Rutgers and Syracuse.

"It was a tough decision," Leonard said. "I visited Syracuse, but Rutgers had already offered me. Syracuse hadn't. I got the feeling Syracuse was playing around with me a little bit. But I also respected Rutgers because of the way they took care of my brother (Nate, who played linebacker for the Knights) after he tore his knee up."

The 6-2, 238-pound Leonard has merely developed into perhaps the best all-purpose back Rutgers has ever had, a rare combination of power and speed who can be used as a tailback and fullback, and as a workhorse runner or receiver. With 444 rushing yards so far -- and a team-leading eight touchdowns -- Leonard is off to the best start of his career, bidding to join Terrell Willis as the school's second player to top 1,000 yards rushing in the past 30 years.

"This is definitely the best rushing start I've had," said Leonard, who has topped 100 yards rushing twice already and also has 18 catches for 190 yards. "But you've got to give credit for our line. Every time I go over 100 yards I promise to take them out to dinner. I've had a couple of dinner games already."

As meaningful as the game is to Leonard, he also knows it could hold the key to the season for the Knights, who are 3-2 overall and 1-1 in Big East play. Syracuse is 1-4 and 0-2.

"It's a very big game, and not because of what it means to me personally," Leonard said. "We know what a win can do for us."

Notes: With starting linebacker Will Gilkison out because of a groin injury, true freshmen Chris Quaye and Kevin Malast will see the first action of their careers. "I don't know if they'll play at linebacker or on kicking teams, but I think it's safe to say one of them, maybe both, will get in the game," head coach Greg Schiano said.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

BY TOM LUICCI

Star-Ledger Staff

The most accomplished quarterback in Rutgers history is heading to the bench, perhaps for good.

In a decision he called the toughest in his five years as head coach "without a doubt," Greg Schiano yesterday named redshirt freshman Mike Teel the starter for the Knights' Big East game on Saturday at Syracuse -- the first time in 33 games that someone besides Ryan Hart will open under center for Rutgers.

Teel, arguably the most heralded quarterback recruit in the program's history, was told of the decision prior to practice yesterday afternoon along with Hart.

Schiano also put an end to his growing quarterback controversy between the two by eliminating the time-sharing at the position. Teel, a 6-4, 220-pounder, will start and play the entire game.

"He's going to be the guy playing," Schiano said.

Asked if Hart would play at all, he said, "Only if circumstances dictate."

"I just feel like it's the thing we need to do right now as an offense, as a program," Schiano said. "It's not an easy decision. Ryan has done a lot of great things, but I just feel like this is what we need to do right now to take this offense to the next level.

"Nothing is permanent. It's something we think we have to do right now. We'll see how it goes."

Teel said he was "excited" by the opportunity, but tempered those feelings because he understands he has taken the job away from a player who has started 32 straight games and owns almost every significant single-season and career passing record the school has.

"I do have to be under control (emotionally) and be mature about it," said Teel, the former Don Bosco Prep star. "I think (Hart) has handled it really well. The coaching staff and the players all went about it the right way and handled it the right way. He has done a good job. I'm going to try to do the best job I can do, too."

Hart, a 6-2, 200-pound senior, said he was "taking it in stride."

"It's difficult, because obviously I'm a competitor," Hart said. "But you've got to do what's best for the team. I wish Mike all the best. I know he will do a great job. I just have to prepare as a starter and be ready if I'm called upon."

Hart has seen Teel cut into his playing time a little more each game during Rutgers' 3-2 start, with the two virtually sharing the position during last week's 27-14 home loss to West Virginia. Hart was 9-of-16 for 66 yards with one interception and directed a 15-play, 66-yard touchdown drive. Teel was 9-of-15 for 105 yards with two interceptions, moving the Knights 80 yards in 14 plays for their only other score. Neither player threw a touchdown pass.

The offense, however, has stalled for long stretches this season under Hart, who set school marks for attempts, completions and passing yards the past two years but tied for the national lead in interceptions last year with 19 and is just 12-20 as a starter.

The game against Syracuse (1-4) looms as a critical one in Rutgers' season.

Ironically, Hart will take a seat against the same opponent, in the same building, as when he made his Rutgers debut in 2002. He had started a school-record 32 straight since then.

