Mafia Game Thread--The Thing

SMC

This sentence talks about the Thing in the singular. Is it too far-fetched that there is only ONE Thing on the first day?

So there's possibly one Thing, and it has the opportunity to convert during the day and at night?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We could kill every night phase.. and had 1 convert to use..

Right so 1 conversion...

I wonder if it means something along the lines of having a conversion role and a night-time killing role.

I've never seen the movie so I'm grabbing at straws here.

How many times do I have to tell you that I'm into Half-Asians, my ex was half Jap and that I find your wife very attractive yet have no clue what she's doing with you?

I know your lying cause vic's wife isn't fat. I've seen pictures..

dirtbag..

Right so 1 conversion...

I wonder if it means something along the lines of having a conversion role and a night-time killing role.

I've never seen the movie so I'm grabbing at straws here.

My guess is that they will be more powerful then that.. SMC seems to like to watch the town get worked, so as a mod, I imagine he'd create an advantageous scenerio for this to happen..

That's no to say unbalanced, just that more converts = more chances for pied piper

My guess is that they will be more powerful then that.. SMC seems to like to watch the town get worked, so as a mod, I imagine he'd create an advantageous scenerio for this to happen..

That's no to say unbalanced, just that more converts = more chances for pied piper

I dunno, if they can convert even 2 people, that's 2 days, 2 nights they might be able to get something. Let's assume this

12 person game

1 "thing" to start out

Day 1: 1 convert, 1 NK

2 things- 10 people

Day 2: 1 convert, 1NK

4 things, 8 people

I guess if we look at it like that it feels like the town may be more powerful. Is there any clues from the movie we might get?

As has been stated, I would expect a lot of "3rd party" roles who's interest diverge from the rest of the town. So basically, just because someone is not the thing does not mean they are good for the town. Hard to speculate what those are at this point, not enough info right now but it'll become clear soon.

I don't see a "cult" in the traditional sense as a 3rd party figure, but I suppose it's possible. I think it's more likely that "the thing" or the mafia is able to convert. But who knows, again not enough info given. It's just obvious that conversion to the dark side is very real in this game and should very much make the traditional power roles be very careful in a reveal (if they exist this game)

How many times do I have to tell you that I'm into Half-Asians, my ex was half Jap and that I find your wife very attractive yet have no clue what she's doing with you?

Personally I find Vic's greasy Chilean good looks just as attractive. It's just probably just me... and Dan x.

This game may have similar mechanic to DPR's zombie wars game at DM/MJ. I know a ton of us played in it, but not sure if SCM did or not.

We could kill every night phase.. and had 1 convert to use..

And some douchebag was a traitorous scum, don't forget that. :P

As an FYI regarding the zombie game, our conversion attempt could not be blocked by the doctor. Not sure if that would be the same here and there could also be another role-blocker / protector type role that could stop it, but its something to keep in mind as we were able to convert the cop that game despite him getting doc protection.

This sentence talks about the Thing in the singular. Is it too far-fetched that there is only ONE Thing on the first day?

FYI, from the last paragraph of the opening scene:

The research team is pretty sure there is more than one Thing among them, but they are not certain how many.

As has been stated, I would expect a lot of "3rd party" roles who's interest diverge from the rest of the town. So basically, just because someone is not the thing does not mean they are good for the town. Hard to speculate what those are at this point, not enough info right now but it'll become clear soon.

I don't see a "cult" in the traditional sense as a 3rd party figure, but I suppose it's possible. I think it's more likely that "the thing" or the mafia is able to convert. But who knows, again not enough info given. It's just obvious that conversion to the dark side is very real in this game and should very much make the traditional power roles be very careful in a reveal (if they exist this game)

Maybe this is a reach- but what about the possibility that the "Thing" can ONLY convert, while the other group is a bunch of crazies who kill people at night they think the Thing is?

Thing wins when they have more of them

Other group wins when they've killed off the thing

Town wins if both groups are gone?

Maybe this is a reach- but what about the possibility that the "Thing" can ONLY convert, while the other group is a bunch of crazies who kill people at night they think the Thing is?

It's definitely possible. Reminiscent of the red scare game, or the effect it tried to achieve.

Continuous conversion is a bit strong though, even if you did start with only one thing. Honestly, there's a crapload of possibilities, outside of probing it for the possibilities, it's really too difficult to tell until something revealing occurs.

could be conversion probabilities, a limited number of conversions, etc.

I just hope SMC let's us know if a conversion occurs in a death scene. Part of my complaint with the Zombie game was there was absolutely no indication that our very real cop was converted. From our perspective, it looked like mafia just fake claiming cop.

I actually like the idea of one thing, myself. Creates the townie-paranoia even more so than usual. Start with one thing, and the town essentially does the work for it. The only issue being that it could end day one...so I suppose it's a better possibility there are 2 things? One with a convert ability? (sort of a cult leader/godfather combo)

:oops:

What if it's one conversion per thing? Start with one, the one he converts can convert one, and so on and so forth. Lynch one of them during the day and they can't grow? At the same time, that'd be really out of control and handicap the town in not knowing at any point what they're dealing with. I dunno.

I also might add, I highly doubt there is continuous conversion with no consequence. It presents a very unbalancing problem when you could potentially have 2 things during a day phase. Even you lynch one, the number crops back up to 2 the very next day and the cycle continues.

But anyways,

vote: AVM

It wouldn't be a mafia game if i never did at some point.

Ah. Yeah...definitely not one then lol. Okay, so we have at LEAST 2, and the more of them we're facing the weaker the conversion ability has to be, in theory.

