REPORT: Jets Shopping Faneca, Thomas, Ellis.

Ghost

The Jets have reportedly put LG Alan Faneca, DE Shaun Ellis, and OLB Bryan Thomas on the trade block.

According to Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post, the players may all be released after the draft if no takers are found. Though Faneca was voted to the Pro Bowl (undeservedly, again), he graded out poorly last year as a pass blocker and wasn't a difference maker in the running game. He's also due a $7.5 million base salary going on age 34. Ellis is also aging and injury prone. Thomas is simply an unproductive pass rusher. Apr. 20 - 11:31 am et

Source: National Football Post

This makes absolutely no sense at all.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Smart move, since there is no cap. You can draft a pretty good LG in rounds 1-3.

In no way it's a smart move. Get real.

The Jets are going for the SB in 2010 and they hope to protect their $50 million QB with a rookie LG?

Trading Block does not equal we are giving them away. None of those 3 guys are untouchable. If we got good value in return then I can see it happening. But like was mentioned, we are making a solid SB run this year so we aren't exactly gonna sell pricey veterans to rebuild.

Really, Bryan Thomas is the only guy I realistically see being moved. We already have a small logjam at 3-4 OLB, if we drafted another one I see one being moved and the guy with the short stick would be Thomason draft day. Gholston is much less productive, but you know they are gonna give him at least one more camp to show them something.

This makes absolutely no sense at all.

Faneca is old and can't Pass Block worth crap. Bryan Thomas is averge at best. I would think you would keep Shaun Ellis, but it is 4/20 today and he's one blunt away from being donezo. Seriously though, i see all those guys on your team next year, wouldn't sweat it.

Trading Block does not equal we are giving them away. None of those 3 guys are untouchable. If we got good value in return then I can see it happening. But like was mentioned, we are making a solid SB run this year so we aren't exactly gonna sell pricey veterans to rebuild.

Really, Bryan Thomas is the only guy I realistically see being moved. We already have a small logjam at 3-4 OLB, if we drafted another one I see one being moved and the guy with the short stick would be Thomason draft day. Gholston is much less productive, but you know they are gonna give him at least one more camp to show them something.

JVoR, Mike Lombardi said the Jets will RELEASE THEM if not traded:

Speaking of the Jets, they are actively shopping guard Alan Faneca, defensive end Shaun Ellis and linebacker Bryan Thomas and will probably waive these players after the draft. You might be surprised to read Faneca

I don't think I can believe they'd get rid of Ellis. I mean the guys been here so long and he's been such a good player for us.

Thats what i meant by agreeing with EY I cant see us getting rid of him but I can see circumstances where Faneca and BT can be moved. No telling whats going to happen Thrusday with Crazy Tanny at the helm ( I dont mean that in a bad way so dont start cryin guys) :box:

this wouldnt happen. Thomas is valuable in coverage, Ellis for a 3-4 end did pretty well in the sack category and is a leader of that D. I totally expect faneca to be cut after the year however. possibly Woody too. I bet they give fanecas spot to slauson. 6rd pick but was kept on the roster so they obv like him.

I can't imagine a circumstance in which dropping Ellis is a good idea.

I wholeheartedly agree.

JVoR, Mike Lombardi said the Jets will RELEASE THEM if not traded:

Link

I would be shocked if Ellis was released. They're looking at Taylor, Adalius, and maybe a draft pick at OLB, so Thomas doesn't surprise me. Faneca's overrated and overpaid, but I'd like them to have a healthy replacement in place before they do anything harsh with him, too.

But Ellis? Really? Jets are razor thin on the DL, and he's a solid player.

We shouldn't get rid of Faneca, and i'll tell you why. He has been great for the development of Mangold AND D-Brick(whether you believe it or not). We should keep him around for one more year to help develop matt slauson. Slauson was an animal in college, and with a little more encouragement he'll be an animal in the pros.

PEACE OUT ELLIS AND THOMAS! They should of got the boot last year.

it just sounds like Trader Mike doing his due diligence again, creating opportunities to improve the team.

besides no one would be shocked to see 3 aging and average players replaced if the opportunity presented itself.

the only thing that woudn't make sense is to put the cart before the horse, lose the player before getting a worthy replacement.

The article claims that they would be cut if a suitor isn't found... so, yeah, it does.

In no way it's a smart move. Get real.

The Jets are going for the SB in 2010 and they hope to protect their $50 million QB with a rookie LG?

This. More than likely it's nonsense released to obscure our plans for draft day. All of sudden we have needs in positions that people thought are filled. This sounds like poo.