"It's been pretty tough for me, just because it's my senior year and I've been a starter for three years," Hart said of his demotion. "So it's tough to handle, especially for your pride. I'm disappointed, but I've got to do the team thing."

Teel, who redshirted last season, has shown flashes of living up to his hype in a part-time role this year. He is 15-of-26 for 197 yards with three interceptions and no touchdown passes. His stronger throwing arm gives Rutgers the ability to go vertical more often, and he also has more mobility than Hart.

"I think he gives us the opportunity to make some additional plays with the people we have," Schiano said of Teel.

The possibility of a change at quarterback is "all I've been thinking about since after the (West Virginia) game," said Schiano, adding that "this doesn't happen overnight."

Teel said the change hasn't caused any tension with Hart.

"We're still in meetings together, still helping each other out," he said. "I'm sure as the week goes on, things will settle down and we'll be roommates together Friday night in Syracuse. I'm sure we'll talk about it. I know he will help me out in any way he can. He's a great kid and a great teammate."

LBs likely to have new look

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

BY TOM LUICCI

Star-Ledger Staff

Quarterback isn't the only position where Rutgers is making a change for Saturday's Syracuse game.

With senior tri-captain Will Gilkison all but officially declared out for the game at the Carrier Dome because of a groin injury, coach Greg Schiano said yesterday the starting linebackers will "probably be" Devraun Thompson, redshirt freshman Chenry Lewis and junior Quintero Frierson.

Frierson will start for Gilkison, with Lewis apparently replacing fourth-year junior William Beckford.

The start will be the first of Lewis' career and the third for Frierson.

"We're trying to put together enough guys to make enough plays to play good defense," Schiano said of a unit that ranks last in the Big East in total defense.

Gilkison, Thompson and Terry Bynes were the linebacker starters when the season began, with Bynes lost for the year because of a knee injury that will require surgery. Schiano said it was too early to speculate whether Gilkison's injury would be season-ending.

"I never rule Gilk out because he's one of the toughest kids I've ever been around," Schiano said. "For me to say he's not going to play ... all medical opinions say he's not going to play."

Senior Brad Cunningham and junior Ken Gillespie, back from a shoulder injury, will serve as backups along with Beckford. Schiano said true freshmen Kevin Malast and Chris Quaye could see time as well. Neither has played this season.

True freshman Tiquan Underwood has the answer for anyone wondering.

"Yes, I can throw a pass," the reserve wide receiver said.

Used as a change-of-pace quarterback, Underwood has taken direct snaps in the shotgun and has carried 16 times as a read-and-react runner. But he has yet to keep defenses honest with his first pass out of the formation.

"I look forward to it happening," he said. "I think at a certain point I'm going to have to throw a pass."

The fleet 6-2, 175-pounder has netted 65 yards from his 16 carries out of a formation that is basically a single wing.

Schiano said the manner in which senior quarterback Ryan Hart handled his demotion yesterday -- as well as the way redshirt freshman Mike Teel reacted to his promotion -- was "outstanding."

"And it's not easy," he said. "They're both great kids. That's what makes it very, very hard. That's what is hard about being a head coach."

"We certainly know we have a (backup) quarterback in Ryan Hart who can go in there and play effectively and win games. But we feel it's time to give Mike an opportunity to take the reps and play continuously and see how it goes."

Syracuse offense is in disarray- good for Rutgers because that is their weak part.

Teel is starting at QB for Rutgers instead of Hart T-Mac- opinion

I've been rooting for this kid since they got him. Thought he would get his shot last year with Hart throwing picks all over. Hart was actually doing fairly well this year, but I'm still glad the kid is getting his shot. He's a big dude and should throw well once he gets some reps.

It's about time they pulled Hart. He would put up a flashy statistical game every so often, but would invariably make bad plays down the stretch. He held that team back big-time. As for the Cuse, to show you how awful they are on offense, they would trade the roof off of the Carrier Dome for a QB of Hart's ability right now.

Sorry I can't be there, T-Mac. I've got a conference in Binghamton all weekend.

Have a great time. If time allows, hit Coleman's Authentic Irish Pub and the Dinosaur Barbeque.

Are they close to the Sheraton? I'll need to catch a little of the ND game before shuffling off.

Archived