I dunno, if they can convert even 2 people, that's 2 days, 2 nights they might be able to get something. Let's assume this

12 person game

1 "thing" to start out

Day 1: 1 convert, 1 NK

2 things- 10 people

Day 2: 1 convert, 1NK

4 things, 8 people

I guess if we look at it like that it feels like the town may be more powerful. Is there any clues from the movie we might get?

That's only 3..

But yea, I highly doubt that they would have a 100% success rate, or that they'd be able to do both on all days. In zombie game it was an either/or scenario..

I also might add, I highly doubt there is continuous conversion with no consequence. It presents a very unbalancing problem when you could potentially have 2 things during a day phase. Even you lynch one, the number crops back up to 2 the very next day and the cycle continues.

But anyways,

vote: AVM

It wouldn't be a mafia game if i never did at some point.

Have you really voted for me in every game, JVO....Y? ;)

That's only 3..

But yea, I highly doubt that they would have a 100% success rate, or that they'd be able to do both on all days. In zombie game it was an either/or scenario..

Either/or every night maybe? Kill or convert makes sense. Either that, or maybe it's a combo of what you're suggesting. They pick someone, and it's a 50% chance of conversion, 50% chance of NK

And some douchebag was a traitorous scum, don't forget that. :P

As an FYI regarding the zombie game, our conversion attempt could not be blocked by the doctor. Not sure if that would be the same here and there could also be another role-blocker / protector type role that could stop it, but its something to keep in mind as we were able to convert the cop that game despite him getting doc protection.

Oh come one, both times that was the case i lost but played a huge role in helping my scummates win the game. Don't forget you won both of those games :D

That's only 3..

MATH FAIL.

Right- And that's why I seriously think there has to be another party if we're gonna assume more flavor in the game. Plus I think if you look at the roster we can assume SMC is going to make it a more challenging game.

Unfortunately I think we can throw up a ton of theories but we're only going to get more information after the first lynch/night phase.

MATH FAIL.

Right- And that's why I seriously think there has to be another party if we're gonna assume more flavor in the game. Plus I think if you look at the roster we can assume SMC is going to make it a more challenging game.

Unfortunately I think we can throw up a ton of theories but we're only going to get more information after the first lynch/night phase.

First night should tell us a lot, though even that as discussed earlier might not show us everything.

Reading along, I'm leaning towards the idea of a two person scum team with a single conversion. One Thing would make it possible (however unlikely) for the game to end in the first day phase, so I just don't see the point of SMC setting a game up like that. If he wants to mod, he probably wants it to last longer than that.

Having said that everything he put in the setup page has meaning, I think we have to take that to mean that the Thing can do at least one conversion:

Among them is some sort of

Reading along, I'm leaning towards the idea of a two person scum team with a single conversion. One Thing would make it possible (however unlikely) for the game to end in the first day phase, so I just don't see the point of SMC setting a game up like that. If he wants to mod, he probably wants it to last longer than that.

Having said that everything he put in the setup page has meaning, I think we have to take that to mean that the Thing can do at least one conversion:

The "Thing" is assimilated lifeforms, and it can assimilate lifeforms.

This is what I'm thinking as well, given the current info. There's clearly more than one of them to start and the conversion ability is too heavily hinted at to be a coincidence (and SMC essentially admitted as much). Just for a matter of pure balance, the conversion has to be somewhat limited, be it restricted in how often it is successful or a limit to how many can be done.

Personally I find Vic's greasy Chilean good looks just as attractive. It's just probably just me... and Dan x.

This game may have similar mechanic to DPR's zombie wars game at DM/MJ. I know a ton of us played in it, but not sure if SCM did or not.

Muffin top, this is lame, geeky and unacceptable behavior assuming that everyone knows about the game set up's over at McCreepy Mafia Zone.

FOS all over you, scrumptious.

Also, there's really solid conversation about possible game set ups right now. I read this as posturing and scummy, looks like some folks are dangling strings for some to grasp only to be controlled the rest of the way. I'm watching you ET type mofo's.

Muffin top, this is lame, geeky and unacceptable behavior assuming that everyone knows about the game set up's over at McCreepy Mafia Zone.

Also, there's really solid conversation about possible game set ups right now. I read this as posturing and scummy, looks like some folks are dangling strings for some to grasp only to be controlled the rest of the way. I'm watching you ET type mofo's.

IbUxePfsoWE

NSFW language

Maybe you're just being jealous.

Vote Da Crusher

cause he hasn't said anything about me or my lady friend since monday.

Haven't read in depth yet but small mafia team (maybe a team of 2?) with a cult leader sounds about right- no?

OFFICIAL VOTE COUNT--DAY 1

Pac2566 (1) -- CTM

CTM (1) -- Bleedin' Green

JiF (1) -- Vicious89x

Vicious89x (1) -- AVM

AVM (1) -- JVoR

The Crusher (1) -- Pac 2566

With 12 Research Team Members, it takes 7 to torch.

Boopsie your so cute feeling all bold and empowered after your first game as a Moderator of the mafia goodness. But you might want to start reading the thread in numerical order and you might noticed I said that before all of the guessing of game mechanics. Also no reason to be hating on my other mafia home. Ive been very patient with all your attention to Dan X and I think you should follow my example of tolerance.

Vote Da Crusher

cause he hasn't said anything about me or my lady friend since monday.

Haven't read in depth yet but small mafia team (maybe a team of 2?) with a cult leader sounds about right- no?

In the future I see Dan X becoming your new lady friend.

Archived