Alan Faneca's 5-year deal was always imaginary money with the Jets.

According to Rotoworld, he has a $7.5M salary and a supstantial roster bonus this season (which was reported as part of the $21M guaranteed when he signed the deal). As always with reported "guaranteed money", I'm not sure what to believe anymore.

Unfortunately, with no salary cap and no dead money penalty, this is what the union has asked for. Every veteran player that is even somewhat overpaid can be dumped even up to the 11th hour a week before the season starts. They are then stuck trying to find jobs who knows where and who knows how much.

The Jets could literally, cut Faneca a week before the season starts and then offer him $3 million for the year, which is likely more than he'd get anywhere else so late in the process and without knowing the play book. Faneca would be in a "have to take it or retire" scenario.

And this is just one of MANY examples out there. I think we will be shocked at some of the names cut during week 3-4 of preseason.

Mike Tannenbaum might be putting these players out there as feelers for more picks draftday. He may also be preparing to restructure some of these players prior to the start of the season & by offering this to the players in question, the Jets can adjust their cap, should the CBA be resolved prior to 2011.

Simply put, this just might be more "Smoke & Mirrors" than anything else prior to Draftday...

Even if we had the assanine plan of releasing three starters with only five picks, why would we announce said plans before making any deals? This totally undercuts any attempt to move these players for anything more than sixth round pick. Tanny is too good of a businessman to let this sort of thing happen.

Faneca makes sense at his salary. Perhaps we can package him and our first to move up and select Iupati. That would be great.

Ellis makes no sense, he is on his last year and can still contribute as a premiere starter; provided of course his arm isn't wrapped up like a club. It was seriously hard to watch him not make a tackle because he was playing with only one arm.

Even BT doesn't make sense. If we cut him after this year we don't lose anything; no cap penalty nothing. This only makes sense if we draft OLB in the first round and either keep Faneca or believe enough in Slausen to let him take over.

I think the real logic behind these moves is to free up cap space, which we will desperately need. As Tanny looks to the future we need to resign all to most of Harris, Revis, Edwards, Holmes, Cromartie and Mangold by 2012. Faneca and BT should both be replaced by then as well. So I can imagine how much of a problem this will be. In short, depending on the Jets' view of Slausen I can imagine one to two of these guys being gone, but definitely not Ellis.

I can't imagine a circumstance in which dropping Ellis is a good idea.

Beat me to it, but he's the one guy I can't possibly imagine letting go of. The idea of him being him injury prone is nonsense, outside of his suspension week 1 last year, he hasn't missed a start since 2005. He's missed a total of 5 games in his entire career. But moreso than that, outside of Jenkins in 2008, he's been the Jets best DL for a great many years now. Ever since the Jets switched to the 3-4, he's been one of the league leaders in sacks amongst 3-4 DEs.

With a hole at DE already existing with Douglas gone, why create another with Ellis and leave the only DE on your roster with any experience as Mike Devito? It just makes no sense. I just think this is way off.

Frankly, even Faneca and Thomas are highly unlikely to go anywhere unless they are first replaced through the draft with high quality prospects who the Jets feel can start from day one. The only exception would be in Thomas' case, as it could happen if the Patriots release their very own Thomas and he signs with the Jets.

You want to get rid of a player a year early rather than a year late, and ideally getting draft picks that can contribute is the way to do it. Since the Jets package picks so much, getting any pick always helps the Jets. Ideally you want something from 2-5 but the Jets have even traded 7s before. None of these guys is going to fetch a round 1 so I'm not considering that.

You want to get rid of a player a year early rather than a year late, and ideally getting draft picks that can contribute is the way to do it. Since the Jets package picks so much, getting any pick always helps the Jets. Ideally you want something from 2-5 but the Jets have even traded 7s before. None of these guys is going to fetch a round 1 so I'm not considering that.

Granted, but you also can't be short-sighted about it. With the signing of Jason Taylor, Thomas at least could be replaced (although I'd rather Taylor be a situational player). But who steps in for Ellis or Faneca? These guys may be nearing their end, but that doesn't justify getting rid of them when you have no replacement. Devito is a solid player, but he's already replacing Douglas and the Jets have nobody but him and Ellis. As for Faneca, the Jets have a few backups on the OL, but nobody who has really proven much of anything in the NFL. The most experience any of them have is Turner as jumbo-set TE. If the Jets could get picks for these guys when they really believe they are done then great, but they have to be adequately replaced first. The last thing we need is another Adrien Clarke situation.

Archived